System/Mechanics Making descriptive group RP need some help hashing out a few details.

Brea The Brave

So this group RP I plan to make will probably be a small descriptive RP group but I need help with a few details.

1. What post requirement should a descriptive RP group have? I was thinking of making it a paragraph as to not seem overbearing but I also know most descriptive role players I've met like to do at least 11 lines. I don't want to seem too demanding but I also don't want to be too lax to the point descriptive role players aren't interested. I understand descriptive roleplayers hare hard to come by in group RP and even 1x1 which why I'm expecting the group to be small, but I know some descriptive role-players won't even look if they think the post requirements are too small. So what would be a good post requirement?

2. What would be a good manageable size for this group? I was thinking 4 to 6 people.

3. Onto the RP itself, there are certain mechanics to this RP I'm having trouble with. The first is summoning. Summoning can be a big game-changer. However, I don't want summoning to be easy. The first two people cannot summon at the same time, it's first come first serve. If your opponent manages to summon before you, you cannot summon until after their guardian has left the field and once your guardian has been summoned you can now summon them to the mortal plain for at least 24 hours. It also takes time to summon your guardian and you have to stand still to do so. The issue is I'm not sure how to manage the time obviously this will have to go by post, but how many posts should it take to summon a guardian? How many posts should their guardian be able to remain summoned and finally, how many posts should it take for 24 hours to pass? I used to go by page every 12 pages the time of day would change, but page lengths vary depending on post length so would this be a good way to go about it or is that too long?

As a related note, I have a pretty restrictive storage system as part of a way to make things challenging. You are allowed to have 8 items, 5 pieces of gear, 2 accessories and 4 weapons. You can collect more, but extra items, gear, and weapons are sent back to your chest. The only way for you to switch items out is to either got back to your chest yourself or send your guardian. Your guardian can fast travel between shrines and switch out your items, gear and or weapons, but during this time you lose all benefits of having a guardian save for reincarnation, but how much time should it take for the guardian to go to your chest and come back?

You are also allowed to have 6 spells equipped at a time. At first, I was going to have them locked in, but decided you can switch them out as long as you find a shrine. This will be only place you can do so, otherwise, you are stuck with the spells you have. Obviously, this process would take a certain amount of time as well and again...I don't know how long that should be. It seems most of my problems, have to do with time and how to display it.

Personally, I believe if this is going to be a small group then maybe it would be best to ask them what their thoughts are on it and you can come to an agreement on these things and decide together on what might be an appropriate amount of time/posts. If it's going to be a small group there may not even be w need for post numbers as they would probably fairly act out the amount of time. I think depends on what's going on in the story you create rather than posts lengths, but I do understand the need to things worked out just in case.

Typically descriptive RP centers around stories so they might be more concerned with stories than battle mechanics, though it can make things interesting. My point is your participants may want to decide how long these things would take based on what would make the story better and more interesting so the time might vary, as long as they're fair about it I think it will be fine.

Last edited:
Personally, I believe if this is going to be a small group then maybe it would be best to ask them what their thoughts are on it and you can come to an agreement on these things and decide together on what might be an appropriate amount of time/posts. If it's going to be a small group there may not even be w need for post numbers as they would probably fairly act out the amount of time. I think depends on what's going on in the story you create rather than posts lengths, but I do understand the need to things worked out just in case.

Typically descriptive RP centers around stories so they might be more concerned with stories than battle mechanics, though it can make things interesting. My point is your participants may want to decide how long these things would take based on what would make the story better and more interesting so the time might vary, as long as they're fair about it I think it will be fine.
Hmm, fair point it's just I know some people like for everything to be worked out beforehand, so I kind of wanted to have it done, but I might just do that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back