• If your recruitment thread involves completely going off site with your partner(s) then it belongs in the Off-Site Ad Area.
  • This area of the site is governed by the official Recruitment rules. Whether you are looking for players or looking for a roleplay, we recommend you read them and familiarize your self with them. Read the Recruitment Rules Here.

Fantasy Magical Military Academy

NightzEnd

The Fabulous Killjoy
As the title gives away, I'm trying to see if anyone would be interested in a literate role play about a military academy specifically focused on training mages. While I don't have much ironed out yet, my goal was to be very detailed with the types of magic, define the political climate, and probably stick to a vaguely dungeon punk type setting. This is mostly for potential head count before I started to focus on writing everything, but I am open to questions, recommendations, etc. While my description is very vague, would anyone be interested in a role play like this?

I'm interested as well, and would also at the very least like to be in on the lore building, just to know what's up and to possibly help out where I can :D

Oh, Lord yes.

Lemme get by epic magical bow. I think I need to get some people into a new career- guarding walls.

...Yeah. Don't laugh too hard, will you?

I will admit this has caught my attention and interest. However, before I start to invest some time in thinking up ideas for characters and maybe adding a bit here and there for the lore, I would like to ask what are you looking for in post length and such? The only reason I ask is that I'm not much of a fan of one-liners. I prefer to have something to work off of when I write and when my character interacts with the other characters.

Oh, Lord yes.

Lemme get by epic magical bow. I think I need to get some people into a new career- guarding walls.

I was thinking it might be something akin to Youjo Senki, from a magic military standpoint, but a bow could still be good too ;P....no laughs here...not too hard anyway ;D

I will admit this has caught my attention and interest. However, before I start to invest some time in thinking up ideas for characters and maybe adding a bit here and there for the lore, I would like to ask what are you looking for in post length and such? The only reason I ask is that I'm not much of a fan of one-liners. I prefer to have something to work off of when I write and when my character interacts with the other characters.
While I'm new to this forum, in my previous role plays elsewhere I tend to go with a two paragraph minimum. I think it's an easy enough standard, but I encourage everyone to write as much as they please.

Oh, Lord yes.

While this RP will likely have some firearms (nothing too modern), I'm perfectly fine with magic bows. It takes a badass to bring a bow to a gun fight, so I'm all for it.

To everyone who is interested, I will start getting everything written up. To those who want to contribute to lore building, magic systems, etc., feel free to PM me with ideas you have until I get off work. I'll probably set up a Discord or something along those lines so it will be easier to get everything created.

Question, are there strictly humans in this, or can we use other fantasy like races (Elves, orcs, etc.)

I’m interested! I’d like to be apart of the world and lore building but I don’t have plenty to contribute and I’d like to see what there is first!

So I think this could be really cool.

I'd probably do it largely in 3 arcs

Arc 1) Entering the academy-> Post mastery of basics into specialization.

The players meet each other, learn the basics of magic, master the basics required and go from the most novice of apprentices to basic mages.
They finish the arc after some test to earn the right to continue and move onto mastering a chosen specialization (maybe failure leads to them remaining a generalist battle mage)

Arc 2) Mastery--> First battles.

The players continue their more advance training learning from each other, and making their own custom tricks.
They advance far enough to start working with the real army, under the guidance of more experienced mages.

Would be a cool chance to split the party, let them come to each others rescue or selection which smaller groups are the best for which missions.

Arc 3) Proper Battle Mages-Retirement

The players are fully fleshed battle mages. They lead units and others, they take missions of a much larger scale. They go from normal battle mages into legends.

At the end of the arc the survivors teach the next generation.

Also these may interest you.

iu

Warmage – Class – D&D Tools
(The lore can't be sent to you here without breaking site rules, since the lore sections are copy righted materials)

But notice, the battle mage, uses a buckler shield strapped to the arm to keep one hand free, at the same time they use a spear which can be easily held with one hand.

This leaves one hand free for spell casting and allows the use of a spear and shield in close combat.

The medium armor is a trade off for the maximum protection you can get when you have to spend much of your time in study rather than physical training. (Heavier armor would be to tiring for extended conditions).

Intrestingly they seem to use camouflage colors. Which would allow them to work better in guerrilla warfare conditions or as skirmishers. (indeed a mage would be most useful in a skirmisher role, with short, high damaging engagements then retreats to minimize damage, mages are expensive)

In general I think it would be most interesting if battle mages did not make up the army but served in officer roles. In a mixture of leadership and specialization.

Thank you everyone who showed interest! I apologize for my late reply, its been a busy weekend for me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back