• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Realistic or Modern Lover boy

EddieTeddie

1x1 RP between me and gingerwayne gingerwayne

Chat With Matt is one of the most popular podcasts out there. Though it's been through a lot of iterations (and cohosts), Matt Rouke has recently found newfound success interviewing internet personalities. With the rise of a certain gaming streamer, Matt sought out an interview. This is where we begin. But it's definitely not the end of the story. Once the episode comes out, fans of both parties can agree on one thing. These two idiots have chemistry. Will they quell fan rumors or fan the flames? End up married or with a friendship destroyed?

WHAT ARE YOU WILLING TO LOSE? YOU COVER YOUR WOUNDS, BUT UNDERNEATH THEM A MILLION VOICES IN YOUR HEAD THAT WHISPER, "STOP NOW". ANOTHER TWIST OF THE KNIFE, TURN THE SCREWS. IT'S ALL IN YOUR MIND AND IT'S FIGHTING YOU. ARM YOURSELF, A STORM IS COMING. WELL, KID. WHAT YOU GONNA DO NOW? IT'S YOUR REFLECTION LOOKING BACK TO PULL YOU DOWN. SO ARE YOU GONNA DIE TODAY OR MAKE IT OUT ALIVE? YOU GOTTA CONQUER THE MONSTER IN YOUR HEAD AND THEN YOU'LL FLY. FLY, PHOENIX, FLY. IT'S TIME FOR A NEW EMPIRE. GO BURY YOUR DEMONS THEN TEAR DOWN THE CEILING. PHOENIX, FLY.

• Full Name: Sean Christoff Barnes

Sexuality: Homosexual

Face Claim: Maxence Danet-Fauvel

Appearance: Sean is tall, standing at 1.80 m with a lean build. He's not super athletic, but keeps in shape. The biggest tattoo he has is a phoenix covering his right shoulder and going down along his arm, however he has smaller ones shattered around (a couple of them being the results of losing bets)

Known as: SCBarnes

"What's up ? I'm Sean, or SCBarnes, the one and only. Welcome to my channel! I'm a previous player for QCube Esports, blessing y'all with my skills. I play CS:GO, Valorant and Apex Legends regularly. Together with @LeeLive, @Ryanorbryan, @Hater and @Pirateking, we host @GameCollective"

Fan conspiracies:

>
    Rumored to have a secret relationship with Leana West aka @LeeLive. They both deny it.

> Not long ago, right after his fame peaked, old videos of Sean saying the wrong things live resurfaced. He has apologized, and has not had any "incidents" since.

> Used to date fellow streamer Angela aka @Angeliccc when he played professionally, but they had an ugly breakup and can still be found throwing spiteful comments at one another.

> There are rumors that Sean and Harry aka @Pirateking are faking their friendship on stream, but hating each other in real life.

> Theories about Sean's mother range from her being dead, to a super star to a murderer. He has never said a word about her and avoids all questions surrounding the topic.

..................................................GL HF

Sean

code by low fidelity.

Last edited:

filler

filler

filler

filler

• him.

i'd rather talk about you.

Arms Tonite

Mother Mother

character name

Matthew Daniel Rourke

nickname(s)

Matt, Matty, MDR

ethnicity

American

ethnicity

Irish

♡design by natasha., coded by uxie♡

Last edited:

Sean

@SCBarnes

Sean had had the day off from Twitch.
Of course, he was the one who decided how much time he wanted to dedicate to streaming and didn’t really have anyone telling him what to do. He did however have a schedule that he tried to follow as best as he could.
Sometimes his hand was in too much pain for him to play. Sometimes his own mind got the better of him. On days like that he would excuse himself to his fans and promise to do something special when he came back.

Today, it was neither his head nor his hand that stopped him from streaming, it was something new.

Being a popular streamer was more time consuming than he had expected before getting big. He had to control his social media, edit videos and do the actual stream. The little free time he had was spent in the gym, with his friends or with his family. Very rarely did he have time to sit down and consume other media. Every now and again he watched a series on Netflix or read a book. Podcasts were alien to him.

When Matt Rouke had contacted him, Sean had underestimated the fame of someone who simply interviewed other famous people. It turned out that Chat With Matt was wildly popular, and Sean was ashamed for not having ever heard about it.

Originally the plan had been to politely decline, but Sean did what he always did when he was uncertain; he talked to his sister. Thea turned out to be a big fan, claiming to have heard every episode ever posted.

“Oh my God Sean! You have to do it! For me please? You’re so lucky to be able to meet him in real life, he’s so handsome” She had said, almost screamed in excitement, and with that it was decided. Sean was going to be a guest on a podcast.

