Lost Journal of the Sea King

Status
Not open for further replies.
Amadeus was crouched near where the bodies used to be, trying to catch sight of any drag marks or footprints as best he could, yet from what he could tell, the bodies had just ... disappeared. The sand seemed undisturbed, and yet pretty obviously there was a lack of corpses.

Hearing Leothyc approach he glanced over his shoulder, "Nice to see you've finally joined us for the day." Hestia flicked her tongue in Leothyc's direction, evidently still not keen on him and his thrall. "It appears we had some visitors in the night, thankfully they didn't seem to notice us at least, but decided to take some things instead."

Rising again, he motioned as well towards the newly cleaned skeleton of the crocodile. "I'll admit, that has me a bit concerned -- I was hoping maybe it was just the lizardfolk and 'fishkind' we'd have to concern ourselves with." Seeing Vesper still looking out towards the waves he continued, "I'm going to ask Vesper if she happened to see anything overnight, then we should try to figure out our goal for the day. I think it's best we try to find a new shelter if we can -- probably not good to have a known position."

He made his way across the beach to where Vesper was sitting, the sun still working it's way up into the sky for the new day. The waves glowed orange and gold in the morning light, a constant moving form. Vesper didn't seem to notice his approach at first, her gaze appearing fixed out towards sea. Gently he tapped her shoulder, trying not to startle her, "Vesper? The rest of us are up now... did you happen to see what happened overnight?"

Vesper nods, turning to smile at Amadeus (in aarakocra fashion, with beak slightly open and golden eyes dilating a bit in welcome). "Hr'rest chinok p'u rii, friends! Good morning. Yes, I saw." She closes her eyes, turning back to the waves. The breezes ruffles her feathers for a beat. Quietly, she continues, "Great x'hogga, vermin-bugs. Eat it all up, they did. Quite large – fearful to look upon; for indeed, I feel they would qualm-less just as well consume aarakocra as elf or man. I did not disturb them at their work."

Rising, she stretches her wing out full and shakes herself, then sighs quietly – a slight hiss of breath. She clacks her beak once then, as if finished with some chore, visibly relaxes and joins the group with her full attention.

"It would be wise, I feel, to find a place new for resting. Perhaps we should ask Longclaw about the great stone place Hestia a-spied? And then... thoughts, have you? I feel inclined to move; we will not do well to stay, the land unknown with its dangers. We should explore."

"I agree with Vesper, the way off this island won't be found staying in the same place." Using a crossbow bolt to trim her cuticles she continued sounding annoyed and anxious. "As much as I hate walking into a probable ambush it is the only we can get the info and supplies we need for the journey home." She slipped the bolt back into her pouch loosening her rapiers at her side keeping them at the ready. "The sooner we start this, the sooner we can finish so let's get ready to go the jungle." With one final crack of her neck she headed out to the edge of the tree line and waited for the others to join her.

The lack of corpses and the now skeletal giant had Leothyc quirking an eyebrow. That's rather intriguing, and inconvenient. Seems there are more mysteries to this island than meets the eye. Could be an interesting study were he that sort of scholar.

Following the duo to the last of their group, he listens in on her account of what exactly caused the bodies to vanish. Giant carnivorous insects were concerning, for himself and his work. The suggestion of moving inland has merit, he ponders, shifting his staff on the sand. Descriptions and detailing would be pointless to ask, but there is one point of note. As Serres turns and walks off, he loudly asks, "Which way did they leave?" Pausing to allow them to consider the question, he eyes the beings around him and adds, "If these creatures retreated towards the trees, we may be walking into their territory."

“We might be walking into an ambush but we don’t have many other options. Either we deal with this head on or we risk being eaten in our sleep or worst.” She sighs crossing her arms and shifting her weight to the other foot impatiently. “I don’t like this way either but unless you have any other suggestions I say we don’t waste precious daylight and just go bug hunting.”

Amadeus sighed as he listened to Leothyc and Serres argue back and forth. Hestia chirped in his ear as he walked back towards the cave, "Bugs? I like bugs! Tasty, crunchy, fun to pounce."

He rubbed her neck as she trilled, "No ... not these kinds of bugs, they'd eat you up without a thought."

Entering the cave he counted the coconuts left over from the night before, and glanced over towards Longclaw, seemingly still resigned. Sitting across from Longclaw in the cave, Amadeus set Hestia down onto his lap. "Hestia, can you speak to this one again for me?"

