• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

OOC Little Talks

Brief update: Still not done with the new scene and map expansion. Sorry *whine*

However, while you're waiting, I thought I'd go ahead and show you something that's already been completed *woof*

We are waving goodbye to the old, original Amaranth world map (this one).

It was hand drawn and digitally colored/labeled back in 2012, and though I always felt a little proud of it, I also always knew that it wasn't very good. It's main value is sentimental at this point. I meant for years to redesign it, and, well - the time has finally come! As I set about creating the North Asgard expansion, I realized that, first of all, I wouldn't be able to replicate the old map's style (and I did want the maps to match and appear as if they belong to the same world). And second, that instead of trying to replicate something I made years ago, I should improve upon it instead. But, since my drawing skills suck, I realized that I was going to have to take the fully digital approach this time.

And I thought: "Well, if I'm doing that, why not redesign the map of West Asgard at the same time?"

So that's what I did. Now, don't worry - the new world map is still about 90% the same in terms of where the familiar stuff is. The shape of the coastline is nearly identical, the landmarks are there, and all of the important locations that the story has relied on over the years are still accounted for (even the distances between them are as close as possible to before). This took some doing, but I'm happy to say that I've reached a satisfying result. You should be able to immediately recognize everything for what it is.

At the same time, you will immediately realize that a lot of stuff has been added/tweaked as well. The old world map was pretty bland and empty - the excuse I've used was that locations would be added as we went along, but obviously the party has only visited a few places, so there weren't many edits. This has now changed. Some things that were present on the old map, but weren't labeled for some reason, now are. Many more things have been added and labeled in addition. I still can't say that this is 100% a completed map, as there's no point in noting the location of every single landmark and hamlet unless they become important over the course of the story - but I've still gone and added a whole bunch of cities, towns, and forts across the land just to fill up the awkward empty space. It should now feel like a much more lively place! Oh, and the coloring is obviously much, much better this time around *rawrrr*

You can check out the new map in the World Map thread, where I will be including the North Asgard expansion once it is completed. It seems to display fine on its own for me, but you might want to open it in a new window and ensure you are viewing it at 100% zoom to be able to truly appreciate everything the way it's meant to be. By default it's probably like 75% or something. Oh, and, once you've done that, you can also take a look at a new rendering of Knight-Commander Natalis' map showing the locations of the four gateways that the other teams will be assaulting in the upcoming mission by clicking here. Felt like I owed you that *woof*

Stay tuned for the continuation of the adventure! *howl*

Just wanted to say sorry about the delay, guys. Been a little busy and I'm still behind on stuff, but I promise to get the ball rolling this weekend, regardless of my state of unpreparedness. Perhaps some pressure will give me more of an incentive to get it done lol *woof*

What? Our Wolf wants us to pressure him O.K.!

Perhaps you were expecting to be given a hard time? Hah! =)
"Pressure" by Billy Joel

192.gif

Yikes. Well, clearly I missed that deadline lol. I'm just so sloooow, I write at a speed of about 1 paragraph per hour or something. Had something in the works but there's no time to finish it, and I'd rather not rush a badly done thingy :c

Been a little hard balancing work, gaming, Amaranth, and what little social life I have, sorry. I'll be away for 2 days now, but as soon as I'm back you can be assured that I'm back to working on Amaranth full steam, including the new map. My list of priorities right now:
  1. Start the next part of the chapter
  2. Finish the North Asgard world map expansion
  3. Adjust the character sheets (mostly formatting and inventory management)
  4. Polish W.A.R.S. (basically finish revamping the sorcery types players are using)
This should all be done before you guys make any real headway into the mission. Thank you for your patience and understanding and see you soon with some updates! (and maybe a surprise or two) *woof*

Enjoy the social life and all the rest, dear Wolf. ^33^ This is supposed to be fun for you too, not a job! I admit I'd like to get moving, but that's because I miss Amaranth, not because I'm impatient. Take all the time you feel is necessary.

The moment a role-playing game becomes an obligation, it ceases to be a game. People play games to have fun. Amaranth should be no different. =)

Almost forgot - have you guys decided on what your story is going to be, if or rather when someone inevitably asks?

