• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Martial Arts - Aikido, The Way of Harmony (v1.2)

Purr

Kaerri's Man. =)
Supporter
Roleplay Availability
Roleplay Type(s)
Hello,

I mean this in the best and happiest way possible - I don't mind anyone using my Aikido 2.1, but would you provide credit? I'm kind of proud I wrote that up and that's mine.

Please, ask me.

Under "Illegal or Immoral Content" in the Site Rules (underline mine):

"Copyright, Sharing, and Plagiarism
Users are prohibited from sharing content that is copyright-protected and explicitly restricted from public sharing. This includes all media, as well as original written works. In the case of original written content created by other users on RpNation, The Staff advises that permission is sought to use this content and credit to the original author included. Plagiarism is strictly prohibited. RpNation will respect legitimate claims for DMCA."

Just something like "Shared with permission by its creator, Dannigan" please.

26 Nov 2021 - I have revised Aikido a bit. Ninjas & Superspies was written over 25 years ago. Since that time, Aikido (at least according to the Internet) has seemed to have evolved a little. I have increased the number of Attacks per Round from 1 to 2, added a basic punch and Kick attack, and provided Weapon Katas (W.K.) in Sword and Staff. I have also given it Automatic Dodge.

Aikido today appears to be in a state of flux, at least in the public (internet) eye. Some people don't believe it works at all; it's all a sham. Others believe it works well after it has a few additions to its system. Yet others believe traditional Aikido need not evolve at all. But these are all arguments for another time and place. For Robotech: Broadsword, if we can have time travel and protoculture and mixed-race aliens and a Blue World, then hey! Aikido works just like any other martial system in the game too!

This is a game - and gaming means fun! =)

The following background is taken from Ninjas & Superspies:

Aikido has the greatest pacifist stance of all the martial arts presented here. Although Aikido exhibits great defenses against other martial artists it has no offensive moves whatsoever. This is partly because there is not competition in Aikido, where each student seeks to come closer to a perfect sense of harmony. Aikido is a new martial art, created in the 20th Century, and drawing techniques from Jujutsu, Judo, Karate, and Kendo. Advanced students must attend the Dojo in Tokyo, Japan.

As in the the center of a whirlwind, the Aikido master can fend off the attacks of any and all who approach. One attempts to accommodate the opponent as much as possible, so a person wishing to push a knife there should be allowed, no, helped, to do so. Of course, the Aikido master would never be so rude as to interfere with the path of the knife by getting in its way. And the attacker will have to follow his knife hand as it is speeded up by the hand of the Aikido defender. This kind of defensive action also involves an Automatic Body Flip/Throw that can be used in place of the Automatic Parry.

When subduing opponents, the idea is to seize the leading part of the attacker's body, usually right at the wrist or ankle. At this point, one can either use the attacker's momentum in a flip, o, by applying a joint lock, one can lead the attacker around into a helpless position on the ground.

Costume: Standard Karate outfit with additional Black Hakama.
Stance: Aikido's standard position is the Shizentai Gamae, a natural stance that can be facing either right or left. In right stance, the feet are a shoulder's width apart, right foot facing forward, left foot pointing left, right arm loosely extended at chest level, left arm a hand's width from the body, hands extended loosely with all fingers separated.

Character Bonuses
Double normal CHI (replaced with +1 to Parry, Dodge, and Roll with Impact)
Add 4 to M.E.
Add 2 to P.P.

Combat Skills
Attacks per Melee: 2
Escape Moves: Roll with Punch/Fall/Impact, Breakfall
Basic Defensive Moves: Dodge, Parry, Automatic Parry
Advanced Defenses: Multiple Dodge, Circular Parry, Disarm, Automatic Dodge.
Hand Attacks: Punch, Knife Hand Knock-Out (SPECIAL! Does no damage, but knocks out opponent for 2d4 Melee Rounds. Can only be performed on someone already controlled with a Joint Lock. Requires a normal Strike Roll.)
Foot Attacks: Kick Attack.
Special Attacks: Automatic Flip/Throw, Critical Flip/Throw
Holds/Locks: Automatic Finger Lock, Automatic Wristlock, Automatic Elbow Lock
Weapon Katas: Sword, Staff.

Level Advancement Bonuses
(a little shout out to Kaerri here for using strikethroughs and replacing what we are not using to what we are!). =)
1st - +2 to Parry/Dodge, +3 to Breakfall, +2 to Roll with Punch/Fall/Impact, +2 to Body Flip/Throw
2nd - Select One (1) Additional Atemi or Chi Mastery Power +1 to Initiative, +1 to Strike, and +1 to damage
3rd - +1 to Body Flip/Throw, +1 to Disarm
4th - + One (1) Attack per melee
5th - Critical Body Flip/Throw on a Natural 18-20 (double damage)
6th - +1 to Parry/Dodge, +1 to Body Flip/Throw (Body Flip does 2d6 extra damage from now on, instead of the usual 1d6)
7th - +2 to Breakfall, +1 to Disarm
8th - Add One (1) Zenjorike Power +1 to Initiative, +1 to Strike, and +1 to damage
9th - +1 Attack per Melee, +2 to Roll with Punch/Fall/Impact
10th - Double Existing Chi +1 to Parry, Dodge, and Roll with Impact, +1 to Body Flip/Throw
11th - +1 to Breakfall, +1 to Disarm
12th - +1 to Parry/Dodge, +1 to Body Flip/Throw
13th - +2 to Body Flip/Throw
14th - Select One (1) Additional Atemi or Chi Mastery Power +1 to Initiative, +1 to Strike, and +1 to damage, +1 to Breakfall
15th - Add One (1) Zenjorike Power +1 to Initiative, +1 to Strike, and +1 to damage

Why Study Aikido?
As a self-defense art, Aikido can't be beat. It's good against an unlimited number of Multiple Attackers, can operate in Close Combat or in Long-Range, and comes with a fair number of Martial Art Skills and Powers. It's also one of the only two arts that teaches both Atemi and Chi at 1st level. The main disadvantage is that it's totally defensive; there's not much you can do unless someone actually attacks you.

Internet inspiration!

In this short video, an Aikido practitioner (from the AikidoFlow channel) shows 5 of his favorite techniques he has seen actor Steven Seagal perform in his movies. Notice the implementation of a punch or kick as a distraction from the real technique applied immediately thereafter.

"Steven Seagal's Top 5 Aikido Techniques"

Jesse "The Karate Nerd" Enkamp is a skilled practitioner of Karate as it was taught before Karate came to Japan. In Okinawan Karate, joint techniques were part of the system (as was ground fighting, throws, and weapon use unlike the strike-heavy displays often shown in modern day Karate). Here, Enkamp and his younger brother, Oliver, provide a thorough and efficient display of three different joint techniques (two wrist locks and an elbow lock) and then after, he demonstrates one effective escape for each. I include this in the Aikido section because this is one of the best joint lock lessons I've seen on the Internet.

"3 Joint Locks Every Karate Practitioner Should Know"

But if I'm going to show the Enkamps's serious side...

...I have to show their silly sides too! Watch as Jesse and Oliver Enkamp along with a good friend take it away! =)

"Karate vs. Aikido in STREET FIGHT"

Martial arts can be so much fun! =)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back