• If your recruitment thread involves completely going off site with your partner(s) then it belongs in the Off-Site Ad Area.
  • This area of the site is governed by the official Recruitment rules. Whether you are looking for players or looking for a roleplay, we recommend you read them and familiarize your self with them. Read the Recruitment Rules Here.

Fantasy Looking for a fantasy system game

Roleplay Type(s)
Introduction & the Sitch
Oh hi! I'm Sparkles, or Zombie, depending on your perspective. I'm a dude in his early thirties who has had fun with play-by-post roleplaying for over a decade. Sometimes I game. Mainly I listen to music like a junkie.

I'm looking to play a system-based game with a partner, either as a GM or as a player, or trading off between the two roles. In other words, I'm easy! If I'm GMing, the system will be D&D 5e or OVA 2e. As a player, I'm open to the GM's pick as long as it's affordable.

One thing I feel like I should disclaim upfront: I'm relatively inexperienced in the fantasy genre, having spent much of my roleplay years and media consumption in slice of life. I've been playing D&D for only two years - and no, not because of Critical Role, which I haven't watched beyond one or two episodes. With that in mind, my custom ideas are going to be pretty simplistic without the depth of material that most of y'all have consumed. Just adjust your expectations accordingly if you're hoping for a GM. 😁

Newbies to system gaming are welcome!

For the Love of Chemistry
What I give:
  • Patience. I may check in if there's been silence for a couple of weeks, but I won't pester, nor will I expect a post because we're chatting.
  • Humor. I like wit, puns, and keeping OOC chatter lighthearted.
  • Adaptability. We're two people trying to roleplay together for the first time. If it turns out something isn't working, I'm happy to see if there are ways to remedy that. Worst case, we decide we're not compatible and move on our merry ways. Similarly, I'm content to make edits if I make a mistake or something.
  • Communication. If a post will be delayed, I'll provide notice. If I've lost interest, I'll say something. I'm not the greatest with small talk, but building a friendship can be nice, so I'm happy to indulge in chatter. Once we've started the roleplay, I'm open to connecting via Discord, but until then, I prefer to keep to PMs.
  • Responses that range anywhere from one paragraph to 600 or so words, based on what a reply requires. Combat, for example, involves limited actions and will have shorter posts compared to a situation in which characters are interacting freely. There are samples below if you would like a feel for my writing style.
  • At least one response per week, barring real-life issues. Naturally, the more thought and detail a response needs, the longer it will take. If we're in combat or another thrilling situation, then I'll make an effort to post sooner.
  • If acting as a player, I will collaborate and help drive the story. (As a GM, that kinda goes without saying.)
  • As a GM for 1x1s, I prefer to build companions (and rivals and sometimes enemies) using the character creation rules instead of using stat blocks. The purpose is to allow them to scale with the PC(s) and provide proficiencies that the PC(s) lack. Yes, part of it is for my own indulgence, too. They will always let the PC(s) take the lead, though their decisions can have consequences. I will always be the one to roleplay them, but players who want greater control may pick prepared spells, influence level-ups where choices are needed, and decide their actions during combat.
What I'm seeking:
  • OOC maturity & decency.
  • A player of any identity.
  • A player who is at least 18.
  • A player with the ability to respond at least once every 2 weeks, notwithstanding life's shenanigans.
  • A player who can spell and use grammar well, and also be sufficiently descriptive. They care about quality more than quantity. They help carry the scene forward, and they are capable of depicting their character with their posts, not just dictating the actions they perform.
  • Self-agency. A good player will come with their own wants and ideas, but at the least, they need to be willing to work with me to move the story and build the world, if we're using a custom setting. Despite the GM-player dichotomy, the game still needs to be a collaborative effort.
  • Roleplay via thread or PMs. Once we've started posting, I'm open to using Discord for OOC, or we can stick to PMs.
  • A platonic game or a game inclusive of romance. In regards to romance, I have some extra notes:
    • All romances must consist only of races that are largely humanoid in appearance and shape. Tritons, tieflings, satyrs, and half-orcs are cool, for example, but a centaur or a dragonborn would be a no. I respect the furry culture, but I'm not comfortable writing such pairings.
    • If we're just leaving romance open as a possibility, using a chemistry-first approach, easy peasy! The gender makeup of the pairing doesn't matter.
    • If a partner specifically desires a pairing, where I have to develop a character to fulfill such a purpose, then I need a character who identifies as male to be present in the pairing, regardless of the gender I'm playing.
    • Specifically for M/M, I detest the uke trope. I don't care for the blushy or cutesy behaviors, and I dislike it more that certain writers seem to use it as a way to "straighten" a pairing. If that's what someone is into, I respect that, but it's a hard no for me.
    • Beyond that, all pairings can be trans-inclusive!
    • Also poly friendly!
  • Illustrations or written descriptions for character appearances. Anime isn't preferred unless we're using a system specific to the genre.
  • Communication. If something ever bothers you or you aren't feeling something about the game, let's talk about it! I want the game to be fun for both of us.
  • If I'm GMing, then a willingness to use Roll20 for encounter maps, at least when it comes to D&D. Players can decide where they create character sheets and roll dice as long as I can see both. If I'm acting as a player, then it's of course the GM's choice on how encounters are handled.

