Other Medieval or Modern or Mixed?

LiquidLight

Positive Potato
Roleplay Availability
Roleplay Type(s)
Do you like medieval fantasy, modern fantasy, or mixed fantasy (nexus) best? What setting would you be most drawn to? And why?

Of the fantasy types, the most common for me is medieval fantasy, but I also engage with a lot of urban fantasy. On very rare occasions I’ve also tried futuristic fantasy (distinct from science fantasy which is when the science fiction has the pretense or trapping of a futuristic setting but employs essentially supernatural components), and one memorable time a western fantasy, though my absolute favorite is something I don’t quite have a word for, but which consists of a fantasy setting whose world‘s technology and history are so fundamentally distinct from our own as to not be directly categorizable according to our own history.

Medieval fantasy is my most common both because it’s kind of the default but also because setting it there enables you to have a good reason to employ a lot of fantasy trappings - swords for instance. The magical elements are more relevant in a setting that lacks modern technology and commodities.

That being said many plots I come up with I attach to the idea of the characters or setting being in something more modern. The magic is usually more of a character or plot element, though I do very much prefer settings where magic is integrated into everyday life than those where it is hidden. Either way it’s usually more for certain mystery or slice of life oriented fantasy, and/or for me to incorporate modern commodities and cultural aspects onto the more fantastical elements.

As for my currently nameless favorite type of fantasy, I just love it because of the awesome worldbuilding potential, realized or otherwise. It’s not exactly an easy task to figure a world that is fundamentally alien to the way our own civilization developed and in the process of coming up with it a lot of details end up being filled in. It’s simply fascinating when done right.

Do you like medieval fantasy, modern fantasy, or mixed fantasy (nexus) best? What setting would you be most drawn to? And why?
I prefer my fantasy non-modern. By that I mean it could be medieval, sword and sandals, prehistoric, or any range of prior-to-modern setting. I'll also go for steampunk fantasy. But mixing modern (or futuristic) elements into fantasy stuff isn't something I really get into. Imagine my disappointment when I found out Starfinder was heavily themed in magic and gods and all that.

I guess an exception to all this that I enjoyed back in the day were the Shadowrun games. They still have the "new" ones on Steam. But the first one i played was on the Sega Genesis. I realize it was also a TTRPG, but growing up I never had irl friends that were into RPG stuff.

Last edited:
medieval fantasy is my favorite but i feel like i write modern fantasy settings better, bc modern things are what i know. despite medieval being my favorite here, my medieval knowledge is definitely lacking. plus it's fun imagining fantasy creatures and elements if they were to exist in our current society.

I don't do a lot of fantasy RP these days actually, but when I do I have a preference towards modern or urban fantasy type settings. However, I also love historical fantasy, particularly in non-western settings. I find the western settings are just a little way overdone so I like to expand horizons and explore less trod on territory. Think India, Arabia, China, etc. and all the stories from those countries. So much rich lore that works well for fantasy settings.

My favorite fantasy setting is modern fantasy with some dash of medievalism. Gintama is probably the closest to this. There's aliens, guns, Shonen Jump and drunk samurai in one setting. I think its a fun world to explore.

I also loves a setting where the world of technology is interacting with the world of magic. Trying to adapt or even reject each other because of their differing values.

I'm more of an urban fantasy guy. Grimm was one of my favorite TV shows. I like urban fantasy since I can keep a real world setting and just flavor it with fantasy elements. The concern is, how the fantasy elements jam with the mundane. Also, is there a masquerade in effect? If so, how is is structured? How do they maintain the secrecy? Medieval fantasy, since the fantasy and the mundane interact consistently, does not have this situation. However, there is world building to be done. Of the two, I'd rather work out a masquerade.

medieval fantasy is my favorite but i feel like i write modern fantasy settings better, bc modern things are what i know. despite medieval being my favorite here, my medieval knowledge is definitely lacking. plus it's fun imagining fantasy creatures and elements if they were to exist in our current society.
I'm the same. lol

I don't do anything that is analogous to any time before the 18th century. Medieval, ancient, or prehistoric stuff just isn't usually my thing. That's not to say I only do modern. I like futuristic fantasy, and also have wanted to do fantasy based in eras that are between the two time frames that are most typical, for instance one that takes place in a time like the 1770s.

So from my own personal experience fantasy is less about time period and more about scope.

“Medieval” fantasy is less about the actual time period and more about epic storytelling where your dealing with either kingdom wide threats or some sort of Epic Quest for the McGuffin.

“Modern” fantasy is usually more slice of life style stories dealing with individual character dynamics.

Now there is some overlap of course Harry Potter or House of the Dragon are good examples.

Personally when it comes to fantasy I do slice of life character dynamic stories. I have no particular preference for time period (indeed I offer up multiple options to each new partner). Overwhelmingly they pick modern though so that’s usually where I end up.

But I think that’s more of a combination of people not being comfortable with different historical periods and again the general assumption that slice of life = modern.

I had to psycho-analyze myself to figure this stuff out, lol, but I found myself drawn to medieval for the following reasons:

1) I am innately fascinated with the time period and the differences in how people thought back then compared to now

2) I love the simplicity of vast open worlds based on our own with young and still developing civilizations. And I especially love the greenery and richness of the wildlife which commonly accompany such worlds since I'm a big nature lover

3) When fantasy is added, such as fantasy races, magic, etc, I find it adds a more old school, natural, and almost nostalgic richness to the world that I just adore

4) Dragons. Need I say more? (I know Dragons could be put into any fantasy world regardless of the time period, but still, it's most commonly associated with medieval fantasy)

5) Dragons... Wait, did I say Dragons already? I can't remember. But Dragons.

My preference is for anything that is significantly different from the everyday world I experience. So in a modern setting I'd be more interested if it was set in a foreign country or had some type of subrealm that makes it distinct. I enjoy it most when people create settings based on something they understand better than others, rather than just directly ripping ideas from previously created fantasy settings.

Similarly, "medieval" fantasies are more interesting to me when they're inspired by one or more distinct cultures. For example, my fantasy roleplays tend to get a lot of setting inspiration from Chinese and Japanese folklore. My cousin does roleplays drawing inspiration from Ireland, including many fae characters. In both cases, I particularly enjoy the little world building details that set the world of the roleplay apart in any given game. The distinct personality that some fantasy roleplays have is what draws me to play those settings most.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back