• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Lost Over Lattes

Nana_MelaNinja

Apathy. Greed. Corruption. Power. HOPE.
If one had been paying close attention to the goings-on at the campus of Georgetown University, one may have noticed a young man staring intently at a stationary map of the campus. The young man went by the name of Benjamin Inouye, and he was horribly, terribly lost. One, if they were paying attention, may have then wondered exactly how someone could be so lost with direct access to a map at their disposal. The answer was simple: the map was severely out of date. The university had undergone several renovations during the summer, and Benjamin’s desired destination, the campus’ coffee shop, had been relocated to another area of the university. This being his first day at Georgetown, Benjamin, of course, had no knowledge of this fact. Students who had studied at the university during the previous semester would have been aware of news of the relocation. To Ben, though, the shop appeared to have sprouted legs and walked off into the ocean. Or perhaps it sprouted wings and floated gracefully away into outer space. That’s it, aliens abducted the coffee shop, Benjamin thought wearily as he took a seat on a nearby bench. Martians are probably yukking it up right now, sipping on my caramel latte. Such thoughts were the product of a caffeine-deprived Benjamin, and they were not likely to improve as time went on. 

What made things worse was that every third or fourth student Benjamin saw seemed to be milling about the yard with the recognizable to-go cup of scrumptious brew in hand, so he had to be close by. At one point in time, Benjamin briefly considered discreetly following a random student in the hopes that a visit to the coffee shop would be a part of their morning excursion. He quickly put the thought to rest, however. For one, he was the exact opposite of discreet. If Benjamin were to follow through with the plan, he would undoubtedly give his position away with his constant sneezing. And he’d rather not put himself through the ordeal of being labeled as the resident stalker around campus. Secondly… he wanted to find this freaking coffee shop himself

Developing his independence was part of the reason he was at Georgetown, after all. Far away from his hometown of Okinawa, Benjamin partly made the decision to transfer to prove to himself, and his family, that he could take care of himself. He arranged his own travel plans. He underwent the application process on his own. He even managed to get all of his credits to transfer from OU to Georgetown. How could he not even find one measly little coffee shop? He developed an internal compass for them over his lifetime.

Benjamin shoved his beanie down his face in shame before slumping down further into his seat. I probably don't even deserve coffee at this point. 

Thankfully, no one was paying any attention to the goings-on at Georgetown University, much less to Benjamin Inouye.

Absolutely no one at all.

@Keaira

((Sorry for the silly title, I literally couldn't think of anything else to name this! :P  If you have a better one in mind, I'll change it if I can. )) 

Last edited by a moderator:
[SIZE=11pt]Ashley was just walking on to the library, taking the long way because she wanted to enjoy some fresh air. She really needed to study for a big exam coming up, but she was tired, and part of her was lonely and wanted to go to a party, but she had left that life behind. She just needed someone to talk to that wasn’t just into drinking and dancing. She strolled down the walkway, listening to her music, not even paying attention to anything around her, as she had earbuds in, and was just enjoying sunshine and fresh air.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=11pt] [/SIZE]

[SIZE=11pt]As she was walking and listening to her favorite band, she glanced up for just a moment, and saw a new person she hadn’t seen before, and he didn’t look very happy. He had his beanie over his face and was slumped. She debated on just to keep on walking, but decided to be friendly for once, as she had been the new person before too. With all the renovations that had been done, she was still learning where everything new was, much less a new person. She figured he was lost, lonely, and confused.  As she approached the bench, she didn’t want him to think she was a creeper, so she coughed a little on the way there.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=11pt] [/SIZE]

[SIZE=11pt]“Hi, I am Ashley, are you okay?” This was all she could think of to ask. She could have asked to sit down beside him, but they have never met, and she wasn’t normally one to reach out to people. She was shy and reserved and usually didn’t find people who had similar interests. Her friends that she did have were always trying to get her to go to a bar, or a party and tried hooking her up with guys that only wanted to take her to bed. She wasn’t into those kinds of things, and she has only ever kissed one person, and that was in a truth or dare game, so it didn’t really count. She smiled at the guy who honestly just looked really down. She hoped he wasn’t the type that would freak out on her asking a simple question. If so, though, she would just keep going to the library to do what she should be doing, studying.[/SIZE]

A light cough and an even lighter-sounding voice broke through Benjamin’s shroud of gloom. The voice was high-pitched, feminine and… directed towards him? Benjamin’s head jolted up, breaking free from the thin veil of his beanie. His eyes locked with those of another student. She had told him her name, Ashley, and asked him if he was okay. Benjamin swallowed thickly as he thought of a reply. He certainly didn’t want to worry Ashley by telling her that he was on the verge of a physical breakdown from caffeine depletion. That wouldn’t do. Instead, Ben got up from his seat and removed his hat, remembering the manners he was taught as a child, and turned to face his new acquaintance.  

“Um, yeah… I’m okay!” Benjamin remarked in a tone that he hoped projected a bit of light-hearted confidence. “My body just kind of… uh, breaks down when it goes too long without any coffee,” he continued with a slight laugh while unconsciously playing with the brim of his beanie. He wasn’t yet willing to admit that he was lost, especially while in the presence of one of the first individuals to have ever approached him at Georgetown. He wanted to maintain at least some sense of self-sufficiency, even if he had to fake it.

