• If your recruitment thread involves completely going off site with your partner(s) then it belongs in the Off-Site Ad Area.
  • This area of the site is governed by the official Recruitment rules. Whether you are looking for players or looking for a roleplay, we recommend you read them and familiarize your self with them. Read the Recruitment Rules Here.

Realistic or Modern Low-Fantasy Gang RP(Looking for GM/players)

jadafun

Faerie Princess
I’ve had a very specific craving for a gang roleplay with low fantasy elements. When I say low, I mean mainly just magic and potions, no fantasy races beyond humans who can use magic, maybe in the form of sorcerers, and those who can’t. As for the gang aspect, I’m looking less for an organized mafia with a godfather, and more like a ragtag group of thieves, thugs, con-men/women, ect. Basically just a group of misfits trying to make a name for themselves in an unforgiving city.

The reason I’m looking for someone else to GM it is just because I’m not a very reliable GM, and would rather play a character in the world than being responsible for running it and it’s NPCs. The story around the gang can be anything the GM wants, but I'd suggest something like a power struggle with a bigger gang of more renown, something for the gang to strive to take down while they work themselves up.

I wouldn't normally drop in here, BUT I happen to have an extensive setting and notes for an RP exactly like this - albeit the characters are assumed to have minor magical mutations - and I am a career GM.

The one caveat is I prefer using dice systems, but I am also patient and accommodating in helping people learn to use them and despite what you might expect, I focus on the story first and foremost.
I might be persuaded to strip the rules down to a handful of numbers just to contain any overpowering intincts and establish a comprehensible competence scale.

It sounds interesting. I have a bit of experience with dice systems, as long as it isn't too complex. I'd like to take a look at it.

We'll see if anyone else is onboard and how they feel before I monopolize your thread, but here's the pitch:

They say that when you’re tired of Illim, you’re tired of life. The proud nobles call it Jewel of the South, but for a lot of others it's the Great Midden. You can buy anything from anywhere in the known world and the locals can throw in a thousand ways to die, on the house. You live the most disreputable slum of the city; the Strack, a shanty grown up around ancient ruins of a bygone empire where once scholars from across the land came to study the mysterious past, and now only the dispossessed and magically tainted dwell.
For you, the odd bit of theft, kidnapping, or murder has been the only way to make a living. No one will hire mutants for honest work, so in the end, all you have is each other and what you can take from the world that despises you.

And today the boss says you’re taking something big enough to scare the Crown.

The system is complex but it's easy to pick up and learn, easier to use. I have some example characters on file if it'd help.

Sounds like exactly what I'm looking for! What's the setting like technologically? Is it more "modern" or "historical"? Are there guns, and if there are, are they common or a rarity?

Late feudal, so not even crossbows really. They've just been invented though, and a people's revolt to overthrow the monarchy is is a potential plot thread.

I do have a setting which has guns and works for gangs, but it's more weird fantasy and focuses more on sky pirates.

Given it's weirder and needs more context, look here: Pirates of the Darkening Skies
Kontina is a great place for gang stuff and it'd be fun to see relative normies outwitting the higher power types, but I can't see people leaving some of this stuff on the table.

Yeah? That works then. Plenty of fun islands to be a gang on, plenty of character options.

But let's see if people are interested. If you find another GM and players who prefer not to use systems you can feel free to use my setting material.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back