• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Realistic or Modern Mae Brewer: The Dreamer Escapes

Stickdom

I’m a fixer. I fix broken things. It’s what I do.
The Morning After...
Exhausted, you enter into the dressing room and nearly collapse onto one of the small sofas that fill the corners of the room. It is barely noon, but you have been on your feet since dawn, and the hours ahead only promise more activity. It is the week of rehearsals and anticipation, your ballet company is performing Swan Lake at the prestigious Joffrey Ballet in downtown Chicago. It is quite an honour even with your level of expertise, and despite having been preparing for your entire life to showcase your grace and talent on stage, you still feel the tiniest flutterings of butterflies in your stomach. That could mostly be the diet your instructors have forced upon the corps, little-to-nothing for breakfast, a meal fit for one of the Nutcracker's mice at midday, and hardly a banquet for dinner. Granted, they are far from starving you, all of the foods provided are high in protein and nutrients. Lots of fresh fruits and eggs, the occasional chicken breast or baked salmon fillet topped with spices and oils to your taste, and no end of broccoli and spinach. You just wish there was more... well, more. And the same handful of foods day in and out really gets stale, no matter how you cook it. Some of the other ladies have running bets on who will break down first and order a whole pizza after the performance is over, and you're starting to wish you put money on yourself. The only thing you can look forward to is the abundance of coffee you are allowed to drink, and the rare treat of the rich dark chocolate bars the higher dancers seem to have stashed in every locker, corner, and ballet shoe.

Grace comes skittering across the room and practically slides onto the edge of the couch where you were peacefully resting, and you know by the gleam in her eye she is either about to unload the latest gossip or be the bearer of bad news, usually about a mutual rival you both share. "Oh Mae, you should have seen it! Karen told me that..." Definitely gossip, Karen was the all-seeing, all-saying hub of the latest dirt, scoops, and dirty secrets of the entire company, though her outrageous stories typically held at least the silver lining of a true story under all her unwanted snooping. "She said that Evan and Rheanna were backstage the other day, working on their pas de deux together, you know the one they have to do on the bridge scene? Anyway, they saw something from behind one of the curtains and went to go check it out... and they saw Ms. DuBois and Mr. Karlov dancing! Together!" This was news to you, Ms. DuBois was the head of your choreography, the one who always made your life miserable with seemingly endless combinations and impossible rotations across the floor, known for being a strict and disciplined woman. Mr. Karlov, on the other hand, was the master of the waltzes, a stickler for "time-honoured tradition" and "precision movement", a noted perfectionist and something of a grouchy old man. These two teachers had always seemed to be at each others throats, arguing over differences in style and taste at every possible opportunity, for them to be dancing together was something of an act of high treason against their nature. that is, if it was true. Coming from Grace who had heard it second- or third-hand from the studio's most notorious busybody, it was anyone's guess whether it was true or fantasy.

Grace looks at you expectantly, patting your head and caressing your cheek in a sisterly manner. "Hey kid, are you doing alright? You look a little pale. Don't tell me Juilliard's finest is worn out after our little warmup this morning." She smiles kindly, she knows that she is just as tired as you are, having run through the entire show twice now since the sun came up, with only a short break in between each piece for minute corrections and and bellowing directions. Your head does feel just a little light, you wonder if you are just dizzy from all of the turns you had to do, or maybe you stayed out too late last night, especially with the strange experience at that fortune teller's shop. That might be it, a combination of staying up late on your night off and the thick smoke of the crazy woman's room, you gave yourself a headache. All for a cheap parlor trick and a swindle of your hard-earned payment.

Still, you can feel the thin edge of the card gently scraping against your waist where you stuck it under the lining of your leotard. You don't remember when or why you put it there this morning, but it somehow feels like you should keep it close. Like it's important somehow.

Mae Brewer, The Fleeing Dreamer Mae inhaled, closing her eyes as Grace babbled. Lack of sleep and an intense workout was defiantly doing her no favors, and her... experience from the night before did not help in the slightest. "The Fleeing Dreamer? What does that even mean? I suppose I shouldn't put too much stock in a fortune tellers words, who knows how trust worthy people like that are." She thought letting her mind wander for a moment, the feeling of Grace's hand on her head and the feel of the Tarot card digging into her waist jolting her back to reality. Grace was looking at her, as if she had said something mind shattering. Mae's shifted through her thoughts, trying to recall whatever gossip Grace had brought with her that day but came up blank. It was hard for Mae to care much about silly drama in the dance studio these days.

She offered up a tired smile, trying in vain to not let the depression show "I am doing alright. Just... Tired is all. Was out a tad later than I wanted to be last night." Mae gave a shot at a casual laugh, failing as it came out weak, the physical and emotional exhaustion evident in the sad sound. "First time in a while actually. Last time I was waiting..." She trailed off, thinking of the last time she had stayed up that late. The night Harvey and her mother died. Her smile fading, she stared off into space, remembering two of the people she loved most in the world.

Grace hurries to put her arm around your shoulder, giving the closest one a cheering series of pats. "It's okay, MaeMae, you don't have to talk about it, I remember." A quick squeeze about your shoulders is the best she can manage for a sidehug at this position, but she gives you a wide smile and puts on her best comforting voice. "It's only Monday, and Mondays always get ya down, so keep your chin up and it's all gonna be alright." she flashes a bright grin, as if she just had the best idea. "Hey! Some of the others were planning on throwing a little party after the final performance on Friday, going out and getting some real dinner, maybe a bottle of wine or two. Want to come? I know it might not seem like much to you, Ms. I'm The Best Dancer Ever Born," she says this teasingly, scrunching her face up to give her best impression of Mrs. DuBois, who always criticizes you for seemingly showing up the rest of the group, though secretly it is complimentary of your skill and ability, even at your older age, "but I figured I'd invite you to come along, hang out, like old times. Since Harv..." she stops and catches herself, "since the accident, it seems like we haven't been as close as we used to be. I know I can't replace your mom, but I'm still your sister, right? Even if I'm the wrong colour?" She laughs a little nostalgically, referencing an old joke you used to have as kids, where a very young Grace had once asked your parents if she couldn't be your sister because she was the wrong colour, her pale white skin next to your rich earthy body made absolutely no difference to your childish selves.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back