Behind the Screen
Below are the games I'm willing to run using D&D 5e or OVA 2e. If you aren't familiar with OVA, I'm happy to share the PDF of the system for the sake of playing a game together, with the request that you consider supporting the publisher if you find OVA to your liking - it's under $20.

Also as a point of clarity, even though OVA is written as an anime system, I'm okay with it not being the genre we play. The system is fun regardless, and in honesty, anime isn't my preferred genre anyway.

Some of the below pitches are published D&D campaigns. Others are custom ideas that I haven't fleshed out beyond the premise, all of which await a partner's desires and creative spin.

Alternatively, or in addition to one of the premises below, if you have a character you want to bring to life, tell me about them! What are they like? What are their motivations? Maybe there's an adventure we can wrangle together for them.

Published 5e Campaigns
Below are the ones that I own and am willing to adapt for a 1x1. We can make it work for one character, but if you'd like, you can play two.

Even if someone has played one of the campaigns, I'm still open to running the game for them.

Waterdeep: Dragon Heist

6J0MXJ4.jpg

Your character is in need of work. They have learned of an urgent job, so to the Yawning Portal they have gone. There, Volothamp Geddarm shares the news of his missing friend. He wants help finding him.

Little does your character know that the city's factions are astir with a new fascination. The next Grand Game has begun, and your character will get to compete with, steal from, and--hopefully--triumph over some of Waterdeep's most prominent villains. Half a million gold is on the line.

You can play one or two characters.

Your character should have motivation for finding the gold. It could be for selfish reasons, or it could be from a desire to perform a service to the city. Other character goals are welcome and will be interwoven among the overall plot, but the scope should be contained within and around Waterdeep to keep the game cohesive.

Some ideas include...
  • They or someone close to them has ties to the Zhentarim or the Xanathars. How do they feel about those ties?
  • Maybe a loved one has been imprisoned or taken by one of the gangs, or will be.
  • Your character could be a part of the City Watch, perhaps with dreams of joining Force Grey.
  • Maybe your character is a part of a noble family, and they want to improve their house's standing within the city or redeem it after a scandal, perhaps one of their own making. Or similarly, maybe they are a part of the lower class and want to improve their position in life.
The campaign will involve a number of heists. Your character doesn't have to be a rogue, but having proficiencies in stealth and thieves' tools can be helpful.

As written, starting level is 1, but we'll bump it to level 3 unless you want a challenge.

Also, I don't have extensive knowledge of the Forgotten Realms or the important NPCs that will appear, nor do I care if a player does. Those who are more familiar with the lore should be okay with me taking a few creative liberties, especially with the NPCs, but if there is lore that's especially important for your character, let me know about it and I'll perform due diligence.

There is information relevant to the campaign that I am being mum about it. I'll reveal more to you based on the character concept(s) you are thinking of.

The enchiridion can be a great tool for familiarizing one's self with Waterdeep.

