• If your recruitment thread involves completely going off site with your partner(s) then it belongs in the Off-Site Ad Area.
  • This area of the site is governed by the official Recruitment rules. Whether you are looking for players or looking for a roleplay, we recommend you read them and familiarize your self with them. Read the Recruitment Rules Here.

Fantasy Medieval Fantasy RP Interest Check

GojiBean GojiBean
Hey, I'm gonna drop out. Most to the characters on here are ten times better then mine, so I feel a little out classed. But I wish you the best of luck with this.

GojiBean GojiBean
Hey, I'm gonna drop out. Most to the characters on here are ten times better then mine, so I feel a little out classed. But I wish you the best of luck with this.

Good afternoon. I'm sorry you feel overwhelmed by the other characters. If you'd ever like some help with practicing character creation to match or surpass the quality you saw here, let me know! I'd be happy to mentor you as a 20-year roleplaying vet!

Good luck!

Good afternoon. I'm sorry you feel overwhelmed by the other characters. If you'd ever like some help with practicing character creation to match or surpass the quality you saw here, let me know! I'd be happy to mentor you as a 20-year roleplaying vet!

Good luck!
Thanks, but no thanks.

ok btw does summoning usually cost a lot of the user or only when prolonged, or when the beast summoned is strong

I just realized as I was combing through this thread that I missed answering this question. I'm so sorry! :xFeek:

Anyway, by "summoning," are you referring to Conjuration magic which calls the spectral beasts to your aid? If so, Conjuration magic allows the user to tap into another Realm entirely which is where those spectral creatures come from. It's something of a parallel world to our own. And the larger the creature, the more energy and concentration and mana it takes to summon it. However, this scaling is exponential. Not linear. So between creatures that are relatively equal size, the larger you go, the more energy it takes.

Also, when you summon them, you create an invisible link between yourself and them. If this link is severed, either by your own death or by other environmental factors like another mage's magic severing it, the creature returns to the spectral realm. It's impossible to kill a spectral creature. But you can force them back if you know how to find and sever that link. The good thing is that not many mages know how to do this, and I have no intention of revealing the secret anytime soon. :xFwink:

Examples of Conjuration and how much energy it takes:

• Summoning a spectral horse would get an experienced Conjuration mage winded for all of five seconds. Take a few deep breaths, and you're good to do it again. But each subsequent summoning would require slightly more energy due to the fact that you just drained a bit of mana from the environment.

• Summoning a spectral Griffon, which is about three times the size of a horse, takes substantially more energy. Summoning one of them is possible for an experienced Conjuration mage, but would make them instantly drop to their knees as if they'd been hit in the chest by a sledge hammer. And they'd be useless for the rest of the battle. So the most experienced Conjuration mages, even if this is possible, know to maintain themselves by summoning smaller creatures which allow them to contribute more to the battle than one beast.

• Summoning a spectral Dragon?... Well, nobody's successfully summoned one... Yet. There was one Master Conjuration mage about a hundred years ago who came close. But sadly the strain killed him just before the spectral Dragon finished materializing which resulted in it returning to the spectral realm.

So one last thing about Conjuration to remember is that the power of the link between you and the spectral creature wears off naturally fairly quickly. Depending on how much mana you poured into it, the link will dissipate anywhere from 30 seconds to 1 minute after the creature appears. If you really put your all into it, and you're someone who really knows what they're doing, you might get 1:30 out of them before they're gone.

Hopefully that answered the question. Sorry for throwing a wall of text at you. I have a bad habit of that. 😅

If you have more questions, feel free to let me know!

For everyone still here, I have completed the page about what kinds of creatures are in the RP (or at least gave a basic explanation as to how some of the more famous creatures behave and look). I also added in a little bit about how far realism will go in the RP with respect to purely physical abilities (magic is magic, so screw realism on that one), and added what my expectations are for the RP overall!

Please follow this link to read up!

And thanks!

If you haven't already, please go to the OOC page (linked in the first post of this thread) and watch it because, once we know exactly who's still in and when we start, we won't be coming back to this Interest Check. I'm aiming for next Friday, 2/21/2020, to be the RP's official launch day. So mark it on your calendar, and let's get ready to have some fun!

Thank you!

I'm interested if there is still space :)

Hi there.

