• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Futuristic Light in a Lonely Galaxy OOC

Fair enough. However, we have already established the existence of plasma fields in this universe. Heck, we have decorative plasma globes as desktop toys. This energized plasma field would make an effective defense against the incoming plasma spear by dispersing its effect. It would be less effective against the denser plasma of your NEFP but it would still have an effect. And despite what most people think, getting a nuke to go off is actually quite difficult. And the material is bulky and dangerous in itself. Probably none of these are going to be our go to weapons of choice.

Fair enough. However, we have already established the existence of plasma fields in this universe. Heck, we have decorative plasma globes as desktop toys. This energized plasma field would make an effective defense against the incoming plasma spear by dispersing its effect. It would be less effective against the denser plasma of your NEFP but it would still have an effect. And despite what most people think, getting a nuke to go off is actually quite difficult. And the material is bulky and dangerous in itself. Probably none of these are going to be our go to weapons of choice.

Well, I can understand utilizing magnetic fields to divert the Casaba's plasma beam but by the NEFP does not generate a plasma round too. That multi-ton tungsten boulder is rock solid all the way until contact. Even if it was magneticaly active, that thing whiegh's tons, not kilograms; thats a lot of inertia. Any defensive system short of a relativistic round is going to have a hard time diverting one of these things in time.

Space Jesus, Tarma, plasma screens are not that powerfull. They can barely keep a 1 atm gas medium from getting to the other side, they will not stop something moving close to relativistic speeds, even if it's plasma. A magnetic defense system dedicated to handling the nuclear spear would fare better.

Getting a nuke to explode requires some energy, but that is nothing compared to the energy necessities other weapons would need.
Yes, nuclear devices are inherently dangerous and their numbers would be low for the sake of safety, but that helps give a justification to putting organics on a warship. But even with limited numbers, nuclear weapons have many advantages over more futuristic weapons like lasers and railguns. The major one being that they dont require massive power budgets to activate.

They certainly cant be the only weapon in our warship's arsenals, but they should be a major element.

Fishman Lord Fishman Lord kursku kursku

You know, I'm kind of curious on what exactly your characters will be doing once they're grounded. I'd love to write about xenodiplomacy in the story thread, but my character is military, so I doubtfully will get to have an excuse for that.

How exactly do the two of you see xenodiplomacy happening? I always tought it would be very prone to cronical misunderstandings between the parties involved, since theire from entirely different biospheres. Tough since most "aliens" out there are actualy human evolutions, this problem wouldnt root too deep. Still, they'd have to take the conversations very carefully not to start a conflict.

Also, as a general note to the rest of the group, wouldnt it be very handy if we had a Discord channel to make brief conversations? I feel that this is starting to lose connection, and a chat room might help bring the team together.

Fishman Lord Fishman Lord kursku kursku

You know, I'm kind of curious on what exactly your characters will be doing once they're grounded. I'd love to write about xenodiplomacy in the story thread, but my character is military, so I doubtfully will get to have an excuse for that.

How exactly do the two of you see xenodiplomacy happening? I always tought it would be very prone to cronical misunderstandings between the parties involved, since theire from entirely different biospheres. Tough since most "aliens" out there are actualy human evolutions, this problem wouldnt root too deep. Still, they'd have to take the conversations very carefully not to start a conflict.

Also, as a general note to the rest of the group, wouldnt it be very handy if we had a Discord channel to make brief conversations? I feel that this is starting to lose connection, and a chat room might help bring the team together.
Xenodiplomacy will be a complicated process. I'm in sketchy wi fi right now so I can't elaborate much atm as I'm almost out of time, but I'll be back in regular wi-fi by Sunday afternoon. I will set up a discord for this, and we could turn this setting into a larger worldbuilding project.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back