She turned to look towards Longclaw, flicking her tongue towards him, "He called me dragon -- then ran!" She curled into Amadeus' lap more, eyes locked onto Longclaw, "For you, yes. What say?"

Amadeus rubbed his eyes as he thought, "Hm ... You know what, he was supposed to kill or capture us for the 'fishkind', right? How would he like to try and regain his honor? Not kill us, but lead us as his captives."

Hestia tilted her head as she listened, then gave a slight nod as she began speaking to Longclaw instead. "Want honor? No kill, capture. Lead us -- caught prey? 'Fishkind' -- pleased?"

Longclaw looked up at the Hestia from where he sat at the back of the cave. The pseudodragon’s words filling his mind, he was getting accustomed to it but still left him uneasy. His eyes narrowed as he contemplated the offer. Could these soft ones be trusted? They had yet to kill him and had several opportunities to do so. Strange to him were their ways.

Putting his tied hands down on the ground, the captive lizard man struggles to stand up. Finally on his feet he looks down at Hestia and then over to her companion. “Duk’ ts’ankanum yek’ arrajnordvel dzknorsi vra. Ays meky kberi dzez ayntegh.” he says out loud in his rough Draconic speech. He follows his words with a firm nod of his head and he points out towards mouth of the cave. “Durs! Durs! Yekek’ gnank’!” he adds emphatically.

Hestia returned the telepathic link to Amadeus, dutifully translating Longclaw's speech: "Says will lead -- to 'fishkind'. Want go, now." She turned to look back at Amadeus, "Go, now?"

As Longclaw stood, Amadeus worked his way to a standing position as well, trying to gauge Longclaw's sudden liveliness. "Well, I don't really see a reason to wait, but ... Still need to do some small housekeeping." He glanced towards the winebottles, coconuts, and massive pile of linen. "Keep an eye on him for the moment Hestia, I need to do some work, then we need to convince the rest of the group -- I didn't really expect him to be so eager, and it's got me concerned."

Nodding, Hestia climbed from Amadeus' shoulders to wrap around Longclaw's shoulders, her stinger placed pointedly towards his neck in case he tried something. Mentally, she spoke to him, "Wait -- my 2-leg, do things. Speak with others, after. Then go. Yes? Patience, honor, good. I dragon -- I know this, yes."

Quickly Amadeus cut into the linen, using his crossbow bolts as makeshift measuring tools, and with a dagger cut the linen into more manageable sheets, making five sheets, roughly 3ft square. Combining one of the sheets with a spear collected from the attack the prior day, he made a rough pack for carrying the coconuts, and snuck two winebottles into the mix, wrapping them with some smaller linen scraps to hopefully prevent them shattering. Folding the rest of the sheets, he returned towards Longclaw, still unsure if he made the right move when he offered the suggestion earlier.

Hestia trilled when she saw Amadeus, "We go now?" Amadeus motioned with his hand a 'maybe'.

"We're going to go speak with the others now -- if he does anything you feel questionable, don't hesitate to sting him. I dislike feeling like we're stuck in a rut when it comes to him, but ... we'll have to see how things go. Tell him to stick close to me for now." As he turned to move towards the exit of the cave, he paused. "And ... tell him I'm sorry for what became of his ally. Unfortunately, he may have to deal with that again."

Around Longclaw's neck, Hestia squeezed slightly, "We go speak to others now -- I guard. My 2-leg sorry for your friend." She flicks her tongue out, "Both of us, dislike. But move forward, yes?"

Likely against his better judgement, Amadeus walked out of the cave, back towards the others, with Longclaw in tow, along with the linen under one arm, a spear with the sack tied to it over one shoulder, and Nemesis stapped across his chest instead of normally just on one shoulder. Ocassionally as he walked, Nemesis jostled and a faint flicker of pain moved across his face.

"Which way did they leave?" Pausing to allow them to consider the question, he eyes the beings around him and adds, "If these creatures retreated towards the trees, we may be walking into their territory."
"Hm, hrrit? The x'hogga, you mean? They came, they ate... then scattered themselves into the blackness." Vesper joins Leothyc while Amadeus busies himself in the cave. "No doubt you are correct, that territory to dangerous things the jungle is. Whether x'hogga or not. But we cannot stay here, known as we are." She considers the necromancer openly, her golden eyes flashing as the pupils rapidly dilate and constrict.

