Lost Mine of Phandelver

Status
Not open for further replies.
Calal dips his head slightly, tucking one hand into his pocket. "I am...ok. How are you?" He questions softly, bringing a hand up to keep the sun out of his eyes with a harsh noise. "Are all towns like this?"

After offering the group food and rest, Qelline approaches Fuska, looking up at him with a stern expression that quickly softens.

"No, it's OK. I'm not mad about the sword, though my shins are harboring a grudge. It was very sweet of you. He's done nothing but swing that sword around and talk about how he wants to be just like you when he grows up. I don't have the heart to tell him that at best he'll still be about 4 feet shorter than you. But thank you."

She begins to walk off into the farmyard, carrying a bucket and limping every so slightly, when she turns.

"Maybe you could teach him how to use that thing, yeah? Before he slays my good dishes."

Merimar nodded, "I'm glad we managed to get those prisoners to safety. I just hope the Redbrands don't kill any more townsfolk." Merimar noticed the way Calal was shielding his eyes from the sun and felt concerned. At Calal's mention of Phandelin, Merimar sighed, "It seems to be one of the smaller towns but a lot of places are like this. Pretty much reliant on good people not standing by and doing nothing when people like the Redbrands roll into town." Nearing where they'd left the wolves the last time, Merimar stretched out her shoulders under her leather armor, "Though hopefully now we're here, the Redbrands won't be a problem much longer. Guess it's time for you to do your thing and be the Wolf Whisperer."

Calal rolls his eyes. "Not a wolf whisperer, but we should bring a pig. They might be annoyed if we do not bring food." He mutters. "And we need to make sure they do ok in the barn and do not hurt anyone."

Merimar thought for a moment, "We can get a pig on the way back, let them eat in the barn." suggested the cleric, with a hint of something in her voice. She looked away a second, but then looked back to Calal.

Fuska smiles when Qelline tells him of Carp’s enthusiasm, and his eyes light up at the mention of teaching the boy. “I can teach him a lot of things, like how to respect your mother.” Fuska chuckles, before his expression fades into one of somber thoughtfulness. “Although...it’s probably best to wait until after this Redbrand business is done. I wouldn’t want him getting cocky enough to think he can take them on.”

As Qelline walks off, Fuska turns to any of the remaining party and saying, “I’m going to the inn. Gonna warn the town.” And Fuska sets off towards the town with whoever else is heading that direction.

Seeing the wolves come the moment Calal called them, Merimar was glad to see that they all seemed to be unharmed this time. Walking back to the barn, Merimar felt uneasy. She knew she wasn't going to be able to use her magic until she'd had some rest but she also knew the odds were that the Redbrands would come after them sooner rather than later.

Reaching the barn, Merimar walked along with Calal and the wolves. "Should probably keep their instructions simple," Merimar advised as she found a stack of hay and sat down on it, "No killing the farm animals, no killing us, keep a watch over us and if they sense Redbrands wake us up." the half-orc suggested. With a yawn, she curled up a little on the hay, "I'm sorry Calal, I think I need to sleep. Be ... safe." With that, the cleric closed her eyes and was soon fast asleep.

Calal glances around warily, telling the wolves their instructions and getting them settled. He glances around for a few moments before moving to sit on the pile of hay above her head to silently keep watch for a few hours. About three hours later, he reaches to his belt for one of his daggers. He rests the hilt in his hands, before leaning his head back against the hay. A few moments and a whispered prayer in Elven later, he rests his head against the hay and closes his eyes to trance.

Hearing Fuska state his direction, Vutha nodded, "I will follow."

Walking through the village the lizardfolk kept a hand on her shortbow, watching if any Redbrands would make their appearance, the townsfolk still seeming to be waking up. Entering into the inn it seemed fairly empty as well. Baring her teeth for a moment in her equivalent of a frown she climbed on top of one of the nearby tables, raising her voice: "We fought the Red Brands this morning. We killed some, and rescued people from them. Defeated the monster in their basement." Her head tilted as she looked across the people, "Still some left, still some captive -- no doubt will try to strike back."