The Game Collective, Sean’s closest friends, thought it was hilarious. Bryan and Leana turned out to be regular listeners but couldn’t hide how funny they found the idea. Harry, being his normal self, had called it a fucking stupid waste of time. It had given Sean even more motivation to go.

“You’re just jealous that I'm more famous than you,” He had said before leaving their call. The days after Harry had been even more sour before. Even the fans had noticed the increased tension and the questions had poured in about their “friendship”.

Sean wondered how much Matt knew about him as he drove towards the studio where the episodes were recorded. He himself had tried to listen to a few episodes to prepare. Normally he had listened at night before going to bed and fallen asleep without hearing the actual interview. All he knew was that Matt Rouke had a pleasant voice, which didn't help his growing nerves.

Sean had let the host know beforehand, that he would not answer any questions about his family to respect their privacy. Mostly it had been to avoid questions about his mom, but he genuinely didn’t like involving his dad and his sister.

Getting out of his car, Sean took a deep breath of fresh air. He was nervous. It felt a bit more proper than chatting with people in a stream as he usually did. The closest he had ever been to something like this was when he was a pro and was asked to comment (on Twitch of course) the finished match.

He was let into the building and led through a bright hallway until they reached a door with ‘Chat with Matt’ engraved onto it. Sean thanked the person who had showed him the way before gently knocking on the door. He waited a couple seconds before gently opening it. He entered the studio carefully, looking around until he found the familiar face of Matt Rouke.

“Hey, I’m sorry for being a bit early, or-“Curiously he looked at his phone to see he was, in fact, not early. “On time?” Great start Sean.

“I’m Sean. Sean Barnes. Also known as SCBarnes. So yeah, thanks for having me,” He said awkwardly, holding out an arm to the Podcast host and hating how hard it was to be social offline.

code by ditto (head empty go bonk)

First Meeting
Matt Rourke
Host of Chat With Matt

Matt didn't watch Twitch streamers. He had...other (read: better) things to do with his time. But interviewing them was how he made his money. It was as easy as checking Twitter to see who was popular, catching a few hours of their content, and doing some research on them to see what people were interested in. Weirdly enough, the whole winging-it method he had going really worked for him, much to the disdain of his producers and manager and almost everyone else involved. On today's agenda was SCBarnes, AKA Sean Barnes. Ex-pro turned streamer after an injury. Fans liked him and the rest of his friend group when they played together. There were some rumors that he could ask about but no family questions. It should be an easy recording session. Joke around a bit, get serious for a couple of questions and then cut it together in the most entertaining way possible. Standard procedure. More often than not guests would tell him in advance certain topics to avoid, and Matt did for the most part. He would always discuss it before beginning to record, though. Anything that touchy was a great way to build trust between Matt and whoever quickly, and made it easier to frame the conversation and get to know their personality a little better before recording.That, too, worked nearly all the time. After so many years of running the show, he had plenty of tricks up his sleeve like this.

Matt glanced at his phone, feeling like it might be around the time they agreed to meet on. It was exactly. Matt smiled, and looked up at the door to the studio from where he sat in the oversized yellow swivel chair. The whole room was decorated like this, all swanky and bright. Just then, the door opened and Sean walked in, talking about being early. He wasn't, but that didn't bother Matt. It was surprising how many people showed up late.

"Hah all good." He stood up and went over to shake his hand. "I'm Matt. It's nice to meet you." He gestured for him to sit in the other yellow chair. "So before we get started I like to go over some things with the guests. First off, I know you said family was off limits, is there anything else? I'm willing to work with just about anything you throw at me, so don't hesitate."
| mood: excited | location: main st. studios |
º º code by ditto º º

Sean

@SCBarnes

Sean studied the studio he had just entered. It was ... unexpected. A lot fancier than he had imagined. And bright. The use of color made Sean feel embarrassed at his own apartment's bland interior of black, white and grey. The only thing even slightly colorful was his computer set up that lit up in neon colors (set to Orange as a default, it had somehow become “his” color.)

After taking off his jacket and hanging it up, he took a seat in the chair next to Matt, as instructed. Sean tried his best to sit back in the chair and relax, but his body was too used to sitting with a straight back that if felt wrong. In the end he settled for sitting as comfortably as he could with a straight back, hoping it didn't look as awkward to Matt as it felt for him.

It was strangely comforting how professional Matt was, and the concern for what could and couldn’t be asked was reassuring. Meeting eager fans or interviewers out on conventions, or similar events, was often overwhelming and involved all the uncomfortable questions. “I don’t think there’s anything else,” Sean gave as his answer, hesitating a bit before continuing. “I mean, since it’s not live it can always be edited if needed, right?”

