• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Realistic or Modern Lol What Should We Call It?

TheImprobableOne

You should have expected this
~Rory~
The Ice burned his hands and numbed them. Drops of seeping moisture soaked the calloused crevasses on his palms and the stinging tears in his flesh began to forget that they used to be whole. Rory took a deep satisfied breath and then the small fistful of ice cubes clanged into the metal kitchen sink. He placed his hand on the edge of the counter and followed it methodically. The dorm room’s bathroom was a straight shot if he walked directly to the right from the kitchen sink. He was still learning his new home. Only two months ago he was in a hospital room in San Bernardino.

In the bathroom he gently lifted the small soap container. ‘Good, feels about half full.’ He thought and dabbed a little soap into his palm. Immediately the synthetic scent of flowers filled his nostrils. More cool water. It felt good on his bruised knuckles and reminded him that he used to train for a reason. Hitting a punching bag was nothing like hitting a real person. ‘I have to be ready to fight again..’ for a second he was filled with the thrill that he used to feel when he was psyching up for a fight. He turned his face towards the mirror that he knew was there and wondered if the scars on his eyes looked intimidating. Who am I kidding?’ He thought. Rory knew that if he got into a real fight now he wouldn’t stand a chance.

After washing his hands he walked back to his desk with a little difficulty. Sometimes the refrigerator made a quiet humming noise like a homing beacon. When it was on, Rory knew exactly where he was. It was his GPS. When it was off however, he had to rely on the much quieter air vents in his ceiling.

His apartment was small. Just three rooms. A bedroom, a small kitchenette with a refrigerator and fake wood cabinets, and a bathroom. It all smelled clean, though Rory knew that there must be smudges on the windows and mirrors. He hadn’t even opened all the little cabinets in the kitchenette. All of his furniture came with the room. A bed with a side table and a little lamp that he never turned on, a wooden dresser, a small wooden desk with a chair. The chair had an extra flat piece on the back legs that supported it when he leaned precariously back. He especially appreciated the chair.

Rory sat down and leaned back. His back pressed against the windbreaker draped over the chair. He heard a car pull up in front of the dorm building but did not think much of it. Instead he rested his hands on the Braille keyboard of his laptop, his fingers brushed against a small usb drive that he had left there the night before. It was his sisters. Suddenly he remembered the time he had spent listening to her on repeat. He picked it up and almost inserted it into his laptop just to listen to her voice one more time.. No. She wants me to move on. The top drawer of his desk rumbled as he opened and closed it and placed the usb on top. Easily accessible.

His phone rang. An automated voice. “Incoming call from ‘Jacob…’ Incoming call from ‘Jacob…” Oh right, time for work. He stood up and grabbed the small backpack off his bed and the windbreaker off his desk. On his way to the door his hand knocked into the corner of his desk but he barely noticed. There were rubber caps on all the sharp edges in his room.

Rory didn't want to waste time fumbling with his phone so he let it ring. “Incoming call from ‘Jacob…” He threw on his jacket and backpack, picked up the white cane from the doorframe and started heading out the door. He paused a moment.. leaned back inside and his hand clumsily wandered around the countertop searching for something. He felt the light metal frame of his aviators, took a moment not to stab himself in the eye while he put them on, and briskly began tapping away as he walked down the hallway towards the exit.

He was on the ground floor — benefits of being a disabled student. And made it to the parking lot just as his phone finished ringing. He hoped J would see him come out and not mind him ignoring the phone call.

As soon as he opened the door to the dorm his lungs were filled with the cool Maine air. It was October and he could still taste the rain from yesterday, though it wasn’t raining. The breeze smelt like earthy leaf piles and something that was almost cinnamon mixed with the gasoline from J’s car.

It was colder than he expected so Rory paused to take a faded green scarf out of his bag and draped it across his shoulders.

“Hey J! You here or what?” He spoke with a little sarcasm and smiled.

ekoutrakos ekoutrakos

A low grumble, could be heard softly over the sound of the man's car radio. Thankfully he was still the only one in the car for the moment. "Can you please make sure you have my car back to by 3?" His sister's voice radiated through the cars blue tooth system. "Yeah thanks again for letting me borrow it.." J responded as he rolled the window down and pulled up against the side of the curb. "Ay, man over here.." J offered in the man's direction before hearing his sister open her own desk drawer and shuffle some papers around. "Just please make sure its-"
"Yes, Elaine." J grumbled as he unlocked the door for his friend;no maybe fellow employee slid into the passenger seat. "Gotta go." He said to his sister before she could do anything else.
He understood why, she was paranoid J had just ran his own car into a construction site and owed the city about 3,000 plus fixing his car damage. Yet, it was his sisters car he wouldn't be that reckless would he? "Hey sorry man, sisters. Can't live with em, definitely can't live without him." J put the car in drive once the other man had gotten into the seat and closed the door. "I'll actually have to swing by her apartment and switch vehicles before I take you home, it'll only be like a 20 minute detour." Crinking his nose the man reached in the back seat and pulled a Granola bar ripping the package open with his teeth.
"Be to work in about 10 mins you have an amazing walking location man."

“Hey J! You here or what?”

“Ay, man over here.”

Rory quickly found his way to the passenger door. He winced as his walking cane scraped a little on the bottom of the car door and when he reached for the door handle his fingers crushed against an unfamiliar patch of metal. J must be driving a different car than usual. No wonder he didn't recognize it when J drove up earlier.

Rory played it cool, found the handle and slipped into the passenger seat. His bag and cane perched on his lap. J was just getting off the phone with a voice Rory didn't recognize.

“Yes Elaine… Gotta go”

Rory was just about to make a joking comment about how surprised he was that J could get a girls phone number when J turned and said “Hey sorry man, sisters. Can’t live with ‘em. Definitely can’t live without ‘em.”

The reminder caused a small, silent cannonball to go off in Rory’s chest. He smiled and nodded but couldn’t bring himself to say anything. He wanted to focus on anything else in the world. He took in a breath, deep but not too deep that J would notice. There, the faint smell of hot chocolate in the air. It was just sweet enough to lull the monster of pain in his chest back to a light slumber.

“I’ll actually have to swing by her apartment and switch vehicles before I take you home. It’ll only be like a 20 minute detour.”

Rory heard the crinkling of food packaging and the could smell a granola bar being eaten.

“Oh, yea sounds good.” He replied and let the engine drone on a little longer.

“Be to work in about ten minutes,” J said finally “You have an amazing walking location man.”

Rory realized he was probably making J uncomfortable by not talking “Benefits of being blindI guess.” He said. “The school actually helped me apply to Coffee Ben’s because it was so close to my dorm. I can usually walk the distance in about a half hour but driving sure beats walking so thanks… speaking of driving, what kind of car are we in? It better not be a soccer mom car,” he chided “I have a reputation to maintain.”

Users who are viewing this thread

Back