Odyssey of the Dragonlords

dd1oTWw.png

At the dawn of time, war between gods and titans left the landscape of Thylea forever changed. Thousands of years later, the first mortals arrived, carried by ship and dragon.

The Dragonlords were the champions who overthrew the Titans 500 years ago and forged the Oath of Peace. But the power of the Oath has waned, and now the Titans seek vengeance.

A hero (or heroes) has been called by prophecy to end the conflict once and for all.

If and when you might be ready, the player's guide can be found here. It's important for lore (about 15 pages with illustrations), especially if you choose to play a character who was born on Thylea, and it offers unique subclasses. I'll provide a brief summary of the lore below.

You can play one or two characters. The starting level will probably be 3, maybe 4.

Each character should use one of the special hooks, called Epic Paths, described farther below to tie them closer to the story.

The Lore, in Summary
The gentle Thylea and the war-mongering Kentimane hail from the time of the ancient gods. They were lovers. Disheartened by the violence of those times, Thylea isolated herself, becoming a demiplane that Kentimane swore to protect. They had children. Two of them are the Twin Titans - Sydon, the Lord of Storms, and the Lutheria, the Lady of Dreams. The children titans created creatures that could worship them and make their existence less lonely.

Eventually, mortal races - humans, elves, etc. - who sailed the farthest reaches of their realm gradually shipwrecked on Thylea as they were caught in the Maelstrom. With their numbers few, survival was rough, and they resorted to worshiping Sydon and Lutheria to gain protection from the natives.

Dragonlords - champions who rode atop dragons - led an expedition of ships to this new world. They turned the tides in favor of the settlers, who gained land and developed cities. Then the First War happened. Most of the Dragonlords and their dragons were wiped out, and the Five Gods appeared and championed the settlers. The war ended with the Oath of Peace sworn between the Five and the Twin Titans: for five hundred years, the Twins would not seek vengeance upon the settlers, so long as daily sacrifices would resume and their temples would continue to be maintained and honored.

All of the Five but Mytros, who ascended during the First War, continue to walk Thylea to this day, but the Oath is ending and they appear to be doing nothing, so their worship has waned. Some might even believe they aren't really the gods at all.

All metalwork is bronze.

Oaths are a huge deal on Thylea and should not be made lightly. Breaking one will result in a curse or being taken to the Nether Sea by the Furies.

Allowed Races
Whether your character was born on Thylea or is a newcomer who has washed ashore, these are your options:

Human, elf, half-elf, tiefling, half-orc, halfling, or gnome

If you want to play a race that is native to Thylea, then you can choose any of these from the player's guide:

Nymph, satyr, siren, minotaur

No centaur because I feel like they're an awkward fit with the trajectory of the game. I'm also saying no to medusa.

If you want to play a newcomer and you're okay with keeping things platonic, then dragonborn is an additional race available to you. I feel like any other race wouldn't have as much of a connection to Thylea, so I'm limiting the options to the PHB.

Also, Tasha's rules can be used for racial benefits.

Allowed Classes

OotD offers these subclasses:

Barbarian - Herculean Path
Bard - College of Epic Poetry
Cleric - Prophecy Domain
Druid - Circle of Sacrifice
Fighter - Hoplite Soldier
Monk - Way of the Shield
Paladin - Oath of the Dragonlord
Ranger - Amazonian Conclave
Rogue - The Odysean
Sorcerer - Demigod Origin
Warlock - Patron: The Fates
Wizard - Academy Philosopher

Additionally, here is an artificer subclass: fateweaver.

Those who are born on Thylea may choose any of the above, or they can choose an official class. Details on how they can fit in the world are below in the spoiler. Some subclasses are prohibited for lore reasons.

If your character is a newcomer, they can be any subclass except drakewarden, and except for those unique to OotD.

Artificers
Being a pupil of Volkan could be a good hook for an armorer or a battle smith.
An alchemist can also work.
An artillerist feels too advanced, so no.

Barbarians
Most humanoid barbarians come from the Cerulean Gulf. They might be an Amazon if female, or they might hail from the more egalitarian tribes. The barbarians of the Cerulean Gulf sided with the natives during the First War, so many of the Heartland humanoids distrust them.
Path of the Storm Herald must be a descendant of Sydon or a nereid.
Path of the Beast doesn't really work.

