• If your recruitment thread involves completely going off site with your partner(s) then it belongs in the Off-Site Ad Area.
  • This area of the site is governed by the official Recruitment rules. Whether you are looking for players or looking for a roleplay, we recommend you read them and familiarize your self with them. Read the Recruitment Rules Here.

Fantasy Medieval Fantasy [Lit.]

Krutiika

Hi Guys,
This is a thread to work on our story for a medieval fantasy. We are a small group RP. We have potential space for one more person and so I have not dubbed this a closed thread yet. We will primarily be using this thread for story development/discussion. If you're interested, please DM me :] Thanks

Update 24/6/22:
We now have 4 players and so are now closed. If you are interested on joining, please DM me, and if anything changes/new slots open up, I'll be sure to let you know :]

Update 13/7/22:
We are back to 3 players, so we have space for one more

Initial building blocks to springboard off of:

BG:
There was once a land where mountains scratched the skies and where the plains swept across the landscape. It was a land known by the name of Emiror (ee-my-roar), a land where the deserts stretched towards the horizon and the oceans beyond the skyline, a land where the air danced with whispers and the shadows were riddled with secrets. It was a land much different to our own, and a land in which our story is set.

Long ago, in the times now forgotten, the written word was a tool handled with great delicacy. Only a few could harness the skill, and even less could unlock its true potential. It was thought of as a gift, only the blessed ones could acquire, so how was it, that from these mere words, a curse was stemmed?

Minds back then were curious, forever seeking, forever searching. They wanted to understand the basis of life, of magic and eternity. They enjoyed exploring and mixing the three worlds together. The thought of molecules and atoms mixing with vibrations and power was a thrilling concept and one that innovated the way the people thought. It was a new channel to explore, one that had been untouched. And it was in this scavenging that the Scrolls were written.

The scrolls were a series of experiments with words and magic which resulted in a formula that uncovered the truth of living forever. Ironically the crazy old mind that had dabbled in this aspect of science died before he could complete his work, leaving his Scrolls to the hands of fate.

Our story begins on the fourth day on the fortieth year at 3.59am. A single minute before the words that were inscribed many millennia ago are to come to life. 60 seconds before the lives of six souls are to be altered forever.

Those who had some how, some way uncovered a Scroll were now bound by its words. It wasn’t a curse held individually however, but together as one. They were six limbs of the same bodice, six puppets played by the same string. For without one the curse had little to no chance of being broken.

These six, now whose fate lay with the past were to be brought together once their minute was up. Taken from their respective lives, they are to be thrown in an unfamiliar land of intricate caves, with nothing but themselves and each other. As they leave a gap in their former lives, how will their absence take a toll on loose ends they’ve left behind?

The tales of the cursed and their former lives are now in your hands, for you to unravel.

Plot:
The plot isn’t a full in-depth x + y = z set of instructions, it’s pretty much just a starting point, something to find your footing so that you can head off into the world of Emiror. Remember this is freeform, so its an open playing field.

The six “Forevers” are about to be sent to the intricate maze of caves in the middle of nowhere. Remember, you have a minute to do with what you will, but then they are tied to the hands of fate. They don’t know what’s going on, where they are etc. Ie. Utter confusion and chaos.

Meanwhile in the Royal Chambers, the Military and the Council are planning to overthrow the Empress, individually. They aren’t in it together. Not only this, but a rebellion is forming under the influence of The Light.

Like I say, we don’t know as of yet whether the Empress or The Light are good or bad characters, this is for the players to decide but they are of opposite mindsets.

Now an interesting factor in all this is that a minion of The Empress, The Light, the council and the military have been all thrown together (in the caves), so there’s the risk of finding out what the other is plotting, and question of how to handle this information.

The effects of written word of the Scrolls are as such;

(i) The curse of eternal life
(ii) Loss of sensation [touch ie, textures etc]
(iii) Cannot break the curse without the will of all those under it.
(iv) Powers are heightened, however their stamina is weakened
(v) If an event happens to one (pain etc) it happens to all.

