• If your recruitment thread involves completely going off site with your partner(s) then it belongs in the Off-Site Ad Area.
  • This area of the site is governed by the official Recruitment rules. Whether you are looking for players or looking for a roleplay, we recommend you read them and familiarize your self with them. Read the Recruitment Rules Here.

Fantasy Medieval Fantasy RP Interest Check

No worries, King Castle King Castle

Tbh, I'm still gathering info from Goji about it all. Magic Smithing is complicated, lol. I have to know SO MUCH. I'm just glad that Goji is so amazingly relaxed with my onslaught of Q's. He might regret my creativity later, though. xD I'm already considering things like Magic Circle arrows to adhere the arrow to a surface combined with a light-enchanted pebble and a bit of string/glue. xD I assure you guys, though, I have very little intention to actually shoot living things, lol.

My goal with Arenaria is definitely more in protecting everyone else by either harrying the opponents, waylaying them, delaying them, or otherwise impeding their ability to hurt you guys. Also, I do apologize in advance, but Goji and I discussed healing, and I will likely be gently bonking you folks with blunt arrows of life. xD I promise to aim away from your faces, lol.

If it's a well kept secret then I could see my line of thought being obsolete in this case regardless of the accuracy of my theorys. That said if these theorys were right and the badies were to learn this things then some cool but mega evil gear could be out there. Since there are essences of the legal magic then that would imply that forbidden magic could be used by badie smiths(assuming that the channeling of unholy essence doesn't overwrite there natural magic).

So could you make pitfall arrows? Or the opposite elevation arrows to give us the high ground? Or shadow arrows to grasp and entangle anyone who enters it's range? Or truth detection arrows? The last doesn't work from what I understand but maybe you con make some sort of visor or mask (glasses?) That had that one.

Kashima Kashima
In a sense perhaps I was in terms of would it mean I’d have a either/or situation where it concerned Magic or weapon/combat training or if both could be possible without selecting any certain specialization of magic. But now thanks to your help i can move past this line of thought and questions and delve into more options and furthering of other ideas. Thanks again!

Linked teleport arrows or animated arrows for homing. I know you said less murder but just an option. Or maybe you could animate the bow to shoot other arrows for you. Could have two boxes. One animated and one you use. Could have a floating shield while you do your thing for mobile cover.

I dont know what magic I will get yet hoping to work with gm on the whole pact thing and patrons

King Castle King Castle
Truth Detection and Song enchantments do nothing, are known to do nothing, and thus the essence isn't even bottled. Already asked, as that was my initial idea for a magic siphon. A spell that did nothing. xD

As for various arrows, I have a limited range of effects, but the enchantments are reusable, so it's pretty good. I can do a lot of things in a lot of ways. Earth arrows would essentially tear up the ground beneath the flight path of the arrow while active. Any other elements essentially make a burst/blast of the element. As for other stuff, I can enchant broomsticks to levitate, or I could VERY BRIEFLY seal you to a wall or something, which does NOT work as paralysis. I could also put a ward between you and a target with an arrow, but it would block both ways. ANY magic that encroaches on it activates my wards, so ranged magic would be the go-to.

I haven't asked much about Shadowfare magic, but I don't see too much use aside from vision obstruction, considering my limited oomph. Teleport stuff requires a bit more complex stuff to get fancy, but I can short-range blink you to a general area. Kinda risky though, since I can't put you somewhere specific without the equivalent of a receiver point (like a teleportation circle or something).

The Silent Z The Silent Z
Again, glad I could help! If you wanna spitball anything with me, feel free. And, of course, Goji has publicly invited any questions, and I can attest to his viability as an idea board. :)

Karcen Karcen
It's a really, really hard choice, lol. If the Warlock thing doesn't pan out, I wish you the best. I still wonder if I wouldn't enjoy an Alchemist more, but Magic Smithing just seemed so odd and niche, I had to try it. xD

Rassforth Rassforth 100% agreed. We've got some good, active personalities here, and lots of inquisitive, creative minds. This should definitely be fun!

GojiBean GojiBean You should definitely keep the five of us! We're awesome, and already teambuilding! xD

Did I mention we're awesome?