There's always room for character submissions.

But I will be honest that, depending on how many people stick with us until the expected starting date next Friday, I may have to make cuts later on. But for now, I'm not expecting to. So go ahead and read up on the RP (all links in the first page of this thread) and see if you want to make a character!

I would definitely be interested in joining in on this, if you're still looking. I saw your Interest Check and literally joined the site after reading your overview. :)

I do have a question on the Magic Smithing, as well as some of the combat mechanics involved in it. So, clearly, it's an enhancement/enchantment type of magic, but what is the exact mechanic of imbuing the energy? Is it Paolini-esque, in that it is stored within gems inlaid in the items? Or do the hides/ores/materials of certain things/regions alter/adjust the quality or quantity of magic that can be stored? As well, due to the impressively large array of magic types, to what degree does Magic Smithing interact or overlap with them?

Some examples that might make answering me easier;
Where in the item is the magic stored?
Can I create a flaming sword?
Can I make arrows with hindering/trapping spells?
Could I imbue an object (pebble, arrow, sword) with light?
Can I create lightning-resistant armor?
Is the magic stored at the time of the item's creation, or is it something that can be added later?
Is it a permanent effect, or does the enchantment have a lifespan/duration?
Do I have more questions? (Yes, but I'll save them for now, lol)

On a side note, I would've PM'd you, but I'm not allowed yet. xD Sorry for the onslaught of questions, lol. The Magic Smithing stuff really caught my eye, but I wanna know what I'm getting into before I do a whole character. xD

Last edited:
Haha. No worries.

Sadly, no to both. I had planned on telekinesis being more of a Deity thing than a mortal thing. And Ice, sadly, was excluded from the magic stuffs because it's a little more complex than it's worth. To explain how it works, I'd have to make something up like mana manipulating the temperature of the water to control its state of matter. And justifying one form of magic being able to alter the state of matter was more trouble than it was worth, to me.

Sowwy.

Actually, Terry Goodkind approached an interesting facet of "Ice" magic in his novels. His magic system did not allow one to create something from nothing, or to eradicate things. As such, a common theme was changing what was to something new. For example, assuming you were using Fire Magic, then rather than creating raw, straight up fire, one could draw the thermal energy from their surroundings in a similar sense to the magical theme you've explained. Since, physics-wise, cold is the absence of heat, by removing the heat in a pool of water to create a fireball, you could also create an ice sheet as well. :P Little roundabout, but something to consider for Fire mages. ;)

I would definitely be interested in joining in on this, if you're still looking. I saw your Interest Check and literally joined the site after reading your overview. :)

I do have a question on the Magic Smithing, as well as some of the combat mechanics involved in it. So, clearly, it's an enhancement/enchantment type of magic, but what is the exact mechanic of imbuing the energy? Is it Paolini-esque, in that it is stored within gems inlaid in the items? Or do the hides/ores/materials of certain things/regions alter/adjust the quality or quantity of magic that can be stored? As well, due to the impressively large array of magic types, to what degree does Magic Smithing interact or overlap with them?

Some examples that might make answering me easier;
Where in the item is the magic stored?
Can I create a flaming sword?
Can I make arrows with hindering/trapping spells?
Could I imbue an object (pebble, arrow, sword) with light?
Can I create lightning-resistant armor?
Is the magic stored at the time of the item's creation, or is it something that can be added later?
Is it a permanent effect, or does the enchantment have a lifespan/duration?
Do I have more questions? (Yes, but I'll save them for now, lol)

On a side note, I would've PM'd you, but I'm not allowed yet. xD Sorry for the onslaught of questions, lol. The Magic Smithing stuff really caught my eye, but I wanna know what I'm getting into before I do a whole character. xD

Phew! Okie dokie then!

First, I like you already for referencing Terry Goodkind. His Sword of Truth series is a MAJOR influence on my writing. Faith of the Fallen was my favorite in the series.

Anyway, enough Goodkind gushing out of me.

QUESTIONS!!

(clears throat)

So, Magical Smithing.