Pulling out the spear she'd made from the wolf only a few days ago she slammed the point down into the table, "But! Also stole weapons from them, weapons you can hold, look intimidating," she bared her teeth, "even if never use weapons." Pacing on the small table she continued, "Tribe, village -- same as nature, same as swamps. Predators are few -- intimidated by many baring their fangs together. Can give weapons, can protect. Need only bare fangs." She gestured to Fuska -- nearly matching his usual height from being on the table -- and to herself: "We will do fighting, but need strong face! Defend territory, save selves!"

The few people scattered among the various tables of the inn sit silently after Vutha's speech, looking at each other with raised eyebrows. After a moment of silence, the inn door, which had been partially open, bursts open the rest of the way, and Nars Dendrar runs in.

"What's wrong with you people?! We need to defend ourselves! The Redbrands had us in a cell. They were gonna sell us and feed our mom to a monster, and you people won't even fight for us! They're just gonna keep taking people!"

The bar patrons look surprised to see Nars, and the innkeeper's wife, Trilena Stonehill runs up to him, checking him for injuries, but they make no movement to stand and avoid Vutha's gaze. Nars pushes Trilena away and it about to make another plea, when the door bangs open again. This time it's Sildar and the townmaster, Harbin Wester, entering the inn, Nars' sister and mother in tow.

Sildar limps up to Vutha and Fuska, putting a hand on the shoulder of the big goliath. "Ah, you fellows are looking well. Mirna filled us in on what happened at the manor. She said there might still be some Redbrands up there. What can we --"

Harbin butts into the conversation. "You went up there and couldn't even finish the job?! You'll bring them all down upon us! What are you going to do?!"

Watching the younger scale-less seem to agree with her, Vutha nodded at his words, and internally sighed with relief when Sildar entered as well only to be interrupted by the panicked town leader.

Vutha rumbled in her throat as she knelt down to be on a closer level to Harbin's eyes, twisting her head to make sure she could see him eye to eye as she spoke: "Couldn't finish the job you were too terrified to even start? A leader that cowers in fear -- some leader." She snorted. "If were here earlier would have heard, is not what we will do that matters most." Standing she looked out at the crowd again, "Is what you will do."

Raising her lips slightly she looked down at Harbin, "Do you wish a leader easily feared? Or will you find a new one, a strong one, willing to fight for you?" Pulling her spear from the table she added, "At the very least with you?"

Fixing her gaze on Sildar she repeated, "We do not ask you fight -- only to look as though you will. There are not many left, but this is a territory you all need to protect yourselves. We will not stay forever, put fear into them and they never return. Predators look for easy prey, if too dangerous, too fickle, not worth effort."

Sildar nods sympathetically, and offers a hand to help Vutha down from the table. "I agree with you, but this is not the right way to go about it. The fact that you rescued the Dendrars is enough to lend you a little credit with the town. Let me gather the town. There are a few people here who can vouch for you. Let's address everyone at once, and we might be able to talk them into it." He waves a hand toward Myrna Dendrar and her children. "Some of us have even seen you in action. Qelline too. Speaking of which, Myrna said you took weapons from the Redbrands? Best bring those too. Let's meet at the Townmaster's Hall at sunset."

Harbin Wester begins to sputter and object, but Sildar holds up one finger to silence him. "Sunset. Does that work for you?" Sildar leans in toward the lizardfolk and mutters under his breath. "Don't worry about Wester. I'll deal with him."

Vutha rumbled again as she climbed down from the table, "Trying to rally now in case Redbrands learn what we did and strike. Be careful in wandering town."

She snorted before shrugging limply, "Others are resting, recovering. Will tell them plan on return." Returning her javelin to where it was stored she nodded at Fuska, "Let's go." Glancing at Sildar and the others she bowed her head briefly, tail flicking behind her, "Be safe."

Having rested for most of the day, the group reaches the townmaster's hall, recovered weapons in tow, and they can already hear the sounds of arguing from inside the hall. Qelline sighs, practically dragging a restless Carp who is swinging his wooden sword at anything and everything.

"I woulda guessed. Mostly this town can't agree on anything, asides from doing nothing and keeping the status quo. Sounds like you'll have your work cut out for you."