Last edited:
Some world landmarks- again open to changes/development:

Paharii
: Land of the dwarves

Within the folds of the mountains, resided the dwarves. They were creatures whose hands were moulded to manipulate metal, rock and wood. With a single glance they could calculate how to skilfully master the material lain before them, and with their tools they could sculpt and weave the most delicate of objects. Their strength ran in their veins, for they were blessed with the art of earth.

Pavanita: Land of the elves

Between the shadows cast by the towering trees of the dense woodland one would find the elves. These were tall, lean creatures, who were masters of the air around them. They could use the song in their voices to command the breeze, the storms and the clouds. Their physical advantage lay in speed and grace. They were branded as the minions of fate, for they were known to have a heart as malleable as melted iron, though, it must be said, that once a heart had been fixed, it wad hard to recover its original state.

Jalhan: Land of the dragon and its rider

Stranded upon the dunes of desert sand were the dragon riders. The single set of souls that held enough courage within them to mount upon dragons and become one with their wise old hearts. These people had crafted the gift of the eternal flame, and so found that fire was at their every command. Their dragons wielded the same fragment of power, and united they controlled each others’ strength.

Pahni: Land of nymphs

In the country of lakes was where the water nymphs had made their home. It goes without saying that these beings were the puppeteers of water. They were nimble folk with a soft lifestyle and delicate culture. Their intellect was beyond compare and their mind as curious as a newborn. They could calculate, manipulate, synthesise, take apart and breakdown equations, literature, science and the world around them. If it wasn’t a challenge. It was no good.

Churael: Land of the witches and wizards

Perched on the edges of riverbanks, and dotted across the plains were the worlds of witches and wizards, worlds that gathered in small clusters and dabbled in various forms of magic. It was upon their first breath that their path was determined. Be it water, air, fire or earth, individually, they could only master one, but collectively they sprung together a rainbow of the four elements. They were of human appearance, yet wielded a tool that allowed them to call forth their power. It could be in the form of a hammer, or spade or the classic old wand.

Markt: Market Place and docks

Upon the edges of land and sea was where this segregated world met and collided like watercolour in the rain. Colours from all corners of the word splashed and gurgled upon the ports and markets, bringing with them, their own flavour of life.

Greetings! I had a few thoughts to help with the creative process, though I am liking them thus far. I will bundle them in groups of similar nature.

1.) Are you thinking of any races/cultures on the continent that exist beyond these lands such as goblins, ogres, orcs, trolls, and the like that are capable of using magic, or is the magic of this world mostly centered around the words they can be integrated with? What kind of magics do you foresee occurring in this world? Is shamanistic magic among them, where spirits can be called for arcane use, or is it a more refined practice than borrowing from others?

2.) The Markt / marketplace seems pretty sweet. Is this like a town/city built around commerce and sea trade? I can see a lot of great things from such a commercial hub.

3.) Are there places where cultures blend, or do the races have a sense of xenophobia, being distrusting to those not of their own kind?

That is all I have for now. I am very much liking the worldbuilding as possibly mentioned earlier, and look forward to playing with you all. 🙇‍♂️

hey guys! to start, I hope we can come up with a cool story together! just wanted to throw ya'll the ideas I had story-wise after reading what Krutiika had for us--

So, I really liked the idea of the members of the main group being under a curse that makes them stronger in some ways, weaker in others, and most of all forces them to lose a lot of their autonomy as now they have to take of one another or suffer the same fate.

To start off melding some of those ideas to match some stuff I have in mind reading it--

So across our land (without a name so far lol) there's no fable more popular than that told of a group of warriors of old. Said to have appeared when the land needed them most, it is this group of warriors who somehow managed to put aside the predominant attitudes of interspecies biases that exist to this day, and together freed the continent from the clutches of a seemingly indomitable evil (maybe some reoccurring foe who can never really be defeated, just put to sleep, could be plotted?). If the land is ever to fall again to this same evil, this group of immortals will rise again from their slumber supposedly. Or at least that's what the stories say.

