• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Fantasy Light and Darkness: a Tale of Two Protagonists

Pryno

Probably a Malkavian
Hi, everyone! It's the first quest that I write on RPNation, so don't hesitate to give feedback and to debate! Both while being respectful of others, of course.

This story uses the bright and the dark mode. Each one will show the tale of a different character. You can vote to influence the fate of either one or both. Now, choose...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------​
Welcome to the bright side. Please, enjoy your stay. There are so many things to do at the carnival and so little time. A letter arrived at your lodgings with the seal of a trusthworthy employer. But first, you wish to relish the local attractions. The perks of constant travels have to be savored. On your right is standing the talk of the whole town: the tent of Shazi, the renowned fortune-teller. Your purse lighter after her fee and a meal, you sit down and wait for her mana to canalize. She first reveals the card of the past, which represents was left behind on your journey.

1) Death
2) The Lovers
3) Wheel of Fortune

Then, she puts face up the card of the present, which embodies yourself.
4) The Fool
5) The Emperor
6) The Judgement

Welcome to the dark side. Please, make yourself ready. You don't have time to waste. The red moon is shining, your dagger sharp and your hand steady. You are currently defying the gods, the royal family and all that you standed for until that day. But those powers...those tools...they won't go to waste. You won't be powerless ever again. Silence! He is watching.

Choose your power.
A) Shadows
B) Strings
C) Shapeshift

Choose your sacrifice.
D) Your body
E) Your mind
F) Your heart

Hi, everyone! It's the first quest that I write on RPNation, so don't hesitate to give feedback and to debate! Both while being respectful of others, of course.

This story uses the bright and the dark mode. Each one will show the tale of a different character. You can vote to influence the fate of either one or both. Now, choose...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------​
Welcome to the bright side. Please, enjoy your stay. There are so many things to do at the carnival and so little time. A letter arrived at your lodgings with the seal of a trusthworthy employer. But first, you wish to relish the local attractions. The perks of constant travels have to be savored. On your right is standing the talk of the whole town: the tent of Shazi, the renowned fortune-teller. Your purse lighter after her fee and a meal, you sit down and wait for her mana to canalize. She first reveals the card of the past, which represents was left behind on your journey.

1) Death
2) The Lovers
3) Wheel of Fortune

Then, she puts face up the card of the present, which embodies yourself.
4) The Fool
5) The Emperor
6) The Judgement

Welcome to the dark side. Please, make yourself ready. You don't have time to waste. The red moon is shining, your dagger sharp and your hand steady. You are currently defying the gods, the royal family and all that you standed for until that day. But those powers...those tools...they won't go to waste. You won't be powerless ever again. Silence! He is watching.

Choose your power.
A) Shadows
B) Strings
C) Shapeshift

Choose your sacrifice.
D) Your body
E) Your mind
F) Your heart

I'm taking the shadows and I'm sacrificing my heart.

I think I'll vote for both paths.

Light: 2) The Lovers and 6) The Judgement.
Dark: A) Shadows and F) Your Heart for me as well.

You know that I love you guys?

1548889029306.gif

I will post this evening (it’s 6 PM) at best, tomorrow morning at worse. The plan is in motion...

You know that I love you guys?

View attachment 534115

I will post this evening (it’s 6 PM) at best, tomorrow morning at worse. The plan is in motion...
Pryno just a reminder I can act as a consultant on this to make sure the story’s good and other details if you would like. I think you asked me for some help. Also thank you! Love you too buddy!

Omen and I discussed and after consideration, I will organize the choices. At the moment, it’s a mess, so it may take some time. The story will be back soon!

Look at the bright side, a path tinged with Death and an imperial aura; the Emperor's road.

Now look at the dark side, a silent world made of Strings, with nary a sound - not even a beating Heart.

I dunno 'bout others but a fine control of the Shadows should be able to achieve some form of shapeshifting. Covering the body with illusory shadows bending the lights, forcing the body to change with the shape of the shadow at the sacrifice of a physical one, or even possessing a body - be it natural or synthesized.

I was writing this at the moment of the last vote. The scheme is raveled and ready to roll! It comes this afternoon, folks! Emperor and Lovers, Shadows and Heart!

And actually, the shadows can conceal, but not allow shapeshift. The result of a manipulation of light of the sort would be hazardous at best, given that a change in the environmental light can easily disturb the illusion. The voice, the height and the manerism would also stay untouched, which is troublesome.

