• If your recruitment thread involves completely going off site with your partner(s) then it belongs in the Off-Site Ad Area.
  • This area of the site is governed by the official Recruitment rules. Whether you are looking for players or looking for a roleplay, we recommend you read them and familiarize your self with them. Read the Recruitment Rules Here.

Fandom Made in Abyss AU RP!

Phadia

Tomato Goddess
Hey everyone! So I just recently watched Made in Abyss, and I'm totally in love! I would like to create a RP with 2 or 3 other people at most, based off of MiA.
In this RP, we will create characters to add to the world of MiA, descending into the Abyss for reasons of our own choosing. This will be a heavy world-building RP, as we will all be able to contribute to the plants and wildlife inhabiting the Abyss and threatening our characters.
That being said, I'm also okay if people would like to add animals and plants from the show or the manga (I've read up to chapter 49 of the manga, but only started at 23 after the anime ended). If you want to add stuff from the show, however, please post a detailed description of the thing you're adding, as some people may not be familiar with all the terminology used in the show or manga.
I would also mention that I think we should stick solely to OC's for the RP, but if you'd like to add a character into the RP (such as Bondrewd <3) I'm open to discussion about that.
There's also the potential to add our own layers to the Abyss, instead of just using the ones in the manga. Or we could add our own layers in addition. There's really a lot of potential, and I think the world of MiA really lends itself well to form a decent RP.
If you'd like to participate, please tell me your favorite character from the show (or manga) and why in the comments below. :)

Nanachi, fo sho. God dang was that an ending for season 1 of the anime. I've not read the manga any, though.

Consider me interested.

Nanachi, fo sho. God dang was that an ending for season 1 of the anime. I've not read the manga any, though.

Consider me interested.
Thanks for taking the time to actually read the whole post. ^^
Nanachi is awesome! If we're talking solely about the anime, Riko is probably my favorite. With her endless optimism and fearless attitude, she just brings such an energy to the show.
Episode 10 was just heart-wrenching. Though, the episode that legit made me cry was the one where they
kill Mitty.
Since you've only watched the anime, we can simply stick to anime terms and characters. I won't spoil anything. ^^

Phadia Phadia Thanks for not spoiling anything for me. Hopefully you didn't spoil something for someone else.

So, how did you plan on doing this? Is this basically going to be strait up AU with no canon characters? Or like, are we going to be OC characters having our own adventure at a different time/at the same time as Riko and Reg? Also, you already got a character in mind you wanted to play?

I have one in mind already but it's a far cry from what I usually play so I'm weary about playing him as my main.

Last edited:
ithinkcat ithinkcat

I'm thinking it should be an AU set at a time sometime before Riko and Reg make their decent. Then, we have the option to possibly meet them and play as them, while still using our OC's.
And yes, I have the bare bones for a character in my head- I need to flesh it out a little bit.

Is there another character you could use as your main, then have him as a side? Just a suggestion, since you're a bit wary of having him as the main.

Phadia Phadia
So, I guess I'll just tell the character ideas I'm floating in my head. You can tell me how much you like each one and, more importantly, which has a better hook or reason to go down into the abyss.

First, the guy I mentioned earlier. So the first guy is a older man, about in his 50s. Is fat, but energetic and quick (not unrealistically though). He's not a delver, but is the greatest inventor of gadgets and gidgets to make the journey for delvers safer (self-proclaimed). In actuality, most of his inventions are duds or only useful in very rare circumstances which make carrying that extra weight unjustifiable. He's abundantly friendly towards most people, especially kids who he enjoys wowing with simple toys and contraptions he makes for them. He acts a little like a big kid himself having never really developed much of the cynicism one does further into their adult life, is never afraid of failure (hence why so many of his inventions are failures), is easily excitable, and still views the world with a sense of wonder. Recently he's been diagnosed with a terminal illness. Instead of rotting away up top, he's decided to go on an adventure to search for an artifact that can cure his illness down in the abyss, or at least die on his own terms kicking and screaming.

