• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

OOC Little Talks

Right! Off we go! *woof*

After some experimentation, I managed to scrounge up a battlemap for Andei and Rekai's encounter. I'm afraid it's pretty basic. Hopefully you get the cliff's edge and drop, because I'm pretty bad with elevation and perspective and can't for the life of me make it clear that you're on a hill, not a field. Or the base of a slope, anyhow. About halfway between the camp and the wolves the terrain starts to ramp, up until some point off-map but not too far. This is the evolution of one of my earlier battlemaps, but in the future I might experiment more and they will hopefully get better *woof*

To Dann/Kaerri/Parrot - those potions you got from the healer will be assigned to Maggie's inventory once I'm done with the character sheet redesign (soon), or else to the inventories of whoever gets them by then! In the meantime, you are to gather your party and venture forth. It gets a little tricky since your next scene is supposed to be at the spot where Andei/Rekai are right now, and they're not yet done, so we will have to de-synchronize everyone's watches I guess lol *woof*

Thanks for letting us know!

If you like, we can say we just lack the time to travel to where they are before their combat ends? That might take out the "tricky" part. =)

Actually, my bad. I've stated that we're roleplaying both scenes at about the same time (10h-11h), yet I've also said that the dragonhunters left Haven early in the morning. So if they've had a lead of several hours, and it only takes about an hour to get to the scene of the dragon attack (the Chosen's next destination), then the hunters must be quite a ways farther by now. Everything checks out, I just spaced out for a moment there, hm. I mixed up the scene of the dragon attack and the dragonhunters' current location *woof*

I understand that Andei is a bit busier than usual lately, but he has promised to do what he can to get through this encounter quickly. I hope nothing's happened in the meantime to make matters worse, but he's informed me when he joined that for certain reasons he might become periodically unavailable.

None of that excuses you from posting, Rekai! :P Do you need help?

With everyone's permission, I've gone and moved us to the next scene. It's assumed here that the Chosen walked uneventfully for about an hour, until Carn signaled in some way that they reached the place. If Parrot Parfait Parrot Parfait would be as kind as to make it so... 😇 What follows is entirely dependent on everyone's actions, but I don't expect to spend a lot of time here. See what you can do *woof*

I was hoping to get a post written before the holiday, but it looks like that's not happening, so it'll probably be Saturday at least before I can post. Don't wait for me, I'll catch up to wherever we are when I get there. ^33^

I was waiting for you, Dann, or Jack to post something since I don't have anything to reply to just off of Carn's post. It's fine if you're busy Kaerri, we're definitely not waiting on just you. But if you and Dann are both busy, and Jack Elarithon Jack Elarithon doesn't reply in the next couple of days, I'll improvise something by the end of the week *woof*

In other news, I am still waiting on both Andei Andei and Rekai Leon Rekai Leon to post. And they're definitely not in a situation that calls for long, elaborate, inspired posts of art, anything that makes your character's intentions clear will work, really! *woof* If either of you have a problem, don't sit on it, let me know. We really shouldn't be spending so much time on a single combat situation.

I’m sorry for the delay. Most, if not all of my problems are about IRL stuff, unfortunately, but I will do my best to reply today.

As I've said to Andei, you don't have to always have a big, detailed post, Rekai. Those take time. Sometimes it's better to reply with something short, just to keep things moving rather than waiting for ideal conditions. This can be especially true during combat scenarios, because even if you only make an average of say, 10 posts to resolve a fight, and you take a week to write up a high quality post each time, well - then it's going to take over 2 months just for that single fight.

I would much prefer a post made up of literally 2-3 sentences, but in return to be able to timely resolve the situation and move on. Sometimes speed is more important than quality *woof*

And it is done! Apologies for the lateness - it did end up a bit rushed and I'm not sure if I managed to incorporate the combat system well, but I'm sure Wolf will be kind enough to correct me!

Update! I was supposed to post yesterday or the day before... sorry. Way to set an example lol *whine*

Anyhow, I wanted to reflect on the current combat situation. First of all, Andei and Rekai, you both did a good job. No need to be nervous! :) I've noticed that both of you seem to have taken the same approach but kind of in a different way, if that makes sense. You were both very specific, which is always a good thing, except Andei separated the technical stuff while Rekai incorporated it into his post. Both is correct! I'm not planning to make you all adhere to some strict way of doing it - as long as your posts are well written and it is clear what is going on, as far as I'm concerned the goal is accomplished *woof*

That said, I don't want you to think you have to be this specific and always use the grid coordinates and all that. Notice that I've taken the liberty of not labeling anything in my reply, for no particular reason, just felt like it, but I made sure (at least I hope I did?) that in conjunction with the updated battlemap, everything was clear. We actually spent most of the game using much less elaborate and less accurate maps than this, and the grid/coordinates are actually still a novelty thing. I'm not sure yet if I'll keep it, or how the battlemap might change in the future - I'm doing it all by hand using image-editing software so it's kind of time consuming (yes even the grid itself is manually built, so it takes more than a few clicks to change the map dimensions). I also realized that, since I reduced the token size by about 50% in an effort to make the map smaller yet able to show more, it's a little tricky having enough room for the tokens and their labels. Well, we'll see.

