• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Arabella Cauwell

Harry Potter and Asian Drama Ambassador
Title: Maybe In Our Last Life
Fandom:
The Untamed, Mo Dao Zu Shi, Chinese Drama, Wuxia, Asian Drama
Main Pairing: MXM – Lan Zhan x Wei Wuxian
Place: A Modern College / University
Summary: Lan Zhan, Wei Wuxian, and company end up going to the same college. While working on class projects some students feel oddly close to others before even getting to know them. Slowly those students begin to see glimpses of a former life. It is up to them to prove this to their former lovers, foes, and friends, or to decide whether they want to repeat history after all.

~
Most freshmen in college tended not to draw attention to themselves. Perhaps it was nerves or ingrained survival habits, but whatever it was, one Wei Wuxian did not have it. Not an ounce of it, not a shred of it, not even a glimpse of it. Instead of keeping his head low and trying to fit in with everyone else, which Jiang Cheng was desperately trying to do, Wei Wuxian was spinning around, arms pointing in a different direction per minute, exclaiming to their sister, who was a sophomore rather than a freshman and thus would certainly know what everything looked like on her own campus, about everything he saw.

“Could you, for at least the walk it takes from the parking lot to whatever class you’ve signed up for that I’m preferably not in, act like a normal human being?”

Wei Wuxian paused, having been pointing at a fountain, before pouting and pulling at their big sister’s sleeve whining,

“Jiějiě, Cheng Cheng is bullying me!” he half teased, as he sought his older sisters attention.

Jiang Cheng scowled in displeasure, trying to find a path clear of their sister to land a good swat at the other boy,

“DO NOT EVER CALL ME THAT IN PUBLIC!” Jiang Cheng snapped loudly, before realizing where he was and hissing, in a much lower tone, “if we happen to have any classes together and you embarrass me, so help me Wei Wuxian, I will adopt a dog on the way home and keep it in your room.”

Wei Wuxian’s eyes widened, hiding even more emphatically behind Yanli,

“You wouldn’t! And Yan Yan wouldn’t let you.”

Jiang Cheng snorted, rolling his eyes as he stepped back, satisfied with the threat made to his brother,

“We’ll just see about that won’t we? Anyway your fear is irrational, you act like you were thrown in a cave and mauled by them for days. Thanks to you I can’t even have one and they are just so-” Jiang Cheng paused in horror, realizing that he was about to actually say the word cute and it would not be good for his reputation.

Clamping his mouth shut brought Wei Wuxian’s attention back to him and caused the other boy to smirk, sensing a weakness,

“So what Cheng Cheng?” the other boy said wiggling his eyebrows.

“Wuxian.” Jiang Cheng threatened, his eyes widening and nostrils flaring in warning.

Wei Wuxian chuckled,

“You can’t fool me, I know exactly what you were going to say.”

“Wei Wuxian.” He said even more firmer.

“Jiang Cheng is so sweet, right Jiějiě? He just loooooves cute things! Does that mean you love me Cheng Cheng?” Wei Wuxian said, batting his lashes, before making a run for it when his brother got so pissed off that he side stepped their sister and tried to grab for him.

Wei Wuxian had always been light on his feet, but he didn’t always pay attention to his surroundings when he was running and Jiang Cheng was not exactly slow himself. Practically cackling, Wei Wuxian kept chanting the word cute as Jiang Cheng was wishing that he had some kind of…rope or something to make up the slight distance to give him a wack. Growling in frustration he was just nearly about to tackle the other boy when he suddenly saw that Wei Wuxian was about to collide into a couple of other students.

“Wei Ying!” he shouted in warning, lunging forward and grabbing his brother’s arm to try to yank the other boy back and away from the innocent bystanders. Instead he ended up pulled with Wei Wuxian straight into the other two, he braced himself for impact snapping sardonically as he was about to fall, “I really hate you sometimes.”

Wei Wuxian closed his eyes tight also waiting for the impact, but for his part as he prepared to go down he added,

“But mostly you love me.”

Lan Wangji’s morning had been a lot less chaotic before he’d arrived on campus. So much so, he hadn’t seen anything like this coming.

When he had applied for the same university as his brother, his uncle had agreed fairly easily, adding only that he and his brother must share an apartment to avoid the corruption of their usual routines. Wangji, a creature of habit, didn’t mind those terms.

He and Xichen had spent the entire weekend before school started moving Wangji into the simple white and baby blue bedroom in the large modern apartment courtesy of their uncles funding, and now everything was settled where it was meant to be, right down to the placement of Wangji’s ancient Guqin.

Living outside of Gusu felt almost entirely the same so far. Morning routines remained with the work split between the jade twins, one set tea to boil and then they meditated, clearing their minds before beginning their day and their tofu scramble breakfast.

On the first day of classes, Wangji noticed that things truly would be different.

Xichen was there watching his brother as he left his bedroom, eyes trailing over his outfit, “All white to your first day of class?” He noted, the smallest of smiles pulling at the corner of his lips as he stood in a denim jacket with a royal blue turtleneck, a pair of thick rimmed glasses and a silver chain hugging his neck.

“mm,” Wangji nodded his head slightly as his brother approached patting his shoulder with the warmest of smiles.

“Okay, Wangji... then lets go. I’ll show you around campus before classes start..” he stepped out of the apartment in front of his youngest brother, keeping the rigid posture of Gusu lan Clan, one hand behind his back. At least that much felt normal.

After making it to campus they walked together with Xichen pointing out important information and buildings Wangji was sure to need to know. “.. It’s certainly different from home, but I think you will like it here,” Xichen offered softly, “perhaps you’ll even make some friends.”

