Literature LOTR/Hobbit Fans around here?

As a tabletop player, we pretty much consider Tolkien the father of DND as we know it, including every off-shoot that is borne out of that.

Hell, most people consider LOTR canon reference for fantasy classes and races.

I read The Hobbit when I was like 12 or so. Loved it. Tried to read the following Lord of the Rings series, and was not so taken by it. I've re-read the Hobbit since, and I still like it. But I still can't bring myself to finish the other three. I've watched both of the old animated movies. But have only seen pieces and parts of the newer films.

As a tabletop player, we pretty much consider Tolkien the father of DND as we know it, including every off-shoot that is borne out of that.

Never played tabletop before (mostly cause of nobody I knew growing up played or talked about it. So didn’t know of it til years later and again idk any players in Rl. I know one on here though) But interest has drawn me to explore and research it and I can definitely see your point.

Tolkien was/is indeed The Godfather and guide to use for any fantasy related lore and such. Overall this post is just rambling way of agreeing but only just saw the more recent posts in here and thought I’d chime in.

I read The Hobbit when I was like 12 or so. Loved it. Tried to read the following Lord of the Rings series, and was not so taken by it. I've re-read the Hobbit since, and I still like it. But I still can't bring myself to finish the other three. I've watched both of the old animated movies. But have only seen pieces and parts of the newer films.
I started the LOTR books when I was a kid but never finished them. I think they were the movie addition however as the covers had the movie version characters on them. But after seeing the trilogy and loving them, I never got back to finishing the series. Kinda regret it cause as a kid I didn’t know certain details in the movies are inaccurate and some characters played different roles or were not part of certain battles or scenes. Between that series and Harry Potter I learned you can’t fully trust movies to be completely accurate though I did finish the Hp series as a kid so I knew the differences better in that one at least.

I loved the hobbit book! Read it before the movies and tried following it with Children of Hurin (Might be recalling title wrong. Shameful on my part) and the silmarillion (mispelled I believe) but couldn’t quite get through those two only a couple chapters each. I saw the animated movies only a bit and that was in more recent years when they appeared randomly on a tv channel i never paid much attention to but didn’t expect that find. Long story short, couldn’t get into those but interesting to see older versions of the series. I loved the modern films for both LOTR and hobbit. (Hobbit book was better then movie though. Certain scenes shouldn’t be changed imo even if minor)

I started the LOTR books when I was a kid but never finished them. I think they were the movie addition however as the covers had the movie version characters on them. But after seeing the trilogy and loving them, I never got back to finishing the series.

Ah, I think the movies didnt come out until I was already out of Highschool.

Kinda regret it cause as a kid I didn’t know certain details in the movies are inaccurate and some characters played different roles or were not part of certain battles or scenes. Between that series and Harry Potter I learned you can’t fully trust movies to be completely accurate though I did finish the Hp series as a kid so I knew the differences better in that one at least.

LOL. yeah, movies almost never do the books justice. Have you ever read Dune? The movie is a hack job to the novel.

LOL. yeah, movies almost never do the books justice. Have you ever read Dune? The movie is a hack job to the novel.
Indeed. No, I’ve heard of it but not a book I’ve come across in Rl and read, also can’t say I’ve seen the movie. Aren’t they making a new movie with Dave Bautista as a remake of it? Or maybe I’m thinking of another series.

I've heard rumors via my piss-poor internet social circles that there is some sort of Dune remake. Fingers-crossed, yeah?

I've heard rumors via my piss-poor internet social circles that there is some sort of Dune remake. Fingers-crossed, yeah?
Yeah. I’ve heard it could or is supposed to be good. (Keep in mind I’ve no knowledge about this book or the original movie) But I’m not sure how that could be claimed if nothing has been shown yet. Or if what I heard was even accurate or some clickbait title or story from a unreliable source looking to get views rather then legitimate info or review. But if true, it sounded interesting from what I heard about it.

Yeah. I’ve heard it could or is supposed to be good. (Keep in mind I’ve no knowledge about this book or the original movie) But I’m not sure how that could be claimed if nothing has been shown yet. Or if what I heard was even accurate or some clickbait title or story from a unreliable source looking to get views rather then legitimate info or review. But if true, it sounded interesting from what I heard about it.

I do recommend reading dune, is like five+ books. Depending on who is reading this spice, it either flows like it is some good Tolkien, inbetween, or it doesn't at all. All of them tend to go over a variety of stories in sacred hyper detail. Though some entries after or just the one one could view as dificult, or doesn't entirely live up to nor goes over expectation. But at the one after all that returns to it's roots and becomes biblical-tier in greatness. Then go on from there. Don't read it in chronological order until after dune itself if you do get them, it'll make better sense. Like a weird flash forwards then back, or one of those stories that you see that shows the end of midpoints then becomes the journey there. But if it continued paste that point.

Ah, I think the movies didnt come out until I was already out of Highschool.

While factual, no media could possibly hope to capture dune in a one-off let alone immensely in under 20 hours. Wasn't it like a or two hours long? Just to set up everything would need overall five with periodical breaks and dedicated introductions ranging by visual for some and a combo of showing and telling. About twenty minutes to figure out what "exactly the hell" is going on including with arrakis, and that can be halved through artistic visualization. Forty minutes for character basics, and the rest for
A M A Z I N G W O R M A C T I O N.

