• If your recruitment thread involves completely going off site with your partner(s) then it belongs in the Off-Site Ad Area.
  • This area of the site is governed by the official Recruitment rules. Whether you are looking for players or looking for a roleplay, we recommend you read them and familiarize your self with them. Read the Recruitment Rules Here.

Fantasy Magic, animal familiars, airships, utopias, dystopias and grand conspiracies. Welcome to the Great Games of Nye.

Jet

Uncultured
Please forgive my caveman level coding. I'm on mobile. Also please scroll down for secondary lore about the grittier, less ideal parts of this "utopian" world.

d679ecb955a32426df968a0736b7fc52.jpg

d679ecb955a32426df968a0736b7fc52.jpgxJSQnkDfZNe8-kejfhpqT4_089jPk9x_k0Qo7Lyg82k.jpg

If one looks into the horizon on a clear day, they might see a flash of blue light. Legends say it signals the birth of a great man or woman, a child destined to change the world one day. How wrong the legends were. The reality is much more complex and unbelievable, for the flash comes from a magical reactor at the base of Nye, a grand city floating high above the Atlantic Ocean. Her majestic spires cut through clouds and glimmer in the sunlight, a bastion of steel architecture from a bygone era of advanced technology. Her grand boulevards sit atop a mile of dense bedrock, perforated by thousands of narrow tunnels and sublevels — most are still uncharted to this day. Her magical generator is a mystery to modern mages and scientists alike, but many theorize it bends space and time, holding the city in a stasis field of sorts.

Whatever the case, Nye is the greatest city on earth — a shining gem where all are welcome. There is no warfare in the grand city, nor famine, discrimination or poverty. Her massive docks host thousands of airships from every corner of the globe, hauling luxurious cargo for sale in Blue Market, a place lined with fineries and culinary treats of every kind. Nye is where all roads converge, a cultural cornucopia without comparison, even across the five great empires. It is a free state as well, a neutral party in the wars of conquest that ravaged the world long ago.

In this age of uneasy peace, Nye hosts the World Council and the Great Games, a yearly competition where young mages battle for a spot among the world's elite — The Centurion of Nye. Its members are unimaginably strong, well paid mages who patrol the western front, fighting mutated horrors and raider bands.

It is here where our story begins. The great games are tomorrow, and thousands of applicants have been narrowed down to 64 extremely qualified young men and women. Some hail from exclusive academies with expert teachers and limitless resources, others are self educated kids from the street, but they all share one thing, attunement with their familiars.

Some have avian familiars and the power of wind, others have cold-blooded reptiles and control fire. There are those with mammalian familiars who control earth and stone, alongside water users bonded to sea creatures. Last but not least, some control insects or arachnids, giving them control over swarms of ants, bees or spiders — and the venoms they use. There are also sub-elemental types like Polar bears or Arctic Foxes, who grant ice powers, or some jellyfish types that grant electricity. Feel free to pitch your ideas to me and I'll accommodate if possible.

(MAJOR EDIT)

After considering the power system, I've decided to allow any pairing of animal & element. Connecting animals to elements created an unnecessary hurdle for players, so I'm scrapping that.

Instead, animals should reflect their element through physical appearance.

Please note, if you decide to mismatch animal type & element, you will receive mutations from your animal, not your element. For example, a water fox won't give you gills and fins, while a shark will. This gives a minor advantage to aligned types, while allowing you guys to create whatever you want.

(END EDIT)

Familiars also grant mutations when merged with their user. Let's use the humble rat as an example. A rat will give someone exceptional smell, sharp claws and equally strong fangs. Another person might have a hawk, giving them incredible vision, wings and sharp talons.

Given enough time and experience, familiars grow into their mythical counterparts. I have faith you can do the same, with enough patience and practice of course.

Meanwhile, as our characters prepare for the great games, a group lurks in the shadows, threatening to destroy the peaceful era we find ourselves in. Their corruption oozes through the forgotten tunnels beneath the city, rotting the ground below our feet.

Will you stand against it?

General rules of my RPs

1. Please follow RPN rules and guidelines.

2. Please be chill. I encourage respectful debates, but I've had RPs die because of toxic infighting, and I'm not dealing with that again.

