Other Math help?

So I really need some help with my math homework. I have a couple problems I just cannot figure out. I'm on spring break, so I cannot ask my teacher. Neither of my parents are anywhere decent at math, so I can't ask them. I totally broke, so I can't pay for a tutoring app or anything. So please just help me with these problems. If you could list the steps so I could understand how to do them, that would be great. Thanks!
P.S. These are all algebra problems.
______________________________________________________________________________________
3. Which two equations are parallel?
4x + 3y = 15 3x - 4y = -8 y +1 = 4/3 * (x - 6) y = 3/4 * x -5
______________________________________________________________________________________
9. Which ordered pair is a solution of:
x = -2y - 3
y = x

a. (-1, -1)
b. (3, 1)
c. (1, 3)
d. (2, 2)
11. Solve the system.
-2x - y = 3
y - 12 = x
12. Solve the system.
3y - 4x = 29
2y + 5x = 4
14. Graph. Give two ordered pairs that are solutions and two ordered pairs that are not solutions.
y ≤ 2x + 3
x > 4
17. Amber is buying drinks and snacks for a party at her house. She can spend no more than $20. Drinks (d) cost $1 each. Snacks (s)cost $2 each. She needs at least 5 of each snack.
That's it. Most of them I have some sort of basic idea about what to do, but word problems really throw me.

I made 9 and 11 that were the simplest ones; 12 follows the same procedure as 11, it's just a tad harder, try it again. And 9 is similar to 14. Had fun doing these haha, some math is good for the soul sometimes, until it gets frustrating. If I feel like it I'll do the others tomorrow, good luck!
What does 'parallel equations' mean? Like, the same answer? Also, what even is 17 asking haha?

Attachments

• img099.jpg
    img099.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 8
I made 9 and 11 that were the simplest ones; 12 follows the same procedure as 11, it's just a tad harder, try it again. And 9 is similar to 14. Had fun doing these haha, some math is good for the soul sometimes, until it gets frustrating. If I feel like it I'll do the others tomorrow, good luck!
What does 'parallel equations' mean? Like, the same answer? Also, what even is 17 asking haha?
I don't even know what 17 is asking either.

I believe it's asking if she can buy the items or not. I'm not sure.

Whoops! Looks like I forgot to answer one of your questions. Parallel equations have the same slope.

#9. Since 'y' is equal to 'x', you may simply substitute 'x' in for 'y' in the first equation. Then treat it as an equation in one variable: x = -2x - 3 -> -3x = 3 -> x = -1 and y = -1. The answer is henceforth: 'a'.

#11. You can solve the system the same way. Solve one equation in terms of 'x', and then substitute that expression in the other equation, like so:

-2x - y = 3
y = - 3 - 2x
-3 - 2x - 12 = x
-15 = 3x
x = -5

And since y = -3 - 2x, y = -3 - 2(-5) = -3 + 10 = 7.
Hence: (x, y) = (-5, 7)

#12. You should be able to solve this using the methods as explained above.

#14. Anywhere the two graphs overlap represents a solution. Anywhere the two graphs do not overlap represents an ordered pair that is not a solution.

#17. Amber must by 5 of each snack at $2.00 a snack. 2*2.00 = $10.00. This leaves her with $10.00 for drinks. Assuming she uses all of her money, this means that she purchases 5 Snacks and 10 drinks. Although having said this, I suspect that this problem is incorrectly copied from it's source material, as it appears to be incomplete, or at least worded incorrectly. You should point this out to your teacher when you get back.

:edit:

I just realized that this thread was started on March 14th. lol. My bad. xD Well, I hope you did well on this, Scattered Ambitions Scattered Ambitions . :D

#9 - plug and play. insert x and y values, but to give you an edge on these kinds of questions, if EVER you have an #x = #y you just divide them out then apply the ratio (I.E. if it was 3x = 2y then you will always be able to divide x by 3, and y by 2. Make sense?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back