Entering the hall, they see rows of pews mostly filled with people. The majority are merely watching the spectacle, among them Barthen, Daran Edermath, and the Toblen Stonehill and his family, but several are shouting at each other. Harbin Wester sits at the front, red-faced and looking likely to burst, with Sildar on one side and the Dendrar family on the other. Linene Graywind also sits near the front on one end. Sildar is rubbing his temples with his fingers, and gives an apologetic smile when he sees the group. Qelline marches toward the front without hesitation, and Carp runs off squealing "Auntie Linene!" when he sees her. As the group approaches, Harbin leaps to his feet, but Qelline is quick to cut him off, easily drowning him out.

"We already know how you feel Harbin, so sit down." He hesitates, but then obeys. Qelline stands front and center. "I've only known these five for a couple days, since they saved my life the other night, you know, but they're good people. They're nice to children. They saved me. And they went up to that house for no other reason than to help us. The Dendrars woulda been killed, or worse, if not for these five, and the rest of us were content to just assume they ran off without a word, or their furniture or anything else. Poor Thal stood up to them and was killed for it. That'll be the rest of us before you know it!" Her face burns red as she scans the crowd, which seems hesitant to cross her at the moment, but the Dendrar children clap enthusiastically, Sildar raises an eyebrow, looking impressed, and Linene and Carp beam at her. Qelline turns back to the group, grinning. "All right I shut 'em up for you. Let 'em have it."

Seeing the group of villagers as she walked into the hall, Merimar felt a little nervous. 'This - is far larger than any congregation I've ever seen in my temple near Neverwinter,' thought the cleric to herself. Looking over her friends, Merimar weighed up who was most likely to speak. 'I can talk about The Shining One to try and encourage these people to defend themselves, but one of the others might have a better approach. Vutha might not talk much but when she does, she comes out with some pearls of wisdom. Ioanin talks a lot but his heart's in the right place. Fuska is a man of action more than words. Calal's a good balance of the group though.'

Gently putting a hand on Calal's shoulder, Merimar whispered into his ear, "Go on, you can do this. I believe in you."

Calal takes a deep, slow breath, forcing his dark eyes up to look at the townsfolk. In one movement, he pulls back his hood, drops his daggers onto the ground so he is clearly unarmed, and steps forward, keeping his hands up slightly. "Hello. I am glad to meet all of you, though I wish it was under better circumstances. My name is Calal Despani and, as I am sure that all of you have noticed, I'm a drow. No, I am not going to sick spiders on anyone or sacrifice small animals or children. I quite like animals, and children, though I am rather scared of spiders." He pauses, shifting for a moment before he continues. "I would like nothing more than to not have to bother you today. But your town is under attack, and all of you know it. The Red Brands are vicious and merciless and cruel. And I'm sure many of you know this better than I possibly could. This is your town, this has been your problem for a long time. But it shouldn't have to be. We," Here, he turns to gesture at the others, "We want to help you rid your town of them but it has to be that, us helping you and you helping us. We can't do this alone, and you shouldn't have to either. You shouldn't have to live in fear for your lives and your safety and that of those you love. Help us get rid of this evil so you and your children and your families can be safe." Calal hesitates, something tired flickering across his face that made him look far older than he was. "I'm not asking you to trust me. I understand why you don't. All I am asking is for you to stand up for yourselves, and for everyone who can't do that. Help us free your town. Please."

Hearing Calal speak, Ioanin nodded approvingly to the elf. He hadn’t always agreed with the dusky skinned man, but his passionate plea here moved even the aquatic warrior’s heart. Turning to face the crowd, Ioanin stepped forward with a serious expression, his freshly polished seastone green armor sparkling in the lights of the meeting hall. “I am Ioanin Flynn, Landwalker of the Narajutzpit people, second-born of Partronox the Tidebreaker, and Champion of Persana. I know these titles may mean little to thine assemblage, but they are accolades I bear with pride and with honor, and it is with the utmost of wariness that I must inform you of this. These Redbrand scoundrels consort with monsters the likes of which I have never before imagined. Thou people are slaughtered, thine women and children are captured and enslaved for Persana knows what purposes, and thou art willing to merely bow thine heads and watch?"

