What's new

Melvil Update Part 1.6 (Demo before part 2)

Goldieloxx

you are gold baby. solid gold.
I am not personally a fan.

I wasn't a fan of the whole new tags thing, but it wasn't that hard of a concept to get so I let it go. I didn't like not being able to personalize my tags anymore, and only having a list to choose from, but now I think I see why it's that way. Which now makes sense, but as far as this update goes, I don't like it.

I think most of the updates RPN has done since I've been a member (2013 I think? 15?) have been great. I love the current layout for roleplays, because I think it's simple and easy to navigate. You can't really get much simpler than each section (R/M, fantasy, dice, etc.) having it's own space. I can count on one hand the number of times I've been into the dice section-- because i'm not interested in dice. I generally stick to R/M and fantasy, maybe fandom occasionally.

And yes, through the testing website, I see that I can filter those out and just look at what I'm interested in. But what if someone doesn't understand the tags? Forgets a tag? Misses a tag? Well then I just don't see their roleplay, I guess. Sucks for them, or for me if it's my RP. I really don't want to see the RP styles/genres I'm not interested in, and I dislike the bulky filter search thing on the side of the screen. I'd rather just go to the section of the site I'm interested in, and stay away from those I'm not.

Kaerri

Dannigan's Lady
Administrator
Supporter
If it helps, every thread has to have a prefix, and the prefixes are just the same as the sections we have now. Selecting the Fandom prefix in the filter should give you exactly the same results as going to the Fandom section right now. If you don't select any tags in the filter, you'll see everything that has the prefix you've selected. The tags are just a way to narrow down the search without opening every thread.

Removing personalized tags was necessary for this system, which I know a lot of people didn't like, but it also brought to our attention just how many unnecessary tags there were. I don't mean to say I think anyone's ideas are unnecessary -- I mean we had dozens of different tags for the same thing because of misspellings, alternate spellings, alternate phrasings, etc. If you were looking for, say, a superhero roleplay, you'd have to search for tags that said "superhero," "superheroes," "super hero," "super heroes," "superpowers," "super powers," and all the other variations that anyone has come up with (we actually had 34 separate custom tags for this). It's actually less likely to miss an RP with the predetermined list, just for that reason, and in many cases will make for a quicker search than the old tags.

Again, you don't have to use the tags to search, it's just a more efficient way of doing what people are already doing now.

The Dark Wizard

🔥
Administrator
Well then I just don't see their roleplay, I guess.
Wouldn't a counter argument be that people don't search for roleplays in the active section. Most roleplay recruitment ever done is in the looking for groups section. The Filter in theory should help that.

The way it is now with the sectiosn we have, is the way it will stay forever. We can't make a section per genre, that's why we've tried for the last decade to try really hard to make the infinite number of roleplay types fit in Fantasy, Fandom, Futuristic, or Realistic/Modern based on setting type regardless of the story. As we evaluate the areas with the filter, we can always try to expand sections later, perhaps offer alphabetization, who knows.

I agree with @Goldieloxx. It looks cluttered and like iwaku - a reason why I dont use them. I like simple things.
We are also several magnitudes larger then the mentioned site, one of the issues that come with that is how impossible any search or organization of roleplays has been. This will be a learning adventure and something that will take shape over time if given a chance.

That is why we've shown it to everyone, to get feedback and see how it can improve.

FoxoDemonic

一人の疲れた少年
A while ago we announced an incoming feature that we needed to build up a database for before it could be released. We are getting closer to that time! Right now we are doing what could be considered a bit of a Beta Test of the feature.

Note: I view the site in dark mode currently, so my screenshots are in Dark, sorry.

Roleplay CategoriesOne of the things apart from searchability we wanted to try to address is making everything easier to navigate. So we think the best solution currently is to go from this:
To This:

That means that roleplays on the site have a master type of 1x1, Group, and Dice.

This accomplishes a few things:

First it makes it easier to find what kind of roleplay you are interested in via group size, and secondly, it allows dice to not be hidden away and overwhelmed by the majority of the forum sections.

Inside of Group as an example is where this feature starts to shine, however.

Search FiltersView attachment 584419

This means that roleplays have a master genre/prefix of Fantasy, Fandom, Modern (Realistic/Modern is being separated), Nation Building, Colosseum and Quest. And after that you can also further filter by multiple sub genres, tags and keywords (titles). You can decide if you want to narrow your search to something decently specific or cast a wider net for more vague searches.

Group Example:
This works the same in the 1x1 area.
View attachment 584417

Dice Example:
The dice area filters by dice systems instead of genres.
View attachment 584416

Through this combination of choices, you can better find the roleplays you are searching for. The database will also only get larger the more threads use the sub-genres and tags.

Please do keep in mind that what is being shown and tested today is still subject to change based on testing, constructive feedback, and Staff discussion. You are all welcome to the dev site to experiment and test this new feature and we hope you are excited as we are to bring it to live to the site itself.

Note: You need to use your RpN account to log into the dev site and you will not be able to make new posts/threads/PMs. This feature is not correctly working outside of 1x1, group and dice. The Recruitment areas (looking for player/group) will eventually have this correctly by release.
Oooh! This looks really nice! I'm pretty excited to see it on the site.

Daisie

Optimistic Pessimism
I love it! I love that it greatly cleans up the front page. The front page is a first impression on EVERYONE who comes here, and having so many options smacked at you right off the bat is intimidating, and can drive so many people away. This is clear and digestible in my opinion.

I like the filter. All the tidbits you can press to suit your preferences. While I can't see it fairing too terribly well on mobile, it's a wonderful thing for those who aren't stuck with a phone. Looking forward to it! Onwards and upwards!

Fyuri

ᴍᴏɴᴀᴄʜᴏᴘsɪs
Administrator
Supporter
I love it! I love that it greatly cleans up the front page. The front page is a first impression on EVERYONE who comes here, and having so many options smacked at you right off the bat is intimidating, and can drive so many people away. This is clear and digestible in my opinion.

I like the filter. All the tidbits you can press to suit your preferences. While I can't see it fairing too terribly well on mobile, it's a wonderful thing for those who aren't stuck with a phone. Looking forward to it! Onwards and upwards!
There is supposedly a lil mobile button for the filter, just have to figure it out, lol.

The Dark Wizard

🔥
Administrator

There is supposedly a lil mobile button for the filter, just have to figure it out, lol.
On mobile there is a little icon now that brings out the filter from the side.

Kai-Bird

ѕησωу ωιηgѕ
This looks really great, and it looks like it would help the mobile version be easier to navigate too! Also, I think that is it worth mentioning that after every update, it's a good idea to clear your devices memory/cache/cookies. A pal of mine noticed that the updates sometimes make accessing the site a hassle and that the reply functions such as font and centering tend to vanish randomly.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)