• If your recruitment thread involves completely going off site with your partner(s) then it belongs in the Off-Site Ad Area.
  • This area of the site is governed by the official Recruitment rules. Whether you are looking for players or looking for a roleplay, we recommend you read them and familiarize your self with them. Read the Recruitment Rules Here.

Realistic or Modern Love of God (REBOOT- VICTORIAN CULT RP- OPEN)

laceanddoodles

Your run of the mill Victorian lady
Love of God Reboot (a Victorian rp)

Pastor Markus Kipling isn’t your average man of God. He’s more the type to stand on the busy street corner, screaming the gospels and declaring the end times are upon us. And, on Sundays, Wednesdays, and Fridays, he preaches the terror of God’s judgement to his wife, his brothers, his twelve children, and his small but devoted flock of converts.

It is 1847, in a medium sized New England town, overlooking the grey and stormy sea. By this point, Kipling’s children of God almost outnumber the nonbelievers. Almost, but not quite. That doesn’t bother them, though. They do not speak to outsiders, save to bring them into the fold. Mostly, they commune amongst themselves, living by Kipling’s teachings, and the word of the Bible.

This is a community of fundamentalists. All must be to the glory of god, and all must surrender to him, and try to free themselves from the wants of the flesh. Dancing, drinking, playing cards, music besides hymns, romance out of wedlock, all of that is forbidden. Members are encouraged to be each others’ keepers, and to report to Pastor Kipling should they see their brother or sister beginning to fall. Hairstyles, clothing, diet, books and newspapers, are all carefully regulated and kept away from the flock. In truth, there is little room to question anything. Blind faith and blind obedience are all that is left.

Welcome, to the love of God.

This is a reboot! I first ran this rp in late December/early January, 2020. It didn’t go far. Hopefully, this time, it’ll last a little longer. This is a realistic rp set in mid 19th century America. It will deal with Victorian tropes and ideals. The long suffering wife, the suffocating morals that leave little room to just be a human, fear of our bodies and natural impulses, with a big hearty emphasis on what it means to grow up as a woman or queer person in an environment where that is seen as unclean and dangerous. I encourage you to make characters that might not seem like the perfect Victorian Christians, but I encourage you to try instead to make characters who seem real. Give me a struggle of the heart, as your characters try to deal with their beliefs and their identities, and the various ways they contradict and intersect.

Like all of the rps that I will ever run, this is 100% accepting of LGBT+ identities and characters. The story may deal with difficult themes surrounding these characters, but, to quote my about me, I reject the notion that lgbt+ identities are something new or modern. They have always existed, just sometimes under the veil of secrecy and shame. Through storytelling, we can lift that veil, and illuminate the hypothetical lives and dramas of those who came before us. I would also emphasize that you do not have to be a historian to join and enjoy this rp. I’ll be here to answer questions you may have about the era, and really, I’d much rather focus on the characters and the heart of the story than making sure every little detail is technically historically accurate.

Now that we have that out of the way, this rp will center around a small cult, the Kipling family and those who follow Pastor Kipling. This cult is not based off of any particular sect of Christianity, or any religion. Rather, it is something cobbled together using Steven Hassan’s BITE model as a guide, with elements from various existing cults and extreme fundamentalist groups (IBLP, Quiverfull, FLDS, etc.). As a person, I am not Christian, however, I acknowledge that the vast majority of Christians are not in a cult. This is just a story about a cult that happens to use Christianity as its foundation.

Now, there will be a LOT of preset roles for people to take, if they go unclaimed, they can be NPCs. All I ask is that if you’re playing one of the Kipling daughters, give her a virtue name. I’ll give you a big long list. And if you’re playing a Kipling son, give him a first and middle name, and have both names be Bible characters, the more obscure the better. Now for some rules, and then the available preset roles. (All listed genders are what was designated at birth. Feel free to interpret any of them as closeted trans, or whatever strikes your fancy, just remember they probably won’t be open about it.)

There will be a lot more information about The Group to come, including a list of Group doctrine. Here's a few rules for the rp itself, and then some resources.