Ioanin's intense gaze swept over his audience, and he shook his head, slinging his warpick from his back and twirling it. "Nay, I say to thee, stand and fight, for thine foe shalt not be content until the whole village hath taken its final breaths. I ask thee not to fight out of hopes for a brighter future, or to unburden thyself for the chains that bind thee, but rather to fight for thine own survival, and for those thine love. Thine foes shalt not be content with riches or pleasure or whatever it is they seek to claim from thee when the mood strikes, but rather has aims darker and more nefarious than thou could imagine. Stand with me and mine companions, or allow this darkness to become thine reality." Having spoken his piece, Ioanin stepped back, although his intense expression remained.

Feeling someone moving behind her, Merimar glanced over her shoulder as Ioanin started speaking and noticed Calal behind her, trying to keep a low profile. "That was really good Calal," whispered Merimar with an encouraging smile over her shoulder before she turned her attention back to Ioanin's speech as she tried to think what she could add in case anyone wasn't convinced.

As Ioanin finished, Merimar glanced around the room, looking at the villagers before she started. "I'm Merimar Katis of Neverwinter, Cleric of The Shining One," said Merimar, raising her voice a little as she'd heard senior priestesses do during sermons, "What my friends have said is true." Merimar gave Calal a gentle pat on the shoulder but didn't move so he was still behind her, "Calal is no threat to you, if anything he's the best friend you could possibly have." Merimar nodded towards Ioanin, "Each of us will be fighting to free the village of the Redbrands and their foul plans. But we can't do it alone."

Merimar put her hand over her holy amulet, then thought better of it and held up so that it was more visible, a small gold sun in the palm of her mint green hand, "Nobody here will be standing alone. Ioanin just described the Redbrands plans as darkness and he's right. But each of you can shine by just standing up for yourselves. Those of you who believe in deities, they will lend you their strength. Those of you who don't, there's at least one deity who'll be standing beside you." Merimar raised her hand into the air, showing her holy amulet to the villagers, "I believe that the deities speak to us through signs and wonders, that anyone can see them if they listen. Our arrival here is a sign of how to defeat the Redbrands and stop any more deaths at their hands. It's a sign that now is the time to fight. So please, stand beside us."

Some of the townsfolk begin nodding thoughtfully as Calal speaks, and Ioanin's speech brings some shouts of agreement. By the time Meri speaks several of the townspeople are on their feet, wearing determined looks and patting each other on the back in encouragement, among them the butcher, Barthen, Sister Garaele, Linene. Carp is also waving his sword about and stabbing imaginary foes. Harbin Wester leaps to his feet and waves his arms at the crowd, trying to calm their emotions, but they drown out anything he has to say. Some still sit, arms crossed and looking anxious. The woman Fuska noticed before sits as well, but grins broadly and almost looks impressed by the speeches.

Sildar Hallwinter steps up next to him and puts a hand on his shoulder, then shrugs and raises his voice to speak. The crowd quiets to listen, but Toblen Stonehill, the innkeeper, stands and motions for his family to leave, leading them out the front door.

"We can begin training as early as tomorrow. Our friends here have provided us with plenty of weapons. I'll be happy to take the lead on this. Bows are probably a good place to start. Vutha, would you --"

The front door bursts open again as Toblen frantically pushes his family back inside the hall. The acrid smell of smoke wafts into the hall with them. "They're -- they're burning my inn! The Redbrands!" The crowd gasps, and a few who had still been sitting begin shouting at the others. Sildar returns to where he had been sitting and picks up his crossbow, which had been leaning against his chair. Linene also retrieves a crossbow which she had placed under her chair. The residents who had supported fighting back begin retrieving weapons from those the group brought. Barthen picks up a crossbow, and the butcher grabs one of the swords, but they all pause, looking to the group and Sildar to take the lead.

Exiting the front of the townmaster's hall, everyone sees a group of eight huddled around the rapidly burning inn. Three bugbears, four humans and one very nervous looking goblin turn at the sound of the people bursting out of the hall. Another cloaked figure stands further off, face hidden in shadow. The humans and goblin take a step back at the sight of all the armed townspeople, but the bugbears stand their ground. On each bugbear's belt is pinned a small golden crown that flickers, reflecting the light from the fire, and the one in front wears a jeweled eye patch.

"Everyone back to yer houses!" roars the leading bugbear. "Go home or Mosk will burn you next!"

