• If your recruitment thread involves completely going off site with your partner(s) then it belongs in the Off-Site Ad Area.
  • This area of the site is governed by the official Recruitment rules. Whether you are looking for players or looking for a roleplay, we recommend you read them and familiarize your self with them. Read the Recruitment Rules Here.

Fantasy Medieval Fantasy RP Interest Check

That said, for anyone interested in discussing characters or ideas, feel free to PM me! Especially, since I think I'm Goji's bodyguard at this point. xD Jokes aside, though, I'm definitely looking at a more supporting role, so please don't hesitate to hmu for ideas and plots down the line. Keeping your support informed is important! :D

wow thats actually really sad... like... seriously your the one throwing insults at me i have not made any attempt to insult you or go for personal attacks only go with the system and you still haven't answered my question very well

player can turn off magic yes... but the DM can still just turn off magic... and that still leaves non-mages useless when magic is functioning, and then there possesion magic that just seems like a lovely way to force the character to do thing by the DM mind control just shouldn't be around at all? you see

i find your actions rather sad having gone to personal attacks and rudeness while iv tried to remain as civil as possible

you see everyone this is disappointing people can't take criticism these days or see where there own systems fail in the eyes of others, many of these people don't seem to be able to see it from my side then again i doubt any of you would want to listen to me any more as it seems all of these people have defamed me purly out of spite
Given you arent joining and the magic system er m isnt going to change you may want to just unwatched th er thread and ignore any alerts from here.

well im done, apologies for derailing everything if you would rather i will delete all my posts to clear thing up if you really want that... although i still find it that you reporting me was uncessicary and over stepping
I didn't report you I dont report people just saying that this is as case where you likely wont change anything.

Oof. Can I join, please?? There's just too many to see and know here! AWWW YEAH DRAGONS!!!!!

As of yesterday, Goji has stated he's still accepting characters, although he may have to weed some out due to the attention this has grabbed. I would check each of the links at the start of this thread, read through them thoroughly, and then you can find the character sheet template on the Characters Page. Drop your character sheet, and he said he plans to start 02/21/2020, so we should have a concrete answer by then.

And, MontagueOfVenezia MontagueOfVenezia , I would definitely read past the initial posts, too. Some of the details have been explained in PMs/DMs, or have been explained here in the various threads, mainly this and the OOC thread, I believe. Otherwise, I would find someone with a character of the type you like, and see if they can answer your Qs. Goji seems to be a daytime person somewhere in the US, as I'm EST and he's usually gone by like 12am or 1am. So if, like me, you're on the under end of the spectrum, you've got a brief window for his assistance.

That said, use that window where you've got it, cause he's really good about explaining anything you're unsure of, or getting you a quick answer to any questions.

I think I'm one of only two Magic Smiths, but I'd be happy to share any info I got from Goji on the subject, so if anyone needs deets, I'll copypasta the Word of Goji, lol.

So going by what I’ve seen character wise and posts from Kashima. Characters with a affinity for magic are not limited to just magic but could use a weapon as well and/or hand to hand combat to defend themselves, yes? There for if selecting a unique affinity character to different from others and etc, you wouldn’t be absolutely defenseless and there for killed one day. Ore was that just for specific class of magic like the smiths? (Thanks in advance)

The Silent Z The Silent Z Correct, you can utilize other things than only magic as far as I've been informed. As well, I've also confirmed that Smiths are, quite literally, enchanters. So anything I make, you can use. For example, I could imbue fire magic into your sword, and then you can pour some of the latent mana into the weapon, triggering the bound enchantment and causing the sword to burst into flame. Now, for such things, it would only last as long as you're pouring mana in.

But as far as a non-magical normal weapon? Sure, it's an RP. Not only that, but there are entirely magicless races as noted at the bottom of that link. As such, they would HAVE TO use something else. As well, there are things like Divination, which would have virtually no combat capability. Non-mages are absolutely an option, as are non-combat casters. And for anyone who doesn't have magic, I've got magic for ya. :)

King Castle King Castle

Well, I do know that magic doesn't intermingle in a lot of ways, so I'm reasonably certain you won't see much in the way of healing or holy magic (since all magic is technically holy). Light magic has only been intimated to me (as a basic bitch Magic Smith, lol) as being able to produce light. However, Magic Smiths are unable to cast actual spells, unlike other mages. So, whereas I can create a light, a proper light mage would very, very likely have much more interesting uses beyond that basic ability. For example, I cannot use a "Fireball" or make a wall of flames or anything with fire magic, while a fire mage could do so relatively simply. Yes, you are limited to "Light", but there are any number of ways that can be applied. Just some examples I can think of would include a focused beam to start a (natural) fire, although such a thing would likely be limited to small scale imo, cause it's more about the focusing of the light rather than the light itself. Invisibility through reflection/refraction, mirror images (same principle), obscuring spells (light wall), or even creating surfaces (Hard Light/Solid Light, which is possibly a RL thing depending on who you ask, lol).