At the sight of the third card, you can’t help but silently giggle. Of course. Five years of training, leadership and sacrifices were enough to stain your raven head of white highlights. Your muscles are sharply carved, but your determination is running out. Resources are running scarce and no matter how much you push yourself, you are always one step behind. The pleasure of the carnival’s distractions is fading. In one quick step, you turn without hearing the fortune teller’s advice.

With the momentum, the Hanged Man slips in the dirt. How much more can you take?

As you arrive in your headquarters, all stand up. Your advisors are gathered around a table, papers and weapons scattered. At the center is a map of the nearest town. Your right-hand man gives you a glance, but remains silent. You join the gathering, looking at him as little as politely possible.

- Report.

Three others are facing you. Kanik, a scarface, grim templar; Aberto, compelling gentleman from the court, a favorite of the queen; and a...actually, you never saw the face of this one. But they proved crafty and loyal. A spy of some sort going by the name of Whisper. The noble speaks up.

- Inquisitor, the troops and ourselves discovered opportunities to take down the diocese of Willow. It is said to be an archive for the cult of the Bestower. We may find valuable informations inside that may end this crusade once and for all. That is why we must be thorough and search the city with a fine-toothed comb. Interrogate each and every civilian.

- Nonsense, says the veteran templar. We are at numerical disadvantage. Surprise must be preserved. We made a prisoner, a local bourgeois. He regularly sends provisions to the diocese. We should at least give it a try.

- An interrogation? With you? What if he doesn’t talk? Your methods are known...

- A search might doom us all. The cult has more influence than us here. One villager talks, and we are screwed.

- Enough. May the Sheperd’s blessing be on you.

After everyone repeats his last sentence, only the voice’s owner and you remain. Clay, your right-hand man. You still avoid his gaze as he stares at you.

- Natela, how are you holding up?

- Fine enough. Is there a third option?

You can’t help but look at him. He stares in disbelief, but keeps going.

- You may assist with the interrogation, if you choose that one must be done. Aberto is right on one thing: Kanik needs to be kept in check. There is also another third option, but I don’t think you should follow this path.

- I’m listening.

- Whisper has a contact that may help you to infiltrate the cult. Once you are in, any contact with us would be too risky. And you know how they are about sacrifices.
But choose as you wish. You always did.

1. Search the city and establish patrols
2. Interrogate the cultist
3. Infiltrate the diocese

As the iron meets your flesh, your hand is once again firm and steady. Under the moonlight, your mind is as sharp as the blade. Not a single thrill dims your judgement. With cold detachment, you wonder if it is a good thing. Not that you would miss feelings; but now that you don’t miss anything, are you still human?

You take a moment to acknowledge and test your new abilities. Concealment. Illusions. Perfect vision in the dark. Enhanced speed, durability, strength and agility in the shadows. Probabilities are high that your newfound powers are at optimal efficiency at night. Splendid.

You have to join them. Your blood relatives. It was the original plan and the most logical thing to do. Will they notice? Not if your acting skills didn’t got rusty yet. Fake it until you make it, right? Would it work? Was is broken beyond repair or just twisted beyond recognition? There was no turning back now, anyhow.

Powered by adrenaline (no, that was not it. Resolve? Maybe resolve), you make it back to the city on foot and climb to the roof. There are no stars on red moons, but you can perfectly see the show from up here. All the town gathered around, children and adults alike. Here is the main cast: your cousin, the executioner and the axe.

Do you wish to enjoy the play, Adrienne? Or to be a showstopper?
A) Enjoy the show
B) Stop the show
C) Write-in

Here it is! I am not slow, just...slow. Also, there is an important mechanic that you should know about. The Death Count. Some risky choices (like B for darkness) will put the characters at risks of dying. Some risks are low; some are high. Rewards may follow if you choose risky options, but the more you die, the more things will go afoot. And if a character dies too many times, then nothing bad will happen. I swear. Don’t worry about it. Everything shall be well.

1] Showered in light, as one who follows the royal road, you shall do things grandly and openly. Order your men scour for information. So what if your enemies are to know of your actions? You are a just inquisitor blessed by the bright light, blind them with your forces - while you're at it, receive gifts in the form of supplies from the villagers and ignite the morale of your men with an inspiring speech tailored for Knights of Justice.

I'd also say help with the interrogation [2] while mustering your men [1] but if its one way or the other I'd go with the troops as the interrogator's skills seem fishy, though as an inquisitor choosing someone like that to be an interrogator also puts to question Nutella's (can't help it) skills.

[3] Edited by Pryno for forum rules and delicate content.

Eh, all that nonesense and it basically went to [2] stopping the show. Don't really know about the plan but I doubt following his blood related cousin to the afterlife is a good choice.

Last edited by a moderator:
1] Showered in light, as one who follows the royal road, you shall do things grandly and openly. Order your men scour for information. So what if your enemies are to know of your actions? You are a just inquisitor blessed by the bright light, blind them with your forces - while you're at it, receive gifts in the form of supplies from the villagers and ignite the morale of your men with an inspiring speech tailored for Knights of Justice.

I'd also say help with the interrogation [2] while mustering your men [1] but if its one way or the other I'd go with the troops as the interrogator's skills seem fishy, though as an inquisitor choosing someone like that to be an interrogator also puts to question Nutella's (can't help it) skills.

[3] Edited by Pryno.

Eh, all that nonesense and it basically went to [2] stopping the show. Don't really know about the plan but I doubt following his blood related cousin to the afterlife is a good choice.

I did expect some use of power to reduce the chances of dying in a way that makes more sense than just jumping on the executionner and hope it works. But geez, that is edgy. What about we keep it a little more family-friendly? For younger players and forum rules. There won’t be kid killing here, sorry.

Edit: I forgot that the creator of a topic could edit posts. Here we go.

Edit again: Also, just to make things clear, this is not the historical inquisition, but a similar organization in a fictionnal world. I specified that it was not influent here, so you might want to think about it. Also, it doesn’t has a body count for now. It is possible to not kill anyone, although difficult and risky.

Edit for a third time: That’s ok, just wanted to draw the line here. I have read and written stuff as dark in bad times. Just don’t let it happen again on the forum, ok?

Last edited:
Haha sorry, was delving in a darker theme of sorts out there. You're right though, must have gone mad or borderline insane for a moment.

Well look at the bright side of things! I still think [1] mustering troops is the way to go as a troop on their last leg would either give out or burn their brightest at the most desperate of moments; and what is more desperate for them than their low morale, dimming hope, scarce supplies and being in the midst of hidden enemies watching every movement under the light.

Not really a fan of skulking about when we already have Adrienne to dance with the shadows for us.

For a compromise though [2] interrogating could work if Natela's up to par when his man isn't... having a favorite of the Queen by his side one would think they would get more support, either by supplies, information or better men. Must be an impoverished country out there or politics at work aiming for the poor lass.

---

Delving back on the darker theme, [2] stopping the show under the watch of the bloody moon is the way to go.

Don't really think a heartless man would enjoy anything, much less a show.

I think I'll vote option 2 for the light side.
If we don't have much influence and are outnumbered, it's probably best not to draw attention to ourselves too much. Also, I think we shouldn't rush into infiltrating cults head-first. That Kalik will probably interrogate the prisoner no matter what we do, so we may as well try to minimize the damage and maybe learn something useful ourselves.

For the dark side, I'm picking option 2 as well.
Joining up with blood relatives should be easier if the first of them that we found isn't dead, I think.

Hey guys! I know, there is no update yet, but there are reasons. Just want to put them on the table so there is no misunderstanding. Skip to the part in bold if you are in a rush.

1. Things are pretty busy here. I have summer classes. Didn’t failed any class, we just have this so we can do traineeship. Pretty nice, but pretty tiring. Also other life stuff.

2. I actually engaged myself in being a DM for D&D 5e. Let’s simply say that I already had an idea of campaign for some time and that the circumstances were such that I could not morally refuse. I’ll leave it at that, but I’m always opened to talk about my campaign if you don’t mind me rambling on many, many paragraphs.

My mind is everywhere at the moment and if I just added L&D at the moment, you would be given the product of a tired Pryno’s mind. And believe me, weird shit is happening in there when I’m sleepy. There is no unseeing it. Better to keep it fresh and inspired.

So when does the story continues? Soon, but not now. This story is still bubbling in my brain and I have absolutely no intention to abandon it. It’s my baby. Must protect.

So stay tuned, folks! Something wicked this way comes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back