Literature LOTR/Hobbit Fans around here?

The Silent Z

Just Here
Hello all,

I’ve got another question to ask, nothing serious but wanted to know if any fans of Tolkien exist in this forum? I thought I’ve seen a few over the years but in the year 2020... how many of us are still around or exist at all on RPN?

I know some fandoms can be smaller in terms of active followers here and anywhere really. But as a Tolkien fan and watching lore vids on YouTube as of late. It got me wondering and thoughts of a future Tolkien universe rp wouldn’t be a terrible thought either imo. (If Difficult perhaps)

Hello! Big Hobbit fan.
Tolkien's works is relatively still popular and widespread; I just think it's becoming more...niche. As more and more original ideas sprawl out and more popular or newer fandoms rise up, I think it's natural that the Tolkien roleplays would seem invisible. But I'm sure some well-done advertising for your roleplay would catch yourself some of the Tolkien fans on this site!

Last edited:
We exist.

Some of them make their ideas in unrelated fantasy worlds instead, some of that doing it to test and explore concepts with it, or just for amusement. They're great and even if they yank a full character, their stories, or even take Tolkien's meta, they still try doing their own way for them. You can find them in fantasy RPs of any type.

There's also the... others. Or essentially the smaller types of all fandoms that throw in ideas of one into another RP directly with no even 1% original spin, but some of them when they when argued with will state that no RP exists and they really want it. For example of another fandom type: >Imperial Dreadnaught in a bloody slice of life 2000s era RP. Those types don't bother with making their own at all at times. Just direct and "perfect" ripoffs. Effectively trying to turn the RP into their standard. They annoy us, and some leave if it's accepted.

All in all there is also over a thousand people here that mostly RP, but a lot of the OOC isn't even on site. Some form community servers even, so they more often than not speak there in immense length, since it's faster than here. But at the same time because of things like discord being faster, if you don't write 10 lines in under a second, people start making some pretty hilarious jokes on how slow the response is. But that is usually during RPs and when people talk ooc.

You don't see many here because they don't talk all that much outside the RPs. The same 12+ people for example if you look on advise, general, and personal discussion subforums here are the same people with a rare few new ones showing up. I can refer some people you could talk with here if you're interested. About three of them as a whole.

Hello! Big Hobbit fan.
Tolkien's works is relatively still popular and widespread; I just think it's becoming more...niche. As more and more original ideas sprawl out and more popular or newer fandoms rise up, I think it's natural that the Tolkien roleplays would seem invisible. But I'm sure some well-don't advertising for your roleplay would catch yourself some of the Tolkien fans on this site!
Hello

Fair, It’s not uncommon for different fandoms to fade in favor of newer fandoms that make it big and starting to rise up. I’ll admit it’s been awhile since actually searching for anything specific like a Tolkien related rp, but has seemed non active these days, but I can understand the reasons and there are places I haven’t really gone through while searching interest checks. Still nice to see fellow fans still around though, not sure when and if I’ll make one in the future, not sure of any good ideas for one at the moment tbh. But if I do, good to know it may not go to waste with a advert for one.

We exist.

Some of them make their ideas in unrelated fantasy worlds instead, some of that doing it to test and explore concepts with it, or just for amusement. They're great and even if they yank a full character, their stories, or even take Tolkien's meta, they still try doing their own way for them. You can find them in fantasy RPs of any type.

There's also the... others. Or essentially the smaller types of all fandoms that throw in ideas of one into another RP directly with no even 1% original spin, but some of them when they when argued with will state that no RP exists and they really want it. For example of another fandom type: >Imperial Dreadnaught in a bloody slice of life 2000s era RP. Those types don't bother with making their own at all at times. Just direct and "perfect" ripoffs. Effectively trying to turn the RP into their standard. They annoy us, and some leave if it's accepted.

All in all there is also over a thousand people here that mostly RP, but a lot of the OOC isn't even on site. Some form community servers even, so they more often than not speak there in immense length, since it's faster than here. But at the same time because of things like discord being faster, if you don't write 10 lines in under a second, people start making some pretty hilarious jokes on how slow the response is. But that is usually during RPs and when people talk ooc.