Rules-Be nice be respectful out of character
-Swearing is okay in moderation, but definitely would be against the rules of The Group.
-No one liners. We don’t need novellas, but please give at least a good paragraph.
-Research isn’t required (or expected), but it is encouraged. I won’t be enforcing historical accuracy too much, but also, if you have any questions about the history, ask me! I will probably have an answer!!
-Follow the rules of RPN
-Anime fcs are okay, but I prefer real people, your own artwork, or artwork you have permission to use from the artist.
-We are not here to bash anyone’s beliefs. Christianity can be used for a force of good just as easily and as often as it is used to hurt and control people.
-Have fun, ask me any questions you might have, and let’s tell a good story!

Available roles
Available Roles:
Pastor Kipling— founder and leader of The Group (Taken)
Mrs. Kipling— the long suffering wife and mother of twelve (Taken bread-and-butterflies bread-and-butterflies )
Pastor Kipling’s younger brother— a high up in The Group (Taken madame moiselle madame moiselle )
Pastor Kipling’s sister in law— A wife. (Taken Undercore Undercore )
The first Kipling child— Female, aged 25, married.
The second Kipling child— Female, aged 22, recently married.
The third child— Male, aged 21, single. Disgraced from The Group. (Taken Horace Horace )
The fourth child— Female, aged 19, the eldest child still living at home. (Taken)
The fifth— Female, aged 15 (Taken Delphine Delphine )
The sixth— Male, aged 14 (Taken Chimney Swift Chimney Swift )
The seventh— Male, aged 13 (Taken a.arxo a.arxo )
The eighth— Female, aged 11, a twin (Taken queanbean queanbean )
The ninth— Male, aged 11, a twin (Taken Aileas Aileas )
The tenth— Female, aged 9
The eleventh— Female, aged 8
The twelfth— Male, aged 7 (Taken ungulatehoof ungulatehoof )
Congregants— OPEN, pretty much unlimited.
- a.arxo a.arxo
- Undercore Undercore
- madame moiselle madame moiselle
-
-
-

Some virtue names
-Amity
-Constance
-Prudence
-Temperance
-Honor
-Piety
-Chastity
-Hope
-Faith
-Liberty
-Truth
-Harmony
-Modesty
-Patience
-Grace
-Bliss
-Merit
-Obedience
-Serenity
-Purity
-Joy
-Blythe
-Humility
-Shame
-Gentleness
-Respect
-Clemency
-Verity
-Sincerity
-Felicity
-Virtue
-Fidelity

Last edited:
Hey! I find it very interesting, I'd enjoy to be part of it, if it's okay for you :33:
I don't know what character I'd take yet, but maybe one of the Kipling children ^^

Hey! I find it very interesting, I'd enjoy to be part of it, if it's okay for you :33:
I don't know what character I'd take yet, but maybe one of the Kipling children ^^
Awesome! I’ll mark you down as a congregant for now, and we can update the list to more accurately reflect what you want when you make up your mind. Welcome aboard!

Awesome! I’ll mark you down as a congregant for now, and we can update the list to more accurately reflect what you want when you make up your mind. Welcome aboard!
Hey! Thank you very much! I can't wait to see where this interesting concept would lead us ^^
I think I'd take the ninth child, the male twin, if this role is still available :closedeyessmile:

Hey! Thank you very much! I can't wait to see where this interesting concept would lead us ^^
I think I'd take the ninth child, the male twin, if this role is still available :closedeyessmile:
Of course! This will be a lot of fun. I’m going to wait until a few more people express interest, then open the CS, and keep the interest check almost indefinitely open.

This honestly sounds so fun, I really like doing historical roleplays
Me too!! I was so sad when this premise didn’t go farther, last time. It really does just make for such an interesting and odd bunch of characters with such unique dynamics— I love it.

Hello all!! Here’s the thread for character sheets!

I will emphasize, again, that this rp is still super open, and I’d love to have more people. There are still a lot of roles to fill, and even besides that, I’d love to see any ideas you have about other congregants— recent converts, those born into the church like the Kipling kids, etc.. If you’re perhaps looking at this message and a little nervous or apprehensive about joining a historical rp (I know some are), I’m more than willing to answer any question you might have!

Do you have a face claim for the pastor and his wife so that I know what kind of image to look for for my faceclaim?

Do you have a face claim for the pastor and his wife so that I know what kind of image to look for for my faceclaim?
I don't, yet. Mainly I do my own art. I know Penny, another one of the Kipling children, is blonde with grey-blue eyes and a prominent nose, so that could be a jumping off point for you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back