"Know you of any magics to glide us on the sea? Or perhaps trans- eh, transloment? That is not the word... move fast to a new place? If we could not spell ourselves away from her, it may be that we could return with magic swiftness to the cave if trouble we meet. Nok shch'ak, what think you?"

And when Amadeus returns, she thinks to herself, Glad would I be to remain in company all together, for that one's little dragon has much aid to provide if encounter we more lizard-kind. Aloud, she adds, "Has your Hestia a-thought with Longclaw this morning? Lead us, he could, to the stony place if we desire to scout – or perhaps swifter it would be to learn how they meet their fish lords. Then, t'chka! We take the fight to them, and earn trust and resources." She clacks her beak proudly at the thought.

"Know you of any magics to glide us on the sea? Or perhaps trans- eh, transloment? That is not the word... move fast to a new place? If we could not spell ourselves away from her, it may be that we could return with magic swiftness to the cave if trouble we meet. Nok shch'ak, what think you?"

Understanding what the avian was trying to say, Leothyc nods and replies, "Yes I know of a spell that will suffice. However, its floatation effect is limited by time and my own concentration. With the power I divert to keep this one," He motions to 1373, "in check one person may 'fly' for at most 10 minutes. Hardly useful outside of perhaps relocation or scouting."

Or he himself may use it to escape a dangerous situation. But he chose to keep that, along with his invisibility spell, to himself. What they did not know could not hurt them, and may well save him.

"Escape in the midst of conflict is unlikely with our numbers, precautions for safety and protection would be better. Then again, with what you describe of these 'insects' any preparation may well be rendered moot." he continues.

Noting the priest returning with their prisoner and what looks to be their scavenged supplies, Leothyc waits until after Vesper has said her piece before remarking, "Planning on a career change to pack mule perhaps? As excellent as you may be for the job, I'm afraid your skills are needed elsewhere." He mentally commands 1373 to step forward and raise its arms, which the undead lizardman complies with, having been lurking in its master's shadow. Leothyc continues, "I would recommend passing the luggage to the servant, it's one of the few things they are good for."

"Planning on a career change to pack mule perhaps? As excellent as you may be for the job, I'm afraid your skills are needed elsewhere."

Amadeus rolled his eyes before grimacing as Nemesis jostled against his back again. "Very amusing, truly." Glancing towards Longclaw as 1373 steps forward, he tried to gauge Longclaw's reaction, but if there was one, it was hard to see. Hesitantly he handed the linen and pack to the thrall, his headache starting to creep up the closer he got to the creature. Once his arms were free he resettled Nemesis on his shoulder again, as he stood next to Longclaw, his arms crossed.

"You know, it's funny you say that Vesper, Hestia and I did speak with Longclaw earlier. I thought back to what he had said before, and decided to offer him something." Scratching at his chin, he continued, "Namely, I offered him us. From the sounds of it, the 'fishkind' want us for some reason or another, and while I doubt it would likely end happily for us, I'd much rather we move toward them on our own terms, as much as possible." He paused, "So, with Hestia's aid, I told Longclaw he could lead us as captives towards his 'fishkind' masters, overlords, leaders -- whatever they are on this island. Given his reactions, or rather lack of them, I highly doubt he understands common."

Adjusting Nemesis as he reached for his sword necklace, "My thoughts are such, and hopefully even clever Leothyc agrees with this: I offered us as captives, but I did not say we'd be unarmed, nor unarmored. Nor did I say how many of us would be his captives to lead. The hope is Leothyc and I will stay behind the captives, since I believe we're better at range, and ..." he vaguely motioned towards 1373, "that one will be our vanguard, should the need arise." Looking over Vesper and Serres, "I believe you two to be the more ... there're better ways to word this, but, durable I suppose? Of the group. If anything happens, you both probably have the best chance of being able to deal with it, while we support from a distance. Hestia will stay with Longclaw as a sort of insurance, and if he gets away from us, she can hopefully keep with him."

Making a circular motion with a finger, "I know the rough size of this island -- if she keeps an eye on him, they can't get far enough away to be out of contact with me. Hopefully with this plan, at the very least we can get a guided tour of sorts through the island. If Longclaw wants captives, he'll need to lead us somewhat safely. If things start to look questionable, we can attempt to bail, but this will hopefully give us an idea of where their camp is as well since the island has a fairly thick cover of trees."