Bards
Your character might be a satyr minstrel, or they might have studied at the Academy in Mytros.
College of Spirits is available only to the Psychopomp epic path (more as an innate ability rather than something taught).
All other subclasses are fine.

Clerics
You must choose a canonical deity.
Sydon or Lutheria as a patron deity kinda contradicts the plot. For this reason, their domains (tempest, death, grave) aren’t allowed.
The life domain could be assigned to Thylea if someone wants to play a cleric of a native race (or a settler who’s more enamored to Thylea).
The domains not listed in the player’s guide on page 10 can go to these gods:
Twilight - Mytros or Thylea
Peace - Mytros or Thylea
Arcana - Vallus
Order - Vallus

Druids
Most druids come from the Oldwood, where they are in tune with the mother goddess herself. The circles may accept native and settler races alike as long as they are genuine.
Circle of Dreams could have ties to Lutheria.
Circle of Widlfire doesn't work.

Fighters
Arcane Archer, Echo Knight, Psi Warrior, and Rune Knight would probably be awkward from an immersion standpoint, but it could be that their respective arts were kept within your character's family.
Samurai and cavalier - mechanically they are fine.

Monks
Way of the Astral Self, Way of the Long Death, and Way of the Sun Soul aren't allowed.
Your character is likely from Aresia, where the warrior style is learned, but it's possible a wandering mentor accepted them as a pupil.

Paladins
Swearing fealty to Sydon or Lutheria contradicts the plot. Choose a different god if need it as part of your character's backdrop.
If your character breaks their oath, they will be imprisoned in the Nether Sea. The stakes are higher! For that reason, Oathbreaker won't be available.
Oath of the Watchers is not allowed.

Rangers
Gloom Stalker and Horizon Walker aren't allowed. Monster Slayer also doesn't really fit with the story, and Drakewarden doesn't mesh with the game's trajectory.
All other subclasses can work.

Rogues
Phantom is available only to the Psychopomp epic path.
Soulknife is the only subclass not allowed.

Sorcerers
Draconic bloodline can work alright for humanoids.
Wild magic can work for a nymph.
Storm sorcery is available for a descendant of Sydon or a nereid.
All others aren't allowed.

Warlocks
Available only if you take the Timeless One or Vanished One epic path. Your choices for either are archfey or celestial.

The pact involves an oath that must not be broken, or else your character will be imprisoned in the Nether Sea.

Wizards
Your character likely studied at the Academy in Mytros. Bladesinging probably wouldn't be taught there - they'd come across a mentor.

Epic Paths: General Overview
Epic paths are a unique feature to the module that provides personal motivation for the PC. From the player's guide, I'm selecting the ones that have actual relevance to the story, and I'm also including a few fan-made ones. I'm saying no to any of the others listed in the player's guide, except maybe for a second character.

Also, if you look at them in the player's guide, they do mention rewarded items and what is called a "divine blessing". The magic items can be negotiated and the blessing is a late-game reward. Prioritize the roleplaying experience over the mechanical benefits!

Epic Paths: Thylean Origins
You are a mortal child of Pythor, the god of battle. You’ve never met your father, but your mother was a woman famed for both her beauty and her skill as a harpist. She was carried away by a green dragon when you were very young. A family of soldiers adopted you, and then raised you to be a mighty champion for the city of Mytros. You are a favorite child of the city, and bards already sing of your great deeds, real and imagined, while travelling the Heartlands.

As a youth, the Oracle predicted a great destiny, one in which you might be able to join the pantheon alongside your divine father, who has recently fallen into despair and drunkenness. It is up to you to redeem your father and rescue your mother. Only then may your family become whole.

Restrictions: Must be any settler race.

Ever since you were a child you’ve shown remarkable promise, effortlessly mastering every activity you’ve attempted. You have no explanation, but most people assume that you must have divine blood flowing through your veins. As you are from a common, or barbarian, family, you have been the target of seething envy from the children of the nobility and the wealthy who believe you do not deserve your gifts. You’ve therefore spent most of your life proving your worth. You want to achieve fame and fortune and have your name remembered down the ages. Mostly... you want to become a Dragonlord. If you could find a dragon egg and successfully hatch it, you could join the list of legendary heroes that are still remembered after five centuries. The call of the Oracle has given you an opportunity to prove your worth.

