Other Little Things of Self-Discovery

Life.

Forever Wandering
Supporter
I'm an overthinker and sometimes I think about myself, analyze my behaviors, thoughts or actions. It happens from time to time that I'm doing something and think to myself, "Why did I do that?" Then later on that day I'm thinking about it. From my moments of thinking, here are a few quirks I've found about myself;

• I am bad at looking at other's faces, unless I feel a strong connection to them. It's not that I feel anxious to look at others, I just have the tendency not to. Unless I'm consciously thinking about eye contact, I don't.
  • My throat dries out and actually can hurt from times when I talk or laugh a lot. I'm not usually one to steer a conversation.
  • I prefer looking down at my feet while running. I don't know why but I feel like I move faster that way.
  • I stretch my arms whenever I'm trying to stop myself from crying. Either I lift them up in the arm or pull them across my chest.

These are just a few that I can think of at the moment. I know there are probably a few more that are frequent, weird quirks to myself. So I'm curious to know what other people discover about themselves? Perhaps there are some quirks we share? Maybe my quirks aren't as uncommon as I thought?

Ah man, I also do that over analysis of every single thing I do and say. I also have a similar thing to not looking at people's faces but mine is more due to a fear of eyes and paranoia. My throat also dries out after a while but I think I got better at remembering to drink water and relax my throat because I sing a lot lol
I'll list out some stuff I notice about myself as well:
- I constantly have a feeling of "invisible spiders" and am always rubbing or itching at something on my skin nervously, I didn't know I was that scared of bugs. Happens more frequently in areas that I have seen bugs in and forests.
- I rock back and forth a lot and bounce my leg even if I'm not nervous.
-I TALK IN MY SLEEP, my mom described a couple times where I sat up and start talking clearly. So embarrassing. (I know I didn't find this out on my own but... it haunts me lmao)
-When I get really badly jumpscared my entire body will tense up and release very quickly, and man does it hurt. It takes a very specific type of imagery (eyes) to get me like that, however.
-I constantly wear headphones but I find that I tend to have one muff off usually, and have to put it back on because I want surround sound- then I realize 30 minutes later I took it off again at some point.
-I gravitate towards dark haired people more, the lighter the hair color the less inclined I am to talk to the person. This also applies to dyed hair. It's strange and I don't know why I do this exactly, but I don't talk to people for the most part anyway.

Yikes, I would not be a fan of frequent sensations thinking there are bugs on me. I'm okay with bugs, but I don't like them touching me. Not even ladybugs or butterflies.
And that's very interesting about the hair color. Now it makes me think if there's a particular trait of people I gravitate towards?
Heh, I don't talk in my sleep. My brother used to and sometimes sleepwalk too. The only weird thing I can think of for sleep for me is that I rarely, like rarely, drool in my sleep, but let me take a nap and I can almost guarantee I'll drool. It's odd, sleep - I don't drool, napping - I do. It's like my body can tell what's what.
As for jumpscares, I tense up too but not too much. That's unfortunate that sometimes your body hurts after tensing.

Hi, Life! This is a. . . NOVEL idea for a thread ;)

+Whenever someone messages me, my first reaction is to ignore it for a few minutes or even hours until I can mentally prepare to socialize.
+When I stay up too late, I use the wrong you're (like this) out of exhaustion.
+When I notice a dog or cat, I gasp, stop, and gush over how cute the animal is even in public.
+I forget I'm left-handed until I pick up a pair of scissors and they fit weird.

Interesting thread XD
  • When I'm getting ready for some important event (for example public speech at a conference) I tend to get very hyperactive to the point I speak louder than usual. But when the event ends I fall asleep whenever it's possible.
  • Adding sugar to tea destroys the taste for me and I don't enjoy it as much. But somehow that doesn't apply to coffee.
  • I'm learning to play flute. Whenever I get to learn songs about flowers I learn them faster than songs about anything else. Even if the song about flowers is harder to play than let's say, a song about a river, I will play the song about flowers better.

Hi, Life! This is a. . . NOVEL idea for a thread ;)

+Whenever someone messages me, my first reaction is to ignore it for a few minutes or even hours until I can mentally prepare to socialize.
+When I stay up too late, I use the wrong you're (like this) out of exhaustion.
+When I notice a dog or cat, I gasp, stop, and gush over how cute the animal is even in public.
+I forget I'm left-handed until I pick up a pair of scissors and they fit weird.

Pfft lol I applaud you for the pun

I didn't realize you're left-handed! How neat! But you forget about it? 😅 I mean makes sense since they create scissors usually for right-handed people.