3. I want the RP to move forward, and I want to reward active writers, so I have a system for post frequency. If you owe a post for one week I'll send a reminder message. At 10 days I'll allow your scene partners to skip you. At 2 weeks I send another reminder and check up. At 3 weeks I'll temporarily freeze your character, but you can hop back in whenever you want. I'll never completely write out a character or kick someone for inactivity.

4. Character count will be capped at 2 in the beginning. Very active writers will be granted a 3rd spot and extremely active writers will be given a 4th. I go based on activity because the more characters you have, the more scenes you're in, so an inactive person with 4 characters can literally kill the RP.

5. Group size limits. I try to keep scene groups small/medium size, no bigger than 5 is ideal. I sometimes allow 6 characters at once, but I've seen how huge groups work and they're miserable for everyone involved.

6. Even though my rules sound rigid, I try to be very relaxed. You can always take breaks, change characters, or even quit and rejoin later. Overall I just want the RP to move forward and for everyone to have a good time.

7. Co-GM positions will be offered based on activity. If you take a Co-GM position, you choose your workload. I've had Co-GMs run entire arcs, while others have only written a few NPCs here or there. I'll never demand a ton of work from volunteers, that's scummy.

PS

I encourage collaborative lore. I'll do a large portion of the world building, but you can fill in the blanks. Feel free to customize your home region, your character's school, magical orders, legendary figures and objects of power. Also I take suggestions for world lore. The more creative you guys are the better.

Attachments

• xJSQnkDfZNe8-kejfhpqT4_089jPk9x_k0Qo7Lyg82k.jpg
    xJSQnkDfZNe8-kejfhpqT4_089jPk9x_k0Qo7Lyg82k.jpg
    435.9 KB · Views: 5
  • d3763569227585.5b79bd0c0fbae.jpg
    d3763569227585.5b79bd0c0fbae.jpg
    167.5 KB · Views: 234
  • d3763569227585.5b79bd0c0fbae.jpg
    d3763569227585.5b79bd0c0fbae.jpg
    167.5 KB · Views: 3
  • art.png
    art.png
    311.3 KB · Views: 3
  • art.png
    art.png
    311.3 KB · Views: 3
  • Cloud+City.jpg
    Cloud+City.jpg
    83.6 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:
Also to be clear to anyone reading, I need to clarify that animalistic powers aren't always active. You need to merge with your familiar to get those physical traits. I forgot to mention that in the written example.

Two questions come to mind: are the element/species relation a hard rule? Avian=wind, mammal=earth/plants and so on.

Also, Nye certainly seems to be a generally dry (if not terrestrial) city, so would mages with aquatic familiars have to carry fishbowls around, maybe in a bag of holding type thing? Or can they subsist outside of water, even if temporarily?

Two questions come to mind: are the element/species relation a hard rule? Avian=wind, mammal=earth/plants and so on.

Also, Nye certainly seems to be a generally dry (if not terrestrial) city, so would mages with aquatic familiars have to carry fishbowls around, maybe in a bag of holding type thing? Or can they subsist outside of water, even if temporarily?
Fair questions, and the second one took me a while to work out lmao.

The animal/element combo isn't an absolute rule, but there would have to be a good reason for it. Like say a bat would qualify as both an animal of air and earth, so you could choose either. I'm also debating on secondary elements like Polar bears/penguins granting ice abilities. I'm definitely open to developing my power system beyond the basic four elements & bug/poison.

Regarding the second question, they get their life force from their human partner, so they don't need water to breath, or any oxygen for that matter. They move by swimming through the air, however their movement speed is slower out of water. Of all animal types, water users would merge with their familiars more often than other types, who might use their familiars as battle partners. That changes in water, where these familiars absolutely destroy the others.

That said, the physical mutations of sea animals will be very strong. Take a crab for example. You get tons of utility, more than most other animal types. I think it'll balance itself out.

So I went and changed the system to allow sub elements, and mentioned that unique elements & combos can be pitched to me. The more creativity the better. Nellancholy Nellancholy

Secondary lore detailing Nye's Outland isles.

ffa58be32abd9434585cd95c46b12609.jpg

The Outland Isles are a big reason why the mainland is free of societal ills. They are small, densely populated islands that float in Nye's stasis field. This is where the poverty, violence and discrimination is concealed. These islands are governed by unelected administrators, who relentlessly work towards one goal; paying heavy taxes to the central government.