Now our hypothetical land has only known peace for quite some time. But slowly the tide begins to turn. Maybe we could throw some politics in there with a second-born prince making a deal with a devil of sorts (our reoccurring evil) in exchange for power to take the throne from his much more popular, heir brother/sister? And in doing so, he awakens this evil, maybe even becomes host to it. And the very second this evil awakens, our "immortals" are 'awakened' to save everyone.

But maybe our new immortals are not the same as the immortals of old. They are every-day citizens (or even former royals) from various pockets around the land who awaken one night with power beyond their imagining and a curse similar to the one of your scrolls that binds them to finishing one great task and staying close together until they do. The problem is, they already each have their own goals and their own guiding quests they want to accomplish.

Hello!

1. Magic
In my head, I thought it would be interesting to have magic as something more academic, so it utilised through knowledge and study, kind of like science and or maths. It would be cool to have a concept of a scholar orc or troll in a species that's mostly into weaponry or fighting.

2. Species
Yeah, I'd be open to other species, what do you think bearie bearie ?

3.Markt
Open to build on this! Yes, I envisioned a sea town/city built around commerce - which then opens it up to lots of underhanded political warfare- which I think will be super fun to build upn

4. Cultures
Great question. I think mirroring our world on this might be interesting and good for character development. For example those who have grown up in and around Markt will be very used to blended cultures, maybe where Orc and Goblins become scholars instead of warriors/leaders etc and that's acceptable/normal in this town, but otherwise these individuals would be ostracised in their own communities.
Some communities may be more open than others, not necessarily races/species as a whole, but communities within races- what do you think?

hey guys! to start, I hope we can come up with a cool story together! just wanted to throw ya'll the ideas I had story-wise after reading what Krutiika had for us--

So, I really liked the idea of the members of the main group being under a curse that makes them stronger in some ways, weaker in others, and most of all forces them to lose a lot of their autonomy as now they have to take of one another or suffer the same fate.

To start off melding some of those ideas to match some stuff I have in mind reading it--

So across our land (without a name so far lol) there's no fable more popular than that told of a group of warriors of old. Said to have appeared when the land needed them most, it is this group of warriors who somehow managed to put aside the predominant attitudes of interspecies biases that exist to this day, and together freed the continent from the clutches of a seemingly indomitable evil (maybe some reoccurring foe who can never really be defeated, just put to sleep, could be plotted?). If the land is ever to fall again to this same evil, this group of immortals will rise again from their slumber supposedly. Or at least that's what the stories say.

Now our hypothetical land has only known peace for quite some time. But slowly the tide begins to turn. Maybe we could throw some politics in there with a second-born prince making a deal with a devil of sorts (our reoccurring evil) in exchange for power to take the throne from his much more popular, heir brother/sister? And in doing so, he awakens this evil, maybe even becomes host to it. And the very second this evil awakens, our "immortals" are 'awakened' to save everyone.

But maybe our new immortals are not the same as the immortals of old. They are every-day citizens (or even former royals) from various pockets around the land who awaken one night with power beyond their imagining and a curse similar to the one of your scrolls that binds them to finishing one great task and staying close together until they do. The problem is, they already each have their own goals and their own guiding quests they want to accomplish.
Sorry, ran out of time before I could reply to this!

Feel free to disagree by the way bearie bearie Thanny Thanny - just putting my thoughts out there.

I really like your idea of having a group of different species with pre-determined biases having to need to work together. I think this sounds like fun!
My personal preference, is to try and move away from the usual evil that takes over the land and the heroes are awakened and have to work together to save it.
I think what I liked from the original idea was that the power of the magic in the scrolls was randomly "activated" at a certain moment in time ie. when our roleplay would begin. And this being the first time it is has happened, they need to figure out
1. Why has the magic been activated and what on earth it is
2. What on earth to do with it
3. Discovery of their ancient power which is different to modern day magic use, and how their heritage has been interlinked with what is happening to the individual now
4. The interconnectivity of their fate- which would be even more fun if they start off with prejudices!

In terms of what the team is trying to overcome, not entirely sold on the demon/prince angle- any other ideas?