Benjamin thought for a moment. Perhaps this was his chance to locate the elusive coffee shop! If he played his cards right, Ben could learn its location from Ashley without looking like a total dork. Drawing back his shoulders, Benjamin turned to Ashley once more, praying that his plan would work. “Yeah, I just got back from my morning run. But I kind of lost track of the time and missed my coffee break, so I’m pretty winded.” The statement was true enough. He had spent the better part of the morning trotting around like a madman trying to obtain his daily caffeine fix, he was winded because of it, and he was well overdue for that caramel latte. Ben only hoped that he could pull off this next part. “I was just getting some rest before hitting up the coffee shop. ...Were you headed there, by any chance? Because if you were, we could go there… togetherif that’s okay with you?” His voice steadily lost the confidence he had struggled so strongly to obtain, ending with a barely audible stammer. 

Benji you total dork, the young man thought to himself as he bit his lower lip and waited for Ashley to respond.

Ashley couldn't help but giggle. "No worries, we can walk that way. It is on the way to where I was going. I am actually heading to the library to study. I might could use a latte though, to keep me awake while studying." She smiled at him and started walking towards the direction of the coffee shop. It actually wasn't very far away and she had to pass it to get to the library, so it was no trouble showing him where it was. "No worries about your pride either, I won't tell anyone." She winked at him. "I was new once too. There are some that have been here for a while that are having trouble, because they didn't read about the renovations, so don't feel bad." 

She kept walking towards the coffee shop, trying to think about the exam, and what all she would have to study, and she let her mind wander to what coffee she would want. She decided a Mocha would be amazing. "So, what coffee do you like?" She asked as she looked up and smiled at him.She was just trying to make small talk, and hoped she wasn't rambling or getting on his nerves. "I didn't catch your name?" she asked and hoped she wasn't being too pushy or getting too personal. "Where are you from? I am from Maryland, and moved here to go to college on a scholarship." She smiled and kept walking towards the coffee shop. It was in sight now, so wouldn't be long until they got there.

Relief flowed over Benjamin as Ashley agreed to accompany him to the coffee shop. Apparently, she would be passing by the shop while on her way to the library and didn't mind showing him where it was. Would everyone at Georgetown be so friendly? Ben could only hope. "Lattes are pretty amazing. I was going to get one myself. I could use one after this morning." As Benjamin walked alongside Ashley, he faltered a bit when he realized that she saw past his facade. "Guess you saw right through me," he admitted sheepishly, inwardly marveling at Ashley's intuition. Thankfully, she didn't seem too upset by the deception. He was further encouraged by her promise not to tell anyone about his plight that morning.  "Thanks. This is one morning I can't wait to forget," Ben replied, exasperated. One word from Ashley's explanation resonated with him. "Renovations? That makes sense. I was trying to use that map back there to find out where everything was. I'm just glad the map was wrong and I'm not losing my mind or forgot how to read English." He would have to sign up to get notifications from the university later on.

Ben had been so swept up in their conversation, he failed to realize that he neglected to properly introduce himself until Ashley mentioned it. "Oh, sorry about that. It's Benji," he began, before immediately regretting it. "Benji" was a childhood nickname that had managed to stick with him through the years. "I mean, that's what my family calls me. My name's Benjamin Inouye," he said, returning Ashley's smile with a small one of his own. "I never had a coffee that I didn't like, but caramel lattes are my favorite." Coffees were among the few treats he could enjoy without triggering his bothersome allergies. "It's weird, I was raised on tea as a kid. But when I started traveling to the States to visit my aunt and uncle, I started drinking a ton of coffee." Happy that Ashley seemed to take such an interest in him, Ben ventured on to her next question. "I stayed in New York over the summer with my relatives, but I'm originally from Okinawa. I actually just transferred here from OU." He nodded and listened to Ashley share a bit of her own life's story with him. "I haven't been to Maryland yet, but I've been dying to go. That state has a lot of history. I'd love to check out some of the museums there." History was a passion of his. Had more profitable careers been available for a history degree, it would have been his major instead of law.

"Ah, this must be it," Benjamin beamed, his spirit rising at the sight of the coffee shop. He turned to Ashley, a relieved smile plastered on his face. "You have no idea how much I've been looking forward to this. Thanks again for showing me the way. I'm not sure how long I would have lasted back there." 

[SIZE=11pt]Ashley smiled, “I like lattes as well. Caramel is good, but my favorite is Mocha. I could use one too. I have a feeling it is going to be a long afternoon.” Ashley nodded at him while he talked about her seeing through him. She was there once, so it was easy for her. She didn’t mind though, because she would be the same way. “Yes, they did renovations this summer. There are a few things moved that are on that map. They really need to make a new one.”[/SIZE]

[SIZE=11pt] [/SIZE]

[SIZE=11pt]“Benji, nice to meet you. I like the name Benji. I don’t like tea though.” Ashley giggled a little. She was enjoying their conversation and hoped that he was too. “I have never been to New York, we may have to fill each other in on New York and Maryland. Maryland does have a lot of history, and the museums are amazing. I used to visit them a lot in the summer. I am not as into history, but I do like seeing things in person that was used or had a purpose in the past.” She smiled. “I am more of a reader, writer, and musician than a historian. Although, I love math too. Just not Science and History. My favorite class though is Psychology. I love trying to learn how the brain works. I know, I am weird. I should get a degree in Psychology, but I felt I would be a better lawyer, because I could argue with a wall, and win.” Ashley laughed. “Here I go rambling again, sorry.” She hated she rambled when she got nervous. She was way out of her comfort zone in talking to a guy who she barely knew.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=11pt] [/SIZE]

[SIZE=11pt]They stepped into the coffee shop and she could smell the coffee. “No problem at all. It smells delicious. Hope to see you around.” She smiled, ordered her Mocha Latte to go, and stood waiting for it to be made. Hopefully it would give her a boost to study hard for her test.[/SIZE]

"Mocha's definitely in my top five," Benjamin agreed. "This place in New York has the best peppermint mocha lattes. They only serve them during the winter, but the wait is so worth it." Benji. I'm never going to outgrow that name, am I? Ben though to himself. Oh well, I guess it fits. He wouldn't mind it if Ashley called him by his childhood nickname, if that's what she liked. Her second statement about tea did catch him off guard, though. "What?" Benji gasped playfully in fake shock. While coffee was no doubt his favorite of the two, he occasionally enjoyed a cup of green tea when he visited his father back home. "Maybe you just haven't found the right kind of tea yet. Or maybe I was just raised to be a tea apologist. ...It's probably the last one," Benjamin replied, laughing once more. 