There wasn’t any other topic than family that Sean felt was off limits, however if the whole ordeal with Angela came up, he was unsure if he could keep himself civil. Their breakup had been messy, and the gaming community knew. Fans had divided opinions on who they supported. Considering it was before Sean was a Streamer, he got the worst of it. He never got to explain his side of the story, while Angela cried on her streams and gained all the pity points. It was one of the main reasons he was still so bitter about it. Maybe this could be his chance? It would serve her right.

“So just avoid family and we’re good” Sean added before his phone buzzed in his pocket. Picking it up, he read the text from his sister and sighed.

"Is it okay if I take some pictures? Are you good with it being posted?” He asked. He was the one who dealt with his own social media, but Thea was definitely a big influence. Another message buzzed through, and this time Sean sighed louder. "My sister is wondering if you’re single, off the record of course” He explained the text with an apologetic smile and a shrug.

First Meeting
Matt Rourke
Host of Chat With Matt

Quite honestly, Matt didn't notice Sean's posture at all. He had interviewed both gamers and celebrities paranoid with being perfect enough that a stick straight back didn't even cross his mind. But other things did register more. He had this...thing about him that Matt picked up on. He couldn't really tell what it was, bt seeing him in person felt different than watching a stream. In a good way. Maybe he just thought he had a nice face or whatever.

"Right. I don't know what I would do if this was live," he joked. "And that's why there's bloopers at the end of the episodes, too." He opened up his laptop, pulling up the document he had with his notes on it. It was an older model, but that was hard to tell since it was almost completely covered in various stickers and decals of all different things. Sure, they were worn out too, but they could be seen well enough and the laptop worked well enough too. Plus it would be a bitch to transfer over all his files. He studied the notes for a moment before Sean spoke up again.

"Yeah, take all the pictures you want. I mean, maybe not the ugly corner with all the wires," he said with a glance over to said corner. "But the rest is fine. I'll take any free publicity you wanna give me." Another joke. He chuckled quietly. And then louder, at Sean's next comment. "Well on the record I am, of course, married to the lizard queen, controller of worlds, but off the record, yes. I'm single. But I don't really plan on changing that any time soon. I can say hi to her, though, if you want." It was almost perfect. Sean brought up family himself without Matt even having to prod. What a lucky coincidence.

As for the single comment, that had been completely true. After everything that had happened with Jeanne, he didn't plan on getting himself into another mess like that for as long as he could help it. And knowing that, he had a whole section of notes about Angela. Plenty of people had taken her side, but Matt knew what it felt like to be manipulated and blamed for things you didn't do. He was determined to see if there was another side of the story. That was part of the reason Sean had been so interesting in the first place. They seemed to have some things in common, even if it didn't seem like it on the outside.

"Do you wanna call or I can send a video or something? I don't mind at all." The weirdness of people wanting to meet him had worn off a long time ago. He knew he could make people happy, which was a good thing no matter how strange it felt to him. And if making a video for Sean's sister would build up that trust, that was exactly what he would do.
| mood: confident | location: main st. studios |
º º code by ditto º º

Last edited:

Sean

@SCBarnes

"Imagine the luxury of being able to edit your own content" Sean joked, silently wondering if it was Matt who did all the editing for the episodes. Surely enough he would be famous enough to hire an editor, or two? Or was he? Sean was once again reminded of how little he knew about podcasts as a media, and about the guy that was going to interview him. "To be fair, other than the constant fear of saying the wrong thing, I prefer being live. It feels more personal and I get to experience whatever I'm doing with the viewers," He continued before he lost all focus on the conversation they were having, his eyes watching as Matt pulled up a... colorful? personalized?... laptop. The brand of the computer was well hidden, but it was visibly worn with age. Sean wondered if it could play any games before it's long life as a loyal laptop ended by overheating.

A part of him was curious to see what Matt had on that computer. Was it notes? And if so, what kind of notes had the podcast star written about him? Sean assumed there was quite a bit to find. Despite only recently achieving fame, he had spent most of his life online, and he was certain most of it was recorded in one way or another.

With the approval of the host, Sean got up and snapped some quick photos around the studio. While avoiding the wire corner, he did his best not to cringe over the way it had been organized. Sean was not necessarily a clean freak, but he had a very specific way he liked seeing electronics. He couldn't stand a dusty keyboard, a cluttered desk or unorganized wires. Of course, he had seen a lot worse, quite frequently too, but it still made him want to unplug all the cables and make it more systematic.

Sean chuckled at Matt's reply to the dating question, while settling back into his assigned chair, content with his pictures. "The Lizard Queen is very lucky," He commented with a grin. Then the offer to send Thea a greeting came up and Sean almost immediately said yes. Instead he stopped himself. "This might seem a bit petty, but I'm going to tell her you offered, and that I said no," Sean answered, a smirk spreading on his lips. "She's the one who pissed me off last, so I owe her nothing," The sibling law made sense in his head, but saying it out loud made Sean hear the harshness to it. "Do you have siblings?" He continued, trying to shift the focus over to the host. Maybe if Matt had a brother or a sister he could relate.