King Castle King Castle
Truth Detection and Song enchantments do nothing, are known to do nothing, and thus the essence isn't even bottled. Already asked, as that was my initial idea for a magic siphon. A spell that did nothing. xD

As for various arrows, I have a limited range of effects, but the enchantments are reusable, so it's pretty good. I can do a lot of things in a lot of ways. Earth arrows would essentially tear up the ground beneath the flight path of the arrow while active. Any other elements essentially make a burst/blast of the element. As for other stuff, I can enchant broomsticks to levitate, or I could VERY BRIEFLY seal you to a wall or something, which does NOT work as paralysis. I could also put a ward between you and a target with an arrow, but it would block both ways. ANY magic that encroaches on it activates my wards, so ranged magic would be the go-to.

I haven't asked much about Shadowfare magic, but I don't see too much use aside from vision obstruction, considering my limited oomph. Teleport stuff requires a bit more complex stuff to get fancy, but I can short-range blink you to a general area. Kinda risky though, since I can't put you somewhere specific without the equivalent of a receiver point (like a teleportation circle or something).

The Silent Z The Silent Z
Again, glad I could help! If you wanna spitball anything with me, feel free. And, of course, Goji has publicly invited any questions, and I can attest to his viability as an idea board. :)

Karcen Karcen
It's a really, really hard choice, lol. If the Warlock thing doesn't pan out, I wish you the best. I still wonder if I wouldn't enjoy an Alchemist more, but Magic Smithing just seemed so odd and niche, I had to try it. xD
Gm allowed it so should be neat we just are working out how it all works in this setting.

Karcen Karcen Hell yeah! I love it! You should totally let me experiment on you for essence.

Err, I mean... Gingerly... Experiment... with your essence?

I promise, I'll be gentle. Maybe.

Shadowfare can be used to bind right? And with teleport arrows could you have a linked pair one to receive shot first and another to grab your target. I've been playing a tactics game where some units can't swim and die in deep water so i put units that can swim and have them use an ability to swap places with a target. You could do the same if you could link two arrows together. Drop someone from a huge height or into a trap.

Hrm... That is actually an excellent idea, and a great knock-off Flying Raijin (a la Naruto). If GojiBean GojiBean allows this, I'll definitely make a receiver arrow, lol. Otherwise, I still plan to shift you guys around like pawns on a chessboard.

You don't move you.
I move you.

King Castle King Castle
As for Shadowfare, I think you normally can, as a mage. However, remember, I get one effect with variable quality per school. Although, with luck and skill, I CAN dual-enchant stuff, apparently. So, for example, a Magic Circle to briefly bind while I plant four Shadowfare arrows to conjure a walls/obstructions to block them in, etc. Like I said, I'm essentially a cantrip mage. :)

But with the dual-enchanting, I could make, for example, a fire/light arrow that both ignites and blinds. Or a water/earth arrow to pull up the ground and rain water into it (#Farmer'sQuest). Should definitely be interesting. :)

So you could animate an arrow to home in and go around corners (for when there is no line if fire) then explode in something. Back on the homing teleport arrows you could drag back an enemy that's fleeing so we all could pounce on em(or whatever else). And I assume there is no summon essence as a smith?

Not quite, King Castle King Castle

Remember, I'm not a spellcaster. Anything requiring magical finesse is very likely outside my means. I could make it float, potentially, but not home in. Even my conjurations are random creatures based on the amount of mana I burn on the activation. If I'm truly unlucky, I could accidentally summon a squid to battle in the desert, lol. And to answer your second Q, which I JUST READ, please see my example in the previous line, lol. xD

The only thing I'm forbidden from is the Truth and Song magics, apparently. Not sure how Divination would work; probably like a dowsing rod or something. Or maybe we are the ones who enchant the crystal balls, lol.

But yeah, fancy complex stuff like flying around like harry potter is a no go. I could make a rod that levitates, or suction cups that adhere to a surface, or even a facemask that uses Shadowfaring to make a visor or something maybe. But if it requires intent, direction, or guidance, I probably can't do it. I'm gonna look into some things, though, cause Goji mentioned some interesting concepts I could possibly apply.

Well, I think I outlasted everyone except Karcen Karcen , lol. Gonna pop off of here for a bit, and then I'll check back. Waiting on like 17 answers from Goji, cause I'm awful and can't let the man sleep. >.<

Kashima Kashima
I might definitely hit you up with some spitballing and idea sounding then! : ) I initially started a pm with GojiBean GojiBean before noticing some of your posts here that touched on similar fields of my broader question and curiosity. But the pm only touched on a small start to the wider and expanded motives and perhaps didn’t ask the right one to start it all. Lol (hindsight is 20/20 and sleep has been weird lately) But good to know as well.

