• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Fantasy Lucid -- OOC

Speaking as an artist its really important to be as detailed as you can before the start. It makes the process really easy on you and the artist too ^^, I'd rather have pages of detail and ref pics before starting rather than have my commissioner not be satisfied with what I make, its also good to ask to evaluate the sketchwork before the colour begins. The sketch often takes the least amount of time and small things can be changed easily before the artist puts too much time in.
She already gives me the sketches to evaluate in advance. My problem is I think I already have all the details, but then I think of new details way too late.

I usually get very shy with commissioning and I usually end up fixing things myself in PS which are not glaring problems but are not how I imagined... >.>

She already gives me the sketches to evaluate in advance. My problem is I think I already have all the details, but then I think of new details way too late.
That happens to me too. I'll be in the middle of shading and I want to change something in the base sketch ^^'

That happens to me too. I'll be in the middle of shading and I want to change something in the base sketch ^^'
It's even worse for me, though. I often can't think of these other details I'd prefer because she does certain details while also coloring the piece. Thus, I end up thinking of the details after she's already done the coloring layers! D:

That's a really long title. XD I'm too busy and such that I shouldn't try and join any other RPs atm.

Saaay, how many of you are handy with building?
If say, this country doesn't believe in screens on windows and there was absolutely no way for me to achieve a screen on a window beyond making the framed screen myself, how would one go about attaching the pieces of wood at the corners to make said frame? Is there a real way, or is my imagination the limit?

If say, this country doesn't believe in screens on windows and there was absolutely no way for me to achieve a screen on a window beyond making the framed screen myself, how would one go about attaching the pieces of wood at the corners to make said frame? Is there a real way, or is my imagination the limit?
I wish I could help, but I'm pretty useless when it comes to DIY stuff.

I had to google what a screen on a window was because I was having a brain fart moment... I feel so stupid...

There do seem to be some tutorials that teach you how to make it yourself ?
Otherwise try importing from outside of the country.....

wait i am probably missing something and am sounding even more stupid...
forgive me if i am >.>

I had to google what a screen on a window was because I was having a brain fart moment... I feel so stupid...

There do seem to be some tutorials that teach you how to make it yourself ?
Otherwise try importing from outside of the country.....

wait i am probably missing something and am sounding even more stupid...
forgive me if i am >.>
Nope, you got it. I've considered importing but the dimensions of my windows are so strange I think I wouldn't have much luck. The problem is our office gets flooded with thousands of tiny insects at night when its hot because the windows have no screens, now in Canada this wouldn't happen because, well, we believe that bugs should stay outside your house mostly. That and I am just waiting for a bat or bird to fly in. We've already had some mother bird park her baby on the window ledge for the night. I couldn't go into that room all night because I was afraid to spook the baby and have it eaten by a cat on the ground. Also we're not exactly on the ground floor, we're pretty high up and we have 2 kittens, screens on windows now that its getting hot is a must.

SilverFlight SilverFlight

Oh i see...

is there anyway to maybe contact a foreign company that does make screens for things? perhaps you could try and get a custom screen for the window made? There would be problems with scouting out a reliable company though and the fee for custom made things are usually significantly higher...

SilverFlight SilverFlight

Oh i see...

is there anyway to maybe contact a foreign company that does make screens for things? perhaps you could try and get a custom screen for the window made? There would be problems with scouting out a reliable company though and the fee for custom made things are usually significantly higher...
I am also poor ^^ But I have enough know-how to make the frames solid, I just need to teach myself how to make a miter joint.

I wish you good luck then. Are you all set with everything else like the mesh-thing?
Us working at bio labs has its benefits, we have a heavy duty tight mesh screen. It won't tear under little claws. ^^ I also dabbled in fine arts and know how to stretch the material properly over the frame and fix it so it'll hold fast. The frame will be the only bit I'm learning.

Us working at bio labs has its benefits, we have a heavy duty tight mesh screen. It won't tear under little claws. ^^ I also dabbled in fine arts and know how to stretch the material properly over the frame and fix it so it'll hold fast. The frame will be the only bit I'm learning.
Do you have any colleagues who might know their way around building stuff lol?