Wangji slowly turned to his brother, giving him a look of protest which only made the eldest brother chuckle.

“A-zhan,” Xichen said easily, “you work really hard, but you deserve to be happy too. Here you can—“

“Brother,” wangji interrupted as he caught sight of the two boys about to run into them. It was just a moment too late to sidestep and send them into their own peril so instead, Wangji stepped in front of his brother like a sheild and let the two quibbling strangers fall into the strong expanse of muscle that was his chest instead.

“Wangji, are you alright?!” Xichen was down beside them in half a moment, looking between the two men now sprawled onto his younger brothers chest. “Is anyone hurt?”

Wangji let out a soft huff of annoyance as he recited the Gusu Lan rules in his head. No running. No shouting. No pushing- so many rules broken and it was only the morning. School really wasn’t going to be anything like home.

As soon as Wei Wuxian had closed his eyes his body had slammed into something quite hard. He put his hands out against the warm firmness and began to move them amused by the feeling. When he opened his eyes he looked up to find a stern, cold looking face. For whatever the reason he wanted to make the other boy react to him in some way. Such a cold face needed a bit of warming. He was amused by the difference of the warm body, with the cold look so he continued feeling around the other’s chest, before casually saying (as if he wasn’t groping some stranger’s chest while half sprawled across their lap),

“Wow you’re really fit!”

Jiang Chang, who had found himself on top of another man, had immediately rolled off as if he had been burnt, quickly rising, his face reddening from embarrassment as he began to brush dust from the ground off of his outfit. He heard the slightly older students question about if anyone was hurt and defensively snapped,

“If they’re not then someone is about to be,” he started, then looked up at the other boy, beginning to apologize, “I am deeply sorry about that, my brother can be rather problematic at times. Wei Wuxin apologize to-” he began before glancing at his brother and noticing the boy’s strange actions.

Eyes widening in horror, he yanked his brother up, somewhat violently by the wrist, yelling, “What in the hell are you doing?! First you defame my character, then you smack into someone, then you grope a man you never met. Are you trying to be jailed?”

“Not particularly, but just feel his abs then you’ll understand,” Wei Wuxian commented lightly, as if talking about the weather, wanting to get a rise out of the boy in all white and feeling annoying Jiang Cheng further would be a bonus, but soon he looked at the boy he’d run into, holding his hand out to help him up, “sorry I bumped into you, I was running from my brother because I told him he liked cute things.”

Jiang Cheng shook his head,

“I really hope this is just a nightmare,” he said before pinching himself, and then frowned, “nope, of course not, this is my actual life. Wei Wuxian so help me I will-”

“Brother,” Yanli interrupted having caught up, and Wei Wuxian used the opportunity to run behind her in an attempt to escape his brother’s anger, “I’m sure Wuxian didn’t mean anything by it.”

Jiang Cheng rolled his eyes, but didn’t want to go against his older sister so he turned back to the two strangers and made a polite bow, his sister joining in,

“Once again I apologize, my brother honestly has no shame.”

“I would also like to apologize if either one of you was scared or hurt, my brothers can be a bit unruly, and they are over excited because today is their first day of school. I apologize for any inconvenience and of course we will take full responsibility if anyone is hurt.”

Jiang Cheng felt somewhat admonished by this so he kept his head in a slightly bowed position as Wei Wuxian kept his eyes on the boy on the ground in amusement.

Yanli looked up at the older brother and said,

“I’m Yanli Jiang, I believe we may have had a course or two together if I’m not mistaken. My brothers are Jiang Cheng and Wei Wuxian, if there is anything any of us can do to make this up to the both of you please do not hesitate to ask.”

Wei Wuxian snickered at how that sounded and Jiang Cheng elbowed him as soon as he had a clear shot,

“Can you please behave for all of five minutes?”

“I could, but where’s the fun in that?” Wuxian replied waving teasingly at the boy all in white.

At first Lan Xichen had been shocked by the shameless feeling up of his brothers chest, but upon watching the innocent pat down continue he couldn’t help but let a smile crawl onto his lips.

Lan Wangji was less amused.

As soon as the smaller form crashed into his body all breathe left his lungs. The unusual thing was it wasn’t from the impact. Rather, the odd sense of deja vu that hit him harder than a moving train. Why did it feel as if he had caught this body before?

The emotion was enough to steal his attention away from the hands on his body until their owner spoke. And then Wangji seemed to catch up to what was going on.

“Wha—who— shameless,” he practically snapped, flustered as the strangers hands continued to roam his body, cursing the tips of his ears that would surely have reddened as he grew flustered. (Or at least, he could assume so from the look on Xichen’s face.)

His face remained stoic as he listened to the stranger complimenting him and teasing the man with him- his brother... and still noting the smugness of Xichen’s face in the back of his mind, he dismissed the hand offered and stood up on his own brushing off his pants.

“Wangji, are you injured?” Xichen checked now that the two siblings opposite of them seemed to be bickering once more.

Wangji shook his head slightly, turning back when he heard the sweetness of a woman’s voice. She was beautiful, skin of porcelain and hair done up so gorgeous he was sure if circumstances had been different he or his brother might have paid more mind.

But somehow all he could think about was the trouble maker, long black unruly hair, and the feeling that he must know him from somewhere.

“Jiang Yanli, it is a pleasure to see you again,” Xichen bowed at the introduction, “while we appreciate your apology, it is nothing to worry over... I am Lan Xichen, and this is my brother Wangji.” He turned to bow to both the brothers in turn, smiling warmly.

Wangji copied the polite motions of his brother, though he didn’t wear the same welcoming smile. Instead, his eyes were ice cold daggers as they aimed at the man— Wei Wuxian. His stoic expression was practically a scowl by the time Wuxian wiggled his fingers at him.

