• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Mercenary Dawn: Steel Phoenixes

OOC
Here
Characters
Here
Lore
Here
Other
Here
Abdul stared at his screen, befuddled by the arrival of new walkers. He almost absentmindedly took aim at the Typhoon again before dismissing the arrival of new enemies as an "artistic liberty" of the simulation. What silliness manmade images contained! Abdul snapped his attention back to his targeting computer and corrected for a bit of drift, then sent off another round of missiles. Perhaps a few too many, but so long as it worked, that was quite fine.

Abdul stays in Forest 2

Abdul attacks the Typhoon:
4df = (+bbb) = 1
+2 from Explosive Weapons skill​
+1 from Large Missile Pod​
+1 from Missile Fire Control System​
+2 from free invoke "Shredded Armor" on Typhoon​
Total: 7

Evasion: (b-bb) = -1

Invoke aspect "They're in the Trees" if necessary.

Null had considered doing something like this but had decided against risking a repeat simulator test. It was an impressive show of initiative from one of the others but she couldn't give them full marks because of their choice of opponent. She let out a robotic sigh as her walker unleashed a barrage of weapons fire.

Kinetic Weapons to attack Typhoon

Roll -3 + Skill 1 = -2

Evasion
Roll -2

"Well then, I hate to leave a dance early but it looks like you've got what you needed from me. Time to go introduce myself to a few new friends." He studies his damage and chuckles. "I think I can do just dandy a little longer. They're not the only ones who can do a sudden surprise after all..." Oberon charges forwards, moving back into the field, the large armoured mecha able to charge to the Typhoon and exact some revenge on the Typhoon.

Move to Forest, Stake the Typhoon.

Roll 1+3 Melee Weapons Ante up!: +2 to Melee weapon attack rolls when you move from one zone to another. Burn a Fate point for another +2 because why not. 8 total.

Evasion 1

"Why... are there Gundams on the field? Null? Is this your doing?" Sara asks with more than a bit of amusement before turning her attention to the Typhoon (or the Volcano if that's down).

(Move to Forest 1.)

(Attack: 4df = (b+--) = -1 + 1 (has a gun and knows how to use it) = 0

(Evasion: 4df = (+--+) = 0)

"Gundams?! GUNDAMS?!" Irene shouts over the comms. "I wasted a perfectly good bribe on philistines! Gundams are way higher up the food chain than some Zakus! Watch this!"

What followed was a failure about on the scale of the rest of Irene's performance that day.

What followed after that was a chain of Gaelic profanities so vile that even Akir's ears burned a little at their passing. They were words so hateful and ancient that they settled to the floor of the pod and writhed there in the dark, invisible to the eyes of man.

In the prose of HP Lovecraft, they were indescribable, cyclopean, undulating things from before the dawn of the world, undying and waiting, they would sleep soundly in the cold coffin of the simulation chamber until it was occupied again. The first hapless fool to step into that computerized cell would walk into a nightmare they could not understand nor escape, as the words of curse filled up their soul with bile and utter irritation. They would exit the pod not knowing why they suffered so, only knowing that they must find something to punch, and hard.

Yes.

Irene mad.

To Hit: -1+4=3
Evasion: 0+2=2, use boosters if needed.

"Giant mechanical super robots piloted by people that featured in very old Japanese animation called anime," Sara supplies. "I've seen some of it... and now that I think of it, what we're doing now isn't all that much different from it."

The brutal move of pulling the sword free through the side of the Volcano is too much for the massive war machine and it crumbles to the ground.
((Volcano destroyed))

Null attempts to finish off the Typhoon, but at the last moment it manages to get some trees between them, completely ruining her arm. The same couldn’t be said for Abdul’s attack however, the barrage of high-power missiles ripping into the Walker with savage fury, setting off a chain reaction as the Typhoon’s own warheads are ruptured by the explosions.
((Typhoon destroyed))

Eager to join the fray against the new arrivals, Akir’s massive Walker slams into one of them with its shoulder, the lighter-weight build of the Valkyrie crumbling under the force of the impact. The metal spike from Oberon’s primary weapon impales the second through the cockpit before a barrage of fire from its secondary weapons was used to finish off the last one of the group.
((Valkyrie group destroyed))

Sara carefully aims her rifle at the green-skinned mecha, only to have her aim disrupted when Evans bursts into the fray, slamming his massive fists into, crushing one and leaving a huge impact crate in the chest of the other. Even as the remaining one backpedals from the force of the impact it manages to open fire with its weapon, the heavy shells damaging some of the armor plating protecting Evans.
((Sara misses, Evans does 5 shifts of damage, taking out one of the Zakus and leaving the other in critical shape. Evans takes 1 shift of damage, 2 shift box used))

Despite Irene’s careful aim, the rapid movement of the Sutherlands combined with the hills makes it difficult to get a bead on them. She tries her best however and manages to land a glancing blow against the shoulder of one of them. This doesn’t deter them however as the move in to engage Akir, their spears punching holes into his armor.
((Irene does 1 shift of damage. Akir suffers 2 shifts of damage, 3 shift box used))

((Battle!
Objectives: Destroy the enemy
Aspects: List is long, please refer to the Fate card site.
Terrain:
Sim 2 map.jpg

Locations
Forest 2: Irene, Tanu, Abdul, Evans
Forest: Sara, Zakus
Field: Null, Akir, Sutherlands
Hills: Morrigan

Enemies: 3 Sutherlands, 1 Zaku)))

Last edited:
"So they are a kind of Walker from...what, a cartoon?" Abdul set his sights the Sutherlands and then paused. "Wait. Isn't Annie May a type of- uh..." He decided to just fire the missiles. "Never mind."