“I guess we were planning on exploring the jungle and finding the clan anyway so I guess it isn’t a bad idea.” Crossing her arms she started shuffling the sand with her foot thinking it over. “I think we should go now before it gets dark. The insects from last night proved that we don’t know jack about the beasts that roam this island but I would rather face them when the sun is out than at nighttime.”

Grinning she remarked, “I am just happy to be the one doing the ambushing for once.”

"I thought back to what he had said before, and decided to offer him something."[...]"So, with Hestia's aid, I told Longclaw he could lead us as captives towards his 'fishkind' masters, overlords, leaders -- whatever they are on this island."
Vesper stares. A joke? she wonders. But as Amadeus and Serres continue discussing the plan, she realizes they are in earnest. She glances between them all – a motley crew, to be sure, and all out of their depth in some way; nevertheless, it was clear they had all, at least for the present, decided to work together in order to survive and, it was to be hoped, escape. A plan that is foolish might serve for building a plan that is wise. A bold idea, but surely...

Making a thoughtful clicking noise in her throat, she mildly ventures to say, "Grand the plan, aye, and daring. Would it not, though, be best if we sh'rikt chur!" here a sudden trilling sound, very like a startled bird taking off in flight, "with stealth and caution moved? We need not eh, parade-charade; for if Longclaw wills he can show us the place of meeting, and from there make we our plan without risk. If he wills not..." She fluffs her feathers and stares at the hunter. "If he wills not, valuable he may still be as we explore on our own. Together."

Waiting for Vesper to finish speaking, Leothyc clears his throat before gesturing to the avian and speaking, "As she says, why risk ourselves with a charade when caution and stealth is a much safer alternative?"

He sighs, looking pointedly to the priest. "While you may believe you have tricked the creature with poor translation or clever words, I very much doubt any of his companions we may encounter will acquiesce to the same conditions. Additionally, I do not believe the specimen," he nods towards 1373, "would invoke an agreeable reaction if it is seen."

Pausing once more, he gives a hesitant nod, saying, "However, it is an acceptable plan. As acceptable as can be given the circumstances at least."

Amadeus shifted his weight as he stood in the sand, "I feel perhaps I was misunderstood. I'm not saying we walk with Longclaw completely in the open, the charade as you both have said." He gestured towards 1373, "Especially not with that one lumbering around us. Half of us would be traveling with Longclaw, the others would be the ones attempting to keep out of sight."

He continued, "I feel if we act, or at least the 'captives' act like they're not resisting, we can learn a lot more than entirely just sneaking around and hoping to overhear something which, if I may remind you, only Hestia can actually understand." Amadeus shrugged, "Look, I'm open to better ideas or suggestions, but Longclaw seems a bit riled up now, and I'd rather we did something instead of argue in the sun."

"I am with Amadeus. We have to meet with the inhabitants soon enough anyway so better try out the guarded diplomatic route first with you two," Serres gestured towards Leothyc and Amadeus, "and the zombie hidden away as backup when and if it goes south."

"Usually delegates bring along gifts when meeting the rulers of an unfamiliar nation but in these unfortunate circumstances a couple of the bottles of wine and some of the linen would have to do instead." She continued tucking away loose strands of her hair behind one slightly pointy ear.

Vesper holds out her hands palm up, and sways them equivocally. "All paths are hard, to be sure. Yet if find we ourselves in the midst of foes – for certainly foes they would be, unconvinced and nuk'paysh'tal-tal as Longclaw has shown – much harder, yes? Come, let us decide together what are the goals of us."

She digs around in the sand with one taloned foot as she thinks aloud: "First, off the island, I think. Second, ch'rrut! – live to do that; so, gather we food as we have done. Third, aye, learn what we must to survive – if sidestep the lizard-hunters and their fearful, eh, instincts, and straightaway go to the truer enemies of us, better chances we may have." Here she runs a long curving line in the sand with her toe that arcs away from her former doodles into a clear area. "Like flying. Trouble we avoid to find the better, more interesting trouble! What I mean is, let us not give ourselves to the lizard-folk, but either learn – from Longclaw if he is willing, and by hidden cleverness if not – where meet they these fish-folk. Hard to find I doubt it is."

She sighs then, feathers fluffed. "I do not mean to quarrelsome be; yet, captivity pierces me with fear. Let us take our things and, with stealth, move around this island in the treeline and learn what we may. A better sleeping place, at least, we might find. What think you of that instead?"

Serres placed a hand on Vesper’s shoulder gently. “I understand your fears, Vesper, and I agree that it is quite risky which is why I think that it would be unfair to ask anyone not fully willing to join. I will go alone then because I still think it might be the quickest way off this island and for that it is worth it.”