Notes: Any race is allowed.

You are one of the Dragonlords, the legendary outside explorers who first discovered Thylea. You were present when the tiny settlement of Mytros was founded, but you’ve been missing for almost 500 years. During an expedition into the Cerulean Gulf, you fell victim to the irresistible charms of a nymph named Versi. You’ve spent the last five centuries in a waking dream, trapped in her cave with no knowledge of time passing or events on the mainland. When Versi, the Oracle, foresaw you were called by fate to save Thylea, she released her hold on you, but she made you swear an oath to return to her once your quest is completed.

Restrictions: Must be a settler race.
Notes: Versi can be male if preferred.

An orphan, you lived a strange life - the spirits of the dead and dying have always called out to you, and you have long sought to either comfort them, or to escape their sepulchral cries. But even in your darkest hours, you had your true love by your side. Until the day they vanished, that is. They were later found dead, but with no discernable injuries. They came to you the next night, bearing an unholy green aura, begging you for help, for release. As quickly as they came, they were gone. Having lost the one light in your life, you are determined to save them by whatever means necessary, so when Oren informs you the Oracle knows how to help, you journey to the Sour Vintage as instructed.

Notes: Any race is allowed.

You grew up knowing little more than your mother’s love. Yours was a hard life, but you had each other, and you had the many stories your mother told you of your father - though she never revealed the identity of the man. Your mother bemoaned that you were both denied the lives you were owed by your birthright, as you were both kept from your father by his wife’s jealousy. You returned home one day to find your house ablaze. Forcing your way inside, you managed to pull your mother out of the fires. With her dying breaths, she revealed that your home was attacked by someone, and told you to find your father, giving you the last token of him that she still possessed: a single burnished coin.

When Oren informs you that the Oracle knows how to find your father and avenge your mother, you set off for the Sour Vintage.

Restrictions: Must be a human, half-elf, or half-orc.

You are the child of Versi the First, the Titan of Prophecy. Having foreseen the downfall of her and her divine siblings at the hands of Sydon and Lutheria, she sent you to the Island of Time until you had the opportunity to defeat the traitorous twins. You spent untold centuries away from the world until five years ago, when you returned to Thylea’s mainland and grew to adulthood with an Oldwood tribe that still honors your mother. This new Thylea is strange, and many creatures not of the Titans now walk it. They build cities and honor new gods, but they are not your enemy. Sydon and Lutheria hate them fiercely, and you know the cruelty that the Twin Titans can inflict. Perhaps these settlers can even help you in your quest.

When Oren approached you, you learned of the Oracle who bears your mother's name, and that she can divine what happened to the forgotten titans.

Restrictions: Must be a siren, satyr, or nymph.

Your mother was the Amazon Queen of the Island of Themis, Thesilea VI. Thirteen years ago, a group of three sisters murdered your mother and her main supporters in a single night of bloodshed, stealing her identity and her throne. They now rule over the main island and the smaller tribes scattered throughout the Cerulean Gulf. You escaped in the chaos, and have been preparing for your return ever since.

News from Themis is dire. Bands of maenads roam the island, accompanied by their goat-headed children and leagues of leering men, keeping the populace in check. Bloody bacchanals are held every night, all in the name of Lutheria.

You must overthrow the usurpers, prove that your worthiness extends beyond your blood, and reclaim your crown.

Restrictions: Must be a woman of any race.

Epic Paths: Foreigner Origins
Your character is an ancestor of one of the Dragonlords. Lately, he has been plagued by strange dreams of a voice speaking to them - "help", "danger", "Thylea". Your character put together the pieces and have decided to answer the call, joining a crew of treasure hunters in hopes that they might reach Thylea. When they wash ashore at Mytros, they learn the Oracle foresaw their arrival and that they might help them find the answers they seek. You follow Oren's directions and travel to the Sour Vintage.