“Please excuse my brother as well,” Xichen said kindly, causing his brother to jerk his head in his direction. Xichen only continued, “he can be a bit quiet,” he finished, tipping his head to the brothers again.

Wangji, made of the manners his uncle had indoctrined upon him, bowed his head once more as well.

Jiang Yanli’s lips curled into a warm smile, “Nonsense,” she said simply, “he has been nothing but a perfect gentleman. The jade twins of Gusu live up to their reputation,” she smiled warmly before she turned to her siblings. “Now, A-xian, A-cheng.. let’s get you to class. You wouldn’t want to be late on your first day,” she reached out to pat some of wuxian’s messy hair back into place.

Xichen offered a smile, “Where are you headed first? I was just on my way to show Wangji to the History department... perhaps if you’re headed in the same direction we could walk there together?”

Wangji found himself scowling. Their walk had been peaceful and so informative.. the last thing it needed was the addition of someone as rambunctious—- as distracting as Wei Wuxian.

He watched as Jiang Yanli lit up, her lips curling and revealing a smile as beautiful as a lotus bloom, “That would be wonderful, thank you.”

And there went his quiet morning. Lan Wangji officially despised everything.

Wei Wuxian was delighted when words came out of the cold faced boys mouth, he looked over at Jiang Cheng in triumph, wiggling his brows twice before looking back at the other boy, deciding to further tease him, especially because he enjoyed seeing the red rush to this Wangi’s ears,

“Aha so you do talk!” he teased, bopping the other boy on the nose with a snicker, “as for shameless I really am, Jiang Cheng says it all the time,” he said with a dazzling smile, “if you’re going to be ashamed by something you shouldn’t do it. So instead of being ashamed I own it.”

Wei Wuxian made a little pouty face when the other boy didn’t take his hand, but brushed it off fairly quickly. He was used to Jiang Cheng’s temper, so comparatively this was nothing. He listened as the older brother asked if he was injured and decided to add his two cents in, especially considering he didn’t think the stoic boy was likely to reply,

“From what I felt he seems fine. I didn’t see any bruising or anything,” he began, before smirking wickedly, “and I must say I did quite a thorough search.”

Wei Wuxian watched as Yanli and Xichen exchanged greetings, before whispering to Jiang Cheng,

“Should we be worried that he’s hitting on Jie Jie?” he whispered, before winking at the younger one who seemed very intent on glaring at him.

Jiang Cheng glared at the other boy, before half pulling him into a return bow, hissing to Wei Wuxian,

“He is not flirting with Jie Jie, he’s just being polite, so don’t start anything else unnecessary, we are clearly the ones in the wrong this time.”

Wei Wuxian pouted as their heads came back up in the usual position, sidling over to hide behind Yanli again and resting his chin on her shoulder as he continued to smile at the angry younger brother. This time Jiang Cheng let it go.

Both brothers listened as Xichen apologized for his brother, mentioning that he can be quiet. Wei Wuxian thought that was rather an understatement,

“That’s funny, his eyes are speaking volumes to me,” he teased, “anyway quiet people are fun, so much more of a challenge then the chatty types.”

Wei Wuxian backed up as his sister turned around. If there was one person he did not rebel against it was Yanli. He nodded as Jiang Cheng jumped at the chance,

“No we wouldn’t. Once again sorry about that.” Jiang Cheng said as Yanli patted Wuxian’s hair.

Wei Wuxian bounced on his heels in excitement when he heard they’d be going in the same direction and when Yanli agreed. Jiang Cheng, on the other hand, shared feelings closer to Lan Zhan’s. All he wanted was to escape the awkwardness of all of this and go to his first class, but he didn’t want to cause any more of a problem with the Lans and he certainly wasn’t going to go against the words of his own sister, so he felt compelled to follow, trailing behind the rest as they headed to the History department.

Jiang Cheng was looking forward to the first class, preferably without Wei Wuxian or Lan Wangji. Being alone looked pretty good about now.

But for Wei Wuxian it was the exact opposite. He wanted class to be with both Jiang Cheng and this fun to tease Lan Wangji. College was beginning to seem like an awfully fun adventure.

As the newly formed group of students paired together to walk towards the history department, Lan Xichen grabbed his brothers elbow.

“Wangji,” he said quietly, “your ears are quite red, is something wrong?” He asked quietly.
Though the younger of the two said nothing in response, he looked up to find Xichen nodding knowingly, “I see,” a-chen patted his shoulder, “I think he would be a good friend for you.”

Wangji’s face stiffened and he looked to his brother as if he was insane, but a second later, Xichen was speeding up to catch up to Jiang Yanli, launching into a conversations about which classes they’d be taking this year.

Wangji sighed letting his eyes trail along this odd little mix of people. The gusu disciples and the Jiang family.. they didn’t truly seem to mesh by any means. And yet.. they were speaking so peacefully...

His eyes landed on the animated face of Wei Wuxian, the man who, in the five minutes of knowing Lan Wangji, had already made him frustrated and angry and... curious...

There was a reason his ears were red... and that reason was... well... he snapped out of his revirie, quickly resorting to a glare instead as he mumbled “boring,” under his breathe, though he didn’t dare force his eyes away from Wei Ying. He needed to make sure he wasn’t up to anymore trouble, after all.... and like every great trial Wangji had seen in his life, he couldn’t manage to look away.

Despite what he had said to Wei Wuxian, Jiang Cheng was not exactly comfortable with the older Lan talking specifically to his sister. Both of the Jiang brothers were overprotective by nature, and so while he did believe that Lan Xichen was a gentleman, and did believe what he had said to his brother, he still found himself watching the two closely, particularly when the boy sped up to chat with her on their way to the History area of the school.