“I would join you in stealth but unfortunately,” she moved her arm lightly making her chain mail jingle with every twitch, “I am not the best companion when sneaking. I think it best then that I go with Longclaw unbound with you following behind in secret scouting their camp.”

“I will take some of the wine and linen as a peace offering and, with Amadeus’ permission, use Hestia as a translator when meeting their chief. What do you think?”

Amadeus raised a hand, "I know it's not the best plan, and there's plenty of room for improvement. However ..." he paused, thinking for a moment. "If Vesper seems keen to try and sneak around, think on this: Longclaw arriving with a captive will probably draw their attention -- that'd be a good chance to try and get a lay of their camp while they're distracted. If Serres gets truly captured, in a roundabout way we'd learn if there are any other survivors."

As if realizing what he said he makes an apologetic gesture, "Er! Not saying we want Serres to be actually captured, just ... trying to find the silver lining I suppose. We've still got quite a lot of linen and wine available to us, whatever we decide to do with it."

Looking over the water he continues, "I can't help but think one way or another Longclaw knows how many of us there are, the goal is more he doesn't know where we are. So even if he tells them there's more, we can be hard to find."

The sun continues to climb its upward and westwardly path in the morning sky. A gentle breeze can be felt coming from the nearby ocean and seen in the palms fronds swaying above. As the group stands discussing their plan of action the distant call of a seabird can be heard in an indeterminate direction. Longclaw stares at the shipwrecked castaways speak with narrowed eyes. Try as he might, there is no understanding that he can gather from their foreign mannerisms.

Back and forth the party went, still not entirely convinced on one plan or another, changing it, tweaking it, offering new suggestions, though Amadeus had a feeling regardless of the plan they went with, it would probably last only so long. Hestia's head turned to follow each person as they spoke, curled around Longclaw's shoulders she was enjoying the heat of the sun as it slowly rose in the sky.

Longclaw seemed restless, glancing towards the center of the island as the softskins went back and forth, evidently bored of a conversation he couldn't understand. Apparently making a decision, Serres approached Longclaw, her hands stretched in what she hoped was understood as a sign of peace. "Amadeus, can I have Hestia's help in translating some stuff?"

As Serres stepped forward, Longclaw took a halfstep back, glancing between Serres and Amadeus.

Amadeus nodded, first to Serres then to Hestia, who shifted her gaze to Serres, her head tilted slightly. For the first time, Serres could hear Hestia's telepathic bond as she heard, "Yes? More talk?" while she adjusted herself slightly around Longclaw's shoulders, her stinger gently scraped across the scales on his chest.

Concerned with the message her stinger was sending, Serres looked back towards Amadeus, "Hey, Amadeus, can you ask Hestia to lower her stinger for now. I think Longclaw would be more cooperative if he didn't feel like his life is in immediate danger."

Amadeus crossed his arms, "Well, I did tell her to use it if she felt like he was going to make a break for it." He sighed as he ran a hand through his hair, "If you think it will help, then." Making a small motion with his hand, Hestia glanced toward him and moved her tail to instead drape around herself instead of being in a "ready" position.

Giving Longclaw a hard stare, Serres tried to look as non-threatening and friendly as she could manage. "Sorry for the rough treatment but you understand after yesterday's attack we all felt a bit on edge." She finished, giving Hestia a small nod to translate.

As Longclaw stared at the softone that appeared to be speaking to him, in his mind he once more felt the telepathic words of Hestia: "Sorry for roughness -- caution, attacked." The lizardfolk's eyes looked skyward as Hestia spoke to him. He responded outloud, his harsh draconic filling the air.

Hestia looked to Serres to explain, "Want go -- too talky." Serres waved a hand in the air, "Yes, yes, we will go soon. Would you like some breakfast first?" She tried a friendly smile, "I'm afraid we only have coconuts at hand."

In Longclaw's mind he heard, "Go soon -- food? Coconuts? Hard tree fruit." He shrugged, responding outloud. Flicking her tongue out as she translated, Hestia gave Serres a head tilt, "Flesh only?"

Serres thought for a moment, responding, "You can have some of the leftover meat then. Amadeus told you the plan, what can you tell me about your village before we go there."

"Meat left, you have. Village? Know more?" Longclaw glanced towards the interior of the island briefly, speaking for a moment and finished with a quick flick of his tongue as well.

