• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Fantasy Magi Moderni (Lore)

Main
Here
OOC
Here
Characters
Here

kaito9049

Perpetually Cold

On Magic (from the journal of Virginia Toomes)

I still have absolutely zero idea what any of us are doing, let alone what magic even is. But the others seem to believe that I'm the closest to understanding it, so here I go. Can't wait until my mom finds this and has me burned at the stake.

Our — or my, I guess — current theory is that magic is the act of pulling things, or energy, from the other worlds into our own. For whatever reason, the barrier between worlds is super weak here, which is why I guess we get so many flipping ghosts. But occasionally you also get people like us, who weren't born magical but maybe have been exposed enough to it to internalize it? I dunno. I didn't go to school for this.

The Six Schools of Magic​

Abjuration​

Cost: ★★☆☆☆​

Ben swears up and down that this is the best school, and that's sweet, but I don't see it. Still, being able to conjure shields and place wards on people and objects has saved our lives more than a few times. So has being able to tie down a harpy with ethereal chains. OK, fine, maybe Ben's onto something. Still, it's not like you can kill someone with a shield.

Conjuration​

Cost: ★★★☆☆​

Summoning swords, bows, and other weapons — even things like torches and that textbook you left at the apartment. What's not to love? Well, needing to learn how to fight with those weapons, I guess. More creative spells seem to be particularly draining, too; Cal slept for a full day after teleporting us out of the aquarium that one time.

Enchantment​

Cost: ★★★★★​

I'm not going to lie — I think anyone who uses spells like these really, truly have something wrong with them. I mean, being able to make someone feel a little bit better toward you is one thing, sure. Going into their head and forcing them to forget they saw you, or even controlling their mind for a minute or two... Honestly, I still haven't been able to look at Gwen the same way since. I guess I should be glad it's probably the most draining of the schools, and that stronger-willed beings can resist it. I hope I'm one of them.

Evocation​

Cost: ★★★☆☆​

Not much to say about this one. Being able to shoot fireballs out of your hand or create walls of ice is super sick. I still remember how Evette fried that vampire by blasting it with fire. But it felt horrible to see Sam get caught in the crossfire... We need to be more careful with this school. It's fun to use, but things can get out of hand quickly.

Illusion

Cost: ★★★★☆​

Now we're talking! Creating mirages is a ton of fun, especially if you have the artistic talent for it. Making myself look like a 50-year-old white dude has never been so entertaining. And I swear, mimicking the sound of Cal's dad calling him from the other room will never get old. It's a bit more draining than I'd like, and some folks are more perceptive than others, but it shares a lot of the advantages with Enchantment with less of the moral qualms.

Transmutation​

Cost: ★★★★☆​

I admit, I get this one the least. Maybe it's because it's pretty scientific in nature? But Ben gets the lowest grades in Chem and he uses this all the time, so whatever. The basic idea is you can turn one thing into another, and it's easier to do that when there's similarity between the two things — shape, material, density, proximity, all that jazz. So you can make yourself physically stronger by transferring the toughness of steel to your skin, or, with some effort, turn a steel lock into water. It doesn't seem to work on sentient creatures other than yourself, including animals (OK, so Gwen says animals aren't sentient, but I'm not about to doubt the apparent limits of an arcane force). It's also pretty draining — Evette was out like a light after causing that tree to regenerate. It's was a pretty nice tree, though.

La Ensenada, CA

ucsb-campus.jpg

With a population of about 100,000, La Ensenada is a somewhat sleepy town where it's not uncommon to see some folks spend their whole lives. Despite its well-maintained beaches, "something for everyone" zoning approach, and two colleges, few visitors come to the city, likely because it's somewhat out of the way. La Ensenada has a council-manager system of government, with five City Council members (including an appointed mayor who has no additional powers) and a city manager who carries out their policies. Spanish-speaking locals, of which there is a significant population, often cringe when other residents pronounce the town's name with a forced tilde.

Downtown La Ensenada​

The business center of the city, Downtown La Ensenada is the only area in the town that allows for high-rises, giving it a much more urban feel than the rest of the area. Many executives and companies are headquartered here, and high-density apartments are common.

The Village​

A booming commercial district close to the coast known for its thriving small businesses and family-owned restaurants, the Village district is the place to go for first dates and 20th anniversaries, handmade jewelry, and refurbished antiques.

The Hillside​

A largely suburban area mostly populated by upper-middle-class residents, the Hillside has a beautiful view of the Pacific Ocean and is a popular spot for sunset viewing.

La Ensenada High School / De Leon High School​

The city's two public high schools — La Ensenada is located downtown while De Leon is closer to the Hillside — have an intense rivalry, whether it comes to sports, academics, arts, or clubs. La Ensenada tends to score noticeably higher in the arts, thanks in large part to its music and theater programs, while De Leon's agriculture and robotics clubs have won some regional awards in the past.

California State University, Ensenada​

By far the smallest college in the state system, CSUE's academics are known to be somewhat lacking, though being publicly funded it's relatively very affordable. Many of the students there complain about the outdated facilities and lack of extracurriculars, but will happily throw down with anyone outside of the community who dares insult it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back