Restrictions: Must be a human, half-elf, or half-orc.
Notes: Choose one of these names for your ancestor: Xander Huorath, Adonis Neurdragon, Estor Arkelander.

War of the Burning Sky

JT0fkF2.jpg

While once news reached the free city-state of Gate Pass by weekly teleporting courier, that channel has gone silent, and now news travels by the old routes of rumor — travelers from the outside world. You might be one of those travelers, or a concerned native of the city, but you have heard the rumors.

Emperor Drakus Coaltongue, ruler of the mighty Ragesian Empire which lies to the west of Gate Pass, has been slain in a distant nation, or so the rumors say. Of course, the rumors once said that Coaltongue was immortal. However, no one doubts the tales of armies mustering in Ragesia, with orders to secure the borders of the empire at this time of weakness and uncertainty. And from Shahalesti, the elvish nation east of Gate Pass, the rumors say its ruler seeks to claim the vulnerable Ragesia for his people.

Gate Pass sits alone in its mountain pass, one of the few safe routes between these two nations — Ragesia and Shahalesti. For weeks people have been saying war would come to Gate Pass, and now the rumors are true...

In War of the Burning Sky, you will have the chance to fight in a war of mythic proportions, and determine the fate of many nations in its aftermath. Ever-escalating conflicts, powered by mighty magic and fervent faith, threaten your freedom and lives, and even the world itself.

Driven by the dogs of war, you will head for a distant safe haven, a magic academy named Lyceum, which has sent up a rallying cry for those who wish to resist the warmongers. You will have a chance to form alliances, to build an army, and to uncover the strange secrets that underlie the conflict. As the war reaches a climax, powerful magic will threaten to scorch nations, or sunder them into nothing but nightmares. It will be up to you to bring the war to an end before only embers and ruins remain.

The campaign will involve politics and moral choices. A player should be willing to engage in such play and also be comfortable with elements of racism.

The specific adventure hook is that your character has fallen into the resistance group in Gate Pass, where your character will be tasked with escorting an agent to Lyceum. Perhaps the best motivation is that your character is native to Gate Pass and desires to protect their home - the player's guide includes a number of backgrounds with ties to the various factions within the city, complete with features. Alternatively, they could be from a neighboring nation with a vested interest in keeping Ragesia and Shahalesti from going to war.

The player's guide offers more lore, but what follows will be a brief summary.

Setting in a Nutshell
Ragesia - Mighty empire formerly headed by the late Drakus Coaltongue. Orcs and half-orcs are the dominant race, and any others within its realm likely once belonged to conquered nations. The Inquisitors now rule with a goal to hunt mages that are seen as enemies of the nation.

Shahalesti - The eastern nation ruled by elves. Humans are the majority but possess little power. Orcs and half-orcs are scorned.

Dassen - A collection of human settlements and dwarven holdings. King Steppengard rules over the eight feudal lords and ladies, as well as dozens of minor dwarven nobles who govern their own small holdings in the mountains.

Sindaire - The national government of the Exarchate of Sindaire is officially run by a representative from Ragesia, but in practice the Exarch has limited power. The people of Sindaire — mostly humans with some caravans of nomadic gnomes — pay some taxes to Ragesia, but maintain their own armies and laws. Sindaire has a long-established druidic tradition, coming from a time when a group of refugees fleeing a catastrophe in what is now Shahalesti settled in Sindaire's warm forests, converting many of the locals through their generosity and their disciplined devotion to nobler ideals.

Ostalin - Island people who battled among themselves before a warlord conquered and united them, later leading his people to the mainland where they took land from Sindaire. The successor, Khagan Onamdammin, has put the nation in a violent state, due to his poor rule. Dragonborn live here, and tieflings have been offered sanctuary out of sympathy from Onamdammin.

Gate Pass - A city-state that lies in a rocky mountain pass that runs east to west between Ragesia and Shahalesti. Sheer cliffs mark its northern and southern borders, and fortifications built up over centuries have made the city highly defensible, allowing it to avoid being annexed by either of the nations that surround it. These same fortifications, unfortunately, make it difficult for anyone to sneak out of the city without going through any of the numerous gates that give the city its name. Gate Pass is run by a governor and council. Orcs and half-orcs benefit from good standing. Other races tend to live in ghettos, smaller walled areas within a few of the city's larger districts. Drakus once conquered the city, but resistance led a successful rebellion. Drakus gave up his control, and Ragesia and Shahalesti agreed that it would be neutral territory.