The outlands have varying quality of life. There are some of comparable quality to Nye, while others are but tenement slums floating 10,000 feet from the ocean. This is where you find menial laborers, criminal families, petty thieves and "undesirables" who were exiled for crimes both real and invented. If you make a character from an Outland Island, you have creative freedom regarding its quality of life & governance.

The islands are connected by railways, supported by the same stasis field as the islands.

Last edited:
Secondary lore regarding No Man's Land.

9c8384e6f39613f57b4c785257ce538b.jpg

This isn't a story the Jedi would tell you.

Long ago there were nine great empires. Four of them dominated the western hemisphere, and eventually formed the Pan American Hegemony. They waged a vicious war of expansion against the Eurasian empires, claiming millions of lives as the war became a bloody, endless battle of attrition. Thats when the World Council of Nye made a final, extreme decision, one that reshaped the world.

The aftermath left North and South America a smoldering ruin. They were poisoned with chaotic magic, rendering the land barren and the survivors sick and starving. The west became a land of many names.

The Badlands, The Big Empty, The Void, Craterland, and the official title of No Man's Land.

There are pockets of peaceful survivors, but most residents are mutants and roving bands of psychotic raiders, driven to madness by their own sordid, violent deeds. The people there dream of leaving, of reaching foreign shores with fertile land and clean water, but boarder patrols catch most of them. They're branded mutants, villains and bandits, killed on sight for seeking a better life.

On rare occasions a few people slip through the cracks, and maybe, if fate decides, we will have a couple contestants from No Man's Land. If you choose this route, you need to have a good explanation for how they reached civilization. You also have creative the liberty of creating your own wasteland city/survivor camp, or whatever group they come from.

You should also remember that many Centurions have brutalized westerners, though some have a gentler touch, and understand the difference between violent raider and peaceful survivor. So they should have a good reason for joining the competition, perhaps as a mole or freedom fighter.

Last edited:
After considering the power system, I've decided to allow any pairing of animal & element. Connecting animals to elements created an unnecessary hurdle for players, so I'm scrapping that.

Instead, animals should reflect their element through physical appearance.

Please note, if you decide to mismatch animal type & element, you will receive mutations from your animal, not your element. For example, a water fox won't give you gills and fins, while a shark will. This gives a minor advantage to aligned types, while allowing you guys to create whatever you want.

Some questions I've received.

1. The world's technology is comparable to ours during the 1920s, with some advancements we didn't have yet, such as televisions. I will think of other things the empires would've learned from the floating city, more on this later.

2. Nye and it's surrounding islands are the only known floating cities.

3. There are countries outside the five great empires. Examples are the Sino-Korean Block (Japan and Korea), the Gold Caliphate (a democratic nation in the Middle East), Iceland and Tibet. Most nations have been annexed by the major players, but some hanger-ons remain. Ill have a full list at some point.

4. The Americas are the only wasteland, and it gets less corrupted the more north & south you go (the Yukon and Patagonia are basically untouched).

One last thing to mention, I promise I'll stop spamming here lmao. The general aesthetic of people is more modern, despite the technology level. Think Naruto with it's crisp modern outfits, despite people using kunai and not having cars.

Not that you can't dress like a 1920s Chad/Chadette with a suit or romper, but that's not the common style.

Jet Jet with all the added lore in mind,are you expecting players from the other terrestrial nations as well,or will they mainly be from Nye,the Outlands,and a couple from the US No Man's Land?

DoodleBuglet DoodleBuglet ZackStop ZackStop Gaius Danius Griinia Gaius Danius Griinia Nellancholy Nellancholy EldridSmith EldridSmith Arcanist Arcanist Lost Echo Lost Echo Ayama Ayama Damafaud Damafaud Emphoa Emphoa Ambiloquous Ambiloquous Fred Colon Fred Colon Anne Boolean Anne Boolean

I'll make a discord for OOC & Lore, along with RPN links for the main thread, side story thread and CS thread. I'll also use this giant tag list as copy/paste fodder lol. To anyone new coming to this thread, the RP is still open. I'm capping recruitment at 15-16 players and we currently have 13.
😭 Sorry Jet! I reacted to your first post because I liked the idea, but I really don't think I have time for another RP. Another time, maybe. 😔

Users who are viewing this thread

Back