• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Martial Arts - Pancracean (Pankration)

Purr

Kaerri's Man. =)
Supporter
Roleplay Availability
Roleplay Type(s)
Pancracean (a.k.a. "Pankration" from Rifter #7)

Pancracean is actually an old Greek kick boxing art. Just like France developed Savate, the Greeks developed Pancracean. Its roots are a mystery to me, but I do know that it is part of the same family that saw the development of Roman Wrestling and even Savate and Sambo. Very different martial arts, true, but related to each other nonetheless.

Pancracean is similar to Muay Tai (sic), in fact, except it tends to be a little more reliant on strength and power, and grappling ability, than speed or technique. The kicks are conservative and, especially today, the emphasis is placed more on the boxing side. Wrestling and grappling is still a large part of Pancracean, but while all students are taught the basics involved, it is preferable to stay upright and fighting at arm's length. There is no weapons training involved.

Character Bonuses
Add 3 to P.S.
Add 2 to P.E.
Add 2 to P.P.
Add 2 to Spd.
Add 15 to S.D.C.

Combat skills
Attacks per Melee: 3
Escape Moves: Roll, Breakfall.
Basic Defenses: Parry, Dodge, Automatic Parry.
Advanced Defenses: Combination Parry/Attack, Parry/Throw (Special! Like a Parry/Attack, except the Parry goes straight into a Grapple or Body Flip of some kind; there is a distinct difference in the way this is performed as compared to an Auto-Body Flip/Throw).
Hand Attacks: Strike, Backhand, Elbow, Palm, Fore-knuckle Fist.
Foot Attacks: Kick, Snap Kick, Trip/Hook, Roundhouse, Crescent Kick, Knee.
Special Attacks: Body Flip/Throw, Body Block/Tackle.
Holds/Locks: Wrist Lock, Elbow Lock, (Achilles) Leg Lock.
Weapon Skills: None.

Level Advancement Bonuses
1st - Critical Strike from behind, +2 to Strike, +2 to Pull Punch.
2nd - +2 to Parry, +2 to Dodge, +1 to Roll/Breakfall.
3rd - +1 Attack per Melee.
4th - Critical Strike on a natural roll of 19 or higher.
5th - +1 to Parry, +2 to Damage, Axe Kick, Neck Hold.
6th - +1 to Body Flip/Throw, +2 to Pull Punch, +1 to Strike.
7th - +1 to Dodge, +1 to Holds/Locks, Knife Hand, K.O. on a natural roll of 19 or higher.
8th - +2 to Roll/Breakfall, +1 Attack per Melee
9th - +1 to Initiative, +1 to Strike, +3 to Damage
10th - +1 to Parry, +1 to Dodge
11th - +1 to Strike, +1 to Body Flip/Throw, +1 to Pull Punch
12th +1 Attack per Melee, +5 to S.D.C.
13th - Forearm Attack, Reverse Turning Kick, gain the Lightning Form as described under Thai Kick Boxing in Ninjas & Superspies. Lightning Form: This is the style most often used in competition. It allows all the normal attacks per melee round to be delivered in the first attack. In other words, if the character has five attacks per melee, then all five strikes can be made at one time. It must be done as the first attack in a melee round and the character must have the initiative. The problem is that after the attack the character cannot Dodge and has no bonuses to Parry for the rest of that melee round.
14th - Critical Strike on a natural roll of 18 or higher, +1 to Parry, +1 to Dodge.
15th - +1 Attack per melee

A Pankration expert (and his brave reporter) goes into the background, techniques, and mindset of the Spartan. Very good video. =)

In the video, they get into the Achilles Leg Lock which, unfortunately, was not added to the above Palladium write-up. However, this is my game and if Human Weapon says it's part of Pankration, I'm willing to believe it. I have practiced this technique in Real Life so consider it added. If used on the right opponent, it can cause a screaming submission. =)

"Pankration (Terry Schappert)"

Pankration as sport today. (Good match with a gold medal on the line.) =)

"Pankration -84kg Men's Finals"

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back