Also, a weird phenomenon has occurred, where any teleportation magic (such as misty step) will cause sever burns, possibly killing the person, especially weaker ones. It's thought to be related to Drakus' - and the Torch of the Burning Sky's - disappearance.

Allowed Races
All PHB races.

Allowed Classes/Subclasses
The campaign mostly pertains to war with some politics. Character builds with that in mind will do best.

Monster Slayer, Inquisitive, Peace Domain, and Oath of Redemption are the least fitting. Horizon Walker won't fit that well from a roleplay perspective, but they work fine mechanically with the exception of Detect Portal (serves no purpose). Oath of Watcher is relatively more fitting.

In addition, the player's guide offers these subclasses:

Barbarian - Path of the Blitzer
Bard - College of Cirquelistes
Druid - Circle of Nature
Fighter - Commander
Monk - Way of the East Wind (sorcerer spellcasting)
Monk - Way of the West Wind (cleric spellcasting)
Paladin - Oath of Healing
Ranger - Nature's Guardian
Rogue - Shadowdancer
Sorcerer - Manifested Dream
Warlock - The Primordial

(The wizard and cleric subclasses will not be allowed.)

Custom Ideas
None of these are fully fleshed out. Come with your own wants and ideas! Let's build the world and the story together!

The Heroes' Guild
With older siblings to tend to the estate, Gabriel Haven was a young nobleman largely left to his own devices, and albeit with some concern, they supported their son's dreams in becoming an adventurer. One of his early achievements involved clearing out a band of highwaymen who were disrupting trade between nations. With the deed finished, he was charmed by the area of their camp, and the swaths of untamed wilds surrounding it, so he and his comrades made it a home of their own. Over the years, as the party performed great services, Haven's Cross developed into a humble town of family, refugees, traveling merchants, and those who simply wanted a new life away from the larger nations.

As the heroes aged, they decided to mentor a new generation of adventurers. Through these efforts sprang the guild, and a generation or two has since passed.

Your character has joined the guild. Maybe they grew up in Haven's Cross or came from afar. They could want to follow in the footsteps one of the famed heroes, be seeking power, or have some other motive that involves the guild or its resources. Your character will grow and accomplish their goals, but not everything is calm beneath the surface. Leadership has changed and neighboring nations see value in claiming the town for their own.

Beyond the Walls
An apocalyptic event forced people behind giant walls. For centuries the citizens of Ashborne survived, clueless to what lied beyond.

Version 1: But now the city has become overpopulated and resources are thinning. Previous expeditions beyond the walls have ended with the parties never being heard from again. The government wants to address the situation before things become dire.

Perhaps your character is among the next company to be sent out to secure a way to grow the city/secure additional shelter. Or perhaps they are a criminal, or a volunteer, being exiled to reduce strain.

Version 2: Or at least the government claims an apocalyptic event caused the walls, but no one has been allowed outside to see it for themselves. Skeptical, or perhaps desperate to flee something, your character wants to escape.

General Notes: If D&D, technology will be fairly limited. If OVA, it's open for discussion. Either way, guns are in short supply.

Start Anew
Escaping war, a bad life, a bounty, or a catastrophe, your character has come to a new city to start a new life, but with little money to their name, their only option is the camps on the city perimeter, or the slums. Not satisfied, or wanting to give themselves purpose, they will perform work and make connections in an attempt to carve out a niche for themselves.

Samples
Since my roleplaying on here has been fairly limited, below are samples from roleplays off site.

Small note: I sometimes copy and paste dialogue from another player's response to make my own flow better. That'll appear in one of these samples.

Their goal was in reach. It loomed over the docks. An illithid ship wasn't the most ideal transportation, but with no others remaining after the bastards blasted them to pieces, it would have to do.

