Sir Les Paul

The Duke of Chords
Supporter

Beta Protocol

betaprotocol-png.199757

Admin Team

Sir Les Paul - Roleplay Owner / Mayor of Gotham

The Regal Rper - Mayor of San Francisco

This is a story about survival... and of death. It was The End of the Justice League as the world knew it and the beginning of a new era of heroes. Just as the Justice Society faded into history, the Justice League began to fade as time trickled on and the tragedy of Alcatraz became but a memory no different than the Challenger explosion of the 80's. The impact of Alcatraz lingered, however, as it was final straw that tipped the League out of favor with the United Nations. With faith in the League falling, many of its prominent members left to salvage their own reputations. Truth was, the Justice League as it was had all-but died in the year after Alcatraz.

The reality soon sank in that the world still demanded the protection that only an agency like the League could provide. At first, this protection was attempted by various task forces, military agencies and mercenaries; but, those methods continued to prove unreliable in both motivation and efficiency. It was evident that the world needed a body of justice - a congregation of those with the power and ambition to make a difference. It was decided to rekindle the League, but with a strong arm to keep them in line. With that directive in mind, the United League of Justice was formed.

The Hand of Justice, the leader of the League as appointed by the United Nations, was none other than Joseph Waller, III, grandson of Amanda Waller and the previous leader of the newest iteration of Task Force X. Known as The Wall, much like his grandmother, Joseph and his sheer determination was capable of convincing the Bat Family to join in, and soon after, their support and gift of the Watchtower as a base of operations drew in other heroes, ultimately reigniting the interest of Themyscira and Atlantis. A new council was formed to advise the Hand of Justice, consisting of various heroes from various cultures. And, while The Hand maintained finality in decisions, it is by listening to his peers that he preserves balance within the new League.

Alongside the changes made to the League were the formation of branches within the League. As not all heroes are equal, neither are the threats that they face. Not every villain requires a Superman, but not every enemy can be taken down by arrows and batarangs. These branches are simply deemed Alpha, Beta and Gamma, and this narrative focuses on the Beta Squad. The streetwise superheroes and even borderline vigilantes lending their assistance towards the greater good. Their knowledge, their efforts and their intel often lead the other squads to success and their drive to clean the streets of the filth that occludes it often does more for the people than any hero in the mainstream media.

-Prologue, SLP

Last edited:
Hello! I was wondering if it was OK to make a character that is the child of lex luthor. Probably will be Neutral but can assist the heroes at times due to Lex's fear of Ra Al Ghul rise to power.@Sir Les Paul

Last edited by a moderator:
@Robyn Banks There is actually a character that is a "perfected" clone of Lex Luthor in this continuity.

Long story short, this is a reboot of a previous RP (two actually) so there are some existing characters already on there way to being made. I'll have to get caught up on what Lex was doing, but it's commonplace in this RP that his clone-daughter is the head of Lex Corp now and leads a project called Titanguard - which is basically the very-expensive android alternative to the Justice League.

Personally, I don't mind a child of Lex Luthor, but a lot of the character resources there are in use.

You can always PM me and discuss some ideas. A lot of the DC roster has been used, but a lot hasn't. For instance, I used Starfire and Captain Comet for Thrall, and tied him into Wonder Woman later (that was in IC previously). So there are a few round-about ways to get results.

No, Shade hasn't actually. Although if you want to do a Shadowlandsesque character, do keep in mind that the Beta Branch of the UJL is meant for the street-level heroes with weaker powersets. 

I'm considering using Killer frost and Captain Cold then as parents.I'll have a CS soon.

Hello there!  I'm inclined to make an Amazon from Themyscira.  If there's any in-setting impacts, that would be nice to know.  I did notice Thrall's evidently the representative of the island, and it sounds like from his backstory that Wonder Woman's largely retreated from the world.  Any thing else relevant to the char gen process would be great to know!

Otherwise, hope to have a character built sometime today or tomorrow.

Your base assumptions are correct thus far. There is a character that is the son of Diana.

The big factor to consider here is that this role play is centered on Beta Squad, which are the low-to-no powered street-level heroes. 

Another question: Is there a central hub city where all the action's flowing from?  Are PCs turning up anywhere they like?  And how is the band being put together?  Is it assumed we're already members of the League's Beta team?

Would the League council get involved in the missions or would they just supervise them?

Nightwing (Jessica Grayson) and Black Beetle are the supervising members of the Council for the entire Beta Branch. I intend for this RP to be focused solely on the beta Branch, so you shouldn't be expecting others.

Another question: Is there a central hub city where all the action's flowing from?  Are PCs turning up anywhere they like?  And how is the band being put together?  Is it assumed we're already members of the League's Beta team?

There actually isn't a hub city. I allow characters to start off in their home cities. Starling, Central, Gotham (for me). You can do as you like; keep in mind, these are street-level heroes. I would suggest trying to congregate together at the very least.

The band is being put together primarily by the Bat Family "recruiting" them; and, this answers your next question: not all characters have been recruited, thus you can make your character a vigilante to begin with and have your own personal recruitment arc.

Thanks for the context, boss.  I've posted a rough draft of my prospective Amazon but need to think more about how to hook her into the group, particularly with the Bat Family recruitment process.  @sitanomoto I imagine you're the one to talk to? :)

I'm not really sure!  I freely admit I'm not terribly experienced with this type of roleplay and most of my exposure to the DC Universe comes from the movies and the TV shows.  >_>

How does one usually meet and impress your girl? :)   Is she/the reforming League/the Beta Team advertising in any way?  Is this all done through coincidental chance encounters, as comics so often do?  Any particular criteria you're looking for?  

Heh.  We might try an RP thread to model the introduction if that's amusing or fun for you.  Again, not super sure how it's usually done here as I didn't participate in the previous RP this one comes from.  What's good for you?

I think Jess would be seeking out members for the league. she doesn't seem like the type to just sit around. 

I believe that @Sir Les Paul would be good to talk to also, since he's the one with the plots in mind. 

@sitanomoto:

@Sir Les Paul has given me a lot of excellent feedback to think about and, however it goes, I need to do a bit of retooling.  Let me see if I can firm up and finalize Scyleia in the next day or so and I'll be in a better spot to figure out best approach for joining up.  

That said, I'm probably not the only new player coming on board.  You might think about how you'd like to handle recruiting and onboarding other new members, especially if Nightwing is the only (PC) leader of the team.

I control Black Beetle, whom is a council member and team leader for Beta. I also have a villain and anti-hero primary characters. I even have a chaotic neutral character. Lol

I have made the Gotham City IC post! Not pressuring anyone to post yet, but I'm just kind'a making notes of progress. That post is just going to be the shelter for all things Gotham and Gotham is basically going to be my personal city. That is not the quality I'm looking for in posts, but it can provide you quite a bit of information I found about the city. I sifted through some of it, decided not to add some in, and really tried to cut out a lot of the backstories such as the mystical aspects and Court of Owls simply to keep things from getting overly complex as it is. That will read like a dry textbook and it is meant to.

Why am I so lazy! I need to make a cs but i just can't be bothered. Like I have it all planned out and everything but I can't get myself to do it.

Howdy~

Quick question @Sir Les Paul: Can I make a character related to Raven? I didn't see any kids/family of hers in the made character sheets, but I figured I'd ask just in case. Also do you need more heroes or should I make a baddie?

We actually did! The character was originally played by @The Regal Rper whom is now making a new character, but Zanreath M. Roth should still be in the "extended" universe of this RP (there's quite a bit more than meets the eye). The character would be found here (If Regal doesn't mind me posting):

He was actually one of my favorites, but he's not quite suitable for the Beta Branch so we likely won't see him. Likewise, I couldn't imagine ANY child of Raven (whom would then be 1/4th Archdemon) fitting into the Beta Branch (which is effectively for low-to-no powered heroes.

As for your choice of alignment, we have plenty of heroes, a good handful of anti-heroes and at least two solid villain PC's. You could pick anywhere, but I do warn you: the anti-hero faction is allowed to kill villains IC - including PC villains. This would include Red Hood, NeoShade and NoOne - all of whom are notably quite dangerous. We could definitely handle another villain, though. But, if you wanted to invert it and play another hero, that's fine, too.

Ahh gotcha! No problem, glad I asked then ^^

Would a younger or inexperienced villain work? Or someone working for another villain? If not I'll probably make a hero since I'm not great at playing full-blown villains in big RP's.

Users who are viewing this thread