Video Games Loco's JRPG Odyssey (RMVX Ace)

M.J. Saulnier

Semi-Retired User
Loco's JRPG Odyssey
An Amateur Dev's Tale

Group 1.png

Prior to the update, I had begun posting statuses on my profile about my progress developing my own JRPG using RPG Maker VX Ace. Now that we're back to business as usual, I decided to make a thread that will act as sort of a blog to better organize my status reports on the all the wonder, awe, and headaches that come with using RM titles. :D

Today's update is the main characters. they've been reluctantly pruned and finalized. many of the almost 30 original concepts were cut. There are now only 16 playable characters, 2 secret. Death Bot is fairly easy to discover, finding the parts required for it however can be difficult. Lucretius is actually a secret character and will be difficult to acquire for use. You can also use alchemy to cure him, and you get his human form to train from lvl 1, and he has impressive starting stats with a Bard class (that you can manipulate easier than most. He's supposed to be a blank canvass character you build to your liking). 90% of the characters who were cut, maintain secondary roles in the plot of the game.

I love breaking in resources to get a feel for them when you combine different components from different sets. I have to get good at RM mapping again.

Test 1.png

Last edited:
Skill Tree 2.png

It was important to figure out how the skill tree script worked, and whether or not I could pull it off. I've got the basics on how everything works figured out, and I'm confident I can use this for my game. I've also added a Passive Skills script to work with it. I also realized that not only can I customize the number of skills on the Offense and Defense trees, but I can add more trees. Each level improves skill effects based on a multiplier setting I can modify for each skill in addition to the number of levels per skill. I've also come to the realization that I can dial back the amount of skills I had planned to give each character because of the level system making them less redundant. Skill and spell books will also exist so you can teach characters certain skills as well.

I've gotten my hands on some excellent music as well. There are so many great music packages available it's crazy.

Ayyyyyy rpg maker.
(I'm on MV, I think I've still got ace somewhere though. I need to start an actual project... And finish it. Lol.)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back