He knew he should probably be keeping a closer eye on his brother, due to Wei Wuxians usual proclivity for getting into trouble, but he wasn’t particularly in the mood to play his brother’s babysitter. Instead he’d go for his sister’s protector.

In order to do this Jiang Cheng had to look casual, while staying very close to the elder two, so he dug into his bag, fished out his schedule, and pulled gently on his sister’s sleeve,

“Jie Jie our first class is the History of Cultivation. Have you taken it before?” he questioned, then read the name of the teacher to himself and his eyebrow rose, “it says its taught by…Lan Qiren?”

He blinked, before looking from Lan Wangji to Lan Xichen,

“A relative of yours I take it?”

Wei Wuxian beamed from his spot, eyes mostly on Lan Zhan with a teasing smirk, but taking a break to clap his hands together and comment,

“That’s great Cheng Cheng, we’ll be in the same class first thing,” he glanced at Lan Zhan, assuming he must have some sort of history class in the morning as well, otherwise his brother would not likely be bringing him this way, “what about you Mr. Mute?”

He made sure Wangi knew just who he was talking to at that time as Jiang Cheng rested his face against his sister’s shoulder,

“How on earth did we end up in the same class? I thought college would be the end of that!”

“Oh that’s easy to answer Cheng Cheng, I saw your schedule and made mine to match, give or take a few that you had crossed out in anger. I guessed this one and I picked one or two separate ones from you. Who the hell takes fencing as one of their gym classes?”

Jiang Cheng turned his face from his sisters shoulder glaring at Wei Wuxian, who sent him a heart signal in return,

“Level with me Wuxian, you are trying to give me a heart attack so that you can take over my room aren’t you?”

Wei Wuxian snickered,

“Never. Having no one to tease in the house would be no fun…unless,” here he smirked and turned back to tease Wangji, “you’d care to move in?”

Jiang Cheng shook his head,

“Normally I’d tell you to stop, but honestly if you go too far and end up in prison it will just be quieter and less stressful, so have at it Wuxian.”

“That’s Cheng Cheng’s way of saying he doesn’t want me to go to jail. My brother is super adorable, but he’s also really shy so he hides his feelings behind anger and physical violence. How many times he hits you is actually how much he loves you.” Wei Wuxian explained, sidling up to Wangji and ignoring the normal space one should give others, particularly strangers.

But oddly this Wangji didn’t seem like a stranger.

“Let’s see you dare to come over here right now Wei Wuxian, I’d love to give you just…so much love.” Jiang Cheng said rolling up his sleeves and preparing to go after Wei Wuxian again.

“No thanks Cheng,” he said before he heard a word mumbled by the Lan boy.

He clapped his hands and baby talked to the other boy as if he was a toddler learning words,

“Did you say boring? How cute are you?! It’s unfortunate that your bored. My mother says that people who get bored are boring themselves so I’m sorry to hear that. I bet I could make you less bored if you want,” He teased, wiggling his eyebrows as they entered the history building, “wanna guess how?”

Lan Xichen, ever the gentleman, grew quiet as soon as Jiang Cheng began to speak, bowing his head to give him some semblance of privacy with his sister.

“I have taken it,” Yanli smiled warmly, “It’s very interesting... the cultivation world holds nothing of the values of the modern world, I think you’ll like it,” Yanli rested a hand against her brothers arm, smiling oh so kindly.

Xichen, though, had a knowing look on his face. He had just opened his mouth to answer Jiang Cheng, when the answer came from behind them instead.

“Uncle,” Lan Wangji filled in, hands neatly folded in front of him.

Yanli turned to look over her shoulder before nodding at him “Ahh, that makes sense.”

Xichen nodded, “he Is very knowledgeable on the subject matter and though, he can tend to be strict at times, you will learn a lot,” he supplied to Jiang Cheng with a helpful smile, noting his brother pulling back into his quiet reserve out of the corner of his eye.

Of course the silence didn’t stretch out uncomfortably with Wei Wuxian around, especially not when he seemed to love to irritate his brother so. Though Wangji’s willingness to provide responses have Xichen hope that perhaps he would find a friend in Wei Ying.

“... not mute,” wangji pitched in between the fighting, though he didn’t get a chance to say much more before Jiang cheng was fighting back again.

The younger Lan brother watched the bickering with curious eyes, like it might lead somewhere he hadn’t quiet expected. And it did. Seconds later Wei Wuxian had practically plastered himself to his side. And while instinct told him to push people away when they got too close, something about this man made him want to keep him near.

Wangji felt his ears heating, the bickering between brothers lost between the odd pounding rush between his ears. This Wei Wuxian was a character like none Wangji had ever met and yet.. somehow “boring,” he grumbled turning his face from the boy’s fight.

He wasn’t expecting the full weight of Wei Wuxian’s attention and it caught him off guard, his eyes sliding into a glare as he turned closer. Wei Wuxian was ALREADY too close to him and yet.. and when being talked to like a baby all he wanted to do was open his mouth and shut him down...

Until the implication was made of what Wei Wuxian might do to occupy his interests, and then Lan Wangji was ripping his arm away so fast it was like Wei wuxian had never been close to him in the first place, “shameless,” he spat. His ears stung a deep red and he pushed away from the man instead finding the space behind his brother.

Xichen seemed to be fighting back a little smile at the look of his brothers ears and cheeks alight with color, but he schooled it the second Wangji sent him a glare that could burn a city down. How telling. Perhaps his brother had found a fast friend after all.

Many great things started with anger.