Now, without Goji on hand, I can't say anything for sure (cause I'm also a normal player, lol), but he's been really willing to work with me on a lot of stuff. Unlike what the crazy person was implying, he's actively been working with me on *how* to implement anything that *is* possible. So, within reason, I really do think he'll do right by your glowy self!

I hope to see a new Light Mage on our team, soon. :)

But speaking of smiths I saw that you would buy containers of magic for your enchanting. So wouldn't you be able to work directly with a mage of x type instead? If you could get someone particularly skilled couldn't they help with the efficiency of the transfer of power? Especially if they were more skilled in control then the smith. It could be a good way to help train new smiths when it's the enchanting part of training or it could cut costs of going to get bottled magic.

Last edited:
I could see business partnerships happing for that very purpose. Or a smith being sponsored by a master mage would gain quite a bit of attention.

The Silent Z The Silent Z Correct, you can utilize other things than only magic as far as I've been informed. As well, I've also confirmed that Smiths are, quite literally, enchanters. So anything I make, you can use. For example, I could imbue fire magic into your sword, and then you can pour some of the latent mana into the weapon, triggering the bound enchantment and causing the sword to burst into flame. Now, for such things, it would only last as long as you're pouring mana in.

But as far as a non-magical normal weapon? Sure, it's an RP. Not only that, but there are entirely magicless races as noted at the bottom of that link. As such, they would HAVE TO use something else. As well, there are things like Divination, which would have virtually no combat capability. Non-mages are absolutely an option, as are non-combat casters. And for anyone who doesn't have magic, I've got magic for ya. :)
Oh cool more expansive then I thought in terms of options for mage beyond that one affinity. I was under a very literal and limited impression based off what I read in races and magic lore/system, so couldn’t imagine a single idea that could be quite unique without being extremely singular in ability, which could lead to lacking ability defend themselves if need be or offer ability wise. (Polingul for example: A character could understand different languages for a time, but get killed by the simplest of attackers cause they’d have no options to defend themselves) So I’m glad to know more options are out there for mages beyond just whatever affinity they chose to study, that alone is a major boost for ideas and etc. Being able to wield a normal weapon or combat with or without a weapon besides their affinity is nice to have option wise. Magically imbued weapons is just a nice bonus.

I don’t know what interests me yet race and affinity wise, was stuck on that for a time. Looked over the magic lore and race info threads and couldn’t exactly find an answer. So thanks! Helped a lot Kashima.

I looked at non magical races too. But so far only character idea I have is just a personality of one that lends to background and history as one who studied magic at the whatever school they might have attended graduated from. Cause that all that shapes the character and idea quite a bit. I know I want something unique and different from what might be chosen by others and popular/offers the most options/power or strength and etc, but don’t want find out I’ve chosen a idea that means they are obsolete/defenseless/etc in a rp where combat and self defense would be left to a constant guard or dying right off the bat. Haha. Not hating on such ideas and could still even select one, but just speaking on all that’s playing in mind and crossing it.

I know I want something unique and different from what might be chosen by others and popular/offers the most options/power or strength and etc, but don’t want find out I’ve chosen a idea that means they are obsolete/defenseless/etc in a rp where combat and self defense would be left to a constant guard or dying right off the bat. Haha. Not hating on such ideas and could still even select one, but just speaking on all that’s playing in mind and crossing it.
I have similar feelings in that regard. I want to make a skilled mage in line with a magic knight but by the time he would be really skilled at magic he would be pretty old by human standards to still try for the whole knight in plate bit. I still like the idea of a old guy on one last adventure before going off and retiring though. It just means he's going to have a harder time keeping up with the physical violence part of adventure.