"There's a lot of stuff you can do in New York. Even if you don't like museums like I do, there's Broadway, shopping, parks. And the food. Well, you already know how I feel about that." Ben's smile fell a bit as he recalled all the memories he experienced in the Empire state. He had left his home away from home only a few days ago, and the homesickness was already starting to set in. And then there was Okinawa, his first home. It wasn't easy leaving all of his old friends behind at OU. Ben quickly changed the subject to something more positive before he could get too wrapped up in these thoughts. "You have a lot of hobbies. What do you like to read? And do you sing or play instruments? I guess you could do both. Um, I never got into psychology, but you make it seem really interesting." His eyes widened when Ashley mentioned her major. "You're majoring in law? So am I!" In fact, he was planning on visiting the library later to see if any of the books he would need for class were available. When Ashley apologized for rambling, he held up his hands in a calming gesture. "Don't feel bad. This chat we've been having has been the highlight of my day so far."

After Ashley was done ordering her coffee, Benjamin placed an order of his own. He took a moment to browse the variety of baked goods the coffee shop offered in addition to coffee. "Those lemon bars look amazing. I'll have one of those too," he told the cashier. In response, the cashier suggested, "If you don't mind waiting about ten minutes, we can bring out a fresh batch for you." Ben agreed to the deal. He could use the extra time to catch his breath and check out his new favorite locale on campus. Ben noticed that Ashley ordered her coffee to go. He didn't want to hold her up, as much as he enjoyed their conversation thus far. "Hope to see you around too, Ashley. Maybe we have some of the same classes?" He couldn't know for sure, but it was possible. "If not, you could probably find me here between classes."

((Bleh, this took me sooo long to write!))

[SIZE=11pt]“Mmm Peppermint Mocha does sound good. Another seasonal favorite of mine is a Pumpkin Spice latte.” Ashley smiled. “Maybe I haven’t found the right kind of tea. I have only tried it once or twice.” Ashley giggles when he laughs at him being a tea apologist. “There are worse things than loving tea, I am sure.”[/SIZE]

[SIZE=11pt] [/SIZE]

[SIZE=11pt]She listened to him talk about New York and just nodded. Then when he asked more details about her hobbies, she responded, “I like to read romance and mystery novels. They are my favorite, but I will give any book a try. I love to sing and I play guitar. I also love to dance. Psychology isn’t appealing at first, but it is so interesting to be able to tell why people do things subconsciously and how to help people who are having mental issues with certain situations. I may just be weird to like it, but hey, everyone likes different things.” Ashley shrugs her shoulders. Then she smiles at his compliment, “Glad I can brighten your day some.”[/SIZE]

[SIZE=11pt] [/SIZE]

[SIZE=11pt]They brought out her coffee, and she smiled and thanked the barista. Then she turned back to Benji, “We may, but I wouldn’t know for sure. It is my third year, so I am mainly into the Law classes now, because I took all of my generic classes first. If not, I am sure we could see each other here, or in the library. Here, let me give you my number, in case you need any help again,” she stated as she winked lightheartedly. She pulled out a piece of paper and pen, and wrote down her cell and handed it to him. “Have a great afternoon. I would stay, but I really need to study for an exam.” At that, she turned around and walked out and turned towards the library. She was proud of herself, and glad she had made a new friend. Maybe this would be a good year after all.[/SIZE]

"Oh stop, you're gonna make me drool," Benjamin pleaded jokingly at Ashley's mention of pumpkin spice lattes. Another seasonal treat he enjoyed was pumpkin spiced... well, anything really. But pumpkin spice mocha lattes were at the top of the list. Ben found it strange how his relationship with Ashley thus far seemed to be based mostly on their love beverages. Strange, but pleasant nonetheless. And speaking of beverages... "Yeah, there's all kinds of teas out there. Green, white, black, floral. Since you're a coffee drinker, you might like chai." If he ever got the opportunity, Ben would have to share one of the chai tea recipes he got from his aunt with Ashley to see if she would like it. "And yeah, there are. You could be like my dad and be a total tea snob," he said, the accusation more of a teasing jab at his father than an insult. 

"Let's see, I read a lot of Case Closed growing up, but I guess that's more like a detective manga instead of a novel. Um... oh! There's always Eoin Coffer's or Tom Clancy's works. Those were really good. Kinda makes me want to go to the library at check some of them out to read again." How he would manage to binge read his childhood favorites while maintaining his course load was beyond him. "Wow, you're really talented. I always wanted to learn how to play an instrument, but I guess I don't have the brain for it. And yeah, how'd the saying go? Different strokes for different folks. It's cool to have 'weird' interests. I've got plenty, believe me. And they're no where nearly as helpful as psychology." 