Do you have any colleagues who might know their way around building stuff lol?
If I am very lucky, I can take the pieces into the workshop attached to the honey house at work and get someone to help, but the wood isn't too expensive, I'll try it myself first. I have an ok idea (google is a life-saver), but they also have a lot more equipment, might even have some corner clamps which would make things infinitely easier, might take them anyway just to use the tools.

Speaking of arts and crafts, I finally found my spear for my lancer Cosplay! (Fate stay night ultimate bladeworks) it's been missing for like a year.

I would say rather than mitring the corners, you'd probably get a stronger joint by creating a tongue and groove. I've attached a couple of pics but they're not great quality. Just replace the panel with the mesh.

cabinet door.jpg Guide-How-To-Build-Kitchen-Cabinet-Doors.jpg

You could probably buy the timber ready made, or router the leading edge of one timber, and router a recess into the next piece, and fill the groove with wood glue and slot them together.

I would say rather than mitring the corners, you'd probably get a stronger joint by creating a tongue and groove. I've attached a couple of pics but they're not great quality. Just replace the panel with the mesh.

View attachment 315726 View attachment 315727

You could probably buy the timber ready made, or router the leading edge of one timber, and router a recess into the next piece, and fill the groove with wood glue and slot them together.
Oooh those look amazing. The screen would have to be a wrap-around stretch because it needs to hold a bit of weight if the little monsters lean on it. I'd love to do this, but I'd likely need precision tools that I just don't have access to. Getting the pieces cut is a nightmare in this country, they just don't believe in it, none of the hardware stores will do anything custom, at least not for me. Its a relatively small frame and it will be braced against a full metal window frame. It also needs to slide in and out as I one can't physically close the window with the frame insert, they're just not built for frames. Thanks for the advice. ^^

Ok, how about making like a sandwich construction. Three pieces of timber, the mesh wrapped around the central piece and another piece either side for stability. No intricate cuts required but it's a bit more wasteful in materials.

I would then alternate the corners to recreate that tongue/groove effect. Not sure if you're more familiar with imperial or measurements. I'll work with metric but can convert. Since you're going to thicken up with layers I'd use reasonably thin stripwood, maybe 8mm or 10mm, depends on if you have any maximum thickness your window frame can accommodate. I'd go for maybe 20-30mm wide, any more than that and it'll start to add up in weight.

Lets say the window you want to frame is 1m wide by 2m tall. You're going to need 6 lengths of each, less the 20-30mm widths since we're going to overlap the corners.

Assemble your 3 pieces per side, but offset the middle strip by the same width of the wood so that you create a tongue and one end and a groove on the other. Then when you have your 4 sides, slot the tongues into the grooves, glue and pin. Ta-da!

Ok, how about making like a sandwich construction. Three pieces of timber, the mesh wrapped around the central piece and another piece either side for stability. No intricate cuts required but it's a bit more wasteful in materials.

I would then alternate the corners to recreate that tongue/groove effect. Not sure if you're more familiar with imperial or measurements. I'll work with metric but can convert. Since you're going to thicken up with layers I'd use reasonably thin stripwood, maybe 8mm or 10mm, depends on if you have any maximum thickness your window frame can accommodate. I'd go for maybe 20-30mm wide, any more than that and it'll start to add up in weight.

Lets say the window you want to frame is 1m wide by 2m tall. You're going to need 6 lengths of each, less the 20-30mm widths since we're going to overlap the corners.

Assemble your 3 pieces per side, but offset the middle strip by the same width of the wood so that you create a tongue and one end and a groove on the other. Then when you have your 4 sides, slot the tongues into the grooves, glue and pin. Ta-da!

Hmm, That'd triple the price...might be a bit overboard.I do like the idea of doubling the frame though, making that sandwich and perhaps using dowels right the way through both, glued in. The mesh I'd had in mind to stretch like a canvas frame, but the extra frame would give it more stability. Let's see how this goes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back