Last edited:
Seeing the devastation the Redbrands were causing, Merimar ground her teeth. "THE ONLY ONES WHO'LL BURN ARE YOU LOT." Merimar roared, anger clouding her better judgement as she gripped her crossbow. "PHANDELIN IS NO HOME FOR THE REDBRANDS ANY MORE!!" Not taking her eyes off the Redbrands, Merimar called out, "Nobody goes near those bugbears except the five of us! They can pack one hell of a punch. So stay back!"

Pacing, Vutha waited for the day to pass, watching over the spellslingers who were resting, until finally the sun set, helping carry the looted weapons from the manor. She'd been on edge -- waiting for the redbrands to make their attack, what were they waiting for? Were they so busy in their own revelry that they still did not recognize the damage the group had done? She couldn't prevent her tail thrashing occasionally like a cat behind her, there was an edge to the air that she couldn't quite explain. Perhaps instincts trying to warn her of what would be coming.

Hearing the rumble of the hall before they'd even entered she raised her lips in an equivalent of a frown -- to think a tribe could be this divided? Hadn't she been told so many times 'civilized' lands and people were supposed to be so wise and clever? Yet the simple task of defending territory led to so much arguing. She listened as the scale-less Qelline managed to silence the group, and stood with the others as they gave their speeches, internally grateful she didn't have to speak once more. Vutha was fairly sure she'd spoken the most in one day than she had in a long time.

Watching the majority seem to finally agree with what she had been trying to convince them to do, she glanced at Sildar as she heard her name only to reach for a javelin at the door bursting open. Running with the group she saw the building on fire, along with the ones she assumed she'd heard while she was sneaking around the inside of the manor. Raising her lips a rumble built in her throat, and the already cold blooded lizardfolk became freezing once she spotted the golden crowns -- her sight almost narrowing in just on those.

At the words of the bugbear leader she all but dropped her weapons, charging at him with her teeth on display, attempting to bite into him only to clash on his armor, tasting blood once. Seeing the other bugbears around her made her fearful but her fury drove her -- this wasn't about this village anymore, but another. She barely heard Fuska run up to join her, or the other enemies flee, as the leader ignored her to aim at the goliath she rumbled low in her native Draconic -- each set of words accompanied with vicious bites from her maw: "Where. Are. You. Looking?!" The bugbear's body slumped to the ground as life faded from him.

Blood on her scaled lips, her eyes focused on the spellslinger, moving from the dead bugbear towards him, only for him to flee -- her jaws reached for him out of instinct but smashed against some arcane force. So focused on the hunt now she ignored the weapons and blasts that went past her, only recognizing that was prey that was attempting to flee and easily caught up with the weak mage, grappling him and biting deeply into his shoulder, feeling a rush of adrenaline as she did so. Barely aware of it, the man tried to reach of her but she avoided his strike only to suddenly be grasping air as he teleported out of her arms and continued to run. Seeing the group chase him he seemed to surrender, once the haze lifted, Vutha lost interest in him, leaving the others to deal with the enemy's spellslinger.

Wandering the battlefield at the end Vutha collected the small golden crowns, a snarl forming on her face as she did so, only to stand before the leading bugbear once more. Slowly, reaching into her pack, she pulled out her tools and silently began working on the process of harvesting from the body, working to create yet another javelin to add to her collection.

Seeing the horde of enemies ahead of them, Merimar acted. Not on instinct, but on emotion. "Shining One, please aid and protect my friends," said Merimar as she held her hand out, sweeping it across where she saw Vutha, Fuska and Ioanin. A pale golden light shone over each of them before sinking into them. Merimar knew the spell had been cast and ran forward, using one of the houses nearby as cover as she caught her breath.

Ducking out of cover, she saw her friends were already making good progress on destroying the Redbrands. Taking a shot at one of them, the bolt went wide. Popping back into cover, Merimar reloaded the crossbow.

As she popped her head out of cover preparing to take another shot, she saw all bar one person had been dealt with. Running forward, Merimar couldn't quite make it to them but she was relieved to see that Ioanin seemed to have the redbrand under his control. Walking to Calal, Merimar gave him a smile.

"You did great Calal, that was a wonderful speech you did." said Merimar.

Fuska stood off to the side as his allies spoke to the townspeople, arms crossed, and he scanned the crowd. He noticed the same woman who had been trying to hide the night before in the inn, but she seemed to fit in with the others. Fuska was just going to write her off as him reading people incorrectly, but realized that he was better safe than sorry and just mentioned it quietly to Vutha.