Benjamin thanked the barista and sipped at his latte as Ashley prepared to leave. "I guess we'll find out soon enough. It'd be nice having a study partner in case we do, though." Most of his credits for the general courses had thankfully transferred over. He did recall that he had an upcoming exam in one of his classes. Maybe that's the same class Ashley is studying for? I really hope so, we're getting along so well. I'd hate for this to be the last time we see each- oh my gosh she's giving me her number? Determined to play it cool, Ben gripped his coffee cup as Ashley wrote down her digits, rather than doing a double take or collapsing on the ground. "Um, that'd be great. Thanks, Ashley." He accepted the paper and took a moment to glance over the string of numbers, determined to commit them to memory should he lose it. It was a rare thing for Ben to receive a number from the opposite sex, and so freely at that. As she made for the door, Benjamin called after Ashley, "I understand. Have fun studying, and have a nice day yourself."

Moments after Ashley had left, the lemon bars were ready and the barista called out Ben's name. He barely heard the announcement. Ben was equally unaware of the smile pulling at his face as he finally sat down with his now half-empty cup of coffee and lemon square. Things had really turned around since that morning, for the better. 

Ashley walked to the library, thinking about how well the day has gone. She didn't know if she would even be able to keep focus on studying. She decided she was going to look more into his home, his true home, and see about his culture and learn more about him, or at least where he is from. She really needed to focus on the exam though. 

She reached the library and went inside. She found a couple of books to help her on the exam, and went to sit at a computer. She started to study for the exam, but then found her self looking up OU and other details from Okinawa, Japan. She found it interesting and intriguing. After a few minutes she made herself get back to studying for the exam. She would look around every now and then, or stand up and take a stretch break. The exam was difficult because it was an exam that was regarding the constitutional laws, and she didn't just have to know the laws in and out, but had to explain why the laws were there. There were all sorts of questions on the exam, and even a short essay involved. She hoped that she would pass it. 

She used the computer to type up the laws and why she thought they were there, and used books to back up her thoughts, and if she couldn't find anything in the books to help her on one of the laws, she looked it up online. She always thought that writing things out would help her commit them to memory. She was the type to make up her own mock tests, and make some flash cards, and type up essays that she thought would help her on tests. She was studious, and didn't like to fail. She figured if she could come up with a mock test as hard as she could imagine, then maybe it would make the actual exam easier. 

She was starting to get tired, and got up to walk around a minute, and swap out a couple of the books. She couldn't help but look around. Part of her hoped Benji was there, although, why would he be? She hasn't ever wanted someone to be around before, so what was wrong with her now? Did he work some Japanese magic or something on her, because she wasn't being herself. She laughed to herself thinking he worked some magic, she was just being silly. She must need to get out more, and that was the better explanation.

Nearly fifteen minutes had passed since Ashley and Benjamin had parted ways. The latter, now resting comfortably in a booth at the coffee shop, finished off his lemon bar as he focused on his phone. Following through with his promise, Ben signed up for notifications from the university to stay in the loop for any other announcements. He then opened up his Contacts menu and imported Ashley's number to the list. He never got her last name, but thankfully she was his only contact with the name Ashley. Is it too soon to text her? Benji wondered as he downed the remnants of his caramel latte. After giving it some thought, Ben navigated away from the Contacts menu. Ashley was probably hard at work studying for her exam. From their short time together, Ben got the impression that Ashley was the studious type, bent on excelling in all of her classes, unwilling to accept failure as an option. He didn't want to interrupt her during her study session. And what's more, he didn't want Ashley to tire too quickly of him, or get the impression that he was getting too clingy. Just play it cool for now, Benji counselled himself, putting aside his yearnings to reconnect with Ashley. You don't want to look like a lost puppy, do you?

A ping! from his phone pulled Ben from his thoughts. It was a notification. That was quick, Benji thought as he navigated to his email. Apparently, the university library had received the books Ben requested for his classes. If he didn't collect them in the next few days, they would be returned or other students would be allowed to check them out. Benjamin weighed his decisions. What if he ran into Ashley there? Would she really believe that he just happened to be at the library the same time she was? Wait, why was he feeling so self-conscious about seeing Ashley again? Their conversation that morning had been nothing but pleasant. That was exactly it. What if he did something to mess things up between them? Urghhh, Benji moaned, thinking of the many ways those inner machinations could materialize into embarrassing realities. Placing his head in his hands, Benjamin considered his other option. He would more than likely forget about the books if he procrastinated picking them up, which would put his studies at a major disadvantage. And if he had to drop out due to failing grades, well, that would pose even more problems. The second option held more weight; he would pay a quick trip to the library. Benjamin collected his belongings, threw away his trash in the waste bin, and began making his way to the library. 

The moment he stepped outside into the fresh morning air, Ben's nose began to tingle and he emitted a powerful sneeze. It may as well have been a fire alarm, given its loudness and intensity. Shocked, a few students gave Ben a questioning look as if to say Dude, you gotta get that checked out. Ben smiled apologetically before quickening his pace. He had hoped that his new allergy medicine would live up to its claims of 24-hour relief, but apparently it only held up a few hours longer than his older medication. Sighing, he wondered if he would be able to keep it together long enough for him to get his books and make it back to his dorm to take another dose.