Also yes, there's going to be another one. Now you damn well know it probably won't be out in December, but movie-meaning will be found in our lives eventually.

Right here! I love spending entire weekends just watching the movies all over again. And since they're on Netflix it has become so much easier for me.

I wish they made more high fantasy movies like that

I’ve lost count how many times I’ve rewatched the movies for LOTR and Hobbit. I’ve heard or actually keep hearing about a tv series on I guess, amazon? But never saw it on there during the free trial I had awhile back but keep hearing about it and it’s kinda like a torture esque tease. Also kinda sucks that it’s amazon and not Hulu or Netflix that I already have.

But I definitely agree! We could use more high fantasy movies like Tolkien’s work. I’d love it if they made more movies of Dragon age (book/game series) perhaps even make live action but bigger budget. Though loved Felicia days small budget productions she did on YouTube.

Mm, I like Tolkiens works, I've read the books, even the Silmarillion, loved the movies, played the various video games and the board games and while I like it... Also lukewarm to it. Its not a universe I'm very interested in or invested in, I tend to like universes his work has inspired more then his work (Kinda like Bob Dylan. Man was a musical genius, but I, more often than naught, enjoy covers or works inspired by him more then his original work).

So never felt any desire to RP in that world. Honestly, my girlfriend is a bigger LOTR person.

Indeed, inspiration from his works can be seen in almost every fantasy story we tell in modern times. I generally am hard pressed to find one that wasn't either directly inspired, or inspired by another story that was. Truly his world had a profound effect on the culture of storytelling itself, from world creation to tropes that we reference regularly.

The Silent Z The Silent Z The reason that you've not seen commercials for the LOTR show is that it is still in production that I believe has been affected negatively by the pandemic.

I love Lord of the Rings and me and my SO are currently rewatching the movies. When I was about 14 I was utterly obsessed with the books to the point that it must have annoyed the crap out of people when I wouldn't shut up about it.

The films are just amazing, and when you think they were made nearly twenty years ago and still look fucking epic it's even more impressive.

I love Lord of the Rings and me and my SO are currently rewatching the movies. When I was about 14 I was utterly obsessed with the books to the point that it must have annoyed the crap out of people when I wouldn't shut up about it.

The films are just amazing, and when you think they were made nearly twenty years ago and still look fucking epic it's even more impressive.
The movies will remain a work of art imo. You’re right about how epic they remain considering it was twenty years ago when they were made. Between LOTR and HP growing up plus Star Wars, they really got me hooked on exploring the more fantasy based and creative sides of reading and etc.

Indeed, inspiration from his works can be seen in almost every fantasy story we tell in modern times. I generally am hard pressed to find one that wasn't either directly inspired, or inspired by another story that was. Truly his world had a profound effect on the culture of storytelling itself, from world creation to tropes that we reference regularly.

The Silent Z The Silent Z The reason that you've not seen commercials for the LOTR show is that it is still in production that I believe has been affected negatively by the pandemic.
This makes sense and quite reasonable. but also kinda feels like a few years for me since I started hearing about it. Haha

There's a lot of activity on the Tolkien reddits, and some on tumblr. I like reading The Hobbit yearly.

There's a lot of activity on the Tolkien reddits, and some on tumblr. I like reading The Hobbit yearly.
I don’t know what Tumblr is like on the whole. But Reddit I haven’t really checked out much, few times I have and was a mixed bag for me. Though haven’t checked out any Tolkien related threads there.

An unexpected source of Tolkien discussion is actually YouTube comments. If you can sift through some of the memeing, you can find people who have read lots of the lore discussing background of some of the scenes.

Here's an example:

An unexpected source of Tolkien discussion is actually YouTube comments. If you can sift through some of the memeing, you can find people who have read lots of the lore discussing background of some of the scenes.

Here's an example:

YouTube has been awesome! Haven’t seen a ton of discussions in comparison to what others might have, but they have some great channels for lore vids, discussions and almost anything if you find the right sources and youtubers.

Yeah the memes... lol, the times I’ve spent going through the memes. But that’s awesome, thanks! I’ll check it out! Don’t think I’ve seen that one yet.

Edit: Gotta love Galadriel! She’s just epic

Last edited:
It's older now and there hasn't been any new content for some time. The Hobbit films didn't seem to have as much impact so it's likely just time causing people to lose interest.

I used to belong to a LOTR roleplay site. Doesn't seem as popular these days.
It's older now and there hasn't been any new content for some time. The Hobbit films didn't seem to have as much impact so it's likely just time causing people to lose interest.

Very much this, fandom based RPs, no matter how big the fandom, tend to have a pulse as long as content or hype is being generated, regardless if thats here on RpN or an entire site dedicated to a particular kind of RP. The only exceptions to this are Star Wars and Harry Potter I think.

Very much this, fandom based RPs, no matter how big the fandom, tend to have a pulse as long as content or hype is being generated, regardless if thats here on RpN or an entire site dedicated to a particular kind of RP. The only exceptions to this are Star Wars and Harry Potter I think.

Yeah they are still coming out with new Star Wars, and Harry Potter is relatively new compared to LotR.

I belonged to that site around the time the Peter Jackson movies were made.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back