Kurth stepped out of the range of the githzerai's sword. Its wind was a haunting touch against his throat, a warning of what could have been if he had been but a second slower. He reclosed the distance, thrusting his own blade with ferocious precision. It sparked against the armor. He growled at the futility of his strike and followed with a kick at the knee. The moment the githzerai collapsed under his own weight, Kurth's sword finally fulfilled its purpose. Blood sprayed from the headless neck. That which got on Kurth hardly registered.

Only the other bodies, the living ones, did. He tried not to mind the illithid dragon any more than he had to, for the sake of his mettle. Their group agreed to focus on getting to the ship, and Kurth intended to stick to the plan. He wouldn't charge the fearsome dragon. He wasn't that foolish. But it was hard not to be aware of the way the dock trembled with every mighty step the dragon took. It was nearing them, attempting to join the fray. They couldn't risk it, not with so many other enemies among them.

A new squad of orcs charged towards them all. The one who took the lead closed in on Kurth. It raised its greataxe above its head. The powerful swing was too slow, and Kurth lopped off an arm just above the elbow. The cry of agony lasted but a second, right before Iado cleared the squad with a well-placed fireball.

"An opening is clear! Get to the ship!" Kurth shouted.

The group jumped on the opportunity. Skaaldor spearheaded the advance. Kurth decided to entrust it to him. Someone had to protect their rear and ensure that the others could slip through. He slashed at the back of a githzerai who tried to pursue the retreat. A kick thunked against his shield before he downed another.

They were almost through. Soon he could follow.

But they were too slow. An explosive pain swallowed Kurth's mind. He cried out. His arms fell limp at his sides. Barely did his fingers remain curled around his shield and sword. The damned dragon! It had gotten within range. His heart clenched with fear. He didn't yet notice whether any of the others had been hit by its psionic blast.

Blanketed by night and crouched behind a bush, Clint believed himself safe in his spying. So he watched. There were the two men who appeared to be...lovers? Clint's brow furrowed in discernment. No, the dwarf appeared confused and injured; the other man, feathered and alarmed--the one he followed? Whom he heard shout for help? That made sense. A third man stared at them, appearing to be coming out of a stupor. Clint squinted and leaned closer. Did he...have horns? The moonlight could be playing tricks, but he wanted to say yes. And was that a bear among them?

He didn't think to look up.

Meanwhile, the earth spoke to him. He only had to listen. With his palms against the ground, vibrations alerted him to another being. Bipedal. A hawk burst through the trees and into the free space in front of the watchtower. Someone followed after it.

"Show yourself, stranger! Friend or foe?"

Clint tensed. He had half the mind to believe the voice targeted the new arrival. Until he located its source. With bow drawn and a stare as piercing as the arrow notched upon it, the man regarded no one else but him. Clint's flesh pricked and foretold of a cold sweat. His jaw clenched. He tried to gauge the distance between them. Earth didn't exactly favor being moved. Experience made throwing up a wall easy, but he'd probably fair better trying to dive out of the arrow's path, if it came down to it.

He didn't want it to. Gods, he didn't want it to.

Believing the man could see him, Clint relinquished his spear and raised his hands, fingers splayed. "Friend," he announced, his voice as sturdy as rock and as rough as an oak's bark. Strong legs lifted him from the shadows of the bushes. Calmly, despite his racing heart, he stepped into the clearing, and also the moonlight, deciding to reveal himself to the group as a whole. There at the fringes he stood, cheeks streaked with dirt and black tattoos decorating his thick neck, exposed above the leather armor he wore. The ink maybe could have denoted a tribal background to those astute in those matters. Some might say "barbarians". To Clint, they had been friends, almost family, lost to various misfortunes over time, until a band of mercenaries had wiped out the remaining numbers and left him alone. That had been a few years ago.

He stared squarely at the one with the bow drawn on him. "Clint Bentham. I saw the feathered one in the sky. I was curious and followed. I mean no harm." He felt naked without his spear. He had his own bow and arrows, both shouldered, but they wouldn't serve him well with these odds. Still, he hoped the group was as, well, non-threatening as half of them appeared.

If You're Interested...

Drop me a PM! We'll talk things out there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back