[SIZE=11pt]As Ashley was exchanging books out, she heard a loud sneeze and felt sorry for whoever did that in the library. She decided to peek and see who it was, and her mouth dropped open and she covered it with her hand. After the other students returned to their own projects, and she felt he had enough time to let the embarrassment die down, she decided to check on him.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=11pt] [/SIZE]

[SIZE=11pt]Ashley walked over to where he was and tapped him on the shoulder. “You okay? That was some sneeze, and I know you had to be embarrassed. Don’t feel bad, I was walking one day when there was an event in the garden area, and I fell down in some mud, and everyone laughed, so I know how you feel.”[/SIZE]

[SIZE=11pt] [/SIZE]

[SIZE=11pt]Ashley gave him a smile, and decided it was best to change the subject. “So, how was your coffee and lemon bar? My coffee was great, and my studying so far has been, well, it has been okay I guess. I keep getting distracted.” She smiled, and blushed a little. She didn’t know why she was telling him so much. “I am making myself mock tests, and essays, and trying to make it harder than the professor would. Here I go rambling again.” She giggled at herself. Would he want to be her friend anymore as annoying as she is being? She wanted to just kick herself for the way she was acting. Was she being too obvious and pushy, and was she approaching him way too soon and looking desperate for socialization? She really had to keep from slapping her face in her hand and walking away. Instead, she decided to smile at him and hope that she was still brightening his day.[/SIZE]

Just as Benjamin was recovering from his sneeze, he felt a tap upon his shoulder. Probably the librarian kicking me out for making too much noi- "Ashley?" Benjamin's mouth gaped a notch or two before he noticed and bit his lower lip to recover. Inner Machination #57 had come true: his allergies came back to haunt him. "Um, yeah. I'm okay. Sorry for bugging you again." Play it cool was quickly becoming his new mantra, and he was determined to abide by it. Benji smiled as Ashley attempted to cheer him up for the second time that day. Some people were just too good for this world. Then, he tried, but failed, not to chuckle as she recalled her own embarrassing  mishap at the garden area. "That sounds... pretty terrible, haha. I guess these things happen to the best of us. I dunno, I try not to beat myself up too much when things like this happen. It's just... I feel like these things always happen to me. If it's not my allergies acting up, I'm getting lost because I forgot to sign up for university notifications. It's like I'm super klutzy or something." Ben stopped mid-way, not meaning to divulge so much to someone he only met recently. Ashley couldn't possibly find what he was saying interesting, anyway. He cleared his throat. "Ah, well. You're right. It's not something I should be too worried about. A-anyway, thanks for the pep speech, Coach. If you weren't already studying to be a lawyer, I'd say you'd make an awesome counselor. Or... what do you call them? A motivational speaker, ahaha," Benji laughed, the joyfulness returning to his voice once more. 

As Ashley moved the conversation along, Benjamin replied, "They were great! I plan on going back there soon. You know, I might have to think about getting a job there so I can keep on budget." The latte, though incredibly tasty, did not come cheap. Ben had some funds saved from completing summer jobs at his aunt's practice, but hadn't yet to secure another job since he moved to Washington, D.C. "Distracted, huh?" He wondered what could distract Ashley from her work? "Maybe you could concentrate better if you had a study partner? Um, I was just gonna check on my books. But once I'm done, I could stick around for a while if you think that would work?" he suggested, willing to help Ashley like she helped him so many times already.

((Ahhh~, these two are so cute!))

"You aren't bugging me, I came over to you, silly." Ashley giggled. "I would make a horrible motivational speaker considering I don't ever talk to people. For some reason, the Universe decided that you would see a rare side of me, but I am normally very shy and reserved. As for my incident, it was horrible, but I am still all fine and well, and those people have pretty much forgotten about it now, as I am sure people have already forgotten about your sneeze. I understand what you are saying though, as it used to happen to me a lot too. As for being a counselor, I don't think I could handle it." Ashley shrugs.

"Yes, I waitress at a little restaurant off campus. It isn't much but people usually tip well. Most things are fairly expensive around here." Ashley smiles. "Yeah, just distracted by other things on the internet. It can be helpful, but can also be distracting. I wouldn't mind a study buddy, but I wouldn't ask you to, if you needed to do other things." She smiled at him. She didn't want to sound desperate, but she would enjoy having someone around to bounce ideas off of and have that person quiz her some. Sometimes having someone else helps a person see things that he or she is missing. 

Ashley smiles and walks over to where he would get his books, and shows him the quickest and easiest way to get them, since she knew the people who worked there. It didn't take but about five minutes and he had his book. She noticed one of the law books. "Well, we might just have some classes together after all. Do you have Advanced Torts: Law and Practice LAW 7049 with Professor Stinson? That is the class I am studying for actually, and it uses that same book." Ashley smiles and points to the book she is talking about. "He is a great professor, but a hard class. Tomorrow is the first day of class, and in the emails, he stated to be ready to have an exam on the Constitutional laws tomorrow."

((Yes they are))

"Heh heh, well... yeah," Benjamin replied, his voice little more than a bashful whisper. Once again, Ashley had cornered him with her logic. She definitely had the makings of a lawyer. As Ashley ventured on with the conversation, Ben couldn't help but raise an eyebrow. "Really?" he responded quizzically. Shy and reserved weren't exactly the words he would use to describe the Ashley he had gotten to know. But in a way, he could understand. 

On the topic of jobs, Benjamin searched his mind for any restaurants located near the campus. There were a few that matched Ashley's description, and Ben felt confident that she would fill him in on the remaining details later. "Sounds cool. I could visit you there sometime... unless that would be awkward." Ben knew from experience just how awkward it would be meeting friends or relatives while on the clock, depending on the individual and how big of a fuss they wanted to make. He wondered if Ashley would mind. When Ashley suggested the possibility of them becoming study buddies, Ben could only nod enthusiastically. "That'd be cool with me! I didn't have much else planned for today." His allergies only seemed to act up when he went outside for more than thirty seconds. He should be all right sitting in the library for a few hours.

Ben followed Ashley as she sped him through the checkout process, once again impressed by her capabilities and connections she had amassed during her time at Georgetown. Minutes later, they regrouped to the study area. "Stinton?" The name did ring a bell, as did the course title and number. "Actually, I think I do," Ben continued as he pulled up his schedule to double check. He confirmed their suspicions with a firm nod, only to look up at Ashley in shock when he heard news of their test the next day. "T-tomorrow?! How much of our grade will be impacted, do you know?" In that moment, Ben wanted to fade away. He really did. He generally checked his emails only once or twice a week, though that had been hampered by his hectic week of moving his belongings into his new dorm and getting settled around campus. "Guess we better get started, huh? I get the feeling I could really benefit from those mock tests you made up."