Hestia wrinkled her small nose as she translated for Serres: "Not hungry. No village -- fishkind. Want go?" She paused for a moment before adding, "Think fishkind -- very important. Important like I to Ama-daay-uss, yes?"

Tapping his foot slowly in the sand, Amadeus listened to half the conversation. He could understand Serres of course, but when it came to Longclaw's responses, he had no idea, and could only wonder how much information Serres was actually getting. Without Hestia's telepathic bond, he could hear the repeating chant from before starting to increase. He rubbed his eyes as the conversation continued, hoping it would be over soon.

Gesturing towards the trees, Serres asked, "How far do we need to walk to reach your people?"

"How far to fishkind?" Hestia asked, recieving a short answer that she relayed to Serres: "...Heart of Kghzi?"

Seeming a little startled by the simple response, Serres continued, "O...okay. The plan is you take me to your people while the others stay behind in the cave. Do your people like alchohol?"

Dutifully Hestia translated once more, though starting to grow slightly bored, "You take this one -- others stay here. You, like al-coh-hol?" Longclaw looked over the party then spoke once more. Serres heard in her mind, "You please fishkind -- not know al-coh-hol."

Serres appeared pleased with Longclaw's understanding, and explained, "It is a most valuable drink that gives courage and strength. In addition I will be bringing white cloth that has many uses."

Flicking her tongue, Hestia informed Longclaw, "Important -- give courage, give strength. Also bring cloth, much use." After Hestia's words, Longclaw nodded and began to make a motion with his hands towards the island while looking at Serres.

Amadeus felt Hestia's bond reconnect, the chant losing a little of its volume. Without words he felt her questioning if she would stay with Longclaw and Serres, or take her place on his shoulders once more. He gave a small shake of his head, "For now, stay with Serres and Longclaw. We'll be nearby -- I promise." With a small sigh Hestia draped her head around Longclaw's neck, her stinger once more resting near his chest should it be needed.

Having agreed upon a plan, Serres motions for Longclaw to lead the way and the pair begin to make their way into the island interior. Pushing past some chest-high needle palms the lizardfolk leads Serres along a faint footpath through the jungle. Following behind them is Vesper trying her best to remain hidden and silent. Further behind the avian sailor is Amadeus accompanied by Leothyc and his subject “1373”.

In life the creature may have been a hunter, a predator containing great skills of stealth, but in unlife he did not retain that ability. From the moment they left their camp, Vesper could clearly hear the zombie stomping through the foliage behind her. Longclaw did not seem to react, the avian monk could only hope that he had not noticed. After a good while, the lizardfolk does appear to stop and turn his head but continues on.

Finally you reach a wider path, and a ways ahead of Longclaw is a clearing and the mouth of a cave. You see 4 humanoid figures... no 6... 8? It is difficult to determine at this distance, the fact that they are entering and exiting the cave doesn’t improve the accounting.

It becomes clearer to Serres, though, as Longclaw leads her to the end of the path. Before her, the young warrior sees four humanoid creatures that are indeed fishlike. Green skinned with darker stripes and spots across their limbs. Webbed feet and hands, and a long finned tail. Two have large spears in their hands, and all are wearing masks. Though the two without weapons are slightly taller and slender, almost feminine in body, and have more intricate and adorned masks. They seem unphased by your sudden appearance.

Longclaw prostrates himself on the ground before them, with little thought to Hestia and her stinger, and begins to speak in his draconic tongue “Khndrum yem hzor dzuk, voghormir tsarrayi vra! Yes p’ap’uk yem berum! Aveli shat kan, tsarrerov t’ak’nvum yen indzanits’!” As he is speaking, three more figures emerge from the cave. A human male and female elf in chains being led by another one of these ‘Fishkind’ holding a spear in his other hand.

Serres heared Hestia's translation and placed her hand on the hilt of Herz as inconspicuously as she could. "Thank you Hestia, let's give diplomacy one last try before attacking." With a dazzling smile she kept her eyes on the proceedings before her and continued muttering, "Can you tell Longclaw to lead us to his chief." Serres tried to count the number of fishfolk and felt at unease. The fishfolk numbers were too great for any sane strategy. There was no way they could take them out in a "Send a message to Amadeus warning him of LC's betrayal and the other captives. Tell the others to hightail it and run at the first sign of danger. Better they try a prison break than a bloodbath."

