Character Theory Magic Use: Free Hand vs Catalysts and More

St. Clover

Roleplay Availability
Roleplay Type(s)
So recently I've been making a few more magic casters to fill a world I've been working on, and it's made me notice something. In various media, games, tabletops, books, television shows, whatever, magic users tend to fall into one of two categories. Either they can use magic without the need of a catalyst, or focus, or they can't. Either they can just wave their hands and produce the spells, think on it to happen, or whatever. Or they'll need a tool of sorts to help them, a wand, a staff, a book, ground up sand or crystals. It's been kind of neat to see the difference between them.

Which leads me to this question, what sort of casting style do you prefer with your characters? What sort of item or object to they use to channel their spells, what's the significance? Or if they're free handed, what sort of things to they do to do the magic? Do they will it with no hands, gestures, words?

An example of this, for anyone confused, would be magic use in Dark Souls; you need to use a staff or chime or similar thing to produce yo magic. Meanwhile enemies that don't need that sheit just do it on their own, the dirty cheaters.

I don't like wands/foci etc. as a prequisite for magic. My witch siblings are my main straight up magic characters and Enilias is an illusionist, and its a big deal with that, that you don't see what he's actually doing. If you think about how deceptive real life illusionists are, just imagine what kind of stunts you could pull with actual magic?
His sister doesn't technically use an implement, however, she does store spells in candy which can then be used to cast the spells stored in them. (And they are also delicious)

I prefer something along the lines of how it works in DnD. I.e, you don't need a spell focus to cast magic but using one makes it a bit easier.

So I do a lot of fantasy and superhero roleplays and for the most part I treat my magic as a mutant ability essentially.

I focus more on the genetics of how it comes to be rather than the exact mechanics on how it is used.

That said the mechanics are usually world specific and depend entirely on the story I am telling atm.

I have one world where “magic” is an inherited ability to manipulate reality in a localized manner. So basically within their own territory they can alter reality to be whatever they want. Outside of their reality they’re basically human.

I have another world where magic is universally available and is broken into three talents - Music, Art, Reading/Stories. You must use one of those talents to wield your individual magic. There is a complex power level system in play as well.

I do a lot of Harry Potter AU.

I also like the idea of Prodigies which are people born with superhuman powers that can be either magical or superheroes depending on interpretation. Their powers largely come from either manipulating the energy from a magical dimension OR from some mythological being. Tools would be up to the individual.

I think as a general rule I ldont have a preference between the types. I’m more interested in explaining how humans developed magic in the first place and not as fussed on how it is used. But then most of my stories aren’t built on showing off cool abilities but rather exploring the world.

I've done away with components, and while casting focuses and conduits do exist, they are generally optional here. Part of spellcasting is a matter of willpower, but magic does have to be directed in some way. A regular person might use their arms, and a dragon or bear might use their mouth, that sort of thing.

Focuses are helpful to an extent and have the capability of extending your reach (like using a staff to cast a touching-range spell), but with enough training and skill one can quickly bridge the gap between using a focus and not using one at all. With similar levels of training, your weapon of choice can also be used to direct your spells in different ways.
You can whack your spear against the ground to charge it with lightning, then whack someone to give them a shocking experience. You can swing your sword at a certain angle or direction to change the arc of your magical wave attack. Hell, you can even hold your crossbow like a shotgun and fire a burst of arcane bolts. But if you don't like that, you can always snap your fingers and let your hands do the casting. Whatever works for you.

Honestly depends on the setting, the magic types, and that kind of stuff. Sometimes requiring an orb or a staff in hand makes sense, and sometimes a snap of the fingers makes sense. It makes sense that you can’t toss around necromancy all willy-nilly without something to prevent any character deaths too easily fixed, and it also make sense you shouldn’t have to do a ten minute staff dance for a simple light trick for parties.

I love working with Sigils: Either drawn or tattooed, although I prefer the tattoos. I dunno, I like having mages needing time to cast their spells, both through time or pain. Plus, having parts of your body glowing when you cast a spell is always fun.

Uh.... I don’t know it seems like “all magic is divided into has a catalyst or doesn’t have a catalyst” is a bit like saying “everything in this world is either a potato or not a potato”. It’s not false, it just doesn’t really add anything?

Regardless, I think I generally prefer the non-catalyst type, though the categories are way too broad for this to mean much, it’s just that I generally prefer magic with prices and natural limitations than “oh no I can’t use the hocus pocus because someone stole my Mcguffin!”. I don’t find the switch being an easily removable thing to be an entertaining idea, if anything it can be quite frustrating when it happens in stories. Then again, as I said with this broad a category it’s not like there isn’t a world of exceptions to this rule.

It depends on the setting, but generally, I like the idea when magic can be used without extra means, maybe with some gestures and spells though. And the 'catalyst' may exist to the extent the reach of magic or increase power but not as the only source of casting it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back