• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Multiple Settings Magi Moderni — An urban fantasy RP

OOC
Here
Characters
Here
Lore
Here

kaito9049

Perpetually Cold
From a Friend (click to open)
\\ Code by Ambiloquous

Something's coming.

It's dangerous to send information this way, so I'd prefer to explain everything in person. We're meeting tomorrow at 9 p.m. at the address below.

By now I'm sure you've noticed that you're a bit off. A couple of degrees tilted away from reality — or toward another one. Maybe you can predict events moments before they occur. Or maybe the temperature drops whenever you're around. I don't know the details, I'll be honest. But I know you're like me. A magician, a sorcerer — whatever you want to call it.

About four years ago, this town was almost destroyed by a monster I still don't really understand, a type of vampiric beast that absorbs arcane energy. My friends and I thought we stopped it. Turns out, we just put it to sleep for a while.

Now, it's waking up. And I'm the only one left. That's why I need your help. Because when it wakes up, it'll be hungry for magical energy. It'll come after me.

And it'll come after you.

RP Status: Accepting!
Mages (3-6):
- kaito9049 kaito9049 (TBD)
Arcana (0-2):
- None yet!

Hi all!

I haven't run an RP in a very long while, but I've been chewing on this idea for months, so I figured I'd give it a shot!

Here's the premise: You're a resident of a mid-sized town in sunny California who has recently discovered that they have arcane abilities. You have little time to come to terms with your power, however, as you're soon confronted with another reality: the town, La Ensenada, also happens to be a popular spot for "Arcana" — magical beings such as vampires, spirits, fae, merfolk and the like. Some are friendly; others aren't. Your job, as you're soon told, is to deal with the unfriendly ones. Or you might be one of the more amicable ones who have joined this small group on their adventures while trying to hide your identity from the rest of the city. Why deal with the mess? Well, it turns out that there's an extremely powerful Arcana on its way that has the ability to siphon magic energy from others, usually killing them in the process. These smaller fights and encounters will allow you to hone your abilities and your camaraderie with your peers. Hopefully, it'll be enough.

Guidelines:
  • This RP will be somewhat episodic. The group will deal with "monster-of-the-week"-type issues for the first few as they gather more information about the "Big Bad." It's assumed that your characters will gradually become more powerful between chapters. I'll try to clearly delineate where each chapter begins and ends, but since RPs tend to be very fluid, the lengths of each will vary.
  • As a mage, you will choose two schools of magic — one greater and one lesser. We'll be roughly basing these schools off of 5e D&D's system, but just for categorization — don't worry about knowing the spells or anything like that. Each school will have different "costs" to reflect how taxing it is to cast a full spell of that kind. More information is in the Lore tab.
  • I've found that RPs tend to flourish best where there are 4-6 active players, so I'll aim to have about that many here (including myself), adjusting if needed. Since the focus of the story will be on the actions of the mages, only one or two of those, at most, will be Arcana. I'll also be playing an NPC that'll act as something of a guide to help give exposition from time to time, but they won't be around all the time (for reasons that will become fairly obvious).
  • Please please please stay in communication. I totally get that things get busy — I've got a full-time job myself, and many folks have school all day. Please post a minimum of once per week, but if you need to take a break (or even step away from the RP completely), please message me. As much as I love it, RPing doesn't play a big enough role in my life to get mad at strangers over, so don't worry at all about it being an awkward conversation! (Conversely, please treat each other well so I don't have to initiate an awkward conversation)
  • There's no set posting order, but try to let at least two other people post before you make another one. Regarding posting minimums, try to aim for at least a full paragraph per post, even if just a few sentences — definitely no one-liners, please.
  • When you're making characters, please try not to make them OP. Limits always tend to be more fun than strengths. Your character is meant to be in over their head at this stage.
Let me know if you have any questions or suggestions, and thanks for reading!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back