While Amadeus was not used to working his way through trees and underbrush, given that most undead were found in crypts or graveyards, he was reasonably pleased with his attempts to stay silent ... granted he had the loud crunching and crackling of Leothyc's latest pet for comparison, and even then Leothyc himself wasn't much quieter. He groaned inwardly as even Vesper kept making small noises as she approached -- already he had mixed feelings on how things were going to go.

Eventually Longclaw let Serres to a clearing, the pair of them stood before the opening of a cave, Amadeus barely heard Hestia's squeak as she was suddenly squished between Longclaw and the ground.

After Longclaw spoke, Amadeus noted the small shift in Serres' stance, wondering what had been translated. Over the course of the small journey, every time Amadeus had caught a glimpse of 1373, his headache had spiked, the inner chorus rising, not having Hestia's constant chatter to muffle it, he had started to feel the sensation of burning under his skin -- similar to how he had started the day. As he rubbed his eyes, he felt Hestia's connection once more, panic underlying the message: "Seeerr-ess -- Longclaw betray! Others caught, run -- run fast, in danger! Escape, than death!"

Startled by the intensity of Hestia's pleas and concern, Amadeus reached for Leothyc's shoulder, attempting to get his attention, while glancing around to try and spot Vesper. Mentally to Hestia he responded, "I -- I don't want to risk losing you --"

"No risk Amaa-daay-uss -- be safe!" He saw her struggling to get out from under Longclaw, her small wings struggling as she was pinned.

Amadeus bit his lip as he thought, finally making a decision, "Then ... then stay with Serres as much as you can -- guard her. Hopefully we won't be split for long." He received a sense of understanding from Hestia as her connection broke and shifted once more to Serres.

Squeezing Leothyc's shoulder, he spoke softly, "Longclaw knows we're here -- Serres wants us to flee if it looks like we're in danger. I --" Amadeus pauses as the headache rises again, "I told Hestia to stay with Serres as much as she can -- I don't know what these things are, but it doesn't look like we can actually handle this right now."

Leothyc had been aware of how bad 1373 was at being remotely quiet, but the trek was so wretched he could not bring himself to care. What did the priest expect, that the magically animated sack of flesh with barely enough sentience to recognize prey (and even that was questionable) would be capable of stealth?Nevertheless, he endured, until their reptilian captive led his 'captive' to a clearing and a cave.

Even ignoring their appearance, Longclaw's reverent behavior towards these 'fishy' newcomers are part of the "fishkind" masters spoken of prior. Though the presence of other prisoners, including another elf ('Waldelfen, not my kin.'), was concerning, Leothyc used valuable time to study their appearance.

'Biology seems to be closer to amphibian than fish, though anthropomorphized. Standard mammalian features would imply the less-bulky ones are females. Lacking weapons, yet still held with respect by the armed males. Taller as well, so they hold more power. A matriarchy then.'

There was a sense of familiarity somewhere. As if a matriarchal society of anthropomorphic fish was something he had encountered before. But... yes, he had. 'Sahuagin. Hm, so they still survive.' he thinks. 'Ancient enemies of the mythic sea ancestors' had sounded to him like an old bit of history spun out of proportion, yet evidently the records were accurate. Which, frankly, is not a surprise with elven longevity.
Squeezing Leothyc's shoulder, he spoke softly, "Longclaw knows we're here -- Serres wants us to flee if it looks like we're in danger. I --" Amadeus pauses as the headache rises again, "I told Hestia to stay with Serres as much as she can -- I don't know what these things are, but it doesn't look like we can actually handle this right now."

Leothyc sighs. "I can agree with that assessment. They may appear primitive but the way the lizards treat them, there is hidden power. Combat is not an option." he mutters in response. 'Which leaves escape or diplomacy.' he muses, glancing to the drooling form of 1373 attempting to hide where it was commanded to. 'Both of which the specimen would be detrimental towards.'

He snorts in annoyance. He would have preferred to maintain the creature for longer but it was inevitable. Mentally commanding (and physically motioning for the benefit of the priest) closer, he maneuvers 1373 manually through the foliage to ensure some manageable degree of stealth, which it did not achieve. Gritting his teeth, not least to the loss of valuable data, he quickly pulls out the dagger at his side before applying several precise stabs to the undead's head. Some clean, some uneven to give the impression of combat if inspected. The zombie, feeling no pain and under orders to stand still and take it, was aware of nothing until even that awareness vanished.

"There. That should help."

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread