• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

OOC Little Talks

No, sorry, just haven't been up to it.

Of course.

Can you just clarify to me Maggie's positioning? You were quite specific I guess but I still find myself unsure if she is playing the vanguard or rearguard.

Asher and Battojutsu are going ahead to make sure the way is clear. Auri will be in the middle with Dina, Laurolf closely behind them accompanied by Violet's adjutant (whom she instructed to protect Dina at all costs). That leaves Meric and A'kal to cover the rear. Violet is lagging behind just to make sure everyone is moving, but she will likely relocate any second. Keep in mind that currently the only danger is from behind, with the enemy at about 150ft and closing. They are in ranged weapons range.

Where does Maggie fit in?

She waved Auri to go before her, remaining safely ahead of Violet and the line of rearguard defenders ("ahead" if one was running away from the oncoming soldiers, that is) but not wanting to go too far in case she was needed.

Maggie is between Laurolf/Violet's adjutant and Meric/A'kal. Probably closer to Laurolf than Meric.

We kin haz in-game post from Wolfie-face? I haz chocolate! I will bribe, er, share! =)

It's a game, not a job so kick back and relax, bud! We're all here for the fun (which you provide nicely, thank you!). =)

"No takers"? The scene looks like it's totally Maggie's move (given Violet's last line there?). I didn't want to interrupt! I am waiting for her act before Auri goes.

Of course, of course. Though it's not really meant to be "Maggie's move" simply because Violet happened to say that just then. She's merely referencing what Maggie and her were talking about earlier. It's anyone's move.

Though yes, I suppose it does feel like Maggie's the one supposed to react first.

In truth, we're at the end of the chapter. Another two posts per player, I think, and that'll be that. At this point there's nothing that can be done to really affect the outcome, but that's only because we've been building towards this outcome for a while now *woof*

I applaud your efforts, Dann and Jack, but this time the Chosen have gotten themselves in a situation where they simply cannot win without external help.

This isn't the way it necessarily had to go down, mind you, but it is what I anticipated would most likely happen, from the very start - even if I couldn't predict where exactly this 'divine intervention' would take place. If you think about, it does make sense, though I suppose neither Auri nor Maggie had the ingame knowledge to expect something like this (possibly Maggie, since she was informed back in Dunn on the Chosen's previous adventures). It'll all be explained in the next chapter *woof*

Thanks for chiming in, Dann. As you can all probably tell, the chapter is pretty much over, and I'm just collecting final posts. Any reactions you guys feel like sharing OOC? Deus ex machina accusations? I'm ready and able to take those! XD

Meanwhile, as you also might have been alerted, I went ahead and officially reopened recruitment for the first time in... I can't remember! I would have preferred to hand pick a couple trusted people, but I decided to try publicly. I'm thinking it's been too long since I interacted with the rest of RpN anyway, and who knows, we might all end up meeting some fine people. Paws crossed that literally anyone makes it through my selection gauntlet *rawrrrr*

Deus ex machina accusations?
What? You mean that was you, and not Maggie's prayers at work? ^;3^

Nah, I'm just happy we're going to make it out! I'll have an IC post for Maggie up sometime tomorrow.

Nicely written post, Jack Elarithon Jack Elarithon . I assumed that Asher hadn't been in the Shadow Realm just then, which is why I didn't include a description of how things seemed to him, but you've described it quite admirably *woof*

Announcement
Kaerri Kaerri Dannigan Dannigan Jack Elarithon Jack Elarithon

It is with great pleasure, not to mention relief, that I hereby declare Chapter VI: Eye of the Storm completed!

Oh my God. It took sweet time - all of 3 years, 4 months, and 20 days - a total of 1239 days ladies and gentlemen; but we DID it *howl*

Honestly, I never doubted we'd do it, but there were times when I almost doubted. It's insane to think that Chapter VI took as much time as all of the previous chapters combined. Crazy. Yes, I know, I know - there's reasons for that. It was a really turbulent chapter, and I don't mean just in-game. The real-life circumstances were the real culprit here. Some of us couldn't post some of the time. Some of us were simply too depressed to post (mostly me I guess). Some of us disappeared along the way. When I look back, well... First I still can't believe it took this long. Then I'm filled with longing for a better time, and quite a bit of regret. Finally, I just wish I could remember all of the stuff that happened, in-game XD. Boy, is that chapter recap going to come in handy...

Yes, now that the main chapter thread has been finished and locked, all that's left is for me to add its summary to the recapitulation thread. I'm pretty sure everyone's going to welcome the chance to read that, hah :P Speaking of everyone... As you already know, I have reopened Amaranth to new players, as promised long ago, and am currently going over the character creation process with a couple of people. It looks promising! Incidentally, this is the reason why it took me a week to put together the closing post - all of this has been more time consuming than I anticipated.

I want to take this opportunity to thank each and every single one of you - my players, my friends - for making it all possible. It is only due to your unfailing and continued support that Amaranth is still around. Because you stuck around. Even when things were less than interesting, even when I was too lazy to post, even when you had your own lives to contend with, you kept contributing to this story we're writing together, and that's just plain amazing. I am extremely thankful to all of you, and I hereby renew my promise to keep doing everything I can to justify your faith in me by making this game the best that it can be.