Abdul stays in Forest 2

Abdul attacks the Typhoon Sutherlands:
4df = (-+-+) = 0
+2 from Explosive Weapons skill
+1 from Large Missile Pod
+1 from Missile Fire Control System
Total: 4

Evasion: (b+-b) = 0

Invoke aspect "They're in the Trees" if necessary.

Last edited:
"No. I wouldn't torture myself. I feel only hatred and bitterness towards this media since my Japanese lover abandoned me on my death bed." Null replies to Sara in the usual robotic monotone. She directs her walker to fire on the closest standing walker in range. After a moment, she adds levelly, "Don't feel bad. I got even with the bitch in the end."

Kinetic Weapons (Sutherland or Zuka)
Roll 0 + Skill 1 = 1

Evasion
Roll 0

"I'm sorry to hear that. If it makes you feel any better my fiance left me a while back too, after my little accident. She's still alive, though. Well, as far as I know anyway."

"If you want some help getting even after we get out of here, let me know. It can be very cathartic to destroy the life of someone who did you wrong. It doesn't do much for emotional healing or growth, but it's a fantastic power trip." Null replies in the same robotic monotone. It's difficult to tell how serious or sarcastic the words are due to being conveyed by the artificial voicebox.

Last edited:
"Well I haven't seen her that angry since she lost that limited edition toy...Alright. Enough stabbing please. That's my job." Akri comments, delivering a large stake hopefully into the chest of one of the Sutherlands. "Sutherlands? Britannia? Hey. Was that one of her shows? Either way...I don't like it." The grizzled gambler comments as the stake does it's job.

Attack Sutherland with stakey boy.

Rolled 0+3 for 3 total.

Evasion: -2

Tanu grinned. "Hey, we're gonna get revenge on a fiance? Oh, let me tag along! It'll be a revenge party~! I can bring cake and explosives! It'll be a total blast!"

Vampyr walked in a circle while Tanu talked, seeming just as restless as its rider. "Oh by the way, does anyone need repairs? I got a whole load of scrap here! I know it's all just simulation, but it's still fun. And it gives me an excuse to rip apart more walkers!"

Bloodspiller was sparking in places, and half melted in others, and despite that, "I'm fine, lets just get this over with. I am tired of dealing with these dolls." Moving slightly sluggishly, Bloodspiller moved in to take a swing at the Sutherlands.

Attack against Sutherlands- Melee-
(B+++)= 3 + 4 = 7 to hit
Evasion (+-b+)= 1

Irene fires half-heartedly at the Zaku.
"If I'd managed to get Godzilla in here like I wanted, you'd all be sorry. Philistines. Philistines!" she grumbles.
((To Hit: 1+4+1= 6 Evade: -1+2= 1))

Support fire from Null helps keep the Sutherlands in place long enough for two of her allies to move into melee range. Morrigan's giant sword easily cleaves one of them in half while Akir impales the heart of a second upon his stake. The last one attempts to flee to a better position only to be blown apart by a barrage of missiles from Abdul. The lone Zaku doesn't fare any better, a burst of shorter ranged rifle fire ravaging its damaged armor enough where core components took damage and it fell to the ground. With this no targets remained on the field and the simulator began to shut down, the group's displays turning black as various systems powered off.

Upon leaving the simulator pods they would be guided back to the conference room where they originally talked, Dr. Moss already there waiting for them with bottles of water and a basket filled with various protein, granola, and candy bars set on the table. As soon as everyone took a seat he began speaking. "First, I just want to say that despite the hacking of the simulator that you all passed. As such you are cleared to leave the facility and begin mercenary work, but before we into that I'd like to give you a moment to talk about the simulator battles, if you want to."

While he waited for them to begin, or to indicate that they were ready to move on, the doctor started tapping in notes into his PDA.

Null sits down with a robotic groan and leans back in the seat, ignoring the provided drinks and snacks. She didn't have anything to say about the simulation except that she was glad that it was over. She didn't learn anything particularly interesting about the others; they were all competent, free spirited, and driven by their personalities. Basically, typical mercenaries. So she waited to see if anyone else wanted to say anything, someone would probably complain about the lack of teamwork or team spirit or whatever. That was typical mercenary too. There was always someone who grated about the lack of team cohesiveness, which they usually defined as people not doing what they wanted them to do.