Once the burning of the inn was made known, Fuska was only a second behind Vutha as they charged at the bugbears. Fuska slashed at one of them in the shoulder with his sword, and with a burst of speed manage to bring it back across their stomach. Seeing Vutha out of the corner of his eye, Fuska broke his normal expressionless fighting facade and let loose a primal bellow in the face of the bugbears to get all of their attention.

The bugbear was quick however, and managed to get a hit through Fuska’s chainmail before the Goliath could block it with his shield. He grunted in pain, but was still aware enough to swing his sword at the bugbear that tried to rush past him. Angry at himself for letting these beasts get through his defense, Fuska took one last swing at the bugbear to fell it before turning around to one of the redbrands who stayed to fight. He stalked over next to him and licked the blood off his sword in an attempt to scare the Redbrand, but immediately regretted that decision. Bugbear blood tasted even worse than he could have expected, but Fuska maintained an intimidating presence through his mistake.

Finally the last redbrand fell, and Fuska turned to follow Vutha and the mystery man, but the man surrendered on his own. Fuska then helped search the bodies, and carried them off to the side to put them in a pile so they could figure out what to do with them later. He then took a large mouthful of water from his water skin and began rinsing out his mouth.

As the mysterious hooded figure surrended, Sildar limped forward and pulled back his hood, only to find the face of Iarno Albrek, trying to avoid his gaze. "Iarno? What ..." All this time, Sildar thought his friend was dead, perhaps even had been tortured by more goblins, and here he was, leading the Redbrands. "How could you ... you ... argh!" He rears back with his crossbow and slams it across the man's temple, knocking him unconscious. "I'll deal with this trash." Sildar grabs him by the ankle and begins dragging him back to the townmaster's hall.

Back in the square, a woman attends to Harbin Wester, who had passed out as Vutha went to work on Mosk's corpse. But the rest of the town emerges from the hall, and cheers and shouts praise to the group of heroes. A few clap Linene on the back for her particularly effective hit, though she can only blush in response. From the corner of the square opposite the townmaster's hall, Daran Edermath leans up against a wall and watches the aftermath of the fight, but noticeably avoids looking at the bodies, then turns away to return to his home.

Meanwhile, another lifeless figure stirs. The goblin who had fainted pulls himself up to a sitting position, only to see Vutha, Fuska and Ioanin dealing with the bodies of the bugbears. He immediately throws himself to the ground at their feet and cowers. "Please don't kill Droop! I didn't even like those bugbears! They did horrible things to me! They beat me! Please!"

Ioanin stood proud as the townspeople gathered at their side, but his eyes narrowed as a man stumbled in screaming. Those piteous whelps... have thee no shame, to attack an innocent town such as this? Cowards, all of them. He gripped his war pick tightly and rushed forward to battle. Time to show thou how Persana judges scum like thee. Seeing the large furry men rush forward, Ioanin struck a mighty blow into it's head, with the base of the pick, making a loud crunch and sinking in a little. Yanking it free of the skull, he moved on to the remaining Redbrand scoundrel. Glowering, he spoke. "Thou that consorts with beasts shalt be dealt with as such. Thine life was forfeit the day I entered this town." His pick glowed with an eerie greenish light, and Ioanin swept it into the man's side, the divine power ripping through and driving the pick through to the other side in a gruesome display.

Ioanin's attention was then brought to the final fleeing man that was being chased by his companions. Rising to his full diminutive height, Ioanin's eyes flashed with the same green power, and he roared. "PITEOUS WHELP! HEAR MY WORDS AND GROVEL AT PERSANA'S MIGHT, FOR THINE DAY OF RECKONING HAS FINALLY COME!" His words carried with a godly power, and at his command, the figure was forced to drop to the ground and kneel in the paladin's direction, allowing his companions to finally restrain him. With a confident grin, Ioanin turned to the assembly and held up his bloody warpick. "ON THIS DAY, THOU HATH FREED THINESELVES! ON THIS DAY, PHANDALIN IS FREE!" Ioanin paid no mind to the goblin, trusting the others to handle it. Instead, he was content to pose and accept the praises of the assembly, because that's exactly what a true hero would do.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread