• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Martial Arts - Jeet Kune Do "The Way of the Intercepting Fist" 2.0

Purr

Kaerri's Man. =)
Supporter
Roleplay Availability
Roleplay Type(s)
Bruce Lee's Jeet Kune Do 2.0 (Tier 2 - Total Skill Cost =5)

Hello,

I mean this in the best and happiest way possible - I don't mind anyone using my Jeet Kune Do 2.0, but would you provide credit? I'm kind of proud I wrote that up and that's mine.

Please, ask me.

Under "Illegal or Immoral Content" in the Site Rules (underline mine):

"Copyright, Sharing, and Plagiarism
Users are prohibited from sharing content that is copyright-protected and explicitly restricted from public sharing. This includes all media, as well as original written works. In the case of original written content created by other users on RpNation, The Staff advises that permission is sought to use this content and credit to the original author included. Plagiarism is strictly prohibited. RpNation will respect legitimate claims for DMCA."

Just something like "Shared with permission by its creator, Dannigan" please.

* * *​

"Take what is useful, discard what is useless, and add what is essentially your own." - Bruce Lee

GM NOTE: Having studied Jeet Kune Do in Real Life, I do not agree with the author's viewpoints in Rifter #7. While I think he may have watched some of Lee's movies, I am not convinced he studied Lee's books where Jeet Kune Do is described in deep detail. I may alter (read: improve) this write-up to more accurately reflect my view of Jeet Kune Do. There are things missing here, like Jeet Kune Do's signature combination eye flick plus hook kick. Lee also had a flying side kick that "hit like a truck." Biting, grappling, etc. It was all there in his cinema and his fantastic book, The Tao of Jeet Kune Do. While these alterations are but my point of view, I see them as worthwhile. But to add them first, I'll need time and opportunity. =)

GM NOTE: I am altering Jeet Kune Do in Robotech: Broadsword. Call it Jeet Kune Do 2.0 if you like the name. Player-Characters may choose from either Jeet Kune Do "1.0" or "2.0".

Character Bonuses
Add 2 to I.Q.
Add 3 to P.P.
Add 2 to P.S.
Add 2 to P.E.
Attacks per Melee: 3

Combat techniques
Escape Moves: Roll, Maintain Balance, Breakfall.
Basic Defenses: Parry, Dodge, Automatic Parry.
Advanced Defenses: Combination Parry/Attack.
Hand Attacks: Strike (d6), Backhand (d6), Elbow (d6), Fingertip Attack (1 point), Forearm (d6), Palm Strike (d6), Power Punch (double-damage, counts as two attacks), Uppercut (d10).
Foot Attacks: Kick (d8), Crescent Kick (d10), Knee (d6), Reverse Turning Kick (Combination Dodge/Kick, 2d6 damage, 1/round), Roundhouse Kick (3d6), Side Kick (d10), Snap Kick (d6), Trip/Hook (no damage, causes knockdown, cannot be parried).
Jumping Attacks: Jump Kick (d8 + Critical Strike), Flying Jump Kick (d10 + Critical Strike).
Special Attacks: Body Flip/Throw, Choke, plus...
- Bite (grappling range only. 1-2 damage + 1/2 strength bonus [maximum +3]. Opponent must Save vs. Pain [14] or release hold/lock).
- Eye-flick (No damage. Opponent is -2 to Strike, Parry, and Dodge for one melee round).
- Head-butt (in-fighting and grappling range only, d8 damage).
- Self-knowledge (Special! The Jeet Kune Do artist may learn a martial art technique from any other system, subject to GM approval, no Automatic Dodge or Circular Parry). Signature techniques like Aikido's Knife-hand Knockout and Thai Kick Boxing's Lightning Form cannot be learned. Techniques with a "prerequisite" must be learned in order. For example, to learn Automatic Elbow Hold, one must first learn Elbow Hold. "All knowledge is ultimately self-knowledge." - Bruce Lee).
Holds/Locks: Arm Lock, Leg Hold, Wrist Lock.

Level Advancement Bonuses
1st - +1 to Perception, +2 to Parry, +2 to Dodge.
2nd - Eye-flick + Roundhouse combination (one Strike roll for both effects), +1 to Initiative, +1 to Strike, +1 to damage.
3rd - Self-knowledge, +1 Attack per Round, Critical Hit on a natural roll of 19 or higher.
4th - Way of the Intercepting Fist (Special! Once per round, upon his opponent's attack, the JKD artist may attempt to Simultaneously Attack the opponent. If successful, the JKD artist has the option to intercept before the opponent's strike connects. If the JKD artist's strike is successful, roll damage. The opponent must Save vs. Pain [14]. Failing the saving throw results in the opponent losing his attempted attack), +1 to Strike, +1 to Parry, +1 to Dodge.
5th - Flying Side Kick causes knockdown, +1 Attack per Round, Critical Hit on a natural roll of 18 or higher.
6th - Self-knowledge, One-Inch Punch (Special! May only be used once per melee, and must be the first attack used that round; does 2D6 damage + knockdown), +1 to Initiative, +1 to Strike, +1 to Damage.
7th - Flying Side Kick does 4d6 damage + knockdown, +1 Attack per Round, +1 to Perception, +2 to Body Flip/Throw.
8th - +1 to Initiative, +1 to Strike, +1 to Damage, Critical Hit on a natural roll of 17 or higher.
9th - Self-knowledge, +1 to Parry, +1 to Dodge, Knockout on a natural roll of 19 or higher.
10th - One-Inch Punch causes 4d6 damage + knockdown, +1 Attack per Round, +1 to Roll, +1 to Body Flip/Throw.
11th - Death Blow on a natural roll of 19 or higher. Critical Hit on a natural roll of 16 or higher.
12th - Self-knowledge, +1 to Initiative, +1 to Strike, +1 to Damage.
13th - +1 to Parry, +1 to Dodge, Knockout on a natural roll of 18 or higher.
14th - Death Blow on a natural roll of 18 or higher, +2 to Perception.
15th - Self-knowledge, +1 Attack per Round, Critical Hit on a natural roll of 15 or higher.

(Spoiler contains Jeet Kune Do from Rifter #7)
Jeet Kune Do from Rifter #7
O.K., fine, this may appear Chinese, but it deserves recognition, and it was founded in America. Jeet Kune Do was developed by Bruce Lee, founded on his original principles of Wing Chun. He began teaching in American, and started a bit of a ruckus in the Chinese community in doing so. Since then, J.K.D. has gone on to be inspirational to countless other styles around the world. Bruce Lee's Way "Way of the Intercepting Fisst" is a very basic appraoch to fast, effective martial arts power. From his movies and screen appearances, and since-produced video games, we may imagine J.K.D. to be flashy and acrobatic. Not so. The truth is, it was very easy to learn. Kicking above the knee was seen as pointless. The emphasis was (and is) placed on raw striking power - economy of movement and blinding speed. Once these things have been mastered, then the student can go on to learn other techniques within the range of his abilities.

Bruce Lee was quoted as saying martial arts "must evolve." Jeet Kune Do was his contribution to this evolution - a style that has no set forms or patterns, or structured ideals. Simple, effective, elegant.

Character Bonuses
Add 3 to P.P.
Add 2 to P.S.
Add 2 to P.E.
Add 3 to Spd.
Attacks per Melee: 3

Combat techniques
Escape Moves: Roll, Maintain Balance.
Basic Defenses: Parry, Dodge, Automatic parry.
Advanced Defenses: Combination Parry/Attack.
Hand Attacks: Strike, Backhand, Power Punch, One-Inch Punch (Special! May only be used once per melee, and must be the first attack used that round; does 2D6 damage).
Foot Attacks: Kick, Snap Kick, Crescent Kick, Trip/Hook, Roundhouse Kick.
Special Attacks: None.
Holds/Locks: None.
Weapon Skills: May select one of the following; W.P. Nunchaku, W.P. Knife, W.P. Short Sword, or may ignore weapons training to add +1 to Parry and Dodge.

Level Advancement Bonuses
1st - +2 to Strike, +2 to Parry, Critical Strike from Behind.
2nd - +2 to Damage, +2 to Dodge.
3rd - Critical Strike on a natural roll of 19 or higher.
4th - Multiple Dodge, +4 feet (1.2 meters) to Leap distance.
5th - +2 to Strike, +2 to Parry
6th - +2 Attacks per Round, +1 to Damage
7th - +2 to Initiative, Axe Kick, Reverse Turning Kick
8th - Jumping Reverse Turning Kick, +4 feet (1.2 meters) to Leap distance, Critical Strike on a natural roll of 18 or higher.
9th - Breakfall, +1 to Strike, +1 to Damage.
10th - +2 to Initiative, Power Parry (does damage), Wheel Kick.
11th - Elbow, Knee, Forearm Strikes, +3 to Dodge.
12th - +1 to Initiative, +1 to Strike, +2 to Damage.
13th - +1 to Strike, +1 Attack per Round, +2 to Damage.
14th - Circular Parry, Body Flip/Throw, Death Blow on a natural roll of 19 or higher.
15th - +1 Attack per Round, Critical Strike on a natural roll of 17 or higher.

Jeet Kune Do in action. This is from the TV show Longstreet. It is eight minutes of Bruce Lee being himself and imparting The Way of the Intercepting Fist to his pupil (who is blind and soon to face a nasty opponent). This is how Lee's character prepares him. There is a great deal of wisdom here.

"Bruce Lee - Way Of The Intercepting Fist and The Art Of Dying"

No wire-fu, no flying stunt dummies, just a real guy kicking a real bag, real hard. This is "Flying Side Kick" from the above move list. =)

"Bruce Lee's side kick (HD)"

=)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back