The Silent Z The Silent Z Mind you, that variation is almost exclusively for Magic Smiths. A fire mage still uses only fire magic, but can do a LOT more with that fire magic than I could as a Smith. So do bear in mind, most ARE extremely specialized. However, thinking outside the box does certain things. For example, what happens when you drop an advanced fire spell to create a massive burst of heat inside a lake? Fun things, that's what. Gotta love the concept of superheating! xD

Similarly, what happens when you superheat the sap inside of a tree? Or trigger an explosion within a fissure in a cliff face? While the basic concept may be specialized, it is up to the mage in question to determine how you want to apply the abilities. Even Warding mages have offensive capabilities depending on how they're used. Sucks to be a fire mage whose fireball is caught in a semi-spherical Ward that loops the now-caught flame around and back at the fire mage in question. xD Alternately, too many wards in one place, when set off, can often detonate... aggressively. What happens when you intentionally overward something and I drop a fire-enhanced arrow on it? A lot of dead orcs. xD

My advice would truly be to do whatever you like, and everyone else be damned. I didn't even look at anyone's sheets before creation, and still haven't. As far as I'm concerned, the most valuable guy in the party is usually the one that can't do much in combat. I've always loved Divination and Illusion mages in D&D, as they're arguably far more useful than any Evocation Wizard, lol. Big booms are neat and shiny, but anyone can do that.

King Castle King Castle
As far as I can tell, I don't seem to be able to steal your essence, lol. I could be wrong, as I never asked directly, but the way things were phrased, I don't believe I can simply take it on the spot. As well, Magic Smithing works very differently from typical spellcasting, so the biggest use of a mage on-hand would potentially be as a battery to drain, lol. That said, I specialize in preparing magical toys in advance, and then making adequate usage of them on the fly. So I wouldn't worry too much about funding me, as I'm sure we'll have a decent reason for a bunch of complete strangers to work together as a team. xD

The Silent Z The Silent Z Mind you, that variation is almost exclusively for Magic Smiths. A fire mage still uses only fire magic, but can do a LOT more with that fire magic than I could as a Smith. So do bear in mind, most ARE extremely specialized. However, thinking outside the box does certain things. For example, what happens when you drop an advanced fire spell to create a massive burst of heat inside a lake? Fun things, that's what. Gotta love the concept of superheating! xD

Similarly, what happens when you superheat the sap inside of a tree? Or trigger an explosion within a fissure in a cliff face? While the basic concept may be specialized, it is up to the mage in question to determine how you want to apply the abilities. Even Warding mages have offensive capabilities depending on how they're used. Sucks to be a fire mage whose fireball is caught in a semi-spherical Ward that loops the now-caught flame around and back at the fire mage in question. xD Alternately, too many wards in one place, when set off, can often detonate... aggressively. What happens when you intentionally overward something and I drop a fire-enhanced arrow on it? A lot of dead orcs. xD

My advice would truly be to do whatever you like, and everyone else be damned. I didn't even look at anyone's sheets before creation, and still haven't. As far as I'm concerned, the most valuable guy in the party is usually the one that can't do much in combat. I've always loved Divination and Illusion mages in D&D, as they're arguably far more useful than any Evocation Wizard, lol. Big booms are neat and shiny, but anyone can do that.

King Castle King Castle
As far as I can tell, I don't seem to be able to steal your essence, lol. I could be wrong, as I never asked directly, but the way things were phrased, I don't believe I can simply take it on the spot. As well, Magic Smithing works very differently from typical spellcasting, so the biggest use of a mage on-hand would potentially be as a battery to drain, lol. That said, I specialize in preparing magical toys in advance, and then making adequate usage of them on the fly. So I wouldn't worry too much about funding me, as I'm sure we'll have a decent reason for a bunch of complete strangers to work together as a team. xD
I think to some degree we had a slight misunderstanding of each other. Haha or you’re aware of what I meant and just clarifying to ensure we are on the same page. If so, that’s cool but just want to clarify, I understand only magic smiths can actually imbue weapons with magical ability, i just was focusing in on the part where you said you could imbue someone else’s weapon and they can use it as long as they had mana to sustain it. That was a cool detail to know and confirmed what overall I was wondering about and that was if mages could even have non magical abilities like martial training besides their chosen affinity.