Interesting thread XD
  • When I'm getting ready for some important event (for example public speech at a conference) I tend to get very hyperactive to the point I speak louder than usual. But when the event ends I fall asleep whenever it's possible.
  • Adding sugar to tea destroys the taste for me and I don't enjoy it as much. But somehow that doesn't apply to coffee.
  • I'm learning to play flute. Whenever I get to learn songs about flowers I learn them faster than songs about anything else. Even if the song about flowers is harder to play than let's say, a song about a river, I will play the song about flowers better.

Ah, that's so interesting that flowers hold a different mindset for you. Perhaps you were a pollinator in a previous life and are specially attracted to flowers lol
But I see the allure of flowers. They evoke some sort of feelings.

Ah, that's so interesting that flowers hold a different mindset for you. Perhaps you were a pollinator in a previous life and are specially attracted to flowers lol
But I see the allure of flowers. They evoke some sort of feelings.
haha who knows XD I noticed this recently when I got more variety of songs to play.

haha who knows XD I noticed this recently when I got more variety of songs to play.

Is it a common flute that most see in orchestras that you are learning to play, or a particular flute of a certain culture?

Another thing to add on my weird quirks is that I tend to mispronounce and/or mash words together despite English being my native language. To those that speak different languages, are there words that you mash up together? I know there are certain languages that pronunciation of words can be critical.
An example of my mashing of words, one time I was trying to say something like "that was a fail" or "that sucks" and well it went to "that f*cks."
It's like my brain thinks up of a few options to express what I want to say but my mouth speaks too quickly and just puts it all together.

Is it a common flute that most see in orchestras that you are learning to play, or a particular flute of a certain culture?
Chinese bamboo flute (dizi).
You can see it in Chinese orchestras too XD

lol I also have mashing of words sometimes when I'm tired but it happens to be in my native language (which is not English) but actually not in English! Maybe exactly because in English I need to think what I'm saying and in native language I don't think XD

lol I also have mashing of words sometimes when I'm tired but it happens to be in my native language (which is not English) but actually not in English! Maybe exactly because in English I need to think what I'm saying and in native language I don't think XD

Oh, duh me. I could've probably asked that question a lot better lol.

Ooooh that makes sense. I guess for those who know multiple languages, some languages they hardly ever fumble on words since it requires thought and I guess pacing, in terms of making the conversation understandable.

It's my favorite instrument to play, sadly I don't have one with me now.

I am bad at looking at other's faces, unless I feel a strong connection to them. It's not that I feel anxious to look at others, I just have the tendency not to. Unless I'm consciously thinking about eye contact, I don't.
I have difficulty with that as well, for me it's just a result of poor social skills. It is very noticeable and can be a problem, but I 'think' I am improving.

An example of my mashing of words, one time I was trying to say something like "that was a fail" or "that sucks" and well it went to "that f*cks."
It's like my brain thinks up of a few options to express what I want to say but my mouth speaks too quickly and just puts it all together.
1618343937185.png

That's the kind of thing you say once, but your friends won't let you forgot for the rest of your life.

View attachment 872476

That's the kind of thing you say once, but your friends won't let you forgot for the rest of your life.

I remember saying this in front of my mom but she's probably forgotten about it now lol

That's another thing that's odd about me, my memory. It's hard to gauge since it's not a fixed measurement or anything but I feel like I remember memories below the average person.

I must say, this is quite the interesting idea for a thread. And indeed, all of ye that have posted so far are quite the quirky, interesting bunch of people! So, if ye don't mind at all, I'd like to share a few things about myself, given a thought about them. :closed eyes open smile:

• I've copped on to the fact that I pick up and incorporate other people's mannerisms into how I act. I feel like a lot of people do this (especially when it comes to acting like parents) so that I end up using a lot of phrases that my parents or grandmother say. But I've also realised that I've ended up laughing like this fella I watch on YouTube, which I thought was odd but not something I felt like changing (forgive me if that's a bit creepy).
  • I never visibly get angry most of the time, though I tend to imagine a scenario in my head where I dispense with that anger, whatever cause it may have.
  • I have two different types of laugh; one which is really deep and then one that is very squeaky. Well-thought out jokes or innuendos tend to get me to laugh in the former manner, but things that happen suddenly tend to get me sounding awfully high-pitched!
  • Certain emotional scenes, at least very recently, and especially if they involve a relationship that is somewhat analogous to one I have in my own life, tend to hit me very hard and unexpectedly.
  • I never like to finish reading, for a day, on an odd number page: I always try to finish reading at the start of a new chapter.
  • I'd be similar to a lot of ye in here, in that I have a hard time looking at other people's faces for a given period of time, especially if they're somebody I'm not close to. It just makes me feel awful awkward.
Well, those are a few of my oddities, though I hope ye didn't find them too weird to read!

I worry about things I have forgotten, from one day to the next, or from one year unto the other. I worry because there is the potential that there exists something to worry about.