Maybe; the "evil" could be loss of knowledge. So as the era of ignorance reigns, where the rulers have manipulated society and divided the peoples, libraries, schools, universities are finding that the books of old are losing their words and pages are turning crimson red.
It could be a negative power that has developed due to the state of the world and is seeping through the world slowly, or it could be an outside ruler is trying to infiltrate by eliminating knowledge to weaken civilisations, and using magic from the ancient scrolls?

Thoughts on that?

Sorry, ran out of time before I could reply to this!

Feel free to disagree by the way bearie bearie Thanny Thanny - just putting my thoughts out there.

All is good on my end. Here are some extensions for your first post, as nobody has responded to it directly yet, including myself to my shame.

For (1 Magic) I can see all of this working and am not very particular. Magic being a more scholarly attribute that is more learned than innate makes sense. It would make magic favour the clever. Brute forcing things with magic would be exhausting unless you have wells of mana/magic.

For (3 Markt) the darker side of mercantilism sounds like quite the appealing topic for this place. With money, thugs can be bought to destroy rivals. Champions who preach a different story than one profiting you, well . . . they can be rivals too, and rivals of any kind can be dealt with if you have the right solution.

For (4 Species) I agree in that open and closed communities can make a difference. Hill dwarves can be very different from deep-dwelling dwarves and do not have a fear of outsiders (or a fear of falling into the sky, if you understand my reference). City dwellers in Markt might have better understanding of other races than someone who has never seen anyone beyond their own race. That can be fun to utilise.

I really like your idea of having a group of different species with pre-determined biases having to need to work together. I think this sounds like fun!
My personal preference, is to try and move away from the usual evil that takes over the land and the heroes are awakened and have to work together to save it.
I think what I liked from the original idea was that the power of the magic in the scrolls was randomly "activated" at a certain moment in time ie. when our roleplay would begin. And this being the first time it is has happened, they need to figure out
1. Why has the magic been activated and what on earth it is
2. What on earth to do with it
3. Discovery of their ancient power which is different to modern day magic use, and how their heritage has been interlinked with what is happening to the individual now
4. The interconnectivity of their fate- which would be even more fun if they start off with prejudices!

In terms of what the team is trying to overcome, not entirely sold on the demon/prince angle- any other ideas?

Maybe; the "evil" could be loss of knowledge. So as the era of ignorance reigns, where the rulers have manipulated society and divided the peoples, libraries, schools, universities are finding that the books of old are losing their words and pages are turning crimson red.
It could be a negative power that has developed due to the state of the world and is seeping through the world slowly, or it could be an outside ruler is trying to infiltrate by eliminating knowledge to weaken civilisations, and using magic from the ancient scrolls?

Thoughts on that?

The game Trine comes to mind which regards an artefact coming to life in a time of need. In this case, it could be some eldritch magic where the world is threatened by something small or large and a great power links the folks for whatever reason. Lost arts due to dark ages? Awesome. Prejudices being discarded by interconnections? Awesome. The salvation from total destruction by genocidal warfare before it ever has a chance to sprout for real? Unique and potentially awesome.

Rifts of any kind, even the leaking of dimensions, spirit worlds, or divides even in the party sound very interesting. The Void or the Nothing consuming all? I'm a sucker for that kind of storytelling too, honestly. The Neverending Story was a favourite of mine. The elimination of knowledge by instilling fear or destroying their sources to keep peoples in check is also a very fun concept. I love the last one especially, as we six soul-bound people can be a last bastion of the old arts.

All is good on my end. Here are some extensions for your first post, as nobody has responded to it directly yet, including myself to my shame.

For (1 Magic) I can see all of this working and am not very particular. Magic being a more scholarly attribute that is more learned than innate makes sense. It would make magic favour the clever. Brute forcing things with magic would be exhausting unless you have wells of mana/magic.

For (3 Markt) the darker side of mercantilism sounds like quite the appealing topic for this place. With money, thugs can be bought to destroy rivals. Champions who preach a different story than one profiting you, well . . . they can be rivals too, and rivals of any kind can be dealt with if you have the right solution.

For (4 Species) I agree in that open and closed communities can make a difference. Hill dwarves can be very different from deep-dwelling dwarves and do not have a fear of outsiders (or a fear of falling into the sky, if you understand my reference). City dwellers in Markt might have better understanding of other races than someone who has never seen anyone beyond their own race. That can be fun to utilise.

