Experiences losing your messages (compliment for the site creators inside!)

cxrlyxo

you are my life now
ah, yes.... one of the most (if not the most) dreaded things in the world of RP.... losing your messages or work.

i've had to experience this.. way too much. the majority of my roleplaying over the last few years has happened on Kik, and that app is fuckin' notorius for saving just about nothing. any time i would have to get a new phone (which has been a lot - screw the iphone 7) or would get logged out of the app, i would come back to my messages being gone. i'm one of those types of people that will go back and read through the RP while i'm waiting on a response or even a long time after the RP has ended (yes, i do screenshot things and keep them because i'm weird like that...call me creepy all you want). to me, it's like a fanfic, it's nice to read. but what happens when you have nothing to go back and read? what happens when you're in the middle of a good RP and lose everything? i know most people nowadays go on places like discord where everything is saved, but i highly doubt there's many people out there who have never experienced this.

this brings me to my next point: a good ol' compliment for the mods and the creators of this site. sure, without an app, RPN might not be the most convenient or accessible thing in the world, but it's nice to have everything saved unless you yourself delete it. i currently have not started any actual writing yet on here, but it'll be nice to be able to read back through things when i want or even read other people's RPs for my own entertainment (though i will admit i was a little shocked at first that i was able to do that)! so thanks for that! y'all rule, especially for keeping this site going for so long.

anyways, tell me about your experiences! it will certainly be filled with agony.

back when quotev was still incredibly user friendly and whatnot, it's where i got my start roleplaying and discovered my love for writing. i spent so much time on that website, it was my favorite thing in the world, making all these worlds and stories and watching my characters (while they were very much self inserts, and i blame twelve year old me for that) grow and discover these worlds i painstakingly created for them, it was my pride and joy.

but around 2016 or so, i can't exactly remember, quotev began making it harder and harder for people to find and join groups (where most roleplays were done), and got rid of the "groups i've joined" tab on profiles altogether. i lost pretty much every single roleplay i had done since i started, and it was devastating. i left the website shortly afterwards, and took a break from writing for a couple months.

i joined rpnation in late 2016 and i've been here ever since. (:

back when quotev was still incredibly user friendly and whatnot, it's where i got my start roleplaying and discovered my love for writing. i spent so much time on that website, it was my favorite thing in the world, making all these worlds and stories and watching my characters (while they were very much self inserts, and i blame twelve year old me for that) grow and discover these worlds i painstakingly created for them, it was my pride and joy.

but around 2016 or so, i can't exactly remember, quotev began making it harder and harder for people to find and join groups (where most roleplays were done), and got rid of the "groups i've joined" tab on profiles altogether. i lost pretty much every single roleplay i had done since i started, and it was devastating. i left the website shortly afterwards, and took a break from writing for a couple months.

i joined rpnation in late 2016 and i've been here ever since. (:

oh man! i've heard of people rping on quotev, but have never tried it. is it pretty dead now?

oh man! i've heard of people rping on quotev, but have never tried it. is it pretty dead now?

i haven't been on the website in years, but i would say yes? it's basically turned into an offbrand wattpad now, roleplaying on the site was a pretty huge demographic when i joined. haven't been on it in years, so i dunno.

i haven't been on the website in years, but i would say yes? it's basically turned into an offbrand wattpad now, roleplaying on the site was a pretty huge demographic when i joined. haven't been on it in years, so i dunno.

i first heard about it when my friends would always talk about hetalia & twilight fanfiction, LMAO, so that's really what i knew it as first.

lol all my websites saved things until the end of time.

For this site (cuz it has glitched over the years where you couldn’t get access to anything OR they would change BBC code) so I usually put my things on google drive or Dropbox when it can be saved for those rare down days. Plus it makes it easier to do basic grammar checks.

Several years ago I used to run a forum that had a rp section. My first rp experiences all happened there before I branched out to other places. But someone managed to hack into it and deleted everything that was on the forum. Lost all roleplays too. Shortly after I decided to close the forum because I couldn't get over something that I loved getting detroyed like that. I restored the forum but a lot of users left, so the forum never got up again after that time. This won't happen on RPN because backups are run regularly and everything can be restored. But that was my first forum and I didn't know many things yet, so I couldn't restore all data at that time. Even if I could, I don't think it mattered at that point. That's a forever sad spot in my rp memories.

Then another thing that happened recently, I was roleplaying on another site. And suddenly that site closed without any warning, so we couldn't even copy rp from there. Just one day I opened the page and there was nothing.

And then there is RpN, being alive for so many years and still developing <3 Never had any issues with posts here, aside from a couple occasionally deleted drafts.

Several years ago I used to run a forum that had a rp section. My first rp experiences all happened there before I branched out to other places. But someone managed to hack into it and deleted everything that was on the forum. Lost all roleplays too. Shortly after I decided to close the forum because I couldn't get over something that I loved getting detroyed like that. I restored the forum but a lot of users left, so the forum never got up again after that time. This won't happen on RPN because backups are run regularly and everything can be restored. But that was my first forum and I didn't know many things yet, so I couldn't restore all data at that time. Even if I could, I don't think it mattered at that point. That's a forever sad spot in my rp memories.

Then another thing that happened recently, I was roleplaying on another site. And suddenly that site closed without any warning, so we couldn't even copy rp from there. Just one day I opened the page and there was nothing.

And then there is RpN, being alive for so many years and still developing <3 Never had any issues with posts here, aside from a couple occasionally deleted drafts.

ugh both of those situations sound awful!

Back in 2002, I was participating in a group RP on a message board that had forms discussing a variety of topics like gaming and music and movies. It was my first real RP. Anyhow, the board got hacked and all the posts on the RP went poof. I think we lost about a year's worth of work. The creator had to create a summary post as their first post of the reestablished storyline. There was even talk about starting over with a new continuity.

Since then, I've copied and pasted storyline posts into Word. It helps save my work and I can review the entire storyline while I work on my next entry. I can then copy that entry into the storyline.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back