Remember, Carn's group was in the area recently posing as a mountaineering party. As far as anyone from Haven knows, they were there to hike in the Frostback Mountains until they got attacked by the dragon, at which point Carn dragged his wounded friend to the local healer's house and returned to Darkvale alone. Since instead of returning alone just to pick up his friend and leave once again, Carn's come back with another, more colorful party, I hope you've agreed on some kind of explanation, like Knight-Commander Natalis advised! *woof*

Not asking because I personally need to know - I'm fine with finding out when the local NPCs do. This is more of a reminder for you all, in case that you haven't decided yet :)

We're a nice, well-armed group, too. What say we're coming back to see if we can reclaim the bodies of Carn's friends, but more prepared to face combat just in case the dragon is still around? We have a priestess with us to do whatever last rites might be called for. ^;3^

And an ambassador along to make certain the whole expedition is done to the satisfaction of the drakkar? =)

Hmm... perhaps not. Maybe the Sorceress's forces already know of a turned Drakkar ambassador... Though with Auri's figure, I think it'd be impossible to put him in a proper disguise!

Oh, btw, I made a continuity error on the Carn's inner dialogue. It's implied he's never really talked with dwarfs before, but his childhood says otherwise. I'll be make a quick change that runs in line with Dannigan's and then maybe a post.

Well, if we run into the Sorceress's forces, they'll probably be on the lookout for a party of our combinations anyway. =)

I'm glad that Carn has spoken to dwarves before. If he hadn't, he'd really be missing out! =)

That's a good point about Auri being added to Ilhirel's wanted list, since he was seen escaping with the Chosen through the portal in Alicante, but the village of Haven is very remote and very not near any location that the fellowship might be expected to go next. If anyone there recognized Auri on account of his association with the Chosen, that would mean they knew to be on the lookout for the party in general, and that in turn would imply that the Sorceress knew your plans - and you'd have a whole different problem on your hands 😇

I should probably be saying this IC, but I'm really just reiterating what has been said before: Secrecy is the whole point of this mission. The enemy isn't supposed to know that the Chosen know about the gateways, and by extension isn't supposed to expect the party at all. The sentries posted near the gateways have been there for years now, and their main purpose seems to be to prevent someone from accidentally stumbling upon the gateways. It's doubtful that Ilhirel's agents, in any of these locations, even have the party's description - and it doesn't matter, because they'll indiscriminately dispose of anyone who gets too close to one of the gateways. You have many things to worry about, but I don't think being recognized on sight is one of them :]

Anyway, I'll try to get a hold of Jack Elarithon Jack Elarithon via alternative means, as he isn't responding to my messages on several platforms. I'd be curious to get his input, both IC and OOC! *woof*

Busy working on the world map expansion still. Going well. You should have a clear picture of the North soon! *rawrrr*

Jack Elarithon Jack Elarithon just a reminder, your party prepared and equipped well for this mission. You knew where you were going, so remember that Asher, like everyone else, should be wearing winter gear. We'll talk inventory specifics retroactively, depending on what approach I take for redesigning the inventory system. I'm still thinking about it. But, we are assuming you guys are properly geared! *woof*

Oh, and, the North Asgard expansion is OUT now! I edited it into the first post of the World Map thread, right above the West Asgard map for better effect. It's not perfect, and my apologies if the white/snow region makes some things harder to distinguish, but I wanted the same style across both maps and that includes same text labels and other elements (like roads), and sadly I haven't been able to find something that displays equally well on bright and dark backgrounds. That's one of the reasons the forests aren't named; the nice green that works so well for the first map is just absolutely unreadable on the snowy woods.

Certain visual elements like that are subject to change, and I might add more places as we go along, but really, North Asgard is basically mostly empty. There aren't any major settlements I've left out, so any updates I make, will cover points of interest and possibly small villages.

Let me know what you guys think, and how much this fits or clashes with what you expected this region to look like. I'm curious! *woof*

edit: also, to reiterate what I said before; you might want to make sure you are viewing the map at 100% zoom

I think it looks to be just about right (I see that Zelda reference 😉). Though, for clarification, the location of our crew is near the Frostback Mountains, correct? A five second check up proves that to be right.

Z-Zelda reference? I'll be the first to admit that Amaranth is a shameless collection of stuff that's either obviously inspired or blatantly copied from books/movies/videogames, and there are reasons for this, but if I made a Zelda reference, it wasn't intentional XD What is it? :dead:

Aww! Poor Wolf! At least it's Zelda and not something with some kind of horrible reputation! =)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back