I’ll go back and look at races and schools or magic. But here’s a sample of this initial idea i had and why magic comes into play with the small initial idea:

Race (idk yet)

The character idea that already kinda fascinates me from the start before even delving into any schools of magic and abilities;

The character is old enough to have graduated and have x amount of years since graduating and studying magic, but doesn’t have any interest what so ever in applying for “Master” believing it a waste for one who’s already spent years exhausting himself studying a specific field magic and does not require a title, it’s rewards and benefits nor it’s placing him within a hall alongside other names of masters. He’s a man of (race here) that is comfortable enough in his now more relaxed manner of continued study that he doesn’t need to spend more time and return to exhausting himself for something that’s in his view unnecessary, fame and accomplishment fueled and does not motivate him any longer. He’s a man who once was giddy and beyond inspired to study magic, it’s lore and was more then stoked to have been accepted for study and training during his youth but years of schooling and etc, he’s grown tired of the work and wishes to study it all still but under his own terms. Wanting to explore life as a whole and pursue other goals beyond just magic; pursuing a ten year journey to attempt such a goal of achieving the title and role of master even with all it might offer him if achieved no longer interests him. Thus he’s never even attempted it or truly thought of attempting it.

He’s comfortable and happy as he is and studies, trains himself in magic that he doesn’t require such things. He’s a loose and free spirited, new age perhaps minded enough fellow that he might push the boundaries a bit here and there morally or socially and etc, but overall is just his own person with his own goals and motivations that may not apply or be understood by others.

Though it seems to have quieted, I'm going to make a public request that all conversation with Huntertabbysandshark3 come to an end. I have no intention of interacting with this individual after their blatantly and undeservedly disrespectful behavior and insults of my role-play, its lore, and the way I've constructed it. As well, I have no intention of letting them join or answering any of their questions at this time about the role-play as I consider their right to join forfeit.

So, Huntertabbysandshark3. Please also consider this my formal request that you un-watch this thread (if you haven't already) and any other threads of mine you may have watched up until this point, and cease with the badgering of the people in this thread with your negativity. You are not welcome in this RP (nor any of its threads), and I don't want to see or hear from you again.

I have ignored you, so I will not be alerted to your response. Kindly do the adult thing and quietly take your leave without causing further issues. If you continue with this untoward behavior, I will have no choice but to request that the site's staff intervene.

Thank you.

Ahh... Fascinating! Got room for another?

Hello there. I am giving everyone who's interested the chance to create a character for this RP. However, given the volume of interested parties, I may have to make cuts and limit the number of players/characters we have before we start on Friday, Feb 21. But everyone deserves a fair chance, so feel free to read up and make a character.

And as always, if you've questions, feel free to ask me either here on in the OOC thread, or in private messages.

Thank you!

Okay! This will be a decent text wall for you guys, so... INCOMING!!!

You've been warned.

... Ahem!

Baltana Arkenelle Baltana Arkenelle

I read your first post about being interested to join with a Dark Elf named Baltana. I have no issues with this idea, and I like the premise of his character. But the description you gave does present some issues which I will now go over for you.

Also, a quick note. Please don't take anything I'm about to say below as my being in any way angry, aggressive, or mean-spirited. I have a known bad habit of sounding very blunt when I'm relaying information, and this is made worse by the face that you can't hear my voice. So it's hard to read the way I type as anything but forceful or overly matter-of-fact, sometimes. 😅 So if any of the text below rubs you the wrong way, I apologize ahead of time. I'm just trying to relay the information in the best way I know how.

That said, here we go:

1) There's no difference between Elf and Human years. Elves just stop aging in their early to mid twenties, and start aging again when they're around 80% into their life span (the total of which is around 1,500 years, so they start aging again around age 1,200 or so).