Abdul grabbed a bottle of water and dug around in the basket for a peanut butter bar. He made two separate recitations in a very hushed voice and then drank.

"Thank you for these provisions, Dr. Moss. Could you please elaborate on this matter of the hacking?"

Null turns her black reflective visor to look at Irene as the group's newest team member asks about the 'hacking'. The fact that Dr. Moss called that anime invasion 'hacking' could be construed as a professional insult but on the other hand she didn't particularly mind her illicit skillset being besmirched. The less people understood how it actually worked the better. While she waits for Doctor Moss to respond, she silently connects to the backdoor she installed earlier and does a quick search. Nothing.

Sara grabs a granola bar and a water before plopping herself in a chair next to Null, glancing over to her as she takes a drink. "Not an anime fan, I'm guessing?" she asks with some amusement.

Roger glances up at Abdul for a moment before responding. "Someone bribed one of the techs in charge of maintaining the simulation equipment to crudely hack in additional targets based upon the information he was given and had been able to piece together. His superior has mentioned that he will be punished, so that will be taken care of."

"What? Fuck that, he was only doing what I told him to do," Irene said, rolling her eyes. "Like such a piddling hack is worthy of discipline. It had precisely zero affect on the end result. I was betting on at least a few of you getting confused or having fun with it or something! Psh,"Irene shook her head and waved her hand. "I guess it's a good sign you're all so professional, but I was hoping for a more amusing test of your ability to adapt on the fly. Oh well." Irene shrugged. "Anyway, don't punish the tech for doing his job. I'd consider that a personal attack."

"It's interesting an organisation as weird as yer's is coming across would be so by book considering the uh, well frankly I'm a terrorist slash freedom fighter depending on your own ideology so I've worked with all sorts so I'll say it. Based on that battle...

Basically everyone here is not mentally stable, and even the nice smiley ones probably are deranged in some way, if ye like we're a fantastic freakshow, so having a group like ours put together to do merc missions is like kicking over a fairy circle and giving a fuck you to Tir Na Nog, like no offense, but you've got zealots like me and Irene, Abdul is likely similar though for different reasons and uh, well. Sara there is sure nice and cool now but I'm betting there's something under the surface or she's the poor lost soul that gets to mind the freaks. Unlucky love. Morrigan has a clear death wish from that combat style, Null is literally an enigma and Tanu is at best hyperactive and more likely a sadistic soul.

So I'm aware of the trope of the loveable misfits coming together is a great show, but frankly this group is likely to explode in a week or two, so I still don't understand why you want us to go be a Merc unit unless your data gathering objective is literally. 'Whatever the hell I can get from a bunch of psychos'.

So aye, nice to meet you all again, I think someone will likely murder someone else, possibly twice and this'll fall to bits within a month or two. But as the alternative was uh, imprisonment at best and at worst...well, nevermind. Looking forward to working in the crazy house. Try not to die too quick. I'll be armed at all times around all of you, no offense."

Akir grins widely, reaching for another cigar and sighs. "At least I'll be able to smoke these in peace or maybe pieces? Later.

If you want a proper tactical assessment, we got Long range support from Abdul and Irene, Sara seems best in the mid range and guiding folk, Morrigan seems to do best left to her own devices but that don't mean you can't support her. Just do it from afar lest she accidentally hits you too in a frenzy. Unlike Bloodspiller ye may have noticed I do best when charging from place to place and I go faster than you think and I'm heavily armoured. I'll break the path open, then move on, the other closer range folk can then capitalise on that. Irene is a great sniper, and she seems to like finishing off what I tag. We've worked together a long time but she can support you all as well, but she's good at giving me an opening to get out of a bad spot.

Tanu? Null? You seem like some pretty specific support and I think you'll likely do your own thing but Null seems to also be support, she can mess with the enemy and support us, so don't let her get hit. I didn't see much of what you were doing Tanu but it looks like you're a flanker, work with me and Morrigan if you can, and back Sara up if something slips past. Support the team.

That about what you wanted Doc?" Akir asks with a wink.

Last edited:
Tanu happily helped herself to more than her fair share of the candy bars. In fact, she grabbed over half of them from the basket and dragged them over to her seat like some woodland creature stocking for winter. She seemed content with stuffing her face and only half listened to the conversation, tuning in every now and then when her name was mentioned. Like when Akir threw around scandalous accusations of sadism!

"Mmmnoht shadishicc" she mumbles through a mouthful of Xtreme Choco-Nutty Panda™ Bar. Swallowing, she clears her throat. "I'm totally sane! Why do I have to keep telling people this, sheeeeesh~! If you think I'm bonkers you should meet my brother! He's insane!"

She opens another candy bar and gleefully chomps it, rearranging the remaining snacks into a neat pile while she chewed. In the end she made a wobbly tower of bars, their glossy packaging arranged in an alternating pattern of color.

By the time she next spoke she was already onto the next bar. "Sure! I've got your backs! Just leave some scraps for Vampy~! I can fix ya up in no time!"

Users who are viewing this thread

Back