I was looking over each school/affinity of magic and picturing what all they could do and etc like you are explaining, I explored them creatively but was stuck on the thought a character of possessing a affinity meant they could not have any martial training and ability to defend themselves and etc outside what their affinity may or may not offer. So truly, I’ve explored the creative sides before asking here and pm, but nothing popped out under that impression cause I was not fully certain of what could and could not be explored once a affinity is chosen.

I appreciate the info and any further help you could offer with ideas and info, etc though! Just wanted to clarify as well where I’m at in the thought process and what’s been considered and explored. Like I said just a personality of a character and how it plays into history and such as come to mind so far.

Edit: Can’t say I’ve played D&D though xd

Also multiple mages working together could allow for them to split the strain of high intensity magic. It seems a mage uses there own body as a wand or power cable. The spell is what's being powered the mage is the cable and the mana in the environment is the outlet. As such it's implied that would put strain of the body( a guy died trying to summon a dragon. Maybe he would have lived if he had help sharing the strain. It was in the middle of working after all).

I did mean a mage working with a smith actively and not as some sort of battery slave. But it seemed to be implied that the skill of the mage that harnesses the magic power affects the potency of the enchantment (presumably due to better density and/or purity of the mana). It seemed that a smith buys mana from specialized retailers to do the enchanting and the retailers get the mana from mages. If a smith could get a direct partnership with a skilled mage then they could ensure reliable quality of their work via consistent mana quality. This would also let them skip the middle men in this process. And I did not mean it as a method to sponsor anyone for story purposes. Just to discuss this as a natural consequence of the nature of the setting.

The Silent Z The Silent Z
Firstly, yes, I did misunderstand the first part. I thought you felt pidgeonholed by the specialization of the magic styles, not that you felt locked as a mage, so that's my error. Either way, I'm glad I can help!

King Castle King Castle
Also, for the sake of accuracy, I don't store mana in the object, I use "Essence". I am assuming this comes from mages, though, as it would be Fire Essence or Warding Essence. That is the crafting part. The using part is where mana comes in, as the user essentially flushes the item with Mana which activates the essence, triggering the effect. Better smiths make higher quality items, which have higher ranges of effect. However, mana control (your skill as the user) determines how much of the items potential you can tap.

---

Edit: So, per above, I have come bearing the Holy Word of Goji on the matter!

"
So, your question about the efficiency of the effect by a magically imbued item is a good one.

Do you remember the part about utilizing mana to transfer the essence from the bottle to the material? Well, this is where Magical Smiths make or break the quality and efficiency of the resulting item. If you pour a lot of mana into this phase of the process, the item will be imbued with a lot of mana which will make its reactions inherently more powerful.

In this way, you are able to control how potent the different items you Smith are. You could make some arrows, for instance, weaker so they only produce a tiny flash of light for close-quarters bursts to blind enemies while protecting the eyes of allies. Or you could imbue one particular arrow with a much higher level of magical energy so its effect is inherently much larger and more potent, for use against larger groups of enemies when allies and their proximity isn't quite as big of an issue.

And yes, this does stack with your ability to flush the item with mana after its forging. So while you can't spellcast, the amount of mana you pour in at the transfer phase from bottle to material will combine with the amount you flush into it in combat to create a highly devastating effect. " -GojiBean

---

In addition to that, I think the middle man is a requirement, as Goji has also stated that there are very few individuals who purvey such things. My take is that it would be/was a move by the BigWigMagicBoiiis to prevent literal battery slaves, lol. Could you imagine, in a realistically behaved setting, how horrible Magic Smiths would be? We'd be in the same list with Necromancy, lol! No matter how much I want to be a good guy, I would still be tempted to manacle all of you as my power-slaves and be the hero. xD

"Everyone hold hands, now, so I can murder all the bad guys... BY THE GODS, YES, YOU WILL GET A FRIGGIN COOKIE AFTERWARD!"

Last edited:
Thanks for clarifying the essence bit. And I was thinking that it was mages that provided the essence in the first place(could be wrong). Also if mages do manufacture essence and a smith has to convert as much of it as they can while limiting the leak of it then I was thinking that a mage might be able to make as much essence as a smith could handle without leak as a smaller stream of it(up to the smiths capacity per second/x amount of time). Or that a mage that makes essence would have to channel it so that it could be contained could in theory hold the essence in "place" so as to limit leak in the same way that they normally "bottle" it. Or if they don't make but do channel it into usable form they could grab any leakage and redirect back to the smith again allowing more of the essence to be used per batch.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back