Jiang Cheng was happy to hear that the first class was of interest to Yanli. He for one was oddly fascinated by Cultivation history as it was. Something about it was just so calming and oddly familiar. Maybe because he and Wuxian had played cultivator when they were younger. Whatever the reason he felt satisfied with the answer he was given and smiled at his sister in thanks.

Wei Wuxian was surprised when the younger brother answered and decided to continue his teasing,

“Well if your Uncle is as hot as you then I for one will thoroughly enjoy his class.”

Jiang Cheng frowned at his brother,

“You literally have no shame do you?”

He listened to Xichen explain about his Uncle and nodded with something of a content look,

“I prefer a strict teacher to be honest, especially if Wei Wuxian is in the same class. I’m afraid he will definitely make trouble for your uncle.” He said half apologetic already as he looked at the brothers.

“Into discipline Jiang Cheng?” Wei Wuxian teased, wiggling his eyebrows.

“Wei Wuxian get your mind out of the gutter, at least during school hours.” Jiang Cheng insisted.

Wei Wuxian was about to retort when he noticed the quiet boy spoke again. Of course he wanted to reward any verbal interaction the boy made with immediate attention,

“Oh no? Then what would you call someone who prefers non-verbal communication?” Wei Wuxian said, battling his lashes.

There was something about the boy that excited him somehow. The other boy felt like a magnet that he couldn’t help to be drawn in by. He didn’t really understand what it meant, but he had never been one to question his feelings too much. He did whatever came to his mind pretty much. Now it was telling him to keep as much physical contact with the other boy as he could manage. He didn’t know why, but it felt good and he was going to push it as much as he could.

But soon he felt himself being pushed away and the boy hid behind his elder brother. Wei Wuxian didn’t let that deter him, following the boy instead. There was no rule that said he couldn’t join the boy in hiding, even if he was the reason, and even if there was Wei Wuxian was the king of breaking rules.

He looked up, eyes finding the boy’s red ears, momentarily distracting him from his argument with Jiang Cheng,

“Are you hot by any chance? You should wear less clothes to school if you are prone to overheating. It’s all well and good to dress properly for school, until you end up passed out by your first class,” he commented, tilting his head to the side for a second before fishing out a water bottle from Jiang Cheng’s bag and pressing it to the back of Lan Wangji’s neck, where his heat sensor was, “better?”

“Wei Wuxian, bring your own water bottle to school. I literally handed you one on the way, so why on earth are you using mine?” he said, nose wrinkled.

“I left it in my bag…which is actually in your bag.” Wei Wuxian admitted, this time placing himself behind both Lan brothers.

Jiang Cheng’s face turned thunderous as he rummaged in his bag, finding Wei Wuxian’s and attempting to circle around to get at his brother, who was using two human beings as a shield currently,

“I knew it felt heavier than it should have! Wei Wuxian why are you incapable of being responsible for yourself at such an age? A grown man should carry his own things.”

Wei Wuxian pouted petulantly,

“But your arms are stronger than mine Cheng Cheng and I’m too pretty to have to carry my own things. Right?” he insisted asking the Lan brother’s.

“You are ridiculous Wei Wuxian! You are not THAT helpless and anyway I don’t want to be late for class so we are going to have to wrap this up soon. Jie Jie do you want us to walk you to class first?” Jiang Cheng asked their sister, looking slightly suspiciously at the older male.

He seemed like a good sort, but a lot of angelic looking faces hid darker agendas. Hell Wei Wuxian could look as innocent as a two year old and yet he was definitely a troublemaker.

Wei Wuxian leaned his chin on the shoulder of the boy in front of him. Oddly he wanted to wrap his arms around the others waist, but even he wasn’t shameless enough to boyfriend hold someone he knew for all of ten minutes. To distract himself he looked over at his Jie Jie and waited for her answer, as he did his temple rested on the comforting shoulder and he felt peaceful in a way that had he had to give reason for he’d not be able to.

The cold water bottle’s felt ice cold against Wangji’s quickly overheating skin and he jumped as it made contact, his mind a whirlwind of words he could fling back at his new friend in response... but instead, Jiang Cheng beat him too it.

Wangji lifted his hand to hold the water bottle in place, watching as the two brothers from Yunmeng ran circles around them. He couldn’t help but notice his brother seemed delighted by their antics... and that made him relax into it as well. There was something fond about the brothers, as disrupting as their behavior was.

Lan Xichen burst into laughter besides himself as Wei Wuxian asked if he was pretty, resting his hand against brother’s shoulder, “I believe that question was for you, Wangji.”

“Brother,” Lan zhan said quietly, knowing his brother was enjoying all of this far too much, despite how uncomfortable it made him personally. He turned away from him, focusing in just in time for Yanli to interfere and break up the two squabbling freshman.

“XianXian is the prettiest in all the lands..” she laughed and caught Jiang cheng’s wrist, “and Your JieJie sleeps easy knowing A-Cheng is always there to take care of him,” she patted his shoulder, sending wuxian a secretive wink out of his gaze.

“Mmm.. thank you for offering, but I’ll walk with Lan Xichen,” she smiled, stopping to cup her younger brothers cheeks, “It’s been a while since we’ve had a chance to catch up.... I’m meeting up with A-Zixuan second period so I might be a little late to lunch- wait for me there,” she turned to Wei Wuxian next, “and you, xianxian... ,” she said fondly, “Have a good first class... take care of eachother and don’t give Lan Qiren a hard time.”

Lan Wangji turned to Xichen, Bowing slightly as the yunmeng siblings said their goodbyes.

“Remember, Wangji,” Xichen rested a hand on his shoulder “Be open to new experience,” he said fondly, “study hard,”

“Yes, Brother,” Wangji Bowed his head and watched as Xichen turned to walk off.

