Idea (looking for help) Wandering... Train-hopping rebels?? idk really pls read

indaloch

agent of chaos
So I have a really vague idea I've been obssessed with for a while and I would love any feedback or additions!

It's about a distant future setting, where everything is pretty much the same except worse (bigger gaps between the rich and the poor, more police brutality, stricter governments and borders, international tensions and crisis). The "plot" is basically just several people that (legaly or illegaly) wander and travel around by public transport, sharing news and ideas with like minded people all over the world (it began as only in europe, and i think it's mostly going to be europe, but as i said, i'm very open to suggestions), slowly working towards a turn of humanity. I drew inspiration from many many different things, including fahrenheit 451, hobo culture, the movie "The East", and some silly short stories I wrote back in middle school. This project is my new baby, but it's still really, really small and underdeveloped. It's nothing too plot-heavy (yet?); if it weren't for the constant travelling, i could place it into the slice-of-life category. It's just people who love learning and sharing knowledge doing both while getting to see new countries. It would be very lgbtq friendly, with a vast amount of topics to explore, and open to pretty much any kind of character.

I've also discussed it with my best friend, and he suggested i turn this into an rpg-style game, with quests, unique mechanisms, and so on, but that was just an idea.

What do you think?

I love the sound of this! It such a unique and beautiful plot, think this could go big if you wanted it too.

I'd love to get involved with this.

I love the sound of this! It such a unique and beautiful plot, think this could go big if you wanted it too.

I'd love to get involved with this.

Great to see positive feedback! I'll probably start a recruiting thread once a few people have shown interest, and the story is going to take form based on the characters that gather up!

Great to see positive feedback! I'll probably start a recruiting thread once a few people have shown interest, and the story is going to take form based on the characters that gather up!

I will keep an eye out for that thread for when it comes about x

Cool idea. Possible useful reference material might be SIGMATA: This Signal Kills Fascists and Red Markets.
I'm sure there are at least two other good RPGs to reference; I'll check after work and get some links for you.

This is making me think of a grimmer Kino's Journey.

Cool idea. Possible useful reference material might be SIGMATA: This Signal Kills Fascists and Red Markets.
I'm sure there are at least two other good RPGs to reference; I'll check after work and get some links for you.

This is making me think of a grimmer Kino's Journey.

Wow, thanks a lot for the resources. I appreciate it a lot, since I'm kind of overwhelmed and don't know where to start rn

It's a very good time to find mechanically light or system-agnostic tabletop RPGs about various forms of resistance (I know very few developers and writers who are not at least syndicalist), so I'm sure I can find some more tonally appropriate stuff that should give you useful advice and ideas for structuring this more.
If you want I can also link some of my essays on worldbuilding and plot construction, if those are things you feel you need some advice on, too. I don't know your relative experience level.

It's a very good time to find mechanically light or system-agnostic tabletop RPGs about various forms of resistance (I know very few developers and writers who are not at least syndicalist), so I'm sure I can find some more tonally appropriate stuff that should give you useful advice and ideas for structuring this more.
If you want I can also link some of my essays on worldbuilding and plot construction, if those are things you feel you need some advice on, too. I don't know your relative experience level.

I have experience on worl-building, but I've never had any contact with rpg mechanics before. Any kind of help would be greatly appreciated!

If you've not really been in a GM-style position for an RP before, this might help Tutorial - Techniques For Running An RP and so might the other threads linked at the bottom of that post. The majority of the advice applies even if you're not using any mechanics, and don't feel compelled to use any if it doesn't work for your RP.
I think there's a Belonging Outside Belonging game that should work for you, a system that's functionally GMless and often diceless, I just need to check what's out right now and what's in development.
Again, just as reference for this kind of ideas, rather than me rigidly suggesting you need to use a system for this type of RP. I do encourage it, though, in general.

If you've not really been in a GM-style position for an RP before, this might help Tutorial - Techniques For Running An RP and so might the other threads linked at the bottom of that post. The majority of the advice applies even if you're not using any mechanics, and don't feel compelled to use any if it doesn't work for your RP.
I think there's a Belonging Outside Belonging game that should work for you, a system that's functionally GMless and often diceless, I just need to check what's out right now and what's in development.
Again, just as reference for this kind of ideas, rather than me rigidly suggesting you need to use a system for this type of RP. I do encourage it, though, in general.

thank you so so much! i know i've said it, like, a million times already, but thank you.

Interesting. Reminds me of an old idea I had called "London B-Train". It was a near-future world where teleportation had been invented and become widespread enough so as to make public transportation through large distances obsolete, thus forcing things like trains to attempt to differentiate to stay relevant, selling the journey itself as the experience, becoming more akin to moving restaurants or hotels etc...

Interesting. Reminds me of an old idea I had called "London B-Train". It was a near-future world where teleportation had been invented and become widespread enough so as to make public transportation through large distances obsolete, thus forcing things like trains to attempt to differentiate to stay relevant, selling the journey itself as the experience, becoming more akin to moving restaurants or hotels etc...

This sounds very interesting! Mine is more like hipsters, punks, and tired people with phds coming together to knock some sense into people who think corona beer is a source of coronavirus.

This sounds very interesting! Mine is more like hipsters, punks, and tired people with phds coming together to knock some sense into people who think corona beer is a source of coronavirus.
Yep, so I realized XD Unfortunately in this one I don't really have much in the way of advice to give, but I wish you the best of luck!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back