Interesting thread idea :0

• I have a bad roach phobia, so bad that my brain likes to conjure up images of the little buggers and imagine that they're crawling on me. I have to look and remind myself that my brain's just being rude.
  • I feel like I incorporate a lot of what my friends say into my daily speech 🤔 Though I have to imagine that's pretty common...
  • I also feel like I'm pretty bad at emotional expression? What I mean by that is that I feel like the look I show on my face rarely feels like what I'm feeling (especially with anger). No matter how angry I am, my face doesn't change. At least, that's how it feels. I can't exactly look at my face in those moments, so not like I'd know for sure. 🤷‍♀️
  • And like many other people in here lmao, I also have trouble staring people in the face for long. After a few seconds I become filled with the urge to look away.
  • I have trouble with my lefts and rights even now. I have to consciously think about which side I mean.
  • I have a fair bit of stims. Like having to reach out to touch and feel something just to see what it feels like, or rocking in my seat, twitches that I can't ignore or it feels very uncomfortable, flexing various muscles because - if I don't - I get very uncomfortable.

I have a hard time reading people so I kinda just humour to lighten up irl social interactions. It works as well as about half the time because I have a weird sense of humour and timing. I don’t mind it though. I’d rather be authentic to who I am - an awkward weirdo - rather than play pretend to gain social favour. That’s too tiring to put up a new face to new people.

Revisiting this with something new I noticed about myself. For a reason, that will be explained afterwards, I automatically reply more often than not with a "Yeah." following after words of thanks from someone. An odd response I developed over time and one I do not mean to sound insincere or anything considering the tone I speak it in which is usually a higher, more cheerful pitch. But I always think to myself, "What the heck? You respond with yeah? What the heck me?" However, I substituted it in place of "no problem." The connotation in which some people can receive "no problem" guess stuck with me and so I changed it to "yeah anytime" but at some point dropped "anytime." So now whenever someone gives me thanks I have to take a few seconds to think through and say "you're welcome." It's a weird thing that I don't think about often until it slips out.

I know echolalia is common in people like me, but I've always noticed little bits and pieces of stuff I've seen or heard popping up in the way I talk. With some people it's very obvious, but for me I've found it's a lot more subtle.

I’ve always been drawn to more quiet people. Although I don’t mind the talkative bunch, they’re quite friendly and fun to be around. I’ve had a lot more interesting conversations with my friends who tend to be on the “quiet” side. It’s fun getting to know them slowly. On that note, I also tend to get to know people one person at a time. With groups, with everyone talking all at once, I can’t really focus on many conversation threads going on at the same time.

- I can always crack my right knuckle, even after I done it a dozen time in a row.
- When I ride a motorbike, I occasionally let out sounds effects. Like I would say "whooosh" when doing a sharp turn or "brbrbrbrbbrb" when going on uneven road.
- I have relatively silent footsteps, my friend said if I was an RPG character I would be an assassin.

I tend to apologize a lot, to people and and in situations, even though I’m technically not at fault. For some reason, I fear that what I’ve said may have offended them (More of an irrational fear than anything. I’m usually picky with my words and try to phrase things softly rather than harshly.) or I empathize with the situation enough to feel awful about it. It’s definitely a self-esteem thing that I’m working out since I’ve been playful teased about saying “Sorry” more than I need to.

I relate to a lot of this, especially the eye contact deal! (Wonder how many of us are neurodivergent 😏)

Some things about me are:
  • I will get fixated on a word and repeat it 10-20 times, either out loud or mentally
  • I need to touch things I pass while walking, such as walls or items in a store
  • Relatedly, I will break twigs off bushes and trees while walking outside to snap into smaller pieces
  • I often say the thing I want to say second or third when I'm trying to make a point

I relate to a lot of this, especially the eye contact deal! (Wonder how many of us are neurodivergent 😏)

Some things about me are:
  • I will get fixated on a word and repeat it 10-20 times, either out loud or mentally
  • I need to touch things I pass while walking, such as walls or items in a store
  • Relatedly, I will break twigs off bushes and trees while walking outside to snap into smaller pieces
  • I often say the thing I want to say second or third when I'm trying to make a point
Okay, considering that my best friend has (diagnosed) ADHD, they genuinely believe that I might have it as well with how much they relate to me lmao

Also! Some other things I've recently thought about!
  • I was probably the worst classmate to have in school. I mean, I was quiet. Except when I wasn't. I've mentioned my stims before, but during school I had one wherein I constantly cleared my throat. It wasn't that I had something stuck in my throat, it was literally that I had to or I would be left with pretty severe discomfort. I've stopped now (ish?) but occasionally I fall back into a loop of it. I also had a pretty severe nervous habit in, like... Up until junior high where I would twist my hair.
  • When I'm really happy (usually when I'm talking with friends), I find myself making exaggerated noises.
  • I have a favorite rock (gem thing?) that I hold and rub, like a worry stone.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back