“It was a pleasure to meet you both,” he bowed his head to the brothers before turning to Yanli with a small smile, “Madame Jiang, are you ready to head to class?” Xichen asked softly.

Yanli seperated from her brothers and nodded to Xichen. “So formal, A-chen.. please, call me Yanli.... boys?” She turned back to her brothers one last time, “I’ll see you both later,” she ran a hand over both her brothers cheeks before turning once again, following the eldest Lan sibling away.

Wangji’s eyes naturally drifting back to the brothers from Yunmeng... focusing on dark hair and red accents on clothing. Wei For some reason, despite his distaste for his antics thus far.. he hoped he would continue walking with him.

After their siblings had dissapeared and it seemed the Yunmeng brothers were ready to leave, Wangji stepped forward into their way and held up the water bottle Wuxian had leant him to offer it back to its owner, bowing his head in silent thanks.

Wei Wuxian was delighted when the older Lan joined in the teasing of his younger brother. Clearly Xichen was the more fun loving one. At least he appreciated Wei Wuxian’s humor. Considering the extra attention and Lan Zhan’s ‘warning’ to his brother Wei Wuxian decided to play it up. Especially once his sister joined in,

“Aren’t I though?” he teased doing a few poses, showcasing some of the cutest and prettiest looks he could manage.

“Jie Jie you really shouldn’t encourage this sort of behavior. What kind of grown man goes around saying such things? He’s way too spoiled for his…hell societies own good.” Jiang Cheng said, a little miffed that Yanli called Wei Wuxian the prettiest in the lands, even though he’d have been mortified to have been called the same. But at least their sister had made it sound like he was some kind of knight, even if the princess he was in charge of did have to be Wei Wuxian.

Jiang Cheng nodded, but he wasn’t exactly happy with the answer. It did after all involve a man he didn’t know and another who didn’t get along very well with Wei Wuxian at the very least. But unlike his spoiled brother, Jiang Cheng trusted his sister to make her own choices over all. He was protective, but he knew his sister was an intelligent and brave woman in her own right. And although he looked curiously at Lan Xichen one more time, he ultimately nodded and agreed,

“Okay Jie Jie, we’ll see you there. Try not to be too late, you know its difficult to keep Wei Wuxian in one place for very long,” Jiang Cheng said, before adding, “enjoy your class as well.”

“Jin Zixuan?” Wei Wuxian whined, scrunching his nose, and latching on to his Jie Jie in order to pull at her sleeve petulantly, “why are you wasting your time with him?”

Jiang Cheng glared a warning at him, but he still stuck his lip out and shook her sleeve again,

“Don’t bother with that peacock and see us right away at lunch instead!” then shook his head cutely and said, “XianXian will miss Jie Jie to much to wait!”

“Wei Wuxian stop making things difficult for Jie Jie and come along. Don’t make her late for class with your silliness. It’s not her job to babysit you all day, give her some time to herself to be with people her own age.” Jiang Cheng admonished, grabbing his brother by the back of his shirt like a disobedient kitten.

Jiang Cheng returned Xichen’s bow, but Wei Wuxian was still being petulant,

“The pleasure was ours I’m sure. I can only apologize for our side of things.” Jiang Cheng commented as Wei Wuxian pouted.

They both watched their sister walk away for a few seconds before Jiang Cheng let Wei Wuxian’s shirt go, but grabbed on to his wrist as Wangji handed the water bottle back. Wuxian could see the gratefulness in the boy’s body language and smiled. He was about to say no thanks was needed when suddenly he felt a tug on his wrist,

“Class.now.” Jiang Cheng insisted as he pulled his brother along.

Wei Wuxian looked back at were Lan Wangji was. He thought he would hate it if he got left alone like that. Something about being alone scared him, as if he’d experienced it for quite some time once long ago. He reached his hand out his hand,

“Lan Zhan!” he said and it was so familiar it was as if he had said it 1,000 times.

Whatever the case it made him smile and he dragged Lan Zhan slightly more gently then he was being dragged by Jiang Cheng, but of course just as fast.

“I hope you have the same class.” Wei Wuxian teased, his fingers wrapped around the other boy’s wrist and smile as bright as usual.

“Let the poor man go Wei Wuxian, I bet he’s had enough of your oddness to last a lifetime.” Jiang Cheng insisted.

Wei Wuxian considered letting the other boy go, but his breath caught in his throat at the thought of it, though he didn’t know why. Instead he said cheekily,

“If you want to let go you’ll have to do it.”

Most of the time this would have been one of his usual teases, but at the moment he felt that he couldn’t. But of course that was crazy. Then again Wei Wuxian had never been the poster child for sanity, for certain.

Soon they got to the door of the classroom that Jiang Cheng insisted was the right room. Jiang Cheng let go of his brother’s wrist as soon as he managed to get the boy into the door, brushing his hands off as he said,

“Feel free to sit far, far away from me.” Jiang Cheng said, settling himself in the middle of the front row.

Wei Wuxian snorted and took the seat behind his brother, still pulling the other boy along. Jiang Cheng threw the boys possessions at him unceremoniously, making sure to trade the water Wuxian had used for the Lan boy with Wuxian’s in his bag first. He began to meticulously set up his desk, feeling more relaxed as he took out his notebook and utensils as well as his history book.

Wei Wuxian for his part glanced at the water he’d used to help cool down the other boy and smiled a bit mischievously before looking at the boy and then breaking the seal, taking a sip of it.

He didn’t bother taking out anything much as his memory and mind was pretty impressive. Even without them he was confident he’d do well in this class. Not that he was particularly fond of the topic to be honest. What was so great about history anyway? Wuxian preferred the present over the past. Of course it was nice to recall fun times and be nostalgic from time to time, but overall Wuxian was a man of Science.