"Sure, come hang out anytime. I don't worry too much about people I know coming and eating. That's not awkward to me. I think it would be cool. It is a restaurant called The Modern Ambience. Weird name I know, but it is a cozy little restaurant. It has awesome food." Ashley smiled. "It is also cheaper than a lot of restaurants like it, which is a plus." 

She smiled and as they were walking to the area she was studying in, "I don't think it is a huge part of the grade. A friend of mine had him before she graduated and she said there were tests every week, so don't fret if you do bad on one test as long as you do well on the others. She said he was difficult though, because he feels only the smart and determined minds should be lawyers." Ashley shrugged and got out her mock tests and note cards. "However, no worries because we will both be experts by tomorrow." She giggles and hands him the mock tests and essay she wrote. "Oh and the test has a short essay at the end."

"The Modern Ambiance," Benjamin repeated out loud, stressing the syllables of each word to assist in memorization. "Awesome! I'll pay you a surprise visit one day. That day might be sooner than later, though. I've been meaning to check out some new digs around town, and cheap is my favorite price. Other than free, of course."  If there was one thing he knew from being a college student, it was that eating at the campus cafeteria day after day, meal after meal, was less than ideal. Variety, after all, was the spice of life. And speaking of spice, Ben couldn't tell from the name of the restaurant, but he hoped that it served spicy foods. He'd find out soon enough, whenever he'd managed a trip to TMA. "Hopefully it'll be a lot easier to find than that coffee shop. But if it is, I know who to call now." Ben concluded the final sentence with a playful nod in Ashley's direction. 

Sighing in relief, Benjamin replied, "Well, that's one thing I don't have to worry about." With a new test every week, he should be able to recover in the event that he scored poorly on the one scheduled for the next day. As they convened in the area where Ashley was previously studying, Ben accepted her hand-written mock test and took a seat at the table. His eyes quickly glanced over the papers before him, and he nodded in recognition at the assorted terminology related to Constitutional law. Good, so I'm not completely at a loss here. There were a few things he could use a refresher on, but that's what study partners were for, right? He cracked Ashley a smile as when mentioned the short essay towards the end of the test. "Heh heh, is it weird that I actually like the essay portion of exams?" "I'm at my best whenever I'm writing. Whenever I have to answer multiple choice questions I tend to get confused. And then there's those times where the answer to every question on a page is B, or something. And I feel all weird and self-conscious because all the answers are the same. Ugh, the worst. Essays are much simpler." 

Ashley nods and smiles. "You can't find free much these days and it be legitimate. It isn't too hard to find, it is on the road that you turn onto when you leave campus. You just turn left and it is about a mile away on the right. Hard to miss. They serve a little bit of everything. They sometimes come out with new original dishes, which is where the Modern part of the name came from." She smiled, and wanted to kick herself for rambling again. 

"I completely agree with you. I love the essays as well. Either essays or where we write the answers in. Multiple choice questions can be too tricky. They make me second guess myself and I end up choosing the wrong one, when I initially would have chosen the right answer." She smiles, and hands him her mock essay to read. She then starts asking him some questions about the material to continue studying. "I am pretty confident about this test since it is something we have been studying since Elementary school here." She smiles. 

"Are there any questions or any suggestions based on what you have read of mine so far?" She was always second guessing herself, until she felt really confident in her knowledge. She was silly for being paranoid so much, as she usually studied enough that she knew it really well, but there was always a chance that a professor would throw something in that would throw her off, isn't there?

"Right? Unless it's one of those free samples they give you at the mall. And all that does is make you wanna buy more of whatever you got," Ben replied somewhat stormily. He'd fallen for that trap more times than he would care to admit, and paid a fortune because of it. Ben shook his head, as if doing so would help rid him of the memories that were clouding his mind. In their place, he began making mental notes of the instructions to the restaurant as Ashley dictated them. The instructions themselves were simple enough to follow, and Ben felt confident that he would be able locate the establishment. Going on, Ben's brown eyes shone with amusement as he made the connection. "Oh, I get it. The Modern Ambiance. Pretty clever!" Whoever came up with that sure had a thing for titles. "So, what's your favorite dish over there?" Ben ventured, leaning slightly forward in Ashley's direction without realizing it. He was curious as to which foods Ashley enjoyed. She had already shared about her penchant for mocha lattes. Did she have a sweet tooth in general? Or was that only limited to coffee? There was so much yet to discover about his newfound friend. "And you know me, I have to ask about how good the coffee is," Ben added with a low chuckle. Given their current location, Ben had to be wary of his volume level... especially given his earlier allergy-induced mishap.

Their talks about test questions brought to his attention something Ashley had mentioned previously. "You said you enjoyed reading in your spare time. Maybe that's why we like essays so much. I read somewhere that people who enjoy reading as a hobby are more likely to be better writers. I can see how that's true." When Ashley causally stated that she had studied this material from her youth, Ben arched an eyebrow in surprise. "Elementary school?" he repeated. "That's something else. Is that for all Americans, or did your parents enroll you in a private school for that competency? Maybe I'm misunderstanding since I'm still learning about your culture." The final statement came out a little shaky, as the secondary educational systems of their two countries were so dissimilar. He hoped that Ashley wouldn't mind following up with her statement.

