• If your recruitment thread involves completely going off site with your partner(s) then it belongs in the Off-Site Ad Area.
  • This area of the site is governed by the official Recruitment rules. Whether you are looking for players or looking for a roleplay, we recommend you read them and familiarize your self with them. Read the Recruitment Rules Here.

Looking for... help

Blemmigan

Illusion is eternity. Machines will live forever.
Hope this is the right place to ask this.

A special request from a very special person (just kidding, it's only me):

I've wanted to have a go at dice/tabletop games for a while now (well, particularly since I read about Skyfarer), but absolutely NOBODY I know IRL is interested, and I have been mocked (MOCKED) for asking. I know a few people online who play, but nobody I know well enough to elbow in on their established groups.

So my question is this: do YOU have a space in your heart group for someone who wants to get started with playing D&D-type games but doesn't know how, what type or who with?

I'm asking rather than just jumping in with a random "looking for players" groups because I don't want to mislead people into thinking I know what's going on, or saddle someone unsuspecting with my newbie ways. I pick things up relatively quickly, but chances are that I'll end up asking stupid questions in order to get there. And will probably make a Dumb Character before I have a clue what's cliché and what isn't, but I'm assuming that's normal for everyone.
I mean, sure, I've been taking part in normal role plays for a while now, but what if it's totally different? Lore?? Stats?? And all those dice system types??? Madness.

Advice is also welcome, so long as it doesn't contain too many insults.

If all of this is too tiresome for you to want to deal with, then WORRY NOT! Simply don't answer, and I'll never know to ask you in the first place. But have a lovely day all the same. I'm very impressed that you read this far into this post.

I don't mind whether the game you'd suggest/recommend is fantasy, science fiction or something else entirely that I didn't even think of. I like both (though sci-fi is a favourite)- mainly, though, I'm looking to get some experience with how the whole thing works, so I'd at least know what I'm doing if/when I join anything else. Though hopefully I have enough of a nice time and you'd have me stick around!
Whether on here or Discord or somewhere else, I've not a clue.

(I mean, I don't even know what people call those games. I know D&D is the most famous one, but the general term... Tabletop? Even when it's all online? Just "dice games"? See? I am starting on level zero here)

So. Yes. tl;dr I'm looking for a dice-game-RP-thing, but I don't know what the hell I'm doing. So I need a person or people to be patient with me and allow me to ask dumb questions about how it works.

I solemnly swear to try my best.
Thanks!

Hey! I'm a veteran to being a GM for a LONG LONG time and am presently trying to teach myself 5th edition rules D&D... so far it seems like a really easy game system, but I want some experience GMing 5e before I take my talents out for regular groups. My idea -- We learn together! Message me and we'll start thinking about a "module" (adventure) to get you started on and what race/class (and other details) we'll have for your character.

I have not heard of Skyfarer, but along with Beckoncall, I'm a beginner to tabletop not too long before, but have since played WOTC's latest 5th Edition of DnD. I'm up for both mentioned games, so please message me. Busy atm at ojt.

I'm a veteran of the two most common games done. Pathfinder and dnd 5th edition, as a player mostly to be fair.

Oh boy! This is three replies more than I was expecting, thank you. I should probably have prepared for this.

I'm definitely interested in being a test subject Beckoncall Beckoncall ! What's the saying, that the best way to learn something is to teach it? That sounds like a good excuse. Up for Computing Magus Computing Magus joining in too, if you both are. With Orikanyo Orikanyo (hello) as the token exasperated veteran? Or who can confirm/deny my ability to string a sentence together.

In terms of availability I work during the week and-- I should have said this sooner but I forgot-- I'm UK time zone.

With 3 people volunteering to GM, that's too many cooks. What do we do now? :D

Wait who? I don't gm myself

Blemmigan Blemmigan and I will be creating a character and running through some basic adventure stuff but when we're ready to expand the party we'll come back to this thread to see if anyone wants to join us. <3

By playing, I guess that means I did GM and haven't been a player. Didn't mention it before tho. Guess that means there are still 3 GMs :p

Anyhow, I guess I'll sift through my characters for something simple yet fitting.

I would quite like to play, if I might. I have played Fifth Edition for a few years now, so I can help out with the system's rules.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back