For the sake of simplicity, what happens in this Magical art is that the Magical Smith (aka you) must purchase, from specially licensed traders whom you come to know quite well since there are very few of them, bottled magical energy containing the essences of all the different magical affinities. Once you have those bottles, you can tap into the mana that sustains the magical essences within and transfer it into the material of the weapon itself. Once the essence is housed inside the material, it's there to stay. Where you lose a bit of it is during the transfer process, as the essence within each bottle is of an affinity not your own. So there's going to be a bit of mana leakage, so to speak. The more efficiently you work, the less mana (and thus, potency) is lost and the higher quality the results of your work will be (which means you can charge higher prices).

So, the question list:

1) The magic is stored in the material of the weapon itself, or, rather, the essence of the affinity is stored in the material.
2) No, a flaming sword isn't a thing. However, the user of the sword, by flushing mana through it, can cause a fire-affinity imbued sword to unleash a small amount of fire from the blade for a brief moment.
3) Sadly, no. Arrows cannot have fully realized spells stored within them.
4) Light magic is a thing, so yes, you can imbue a weapon/object with the essence of Light Magic which will create a blinding flash of light upon flushing it with mana.
5) Sadly, no. There is no resistance to lightning in the RP.
6) The magical essence can be stored in an already-forged item, or it can be imbued at any time during the actual forging process of a weapon.
7) Permanent effect. The potency is partly determined by your skill with the mana-essence transfer process, and the user's skill with flushing it with mana to activate the essence's effects and control the effect.

As for ice and temperature stuffs, I'm staying away from it for this RP. Normally I might go with the physics of it, but I found it easier to say that focusing mana generates spontaneous combustion, which results in natural fire that can then be manipulated by enforcing your will on the mana in the environment to shape and direct it as desired.

Messing with temperatures felt a little excessive to me, and left it open for too many other complications like whether or not a water mage should be able to boil the water and generate/control steam, or fire mages generating lightning like in ATLA by superheating the air to create plasma.

So yeah. Water magic is water magic, and fire magic is fire magic. I like to keep things simple these days. Lol.

Last edited:
Well, you had me with the music.

I believe I'd be very much interested in joining, if I may speak to you later.

Well, you had me with the music.

I believe I'd be very much interested in joining, if I may speak to you later.

Certainly.

Send me a pm whenever you have the time, or write me here in the OOC if you don't mind the conversation being public.

Certainly.

Send me a pm whenever you have the time, or write me here in the OOC if you don't mind the conversation being public.
I'm fairly new to this type of forum due an early loss of the device that had this password.

Lost in touch so to say. And to avoid filling this place, I'll try to take it to PMs...

hey soo GojiBean GojiBean this still open? Would a necomacer girl with a fear of living people be ok Here?

Hi there.

Yes, the RP is open right now. The official start date it expected to be (though it may change) next Friday, Feb 21. As we get closer I may have to make cuts, but I'm giving everyone a fair chance to throw their lot in and participate.

As for Necromancy, unfortunately, no. Necromancy is a "bad guy" only magical type, as are a few others. On the first post of this thread, you can find links to all of the RP's current information that you'll need to understand what you're getting into.

So please feel free to read up and see if you're still interested after you've had the chance to take it all in!

Cheers!

I must agree, most magical abilities are defined as evil or good depending how you use them, the rest is just infamy on the magic due constant use of it for sinister reasons.

exactly my point in one world fire magic or healing magic could be considered evil

healing magic in the sense it was first discovered by some ruthless trant to keep his soldier fighter no matter what thusly gaining its infamy and stigma as a tool of evil.
Quite an interesting way to describe it, to be fair.

Indeed any magic as any tool or person can be evil if used for malevolent reasons as anything can be holy if used in a religious quest or by a religious person for pious reasons.

Well that’s disappointing especially the necromancy part I cant see why everyone throws it in as evil... almost all resurrection magic is a form of necromancy,

and well it being a bad guy magic makes sense with the backstory I wanted to go with... kidnapped and raised by a lich to murder previous family... becuse of hatred of said family. Thusly i do find that restriction rather unfortunate in the forced restrI turn of magic purely based on “oh razing dead is evil”

It also depends on the specific methodology of the resurrection? What if Necromancy worked by harnessing the soul as a battery of sorts, leaving the being undead and mindless, simply powering it via its original soul, burning away the very essence of their existence in this world and all others, for your benefit? Is that still potentially good? What if Necromancy is harnessing unholy (anti-divine/inherently evil) energies to turn a corpse into a soulless puppet?

Even in Dungeons and Dragons, Necromancy and Resurrection are different things, not due to the inherent morality issue, but due purely to the fact that they are powered by negative energy, whereas the living are powered by positive energy. Thus, they can be more accurately described as Anti-Living rather than Undead, as they are quite literally the antithesis of living creatures.

exactly my point in one world fire magic or healing magic could be considered evil

healing magic in the sense it was first discovered by some ruthless trant to keep his soldier fighter no matter what thusly gaining its infamy and stigma as a tool of evil.

And while it is true that the inherent worldview on a particular subject or aspect is determined by the storyteller, if that is the case, then we should be standing with the logic of, "While in one world, fire magic or healing magic could be considered evil, in this one it is Necromancy, among other things, that is considered evil."

My Face to Your Fist Style only works in Kung Pow, and you aren't Wimp Lo, so let's not discuss what haves, could've beens, and opposite worlds. I joined RPN specifically for this campaign, and have been talking with Goji extensively. He has a very defined vision for what he wants, and is willing to answer as many questions as you may have. TRUST ME. But as someone who has played and DM'd lots of tabletops, and who has been doing online RP for a long while, let me say this... Don't argue the DM, lol.

Well that’s disappointing especially the necromancy part I cant see why everyone throws it in as evil... almost all resurrection magic is a form of necromancy,

and well it being a bad guy magic makes sense with the backstory I wanted to go with... kidnapped and raised by a lich to murder previous family... becuse of hatred of said family. Thusly i do find that restriction rather unfortunate in the forced restrI turn of magic purely based on “oh razing dead is evil”

I can understand the sentiment. Necromancy is actually one of my favorite forms of magic when it comes to other RP's or games with that mechanic.

So, allow me to explain the decision behind why it is the way it is. After all, I never make arbitrary decisions when it comes to my RP world mechanics. There's always a purpose to it. And in this case, it's "balance."

In this RP's lore, the mana that exists in the Mortal World (and fuels the ability of the humanoid races to use magical arts) is the essence of the Deities of light who reside in the Higher Plane. As such, all magical forms practiced by your typical Earthly beings like humans, elves, and the like are born from that light, and are inherently benign. None of them have inherently destructive or malicious intent behind their creation or use. Furthermore, in the academy, you are taught from day one to exercise patience and restraint for the purpose of doing as little harm to the world as possible.

The Deities of Darkness, aka the Demons of the Nether Realm and the Evil King (aka the Devil), are where the dark magical powers come from. Their power is toxic enough to permeate the barrier between worlds and infect some members of the humanoid races with trace amounts of evil mana/essence that enhance the darkness already present within their hearts. And thus, the darker magical arts were created by learning to harness and control this dark essence. And part of what makes it so dangerous is that, once harnessed, this evil essence overpowers and destroys whatever other magical affinity the user used to have and grants them the power of darkness they most desire from the four forbidden arts.

To raise the dead is not a benign action. In this RP's lore, Necromancy revolves around stealing the spirits from the Realm of the Dead and forcing them to live again in a (likely) decaying body, and controlling their every action against their will. Not only that, but once raised in a body the spirits are able to feel what happens to that body. So if a warrior from our team stabs the body, the spirit feels it as if they were stabbed in life. But what's worse is they cannot die until either the mage controlling them releases them, or the body is outright destroyed. But they will feel all of it before they are forcibly returned to the Realm of the Dead.

So the questions our characters must face when they encounter Necromancers are... Which is worse? Letting the wicked control the spirits against their will? Or giving them a merciful, but painful second experience of death?

In closing... Necromancy, along with Possession, Siphon, and Memory magics, are all inherently malicious and born of desire to take advantage of others in destructive ways. And as such, they were made for enemies only.

So, hopefully you understand why Necromancy is for enemies only in this RP. Because of how I constructed the lore around mana being the essence of the Deities of Light, I had to choose a sensible contrast to it for those under the influence of the Deities of Darkness, aka the Demons. And Necromancy, along with the other three, fit the bill quite nicely.

Thank you!

Karcen, Goji has a pretty specific list of magic you can utilize, and its one type of magic each. Interesting magics, though. I'm looking at basically being a cantrip wizard, lol.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back