First Meeting
Matt Rourke
Host of Chat With Matt

One day, and that might come soon, or it might come in many years, but one day, the laptop and maybe the wire corner would just explode. Especially the laptop. The corner might just get too tangled, but the laptop...that thing was bound to spontaneously combust at some point in the future. But that hadn't happened yet and Matt didn't plan on replacing it until it was a pile of ash on the desk. He didn't want to buy another laptop and have to learn how to use it. Every time they released an iPhone update he was totally lost, so replacing his laptop was out of the question.

"Oh wow. That is petty." He wondered what it was like to have siblings right as Sean asked the question. "Uh no." He paused for a little bit. "My mom died when I was really little, and my dad never remarried so...just me." He shrugged, trying to hide the little pang of hurt that grew inside him whenever he talked about that subject. It was so long ago. Over and done. No reason to be so upset about it.

"Um. Anyway. I like to just get into things right away. Do you want water or anything?" He went to the minifridge that was next to the wire corner (bad design) and took out a water bottle for himself while he waited for Sean to answer. "We also have other stuff, but it's harder to edit out in post that water drinking."

Once he got whatever Sean wanted, he returned to the desk and sat down. "So uh...headphones, and we'll do a mic check." He pulled his own headphones on and tapped some things on his computer that connected the microphones. He tapped the one closest to him a couple times. "Okay. That's on," he mumbled to himself. "Hi I'm Matt Rourke and welcome back to Chat With Matt, or if it's your first time, just welcome!" He nodded to himself. "Alright my end is good. Can you say something into yours?"
º º code by ditto º º

Sean

@SCBarnes

Sean shrugged once again at Matt's agreement, ready to defend his pettiness, but stopped after hearing Matt's answer to his question. A rush of guilt hit him as he realized he had unintentionally brought up a sore subject. "I'm sorry, didn't mean to bring up bad memories," He answered, unsure if it was the right thing to say. What did one say in a situation like this? My condolences? I'm sorry, that sucks? He had never been the best with serious talk, and hoped his apology was sufficient, the last thing he wanted was to get on the bad side of the person interviewing him.

Despite being tempted to tell the host how much he understood the grief of not having a mother, he stopped himself. Mentioning would only continue the conversation none of them wanted to have. Besides, Sean's mother wasn't dead, as far as he knew at least. In some ways she might as well have been, the few times she had appeared in his life, she had done more harm than good.

"Just some water would be nice" Sean answered when Matt thankfully changed the subject. With a thankful nod, he took the water he was given, taking a big sip of it as Matt settled back down. Sean nodded along to Matt's words as he put on the headphones. They were in a lot better condition than the laptop Matt used, and were almost as comfortable as the pair of headset Sean wore while gaming.

"Hello?" He started into the microphone, but stopped. What was one supposed to say during a mic test? He knew it didn't really matter, it just had to be something, but his mind felt surprisingly blank when trying to get some random words out. "This is Sean Barnes, like subscribe and all that shit?" Fuck. They were in the mic test, and he had already cussed. On stream he managed to keep the swearing down to a minimum, but in a unknown environment it proved more difficult.

"That good?" He asked Matt with a raised brow, waiting for affirmation before saying "Fire away whenever you're ready,"

Recording
Matt Rourke
Host of Chat With Matt

Matt was far more focused on testing the levels than what Sean actually said into it. He did chuckle a little bit, though, at the phrase he ended up saying. "Works for me. You're all good." He took the headphones off and made sure to save the settings for both of them. "Okay so last chance. Is there anything else you wanna tell me before we start?" It was usually surprising how many people came up with things last minute. There was almost always one final detail to make everything just right.

Matt could sympathize. He knew how important it was to him that things went his way, so he extended that to others as well. Not to mention he had worked with self-important celebrities used to being pampered for most of his career, and he had learned fast that things went much easier if he treated them the same as a poorly paid and overworked assistant would. Like the center of the universe.

She had been like that. It was how they'd gotten along so well, he suspected. He treated her like the sun, and she took advantage of that. Some days, he still wondered whether or not he had just been overreacting, because maybe she was right all along and she deserved to be treated that way. Maybe he was in the wrong. It wouldn't be the first time...

He blinked back to reality. Shit. He'd missed whatever Sean had said. "Sorry uh...one more time." This was so not good. He had completely zoned out thinking about her. And he had been doing so well up until that point. He hadn't thought about her in weeks. Well, days. But almost weeks. It was all progress. But now he was thinking like that again? It couldn't mean anything good.

But he could focus on his ex-girlfriend later. Right now, he had to do a recording session.
º º code by ditto º º

Users who are viewing this thread

Back