2) If Baltana is only 25, he's only going to be 9 years into his magical training at an academy. The earliest you're allowed to begin your studies in magic within this RP world is age 16. And it must be at an academy where you are accepted in by the Headmasters following an interview with 4 Soul Searchers who make sure that you are true in your words and intentions. If accepted into the academy, it takes the even best and brightest students who pour their entire lives and all of their focus into the practice 20 whole years to make it through and graduate. This leads directly into point 2 below. 👇

3) I'm not sure how literal "even with his quick mastery" was meant to be taken, but I'm a literal little biznitch so... Just as a fact of his age, he's not going to be a Master, nor anywhere close. To become officially recognized as a "Master," graduating from an academy is not enough. You must also petition the United Magical Council for permission to participate in the Master's Trial, which is a 10-year long, uber-intensive program of which only 0.002% succeed. Furthermore, 27.4% of all who petition for and undertake the trial will die from the hardship and intensity of it all. So, to use some numbers for perspective: If there were 100,000 who petitioned and undertook the trial, 27,400 of them would die leaving 72,600 left. Of those 72,600, only 0.002% make it through to the end. The rest drop out. The final tally for successfully recognized Masters of their art... 145 out of 100,000. That's how hard it is to become a Master. So, if you want him to be a master you need my permission. And if granted, I will help you work out the history of his journey through these most grueling 10 years of his life to earn the honor of the mantle of Master.

3) I hadn't really considered psionics, as I'm not familiar with the term. I did a Google search of it to get the idea, and it looks like a Psychic-type deal, correct? Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong, as I claim absolutely zero understanding of this subject matter at this time. So I'm just throwing out a guess based on what I saw from a search. But based on that search and what I did read, I don't think this is going to fit my RP as I am reserving telepathy and other such mental abilities for... Other beings.

That's about it! Baltana sounds like a cool character, and I like the idea of his backstory. So long as you're willing to adjust the details around the information I provided above, you're more than welcome to make his profile in accordance with the Character Profile skeleton on the "Characters" thread (linked on the first page of this thread with all the other pages ;D).

MontagueOfVenezia MontagueOfVenezia

Yes, you may join. Everyone is allowed a fair chance to do so. However, due to the high volume of interested players, I am inevitably going to have to make some cuts down the road as we get closer to the Feb 21st starting date next Friday. So long as you don't mind this reality, you're free to make your character and we'll see what happens!

King Castle King Castle

Kashima Kashima did a great job answering your questions, so for the most part I don't need to say much. However, for both your and her benefit, there is one question that came up from you that I will address (as she kinda needs to know this one going forward too, lol). And the question had to do with a Magical Smith being able to work with mages of X magical affinity for their work. And the simple answer is "No." (Longer answer below) 👇

The Magical Smithing art is part of the economy as much as it is a personal endeavor for the mages who practice. After all, there are thousands of magically imbued weapons put on the market each year. So it's a big deal all the world over.

As such, the technique used by a mage of concentrating mana in just the right way as to harness its purest and simplest essence is taught only to a select few mages who work within this industry. This exclusivity is practiced both as a means to prevent dangerous or malicious misuse of the technique out in the world (as it has a far more dangerous side to it...), it's also to safeguard the integrity of the industry itself by ensuring that their work is not misrepresented out in the world by hacks or scammers.

One final reason for this exclusivity and secrecy of the technique is because, remember, the mana of the world is not infinite. If the industry were to allow anyone to use this technique of harnessing and trapping the essence of a magical art like this, they could do so anywhere at any time, as often as they wanted, and alongside as many others as they wanted. If left unchecked, this could lead to MEGA drains of the world's mana. This could lead to potentially thousands, if not millions of mages being trapped in mana-less zones throughout the world where they can no longer use their magic. And even their ancestors for potentially hundreds of years not being able to use magic until the world's mana finally regenerated.

So yeah. Sadly, Magical Smiths are on their own and must make due with the magical art essences the industry provides them. The industry is very careful to avoid over-harvesting mana for this purpose, and are constantly shifting their operations and carefully maintaining their efforts so as to cause as little damage as possible to the environment and the world's mana pool as it can.

... I think that's it? I think I caught all the questions that needed answering (again, since Kashima did such a great job answering them along the way and basically nailed the response as I would have given it).

Phew.

If you guys have more questions, please direct them to me in PM's from now on, okay?

This interest check has garnered more than enough attention, I think. Haha. So yeah. Let's keep this all to the OOC thread (linked on the first page of this thread) and PM's from now on.

Cheers!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back