The game Trine comes to mind which regards an artefact coming to life in a time of need. In this case, it could be some eldritch magic where the world is threatened by something small or large and a great power links the folks for whatever reason. Lost arts due to dark ages? Awesome. Prejudices being discarded by interconnections? Awesome. The salvation from total destruction by genocidal warfare before it ever has a chance to sprout for real? Unique and potentially awesome.

Rifts of any kind, even the leaking of dimensions, spirit worlds, or divides even in the party sound very interesting. The Void or the Nothing consuming all? I'm a sucker for that kind of storytelling too, honestly. The Neverending Story was a favourite of mine. The elimination of knowledge by instilling fear or destroying their sources to keep peoples in check is also a very fun concept. I love the last one especially, as we six soul-bound people can be a last bastion of the old arts

All three extensions make total sense to me!

I really like the idea of people having varying degree of affinity to mana/magic. It could be that someone may have a deep well of mana/magic, but then never studied so can't do beyond a limit of spells (which comes easy to them)- ie stops at levitation, but if they studied they'd be able to apply that physics/magic knowledge into making themselves invisible or something along those lines?
Favouring academics would make it almost like wise wizards/alchemy type, which I would enjoy.

I agree, a rift within the party would be fun to play, particularly as they will need to overcome it to survive. I also relish in the idea of the six soul bound people being the last bastion of the old arts!

Do we want to go along the lines of an impending genocidal warfare, from an outside Kingdom using their understanding and study of magic- which is a "darker and different" interpretation of the original magic transcripts to that of our country, to eliminate our written knowledge to weaken our forces and infiltrate and overtake our land.

That's where your idea of the second born Prince or even a first born Princess who has been overlooked in their own Kingdom could come into play bearie bearie . It's almost a spiteful step in showing their own monarchy, look how brilliant I am, how I can use my intellect to overtake another country and rule it far better than the one where I was overlooked.
And to build on where they get their power, instead of a demon or something, maybe in this country, physical strength is preferred and celebrated, but the second born prince/princess was not so naturally physically gifted and so spent hours with their tutors learning and reading. One tutor in particular had great understanding of the elder scrolls and its varied interpretations and taught the second born prince the forgotten messages that hid between the lines of the transcript, heightening his power/understanding of magic and how to use it to help him gain power?

All three extensions make total sense to me!

I really like the idea of people having varying degree of affinity to mana/magic. It could be that someone may have a deep well of mana/magic, but then never studied so can't do beyond a limit of spells (which comes easy to them)- ie stops at levitation, but if they studied they'd be able to apply that physics/magic knowledge into making themselves invisible or something along those lines?
Favouring academics would make it almost like wise wizards/alchemy type, which I would enjoy.

This would make specialisation a great opportunity. If practice makes perfect, a master's levitation spell can be more refined than twenty novices. Physics and magic blending into telekinesis would be fun. Telekinesis is probably sought out for its usefulness, especially when it comes to everyday life. "Need a piano brought to the second floor? NO PROBLEM! That'll be five coins for the work, and twenty coins for the travel time. Also, I think your stone wall needs repointing. I know a mage in the family that can do that alone and in a fifth of the time."

Do we want to go along the lines of an impending genocidal warfare, from an outside Kingdom using their understanding and study of magic- which is a "darker and different" interpretation of the original magic transcripts to that of our country, to eliminate our written knowledge to weaken our forces and infiltrate and overtake our land.

Ooh . . . acts of terrorism and breeding distrust in magic by showcasing the darker sides of magic not witnessed by current teachings -- this sounds intriguing. I love this, but would love to have the others -- and yourself as well, Krutiika -- weigh in on what would be liked.

Seeing all of these ideas here, I am very excited to see this roleplay start. =)

Yes, these ideas are feeding into my thirst into starting this RP as well! They're great!
But, I also do agree, would be great to get thoughts from bearie bearie and Elucid Elucid on what we have mentioned before we throw more ideas into the pit!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back