Benjamin nodded his approval when asked for a critique of Ashley's mock exam.  "It's pretty solid from what I can tell, considering you didn't have much to go on." Given that they hadn't even started class with Professor Stinton or taken any of his tests, Ashley had nevertheless done an excellent job at covering the possible material they could be tested on. "Would you mind if I took a copy home with me to go over? I could really use something like this for when we're done here."

((Sorry, was Ashley saying that she was learning about law in elementary school? That's okay (and super interesting) if that's the case, I'm just trying to make sure I'm understanding things correctly, lol.)) 

"Yeah, those are very tricky samples. Just like sales are meant for you to buy more and more." Ashley grins, "My favorite dish is Ghost Pepper Chili. It is delicious and spicy. We have a menu that is categorized by taste, such as sweet, spicy, salty, bland, bitter, and so on. This way if people like certain tastes, they can choose from a selection of foods with that taste. We also have pages that have combinations of tastes, like sweet and salty, for instance. My favorite dessert there has to be the cheesecake. You can get a whole lot of different toppings on it and they encourage you to come up with your own creation. I also like the dish we call the "heart attack" dessert, not the best name, but it has chocolate brownie, vanilla ice cream, chocolate syrup, caramel, marshmallows, chocolate chips, and whipped cream." She giggles and her mouth waters just thinking about it. She knew it wasn't healthy to eat as sweet as it was, but every now and then wouldn't hurt, right? "The coffee is good, just plain coffee since we aren't a coffee shop, and there is tea also, but we have all sorts of drinks to choose from too. We have alcoholic and non-alcoholic drinks too." 

"Yeah, reading could have a lot to do with it, because they always say reading helps with grammar and vocabulary too, so since that should come easy for us, maybe we enjoy it?" Ashley shrugs. "We just studied the constitution in Elementary school. It was this in depth, we just had to know the basic laws and mostly the amendments. It wasn't hard. I did go to private school, but I think the public schools studied it as well. They just may have waited until secondary school." Ashley smiles and nods. "I don't mind at all. Hopefully it will help you. I may overdo it, and not have to go through all this trouble, but I feel it helps me prepare more." Ashley continues studying a little more. She is happy to have a study buddy, and feels that it is helping her stay focused, because he is here, and she isn't wondering about him instead. She blushes at the though, and hopes he doesn't notice. What has happened to her today? Is she already having a crush on someone she just met. She is so inexperienced she wouldn't really know. She really didn't want to ruin their friendship by pushing it forward though, at least not too soon. She shook her head a little trying to clear her head of this thinking so that she could concentrate on school.

((Not studying law, just the constitution. Sorry, I should have specified. I think that some schools have students study the Constitution as part of the Social Studies curriculum. Since the first test is on constitutional law, I thought it would probably include the amendments and other points from the constitution.))

"Ghost Pepper Chili? Isn't that one of the hottest foods in the world? Oh man, now I have to try it out." Benjamin's allergies, he found, were somewhat abated by spicy foods, especially the ones that included peppers. The Modern Ambiance gained even more credence with Benjamin as his study companion continued to share about its many food and beverage offerings: sweet, salty, spicy, bitter, even combo flavors. By the time Ashley had gotten to the desserts, it took everything Ben had not to drop everything and locate his bib, knife and fork. Normally, he would have a second, or third, or fourth cup of coffee or tea for his dessert. But, just as he enjoyed his lemon bar earlier that day, Ben would sometimes indulge in a sweet treat after meals. And the way Ashley described the aptly named "heart attack" dessert had him intrigued. "The Modern Ambiance sounds like the place to be," Ben replied dreamily, his mind still reeling from the sheer amount of ingredients in the heart attack dessert. "Maybe we could swing by there together? Like, after we take our test tomorrow? It could be our own celebration feast!" He was unaware of the exact hours Ashley worked at TMA, so he hoped his plans wouldn't interfere with her schedule. 

Benjamin dipped his head in an affirmative gesture as Ashley provided a further explanation of the reading-writing phenomenon. "And of course the psychology buff knows the reasoning behind it," he stated teasingly with a lop-sided grin. As Ashley agreed to let him take the tests home, Benji smiled gratefully and began to collect the papers into a neat stack on the table. As he unzipped his backpack and placed the tests in a spare folder, Benji added, "This will be a huge help, trust me. And there's nothing wrong with being prepared. You could be like I was an hour ago and have no idea there would even be a test tomorrow." He began to add his library books to the bag when something caught his eye. Alarm ran through Benjamin's core as Ashley's face began to flush red. "Hey, are you okay?" he asked, worry clearly apparent in his tone. "Are you running a fever? I could find you some water, or see if I can open a window." As if to back up his claims, Ben straightened up in his seat, prepared to take off if needed. 

((Gotcha. Thanks for clearing that up! ^^ )) 

"Yes, it is extremely spicy. I would love to go tomorrow. I am off tomorrow so we will have plenty of time." Ashley nodded and smiled. She would rather take him on her night off so she could sit and talk to him more. She knew the menu really well and could steer him to the right choices, or at least in her opinion. Her stomach growled a little just thinking about food. She had skipped breakfast and so hadn't had food yet. She wanted to get the studying done though, so she ignored her angry stomach. She studied her flash cards a little, while he put the mock tests in his bag. She felt pretty confident about the test, but wanted to help Benji study since he had only had an hour to study so far. "Want to see the flash cards too? I feel confident so if you need to borrow all my study materials I don't mind at all," she states as she hands him everything she had made for studying. If she studied much more, she would just worry herself and make her nervous. This would most likely make her question herself more.