The next is a younger girl, probably about 16. She's very serious and pessimistic. For her hook I think it would be cool if she had a younger sister/brother. Both of them are orphans, but more street rats down in the south district of Orth instead of at the Belchero Orphanage. Kind of like Nat was. Instead of becoming red whistles, they sneak into the Abyss as illegal delvers to scrounge for anything they can trade back up top to not starve and whatnot. Maybe they find their own, overlooked, special/powerful artifact while searching the 1 level and that kicks off a crazy adventure for them, or maybe gets them involved in all sorts of trouble. Maybe others illegal delvers find out and start trying to hunt them down to steal it so they have to flee deeper into the Abyss to survive. (Oh, and you might be able to answer this, but the anime is fairly unclear on the level of technology the world has. Do things like black powder guns exist?)

For the third I only have the very basics. Girl joins the Delvers as a red whistle, but maybe not an orphan like Riko. From there things are pretty straight forward where she slowly gets better at the job (maybe do time skips for progression) and gets wrapped up in the darker side of the Delvers Guild.

So, I haven't seen anyone else respond to this. You still want to do this as like a 1x1? Maybe just let someone join in later if they can find a good way to insert their character.

I admit I've also only completed the anime, but I'm still more than interested in joining in.

Last edited:
ithinkcat ithinkcat
Sorry it took me a few days to reply to this! Holidays and whatnot.

Well! In answer to your post, I like both the first and second ideas a lot. The first one seems very developed and sounds like he would go well with my character concept (a girl around 12).
On the flip side, it would also be enjoyable to play your second character's sister. I had planned for my character to grow up in the slums anyway, so that also fits really well.

I don't know about powder guns (I don't believe they were discussed in the manga? Though, there is another weapon that I will put in the spoiler. It's a weapon similar to a real life weapon
it's basically a blow dart/throwing knife that contains various layers' Curses.
So I doubt it would be a stretch to have powder guns. Besides, it's our RP. We can add what we like! I'm okay with adding powder guns, so if that's what you want, I say go for it!

For my character, I was planning on having her be mildly disfigured. I haven't fully decided on the disfigurement yet, but it will likely be a facial deformity or a problem with her leg. The people in Orth fear her, saying she's been Marked by the Abyss. They associate her with the Curse, and, as such, she's an outcast living in the slums. She's motivated to go down to the Abyss, partially to get away from the people in Orth, but also because she believes she can find a relic to fix her deformity at the bottom. And if she dies trying? It's better than the life she currently lives. However, she's not particularly strong, so she's actively seeking someone to go down with.

And, guess what? We have a new onlooker! Welcome, GrieveWriter GrieveWriter (I love your username, btw!). We were just discussing some basic character ideas. Feel free to chime in with ideas of your own!

Now that we have two people interested, I will go ahead and make a placeholder thread as well as a character sheet.

Don't worry about taking too long. I'm patient and like slower paced rps. It's makes it less of a chore and more something I can do when I want to do it, but not every dang night. I can play video games or hang out with friends on evenings and not feel like I'm slowing down everyone else in the rp.

Obviously I like the first two most, also. Hence why they have more thought put into them. If we can have basic firearms then I get to use Kino as the FC for the older sister idea. Still don't have a good FC for the first guy, though.

I really like the idea for your character and I can see how both character ideas I have could work really well with. I can't decide.

GrieveWriter GrieveWriter Maybe your idea for a character can help me choose which one I decide to go with.

ithinkcat ithinkcat Phadia Phadia

Well, I hadn't given too much thought to character since I usually wait until after everyone's decided, but I suppose the first thing which could jump out at me would be some type of young adrenaline junky who views the abyss as the ultimate challenge and therefore has a near-maddened obsession with conquering it. Age and gender are variable, personality wise I'm thinking a spitfire wild child who seems far less competent than they actually are.

Alternatively I could also work with a law worker whose tracking a wild criminal who may have saught escape from various misdeeds in abyss. Perhaps an officer or detective who doesn't understand just how little their years of experience above ground will help down below.

Then again, I'm often pretty good at playing various different types of characters, so if there's any characters that either of you think would work better in your group dynamic I'm fairly confident I could play any recommendations you might have.

GrieveWriter GrieveWriter

I like second one quite a bit. If that's what you went for I would pick the older sister option for mine. I think a couple of street rats, one of which has commited a fair number of petty crimes herself, would be a good dynamic with someone who sees themselves as the shining beacon of law despite being in a land where there is no law. At least not in the same way as there is up top.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back