You don't see many here because they don't talk all that much outside the RPs. The same 12+ people for example if you look on advise, general, and personal discussion subforums here are the same people with a rare few new ones showing up. I can refer some people you could talk with here if you're interested. About three of them as a whole.
Oh? Curious. I haven’t checked fantasy enough times then, I usually see a variety of things there but can’t say I’ve looked long enough to see versions of Tolkien and inspired by Tolkien rps. Admittedly I often check the same places but rarely for too long, just a skim through that day or two days worth of interest checks. I’ve recently began creating a Tolkien/DA/Skyrim inspired and style of universe and lore, cool to see others have similar deals going on themselves.

Ah I see, can’t say I’ve heard of that particular fandom, but I know of what you speak in general.

Those I’m aware of, I’ve taken part in rps that use Discord for OOC and the like. I’ve got a discord, but rarely use it and am more of take my time without holding people up sort rather then rapid replies of that nature. Even if I wanted to I’m just not the fastest writer/typed around.

If any are around and interested in talks about one. I’d appreciate the referral!

I mean most of the time as implied if not mentioned, their characters or even nations are in the CSes of the RPs, then posting in the ICs. Even then it would not be easy to spot them from a normal fantasy goer unless you read their whole posts. Like mentioned before, the mentions of this is usually not even on the site. But there are some that actually do their own RPs similarly too and easier to see. Thus by just looking for RPs, you won't find that many.

If your interested, the mentioned fandom was Warhammer. It also has a fantasy variant.

Crumbli Crumbli Petroshka Petroshka and Shireling Shireling
These are the people. I think there was another, but oh my precious Gollum, I can't remember their very long name. Just grim and that's it.

I think the problem you'll find with trying to spot fans of Tolkien's works as opposed to members of other fandoms on site is that he had such original ideas, and birthed such strong concepts, that a lot of his fans are more inclined towards originality than other fandoms. Many fantasy rps won't pull his ideas directly but rather use some of the tropes he created, or modified versions of the races he popularised, to create a setting that is effectively their own or resembles something akin to another fandom.

Unrelated to this thread, if you're interested in joining discord rp hubs or servers where people chat about concepts you can also join the rpn official discord (if you haven't already) OR one of the many other discords for specific groups of people who typically lean towards a certain rp style or genre. I know for a fact there are some servers around where people do nothing but come up with concepts for rps, many of which never even get made.

And I believe you're referring to KindlyPlagueDoctor KindlyPlagueDoctor , Kazami

Been a fan ever since I got the books when I was in my teens. \When the fellowship of the ring aired at the movies I was so thrilled!
It have everything I could imagine and since then diehard fan till i die :P

We might lurk around but we still roam middle-earth :)

I think the problem you'll find with trying to spot fans of Tolkien's works as opposed to members of other fandoms on site is that he had such original ideas, and birthed such strong concepts, that a lot of his fans are more inclined towards originality than other fandoms. Many fantasy rps won't pull his ideas directly but rather use some of the tropes he created, or modified versions of the races he popularised, to create a setting that is effectively their own or resembles something akin to another fandom.

Unrelated to this thread, if you're interested in joining discord rp hubs or servers where people chat about concepts you can also join the rpn official discord (if you haven't already) OR one of the many other discords for specific groups of people who typically lean towards a certain rp style or genre. I know for a fact there are some servers around where people do nothing but come up with concepts for rps, many of which never even get made.

And I believe you're referring to KindlyPlagueDoctor KindlyPlagueDoctor , Kazami
Can’t say that I’ve joined the official Rpn discord, but I also don’t use or get on Discord much anymore, I’m usually just on here or offline in general when it comes to Rp, writing and related fields. So whenever I might casually look about the interest check sections (usually group) I just keep eyes open for anything interesting or familiar and interesting. But true, Tolkien’s level of originality and lore is quite leaning towards a particular sort of fans and there for could lend to a lacking for easy finds in locating fellow fans.