Technology and invention were his biggest interests. And when it was the creative aspects of English he loved those. He was very good at making up stories. That didn’t mean he’d do badly in other subjects, but it did mean he’d not be very invested in ones that didn’t draw his attention. He’d try to give the History of Cultivation a chance, but he certainly wasn’t making any promises.

Lan Wangji had never been called Lan Zhan by a member outside of his family before. The rules of Gusu were far too strict for that. So when it came out of Wei Wuxian’s lips he was sure he would be angry...

Instead, it felt like he had been hit by two tons of bricks, his mouth slack and eyes dazed for the seconds he had before Wei Ying grabbed his wrist. He couldn’t explain the feeling in the slightest, like he had hurt his name in that lilting tone a hundred thousand times before.. it made his skin crawl and come to life at the same time.

But before he could truly let himself analyze the emotion he was sure Xichen had already figured out in him before they parted ways, he realized he was being dragged.

The history department was perhaps the only part of the building that Wangji had seen before— he’d stumbled through these halls to find his uncle teaching a few times when he was younger and his father and mother hadn’t been around to pick him up from his own school. Waited in the same hallway in front of the same door that Jiang Cheng was throwing open.

He wasn’t truly able to process any of the conversation between the brother of yunmeng as his mind drifted back to all of the unfortunate childhood memories that had taken place before he’d come here before. When he was finally able to shake out of his memories he felt Wei Wuxian’s hand still laced around his wrist and shook it off gently, looking for a prime seating arrangement before deciding that this would be a fine place to settle, with a good view of the front.

He, like Jiang Cheng, began to open his bag taking his belongings out far too focused to even notice Wei Wuxian’s constant tease...

He knew what Uncle expected of him. And he was going to be it. Judging by the clock the bell would ring any minute now..

A boy skid into the classroom Like he’d darted the whole way, panting and fanning himself with one hand before he noticed the two brothers. Then he lit up like a firework.

“Jiang Cheng! Brother Wei!” Huaisang’s face split into a massive smile, “We’re all in the same first class! What luck?!” He immediately bounded over to take the seat on Wei Wuxian’s free side bustling past Wangji’s seat clumsily with a lot of apologies.

Wei Wuxian smiled, amused an excited to see Nie Huaisang, his friend from childhood. He patted the seat on the other side of Lan Zhan meaningfully and watched as the other boy greeted them and sat down,

“What good luck!” Wei Wuxian exclaimed, clapping his friend on the back in familiarity as Jiang Cheng snorted.

Jiang Cheng had no issues with Huaisang, although it had always been obvious to him that Huaisang felt closer and was more amused by Wei Wuxian then himself. In fact, sometimes Jiang Cheng had felt like a bit of a third wheel in the friendship and it sometimes reminded him how his brother was much better at making friends and obviously more interesting than he was. For those reasons the fact that Huaisang was in this class was not as exciting to him as it was to Wuxian. Not to mention that with those

“Fantastic, someone else to babysit.” He said with some sarcasm.

Wei Wuxian smirked and rolled his eyes,

“Don’t mind him Huaisang, he’s cranky from chasing me around after I called him cute in public. You know how he is.”

Jiang Cheng glared at his brother over his shoulder,

“If you bring this up one more time today I don’t care what class it is I’m punching you in the face.”

Wei Wuxian’s eyebrow rose,

“You know it might be worth it to see if you’d dare.”

A minute or so later the classroom door opened and revealed a rather severe looking teacher. He was neatly dressed with perfect posture, and a stern disposition. He moved with purpose towards the teacher’s podium, placing his briefcase down and addressing the class as he opened up to his lesson plan,

“Good morning class, I am your History of Cultivation Professor, Dr. Lan Qiren. In this course you will be learning about your possible ancestors. Although cultivation seems to be something of a dying art in these times it is the very fabric of our very history.”

Wei Wuxian leaned forward in his seat, intrigued, both by the topic, and by the similarities of the Lan male besides him and his uncle. Not visually, heavens no, Lan Zhan was obviously the more attractive, but posture, discipline, sticks up there- well you get the point.

Jiang Cheng meanwhile was riveted by the topic alone. He did his best to conceal his interest, not wanting to look like a suck up or to be to over eager. He really hated showing emotions in general. The only one he could tolerate showcase was anger.

“In fact, as I was reading the roster this time around I noticed similar names to some of the highest cultivation sects of the time, so I suppose those pupils will find that somewhat interesting.”

Jiang Cheng smiled at that, having read the syllabus he knew that the Jiangs were included in that list and anyway most families that came from cultivators had some evidence or family stories already. He couldn’t wait to hear more about his ancestors, having been interested in the topic since young but not really knowing how to go about researching it on his own.

“But before we begin lessons I think it’s important to go over some rules. First-”

Wei Wuxian tuned out about the time rules were mentioned and he off again, on again as the man went. Damn there were a lot of rules. Suddenly it kind of made sense why Lan Zhan was so uptight. Instead of the rules Wei Wuxian glanced over at Lan Zhan imagining the kind of discipline the boy must be used to.

‘This poor boy.’ He thought to himself, grateful for his own clan which was pretty much the exact opposite, minus Mrs. Yu and Jiang Cheng.

He grew up like a wild plant or a weed, while Lan Zhan was cultivated like some delicate orchid or something. He snorted imagining Lan Zhan as a flower and snickered to himself before whispering to the boy,

“So that’s your Uncle? You Lan’s really like your discipline don’t you?”

