• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Fantasy Men Of Their Word [OOC]

Main
Here
Characters
Here
Lore
Here
Nice, another new guy :) but how could you choose evil over good? A most unwise choice, darkhearted one.

Rusty of Shackleford Rusty of Shackleford
Hey, I've been thinking through Solomon a bit. There are a couple key devices I'd like to have in his life.
1. For his motivation to seek wisdom and mistrust his own judgment, I think a manipulative or traitorous character should have been influencing the people in his life, and not being sure of whether what he perceived was true drove him to seek wisdom so he could discern the truth or draw it out somehow.

2. A wise man who is responsible to his duty and generous to strangers (maybe a poet or a monk or the king/king's father?) is the primary teacher and tutor of Solomon growing up. Solomon likely responded with boredom at first, until something happened to make him realize how valuable the teaching was. This man is either dead before the evil emperor or out of commission by the start of the story.

Our characters could've been under the same tutor but treated very differently. Like he was strategizing his teaching according to our characters' individual strengths and weaknesses, but you know kids never see it that way, so some rivalry or resentment may have emerged. I'd like Solomon to have a time when he would always do what your character told him, like his servant or something, because he wanted to avoid conflict. That way when he's older and the relationship changes, there's that memory.

What are your thoughts? :)

I love it! My character probably always had some disdain for yours, and the supposed favoritism didn't help at all, and only made MC become even more bitter, and focus even more on martial lessons. But he'll of course come around eventually, and have a respect for YC.

I love this character building.

Makes me feel like at least the time i spend carving away of this story is being spent wisely at least by some folks.

Thank you for your labors, Taska, but we dare not accept flattery. It is a trap for the heart.

I love it! My character probably always had some disdain for yours, and the supposed favoritism didn't help at all, and only made MC become even more bitter, and focus even more on martial lessons. But he'll of course come around eventually, and have a respect for YC.
:) Nice, I'm really looking forward to your character.

Yeah and hopefully the manipulative character would serve as the device that ended our conflict and brought us together as brothers and comrades. A forged friendship like that would be a strong source of strength when we face the trials before us!

I ain't new. And to answer your question, because I've played the good guy plenty. I need spice *dab*

Tetro Tetro I'd be glad to let you handle the villain, though your "hand of the emperor" is interesting.

Taska Vilna Taska Vilna General question, not to rush you at all, but just curious: Are our knights traditional warriors with simply armaments of steel and the honor of our spirit, or is there a capacity for magic to some degree, or else a connection to the deities? And regarding magic in general, is it more Arthurian in that it is exceptionally rare for humans to "use" it? What is the sort of "power level" of the evil sorcerer in question? Thanks!

Tetro Tetro I'd be glad to let you handle the villain, though your "hand of the emperor" is interesting.

Taska Vilna Taska Vilna General question, not to rush you at all, but just curious: Are our knights traditional warriors with simply armaments of steel and the honor of our spirit, or is there a capacity for magic to some degree, or else a connection to the deities? And regarding magic in general, is it more Arthurian in that it is exceptionally rare for humans to "use" it? What is the sort of "power level" of the evil sorcerer in question? Thanks!

this is a good question. :V

I should have brought this up earlier when i was doing the theology, but:

While there is no inherent "magic" to the people of this land, there is a strong, visceral connection to their chosen deities. Most clearly in the religious association the people have to Jubileus and her angels. It would not be uncommon to see various angels in their respective habitats or areas of overwatch, tending to the duty of, shall we say, upholding the land. The people of Ardenia have ceremonies of death, presided over by the archangel Gabriel, who takes the good souls back to Jubileus.

The angels, while certainly apparent and part of our world, in this capacity, are not keen to interact with life, per se. They are more seen and felt as the world itself. If this hierarchy were a painting, Life and nature would be the paints, Ardenia the canvas, the angels would be the easel, and Jubileus the painter.

+++

This is explored in more detail in the theology section. :V

Heh. I suppose.

If his every strength is weakness, then his weaknesses and his strengths are his least and his greatest.

Taska Vilna Taska Vilna

No worries if my questions are irrelevant to the plot, please disregard if you deem any of these unnecessary!

What's the theological view on the end of man in this? a la westminster confession ("to glorify God and enjoy Him forever), or is there none known (the purpose of Highest Lady Jubileus inscrutable)?

Do they see man as one who has to pick a side between the two categories of pillars?

Is it a merit or works-based religion wherein they're sort of "scaled" at the end of their life to see if their good deeds/thought outweighed their bad?

The Angels and Demons both roamed the earth? Are there origin stories for them, like how Lucifer fell like lightning from heaven?

It's a bit interesting that the "morning star" would retain a name that indicates light. Is there a reversal in light/dark themes for their religion as opposed to the Judeo-Christian dark/light theme?

Taska Vilna Taska Vilna

No worries if my questions are irrelevant to the plot, please disregard if you deem any of these unnecessary!

What's the theological view on the end of man in this? a la westminster confession ("to glorify God and enjoy Him forever), or is there none known (the purpose of Highest Lady Jubileus inscrutable)?

Do they see man as one who has to pick a side between the two categories of pillars?

Is it a merit or works-based religion wherein they're sort of "scaled" at the end of their life to see if their good deeds/thought outweighed their bad?

The Angels and Demons both roamed the earth? Are there origin stories for them, like how Lucifer fell like lightning from heaven?

It's a bit interesting that the "morning star" would retain a name that indicates light. Is there a reversal in light/dark themes for their religion as opposed to the Judeo-Christian dark/light theme?

Humanity exists as far as it deems fit, but the individual is highlit over the whole.
Tje theology is more of an exploration, as far as society goes, on the fundamental properties of "a god" etc, were they to exist in a definite, tangible format.

Its seen less as a divinity as we would see it i guess, and more as an aspect of existence itself.

The angels and demons, in this way are witnessed as pseudosentient mountains or trees. Extentions of this cosmic beginning that toil upon earth. You mentioned duality before, and that ties in here i think. Good and evil are less, good and evil, more two sides of a coin. I nor god can tell you which actions are good and which are evil. The only truth you can hold in that matter is the one you tell yourself.

In regards to light/dark. (Im a bit limited by my choice of artist) but id like to say that the visual aspects of these things are less designed around light and dark, but more their core values, without attributing a moral compass to shade.

As a canopy of trees casts a shadow over the forest floor, the dark can be a haven for life, just as the light may burn those born to caves and deep oceans.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back