Been a fan ever since I got the books when I was in my teens. \When the fellowship of the ring aired at the movies I was so thrilled!
It have everything I could imagine and since then diehard fan till i die :P

We might lurk around but we still roam middle-earth :)
I started reading the books and seeing the movies around the time i was a kid and the movies started coming out in the early 2000’s, I’ve been hooked ever since.

The movies were awesome! Great banter as well as the locations and work done with them.

Nice!

I'm not the biggest fan in the world, but I do like me some Tolkien.
Awesome!

LOTR and Hobbit were my childhood friends. I am no expert where the Legendarium is concerned and I am yet to open CoH or silmarillion but I have enjoyed my time spent in Arda. At one point I even had the pleasure of playing a Citadel Guard in a LOTR RP, but the game quickly died because the GM was too flaky. Later on we could not find enough vigor to resurrect the game, which is something I regret.

I have not adopted a habit of checking frequently the Recruit Here section, but if any of you encounter an errant game set in Middle-Earth - no matter the Age - please remember your fellows from this thread. 🙂

I love both the Hobbit and LOTR trilogy! I just recently reread both, now I just have to rewatch the movies! ;D

Honestly, though, I'm not new to the DnD or Fantasy roleplay scene. I'm not ashamed to be so young and still like this stuff. I hope I feel the same way when I'm older.

I am a strong Tolkien fan, however I would not want to participate in anything set in the legendarium. It is far too hallowed in my mind to tread upon.

As for the apparent absence of Tolkien fans. I would likely point at the increasingly non-reading culture of the growing generations, books in particular. It is a sad fact, but those younger amongst us do not read as much as those prior did, from my experience.

I am a strong Tolkien fan, however I would not want to participate in anything set in the legendarium. It is far too hallowed in my mind to tread upon.

As for the apparent absence of Tolkien fans. I would likely point at the increasingly non-reading culture of the growing generations, books in particular. It is a sad fact, but those younger amongst us do not read as much as those prior did, from my experience.

I know, it's sad. I didn't know a lot of my friends don't even read. It's hard to talk to them about books...

Ha ha, thanks Ayama.

I'd think that a lot of rpers would be fantasy fans and therefore at least have seen the film trilogy. Most of the people I know IRL who are my age have too. But then I don't know anyone else IRL who has read the books.

But yes, I'd be happy to find a good middle earth rp. : )

Chiming in in agreement over a good middle earth RP! I admit I have a fading memory of the (LOTR) book lore & my most vivid memories of it now are the Peter Jackson movies! (Which to my defense is understandable as it is what I grew up with & it is my first ever fandom!) But I love the idea of RP-ing in Middle Earth. I think I'm most familiar with LOTR characters though I have a soft spot for LOTR OCs.

Chiming in in agreement over a good middle earth RP! I admit I have a fading memory of the (LOTR) book lore & my most vivid memories of it now are the Peter Jackson movies! (Which to my defense is understandable as it is what I grew up with & it is my first ever fandom!) But I love the idea of RP-ing in Middle Earth. I think I'm most familiar with LOTR characters though I have a soft spot for LOTR OCs.
Are you still searching for a rp partner by chance? :>

Among the best Fantasy movies I've seen, I love LOTR. The Hobbit movies, on the other hand, just a complete mess.

Big Tolkien lover here :) I prefer the books to the films but PJ's trilogy is still pretty solid. I've been toying with the idea of starting a LotR RP, set in Cirith Ungol. I think it'd be quite enjoyable to roleplay the baddies in middle earth for once.

I'm a huge LOTR fan, as well as a fan of all of Tolkien's Middle-earth books. (The books are always better.) I remember reading my sister's copy of LOTR and reading it so many times that it started to fall apart. I also have The Silmarillion, Unfinished Tales, and The Children of Hurin.

The LOTR movies are okay, but like I said, I prefer the books. I really don't like what they did to Faramir in The Two Towers. He is my favorite character in the books.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back