Jiang Chang could hear Wei Wuxian whispering behind him so he gave him a quick glare before turning back, but didn’t say anything. With any luck he wouldn’t be dragged into any strange shenanigans that Wuxian thought up. After all he was in this class to learn, not get into trouble. Although even he had to admit the rules were too long and numerous to remember. He couldn’t wait to get to the cultivation part. But he supposed he’d have to be patient…even though that was certainly not his forte.

Wangji’s eyes flickered to Wei wuxian with a glare so cold it could freeze the earth over if he wanted.

“.. ooooo, scary” huaisang whispered as he tugged on Wei Ying’s sleeve, shivering in his seat. “You shouldn’t mess with the Lan’s a-ying.. their family has been powerful for generations. He might eat you up..”

Wangji slid his attention back to the front of the room though his knuckles were now white. Disobedience was equal to disrespect when it came to a classroom setting. And disobeying the rules he had been raised by in this classroom was disrespecting his Uncle. He smoothed his robes over, straightening his back as he caught his uncles eye.

He had to prove to his Uncle that letting him out of cloud recesses wasn’t a mistake, and remain the star pupil, though his knowledge of the basics of cultivation were certainly well engrained in him already. He was here to assist, to set an example and Wei wuxian—

He shot another glare in his direction at the noise coming from beside him at the table. Wei wuxian was a huuuge distraction from that. He made it hard to hold back his longing to engage, and keep his perfect facade going.

“A-ying, why are you even taking this class?” Huaisang asked, slowly lifting his fan to hide his face from Wangji’s direction as he noticed the glare resume.

Wei Wuxian snickered, patting Huaisang’s hand,

“Since when have I been a respector of names Huaisang? I’m not afraid of powers, no self-made man should be, and that’s what I intend. Although, thinking about it,” he said with a pause, before leaning towards Lan Wangji, batting his lashes and questioning,

“Is that true? Do you intend to eat me up?” he teased, a giggle in his throat just imagining the reaction or lack thereof, of one Lan Wangji. Still he was sure behind the hard glares and cold façade he must be getting to him in some way. Wei Wuxian had never been afraid of a challenge.

Lan Qiren found his nephew, exchanged looks, and nodded his satisfaction. Wangji was his star pupil even before he attended college, and he was pretty sure he’d be his favorite of the class as well. He glanced around his nephew as he spoke, rules ingrained in him so not needing much thought. He frowned slightly at the clownish seeming students over to one side of him, but nodded approval at the boy in front of them who was refusing to engage in their tom foolery, along with Wangji of course.

Jiang Cheng practically preened at the nod. He was happy that he had by this point in his life learned to ignore Wei Wuxian like a pro… at least when the other boy wasn’t directing something at him. Cheng loved adult approval and that little thing caused him to write even faster. He didn’t even care how many ridiculous rules there were, if he had a chance of getting adult approval following it all would be worth it.

Wei Wuxian for his part was paying more attention to Nie Huaisang and trying to get Lan Wangji’s attention more than he cared what the teacher was seeing or thinking for that matter. At Huaisang’s question Wuxian answered,

“Matching Jiang Cheng’s schedule actually, not everything mind you, but at least the things that sounded interesting. I needed a History credit anyway, what about you?”

He wondered why Huaisang would choose a predominately battle-heavy history course, as he was usually not interested in such things,

“Did your brother put you up to it?” he questioned, amused at the thought.

“W-well,” huaisang said shyly, “Mingjue did recommend the course,” he admitted, “but I chose it of my own volition,” he admitted quietly. “I heard they’d be telling tales of our great great great ancestors.. more of them than just the book I found locked away in our attic..” he set his fan on the desk, smiling at the interactively carved patterns. “I found this fan there too...”

Lan Wangji, despite all the teasing and rambunctious behavior, kept his eyes peeled forward to his uncle, though irritation had his body wright with tension. Who did these two think they were? Could they really know enough to ignore his Uncle on the first day?

He was beginning to notice a trail of trouble following one Wei Wuxian like a shadow. “Tch,” he huffed under his breathe thoroughly irritated by all the teasing and ignorance. Instead he wrote in his notebook, attempting to focus himself ... he had just met the man. He couldn’t let him ruin his studies like this.

So... even though he had the rules memorized by heart Wangji wrote and ignored and wrote and ignored... and when he’s finished writing the rules before they could leave his Uncles mouth... he let his calligraphy brush flow freely, leaving two little bunnies on the side of his page.

Wei Wuxian’s lip quirked up as he heard about a book in Huaisang’s attic,

“Sounds like we are going to have to have a sleepover soon and explore this book of yours,” he eyed the fan, “looks cute. Do you plan to carry it to all of your classes? Or are you going to write notes on it? It looks pretty ancient, better make sure your allergies can take it.”

Jiang Cheng turned around to glare at Wuxian and Huaisang, hissing, “College males don’t have sleepovers Wei Wuxian, and would you two be quiet.”

He turned back around quickly, jotting down notes as Lan Qiren went on, not wanting to be drawn into Wuxian’s usual shenanigans.

Lan Qiren continued to drone on so Wei Wuxian passed notes back and forth with Huaisang for a while, before glancing back over at the stoic Lan Zhan. He had noticed the others beautiful handwriting, but words were words after all, so it wasn’t until he noticed two bunnies drawn that his attention was back.

“They are so cute,” he whispered to the stoic boy, “does Lan Zhan like bunnies?”

He tilted his head thinking and then remembered something,

“That’s funny because when I was little I remember being obsessed with bunnies, donkeys, and chickens for some reason. Not your usual favorite animals of three year olds. Then again I was never a normal child.”

“What about you, when did you start to love bunnies, hmmm?”

Users who are viewing this thread

Back