• If your recruitment thread involves completely going off site with your partner(s) then it belongs in the Off-Site Ad Area.
  • This area of the site is governed by the official Recruitment rules. Whether you are looking for players or looking for a roleplay, we recommend you read them and familiarize your self with them. Read the Recruitment Rules Here.

Fantasy Mages To Muskets

Mage or Soldier?

• MAGIC MISSILE!

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I like me guns *pew pew*

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

The Rogue Bro

The average magical guy
Mages to Muskets

Wow, my tired eyes didn't realize how much red on black hurts. Sorry 'bout that. Have a

Muskets to Mages

Bit o' Background

Magic has been banned in every province of Espan for a good thousand years or so. And for each of those thousand years, attempts to exterminate the Mage Commonwealth have been made. Every leader of Espan has vowed to destroy everyone of magical decent, only to pass the vow to their next next of kin on their death bed. And for a good 950 years, little progress was made. Their was no good way to kill one mage without losing a hundred, if not hundreds, men. But then, came the invention of the musket.

Faster than an incantation and lacking in need for close proximity, the musket was a revolution in terms of slaughter. More mages have been killed in the last 100years then the preceding 900 combined. Granted, the number is only in the double digits, but it's still quite the improvement. All because of a simple mix of fireworks and steel. Funny how something used for celebration is taken by the military for use in "cleansing the world", but I digress. Did I say "All because of..."? Because that's kind of a lie. Another thing aiding in the crusade is the (insane) King Lowarck Illkre the first.

The King

Ever since Lowarck was crowned supreme ruler of Espan, military efficiency has gone through the roof. It's true that the mission of every king is to rid the world of the Mage folk, but this man sees it as his duty, not brought upon him by becoming king. For reasons unknown, his capacity for hatred towards the ones gifted with magic is nearly limitless. Once upon a time, he caught wind of a mage infiltrating his castle. Want to guess what he did? He executed everybody. His wife, his royal cabinet, his servants his personal concubine, everybody. Know what he did next? He leveled the castle. A masterwork of stone, glass, and wood, gone. Want to guess the publics reaction? He was applauded for it. For literally committing mass murder. But the real kicker is this: There wasn't a mage in his castle.

The Military.

Most, if not all, Espan citizens, have served in the military. Irregardless of gender and age, you've probably charged against the mages once or twice. The exception being you were the child of someone with a craft deemed to exempt service (Blacksmith, artisan, the occasional musician.) And most kids hope to have a parent like that. You see, at age 18 , any and all able bodies were taken into training. Training consisted of basic hand to hand combat, simple fencing stances, and shooting. Most soldiers are deployed before the time they reach age 20 and retire before they reach 25, with the reason being magic. It's like pitting an unarmed man against another who has the ability to control grenades. (And those are just the pyromancers!) What I'm saying is it's damn near impossible. But a few lucky shots have been made, and God, do those help morale.

The Commonwealth

The Mage Commonwealth (otherwise known as the Union Of Arcana) could honestly care less about the war pitted against the. It's barely even a war, considering the Commonwealth hasn't ever made an offensive play against Espan. Aside from that, The Commonwealth isn't I the best state. The various circles of magic are clashing with each other for the title of Grand Magister. And honestly? The whole ordeal is rather petty. Seeing the Seers and Hydromancers is hilarious, if not a bit sad. "We FORSEE you WASHED UP Hydromancers losing!" "Yeah? Then where's your PROPHECY? You couldn't SEE the future if it was right in front of you! AND IT IS!"

Don't forget to scroll to the bottom to read some of my comments.

Bit o' Background

Magic has been banned in every province of Espan for a good thousand years or so. And for each of those thousand years, attempts to exterminate the Mage Commonwealth have been made. Every leader of Espan has vowed to destroy everyone of magical decent, only to pass the vow to their next next of kin on their death bed. And for a good 950 years, little progress was made. Their was no good way to kill one mage without losing a hundred, if not hundreds, men. But then, came the invention of the musket.

Faster than an incantation and lacking in need for close proximity, the musket was a revolution in terms of slaughter. More mages have been killed in the last 100years then the preceding 900 combined. Granted, the number is only in the double digits, but it's still quite the improvement. All because of a simple mix of fireworks and steel. Funny how something used for celebration is taken by the military for use in "cleansing the world", but I digress. Did I say "All because of..."? Because that's kind of a lie. Another thing aiding in the crusade is the (minorly nsane) King Lowarck Illkre The First.

The King

Ever since Lowarck was crowned supreme ruler of Espan, military efficiency has gone through the roof. It's true that the mission of every king is to rid the world of the Mage folk, but this man sees it as his duty, not brought upon him by becoming king. For reasons unknown, his capacity for hatred towards the ones gifted with magic is nearly limitless. Once upon a time, he caught wind of a mage infiltrating his castle. Want to guess what he did? He executed everybody. His wife, his royal cabinet, his servants his personal concubine, everybody. Know what he did next? He leveled the castle. A masterwork of stone, glass, and wood, gone. Want to guess the publics reaction? He was applauded for it. For literally committing mass murder. But the real kicker is this: There wasn't a mage in his castle.

The Military

Most, if not all, Espan citizens, have served in the military. Irregardless of gender and age, you've probably charged against the mages once or twice. The exception being you were the child of someone with a craft deemed to exempt service (Blacksmith, artisan, the occasional musician.) And most kids hope to have a parent like that. You see, at age 18 , any and all able bodies were taken into training. Training consisted of basic hand to hand combat, simple fencing stances, and shooting. Most soldiers are deployed before the time they reach age 20 and retire before they reach 25, with the reason being magic. It's like pitting an unarmed man against another who has the ability to control grenades. (And those are just the pyromancers!) What I'm saying is it's damn near impossible. But a few lucky shots have been made, and God, do those help morale.

The Commonwealth

The Mage Commonwealth (also known as the Union Of Arcana) could honestly care less about the war pitted against the. It's barely even a war, considering the Commonwealth hasn't ever made an offensive play against Espan. Aside from that, The Commonwealth isn't I the best state. The various circles of magic are clashing with each other for the title of Grand Magister. And honestly? The whole ordeal is rather petty. Seeing the Seers and Hydromancers is hilarious, if not a bit sad. "We FORSEE you WASHED UP Hydromancers losing!" "Yeah? Then where's your PROPHECY? You couldn't SEE the future if it was right in front of you! AND IT IS!"

Hey all, I'm back for the whateverith time. Hope you enjoyed my little interest check of interest here. I've been trying to get a good concept written, but haven't quite had the time. But now I do, and it's been done. If you have any questions, or just want to pop in and say your in, feel free to do so! Cya!

Can we give me a slow clap? I accidentally posted the thread in the actual fantasy thread. Good job me. So have a link: Detailed - Mages To Muskets

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey, yo, you got space? Case I got face.

I was strapped for a rhyming word, didn't turn out to well. Either way I'm interested.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back