Some actual notes, though:
  • Andei Andei you stated that your character moved to P15, but with a movement speed of 30ft you would only be able to clear 6 squares and still have enough time to pull off a ranged attack. I assumed that you would be fine with reaching R15 and attacking from there.
  • Rekai Leon Rekai Leon your character moved even farther, but since you said that Faron sprinted, that's ok. The thing I want you to note is that I've also accepted Faron casting Ignite while sprinting. Normally, a character can for example move + attack/use item, but if they sprint then they are focusing on movement and essentially using up their whole turn on movement. However, I did state in the handbook that a sprinting character's actions are limited to what they could reasonably do while sprinting, and since Ignite is a self-cast spell that doesn't require aiming, channeling, or concentration, I decided that it's feasible that Faron can use his whole turn for movement but also be able to cast Ignite on the way. The thing to keep in mind is that you won't always be able to pull this off. Remember that we are assuming a combat turn to take about 6 seconds. Please also note that while Ignite is designed to be used on hand-held weapons, I like your idea to use it on Faron's greaves as well, opening the potential for some powered-up kicks as well. But you'll have to Ignite the greaves with a second cast if you want that, you're out of time for this round! *woof*
  • And a final note on the stances. I like how you both told me what stance your characters were taking in advance. Technically, even the defensive stance actually assumes you are already fighting someone in melee, yet at the time of your posting your characters weren't actually engaged in a melee fight yet. For Faron, this came in useful because one of the wolves reached and attacked him on the same turn, and I immediately knew how Faron is handling it. For Ingvar, the information ended up being unnecessary because he's not under attack just yet, but he could have been! If you ever fail to mention the stance, I will either ask or assume you are using the default Fighting Stance.
All in all pretty solid, I've no big corrections to make!

Announcement:

Hi everyone! Just wanted to let you know that, since we're well into December now and the holiday season has all but begun, I won't be expecting much from any of you in terms of activity. I will, of course, continue updating the game as usual as much as I can, per replies I get if/as you are able. I was hoping we'd get this chapter done in 2020, but also always realized that that probably wouldn't happen - but it doesn't matter, I'm sure we'll be able to sort it out in a timely fashion early next year.

One thing that I would really love to finish is the currently ongoing combat encounter involving Rekai and Andei. I realize you two will probably be busy just as much as the others, but I'd appreciate it if you could spare at least a few minutes now and then to let me know what your characters are doing. Quantity is more important than quality for a change, because I'm basically having to hold off advancing the story for the Chosen until you guys are done. I will also do what I can in order to help the encounter along.

I won't dispense with the congratulations and best wishes just yet, since the holidays are not quite here yet :P So that's all for now. Thank you *woof*

Tags: Kaerri Kaerri Dannigan Dannigan Jack Elarithon Jack Elarithon Parrot Parfait Parrot Parfait Andei Andei Rekai Leon Rekai Leon

I hope to get a post up today or tomorrow.

Anytime you're able. I'm sorry to say that we're still waiting on Andei. I hope he's alright, he hasn't checked in for a while but he did note upon joining Amaranth that, due to RL reasons, he might disappear for short periods of time unannounced. I'll give him a bit longer if that's ok with Rekai *woof*

Anytime you're able. I'm sorry to say that we're still waiting on Andei. I hope he's alright, he hasn't checked in for a while but he did note upon joining Amaranth that, due to RL reasons, he might disappear for short periods of time unannounced. I'll give him a bit longer if that's ok with Rekai *woof*
I’m okay with that. I will boop your snoot in meantime. *boops*

I heard from Andei, and he appears to be having some difficulties right now that are keeping him from posting in a timely fashion. We agreed that it was ok to continue and let him catch up when he is able. I'll leave his character's actions ambiguous and assume that he is supporting the team as best as he is able.

Posted an update for Rekai and Parrot; Kaerri mentioned she might yet reply to what was posted before so I'm waiting for that *woof*

This week has been ... well, I can't say bad, but I just haven't had writing in me >.> Please don't wait on me, though I will try to post soon -- I'll just react to whatever's going on when I get there. Maggie has nothing specifically pressing to say at present.

It's alright, I was mainly killing time until Rekai and Andei were finished with their combat encounter. That's why there's nothing special going on for the Chosen yet. Though I hoped you guys might enjoy some conversation RP on the way *woof*

Hey Wolf Rawrrr Wolf Rawrrr , I have just realized that there are 2 column 16s in our battle map 😂. Also, could you please not delete the images of the previous turns? Some people (including me) may be interested in re-reading the RPs, and it is difficult to imagine what was going on without the images. Thanks.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back