Wowzer. I hope all that made half as much sense as I hope it did. I stayed up late again, and I'm really tired, but I will sleep better knowing that it's official now: Chapter VI is DONE. Damn right *woof*

The game is halfway done, but the best is yet to come. Also the most dangerous. Hopefully the most interesting. And fun. So see you in the next one, team! Stay tuuuuned :D*rawrrrr*

I dedicate this chapter to those who couldn't be with us today to see it finished.
Most of all, I dedicate it to the girl with whom it begun; the one around whose character it revolved,
and the one without whom there wouldn't have been an Amaranth at all.
To Petal, wherever she is. My thoughts and prayers remain with you *howl*

Ah, I see you've met the latest addition to the lineup. Official welcome from myself as well *woof*

I hope we can call you Bone? Saying "Bone2pick" every time is bound to get real old real fast, and besides, I like bones. I'm a wolf, remember? *rrrrrrr*

But on with the news. I finally finished writing the recap for Chapter VI. Sorry it took so long... I was busy with RL, busy with (other) Amaranth stuff, and well, obviously this recap is the longest yet, though I tried my best to condense it to only what actually matters. Might have failed a little, to be honest. Meh. I still highly suggest you all read it, just to jog your memories if nothing else! Besides that, made a few fixes to other stuff, which I'm making known in the patch notes below.

Amaranth version [insert_integer]
  • Chapter VI: Eye of the Storm recap is finished
  • Updated and cleaned up the Quests thread
  • Vittorio Valtieri is now officially an NPC, since Grey went AWOL
  • Dina Ailsa Tenárus is now officially played by yours truly, in Petal's absence.
  • Obviously, we have a new player!
Things next on the list:
  • Polish W.A.R.S. and finish the long announced "quick step-by-step reference guide"
  • Review and if needed redesign the character sheet template
  • Deal with the remaining potential new players (one accepted, one retired, two remaining)
  • Launch the next chapter before existing players lose their patience and ragequit

What follows is some rambling. Read at own risk *woof*

I'd like to make a special note about the player lineup and NPCs. As you know, the game's become cluttered with NPC party members due to all of the people who left the game or disappeared from the site altogether. Amaranth was never meant to be an NPC-driven game, however, so the time has come for me to finally fix that. I haven't been able to do it so far because I wanted to do it the "natural" way. Meaning not by proclaiming OOC that everyone should just pretend like character X has never actually existed. No. I prefer to look for ways to get them out of the way gently, such as by getting them killed, or having them go and do something else, etc. but in any case what they have and have not done remains part of the timeline.

What this means is that starting from early next chapter, the Chosen party is going to lose some NPCs while getting some players - net result being that there will be more players than NPCs in it. Perfectly balanced, as all things should be. I already know how this will happen, but all that I'm going to say for now is that it will make perfect sense and won't feel forced. It will be a good thing, all in all.

This ties into the matter of Dina. Unlike what I usually do, I have decided to keep Dina as a player character, despite the fact that Petal has disappeared from the site at the start of Chapter VI and most likely won't return. However... Considering how important Dina is for the story, obviously I can't just get rid of her. You might think: "Well, just make her into an NPC and then have her stay in the Resistance HQ, that makes perfect sense if she's all that important; she should be protected in the background and at the same time that's a convenient excuse to NPC her". You're right, it does make perfect sense, and it would be a good idea. However... Considering how... close... I was with Dina's player, and how much I cared about the character she was playing, I can't actually bear to execute the perfect plan we just described.

Additionally, consider also that I am probably the only other person in the world except Petal who is capable of roleplaying Dina. I couldn't roleplay Meric, or Violet, or Laurolf - that's why I not just NPCd them, but reworked them a little. I had to, to have any chance of playing them. With Dina it's different. I have always loved and understood her. She is in many ways like Petal. And though my performance as Dina won't be 100% perfect, I feel like it will be close enough. More importantly, I guess I'd just really like to do it. Where I fall short ought to be accounted for by what Dina went through with Ilhirel (as you'll learn), and generally her development as a young woman.

And a final consideration: To be completely blunt, Dina isn't going to want to play the part of a sheltered princess in the Resistance HQ while all her friends go out risking their lives. So even if we all agreed this was best, Dina wouldn't be happy about it. And I care about what she wants, as weird as that might sound. She wants adventure, and mystery, and love, and maybe a little danger, too. And Maker knows she shouldn't have to suffer just because her player disappeared. Not when she's got me.

Originally, I actually planned on having my own character as well. You might say that an NPC is literally just a term for a character played by the Storyteller, but for me that's not really true. I'll never go into the same depth with an NPC as I would with what I consider my own character, nor will I care as deeply about them. They might come and go, while my character should remain a member of the main party, just like anyone else's. So it's not the same.

Originally, I wanted Ilhirel to be my character. That's why I started each chapter with an intro post about her. I was waiting to get at the point where she really enters the story, and planning to play her more actively from there on. That's where we are now, and I might still do that if I can figure out a good way to go about it. But that again wouldn't be quite the same, since she's not in the party (lol, try to imagine that, anyone? XD). So I'll play Dina if nothing else, though I will most likely include her stuff into my Storyteller posts in order to avoid double-posting. I hope everyone is fine with that.

Anyway, TLDR; The story is about to get a lot more player-driven so be prepared for the consequences of that, also I'm playing Dina from now on bcs reasons wuf wuf

Users who are viewing this thread

Back