Ashley giggles at him talking about not knowing about the test. "Well, there may be a few that have no clue. I just check emails religiously. I am too afraid to miss something exciting or important." Ashley shrugs. Then she shakes her head and blushes more because he noticed her blush. "I feel fine. Just blushing a little to be honest. I do that sometimes. Nothing is wrong, I promise. Thank you for being so concerned though." She smiles at him and then continues studying. "I am getting a little hungry however, so what do you think about moving this study session to the cafe on the other side of campus?" Ashley gives him a raised eyebrow as she gives him the invitation to join her. The cafe is good, better than the cafeteria, but they were only open for about four hours a day and served basic foods like chicken tenders, sandwiches, and burgers. She didn't mind that though, because it was usually a good quick option between classes.

"Sounds like a plan," Benji cheerfully replied, elated at the prospect of a meeting with Ashley over dinner. Like Ashley, he would also have time off the following day. The majority of his classes occurred early in the morning, long before his rendezvous with Professor Stinton and his exam. An online English course was the lone exception, of which he could access at any point in time he chose. Not all classes offered such flexibility, however, as Benjamin was still faced with the predicament of studying for Stinton's exam. Thankfully, he was aided once again by his study partner, who extended a bundle of self-prepared flash cards in his direction. Benjamin accepted the cards with a snicker. "There's no way you're getting anything but an A++ on this exam, you know that right?" Ben remarked playfully as he glanced over the stack of cards, admiring the detail put into each one. By studying the cards in addition to the mock test, Benjamin was feeling increasingly confident about his first week of classes. He would have to think of a way to repay Ashley for all her help thus far. 

Benjamin relaxed in his seat as Ashley reassured him that all was well. "Oh, okay. I used to break out with fevers all the time when I was a kid, so I got worried the same thing was happening to you. Sorry, I guess I was over-reacting there. I'm just glad you're okay," he finished with a soft smile. I wonder what she was blushing about? Benji wondered. He didn't have much time to ponder the thought, as Ashley had invited him to the cafe. "Sure! I'm always in if food's involved. And we could quiz each other while we eat," he suggested, waving the flash cards in the air with a flourish. "But would you mind if I make a quick stop by my dorm first? I need to take my next dose of allergy meds pretty soon." Benjamin didn't want to experience a repeat of the sneezing fits he endured an hour ago, especially while they were going out to eat. Stopping by his room would also give Ben the chance to drop off some of the books he got from the library that they wouldn't need for their study session. "I'll be super quick," he added, hoping that Ashley would understand.  

((Sorry for taking a while to reply. And I'm going somewhere with this, I promise lol.))

Ashley shrugged when Benji mentioned her acing the test, "I really hope so. I just hope I don't second guess myself too much." Ashley hated tests because they made her nervous and second guess herself too often. Most of the time when she did second guess herself she would change it to the wrong answer when she had it right to begin with, which was very frustrating. She was glad Benji could use the study materials she made, and hoped it would help him ace the test. She actually had three classes tomorrow, and would be done by lunchtime. "Do you want to go for lunch tomorrow or would dinner be best for you? I am done with classes at 1." Ashley didn't know his schedule other than he had Stinton's class with her.  She didn't mind either way. "I have a copy of the menu I will bring to you in class tomorrow. That way you can look it over before we get there if you want. Maybe in class, we can sit beside each other. " Ashley smiled hoping that she wasn't babbling or being too pushy.

Ashley couldn't help but to giggle at Benji getting so worked up over her blush, and felt kinda bad she worried him. "Thank you for your concern, but I am fine. I usually don't get fevers, as I have a high immune system."  Ashley debated on telling him why she was blushing, but decided not to, because she didn't want to push away the only friend she has right now. Her other best friend graduated last year and has moved across the country, so she only gets to talk to her through FaceTime or texting. Ashley smiled that he accepted her invitation. "Sure, I don't mind quizzing each other at all." When he mentioned stopping by his dorm to get some medicine, she decided to see if he had a sense of humor, "Already trying to get me into your dorm on the first day we meet, man you work fast." She giggled and winked at him. "Of course I don't mind, we can stop by your dorm. As long as I get food in the next hour or so, I will be fine."

(no worries)

Upon hearing that she was still slightly worried about not doing well on the exam, Benjamin offered Ashley a reassuring smile. "You'll do fine, just have a little faith. You made it this far, haven't you?" In Benjamin's view, tests weren't always the best way to evaluate someone's understanding of a subject. Some people were naturally bad test-takers, or struggled with self-guessing themselves like Ashley seemed to. But with the amount of studying they were putting in over time, Ben couldn't help but feel a little hopeful about their outcome. "And even if you do poorly tomorrow, it's only the first test. You'll learn and do better on the next one. But that's a big 'if'. A++, I'm telling you," Ben ended confidently, as if he were wagering a bet that he knew with great certainty that he would win. Moving on to the topic of when they should plan to visit The Modern Ambiance, Ben replied, "How about we do lunch? Most of my classes are in the morning, so my evenings are free. And I don't think I could hold out for that Ghost Pepper chili all the way until dinnertime." His mouth was beginning to water slightly at the thought of that first big bite Ben would take of the meal. "That's fine with me, we can sit together. In fact, that's kind of what I was counting on. I'll save you a seat if I get there early," he added, believing that Ashley would be willing to do the same for him. "And that'd be great, thanks! I already have in mind some of the things I wanna try out, but I can't pass up the chance to see what else they have on the menu."

At the idea that Benjamin was inviting Ashley to his dorm for some reason other than to get his medicine, Benjamin felt his cheeks begin to warm. Apparently, it was his turn to start blushing. Chuckling slightly, he replied, "Well, an invitation to my place is the least I can do for a friend. Mi casa es su casa, and all that jazz." He then preoccupied himself with collecting their study materials into his bag, trying his best to hide his flushed features from view. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back