• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Life on the Rim

JakeParade

Just a Guy
LTm3ofF.png

Preface

Hey there. If you've stumbled upon this little nook, then you must be a fan of Rimworld, right? If not, that's okay too. All you need to know about Rimworld is that you need to survive on an uncharted, hostile planet on the edge of known space. I'm new to this kind of stuff so go easy on me, alrighty? By the way, at the beginning of this little roleplay, only the first five people that make their characters are eligible to start off the game. Don't worry, though! If you still want to make a character, you'll have plenty of chances to join the colony later.

Character Creation
You can come from all kinds of places, as long as it makes sense. Wanna be from a Neolithic tribe on the planet? Crash-landed here from a space vessel passing by? Are you a pampered and spoiled rich-kid from a cutting-edge high-tech world? Or perhaps a vat-grown soldier? You decide.

In Rimworld, you have a storyteller that acts as the driving force and keeps the flow going. That's gonna be me. You guys? You're going to be my...pawns, I suppose. If you want to play Rimworld today, I'm going to need a couple things from ya'. Use this template.

Name:
Childhood Backstory:
Adult Backstory: (Only applicable if character is eighteen or older.)
Traits: [READ BELOW!!!]

[PUT SKILLS IN A SPOILER UNDER THIS! THIS COMES LATER.]

Okay, now that you've written that stuff down, don't post quite just yet! Save it to a separate document somewhere. I'm going to need some dice rolls from ya'. In Rimworld, your backstory isn't the only thing that defines who you are. You have traits, y'see. Traits that you have from birth. Some of them might be good, some of them might be bad. Who knows? Please post your dice rolls in and I'll tell you the traits.

You can decide if you want two traits, or three. Each one will require a d100 roll. Didn't like what you got? Don't sweat it. Just yell at me and I'll ask you to re-roll it. You get two re-rolls for each trait you take. Careful though, because if you use your last re-roll for that trait and get something you don't like you're stuck with it. The Rim is an unforgiving place.

Skills
In Rimworld, there are 12 skills. These are listed below.

Animals - determines how easy it is to tame and handle animals
Artistic - determines how easy it is to make artsy things like sculptures and paintings
Construction - determines how easy it is to build things like walls, doors and floors
Cooking - determines how easy it is to cook a good meal without wasting food, also affects butchering
Crafting - determines how easy it is to craft things with materials, also affects scavenging for materials
Growing - determines how easy it is to identify edible plants, as well as planting them
Medicine - determines how easy it is to apply first aid to others, as well as preforming surgery
Melee - determines how good you are in a scrap, also determines dodging in melee
Mining - determines how easy it is to extract valuable ore from rock without wasting any
Intellectual - determines research speed, also gives you leeway to act like a smarty-pants
Shooting - determines how easy it is to hit things with ranged weapons. this is how you go hunting.
Social - determines your haggling skill with traders, also gives you the ability to talk raiders down if you're good enough.
FUN-FACT: Depending on what your backstory(ies) is(are), you may get penalties to skills, bonuses to skills, or you may not even be able to perform some skills at all. If you want to post your backstory(ies) before adding your points to your skills, this is fine.

FUN-FACT NUMERO DOS: Some traits can effect your skills!

These skills are fundamental in how your character operates. You have a point pool of 45 points. Each skill starts at 0, and can be maxed to 20. When I call upon you to make skill checks, you will roll a d20. If you're shooting at somebody, and your shooting skill is 10. You must roll a 10 or lower to hit them. Very simple, no? Depending on how good (or bad) the roll is will change the outcome. Also, sometimes there might be secret difficulties I put in place depending on how hard the task is, like planting certain plants or shooting from a certain distance with an inadequate weapon.

Here's another thing for you. You have five passion points. What are these, you may ask? Very simple, my dear friend. There are two levels of passion. Interested, and burning. Depending on what your passion is in a skill, you will get better at it faster. Giving a skill a burning passion costs 3 points, while giving a skill interested only costs 1. Specify next to your skills if they're burning or interested. The point of this system is to place them on your not-so-good skills so when you have to use them, you're able to learn them faster so you stop being not-so-good at them.

After all this is said and done, post those characters! You're allowed to put a picture of your character if you'd like, or describe their appearance via text. Please, no extravagant clothing. And, you also don't get to bring guns along for the ride. I decide all your starting equipment! Hee hee.

That's all she wrote for right now. Let's get those characters created, and then we can move on to world generation, and talk about the meatier systems!

Last edited:
Shizaru 'Gratis' Aphrodite
Chronological Age: 24.
Biological Age: 20.​

Childhood Backstory: Vat-grown Glitterworld Altruist, Shizaru was carefully sculpted upon her artificial birth in isolation by her wealthy adoptive parents to be a paragon of their mutual vision of idealized humanity. Kidnapped shortly after a second's unsupervised discovery of the unlocked front door.

Adult Backstory: Urbworld Sex Slave, While her innocence was ruthlessly exploited by her captors, it was quickly discovered to not be damageable. A fact that her hundreds of customers on numerous worlds relished. Freed and on her way back to her family before crash landing after a horrific foreplay accident involving a modified ship engine, a diamond studded whip, and the entirety of the male population of a seedy space station.

Traits: Wimp, Ascetic.

Last edited:
Name: Droushnakovi
Childhood Backstory: Grew up the daughter of ethnic Romanian Gypsies. Participated in gymnastics and some martial arts.
Adult Backstory: Ended up becoming a stunt-woman. She specializes in stunt-piloting and sky diving, but also has experience with cars and motorbikes. Is an expert hang glider.
Skills:
Animals - 2
Artistic - 0
Construction - 5
Cooking - 2
Crafting - 5
Growing - 6+2
Medicine - -1
Melee - 13+2
Mining -
Intellectual - 4
Shooting - 8
Social +1

Traits: Iron-Will, Kind, Too Smart and Green Thumb

Last edited:
Name: 'Shizaru'
Childhood Backstory: Vat-grown Glitterworld Altruist, Shizaru was carefully sculpted upon her artificial birth in isolation by her wealthy adoptive parents to be a paragon of their mutual vision of idealized humanity. Kidnapped shortly after a second's unsupervised discovery of the unlocked front door.
Adult Backstory: Urbworld Sex Slave, While her innocence was ruthlessly exploited by her captors, it was quickly discovered to not be damageable. A fact that her hundreds of customers on numerous worlds relished. Freed and on her way back to her family before crash landing after a horrific foreplay accident involving a modified ship engine, a diamond studded whip, and the entirety of the male population of a seedy space station.
Traits: 8, 72, 57.

Excellent! Your traits are as follows: Abrasive, Slothful, and Wimp. If you don't like those, just give me a holler and some new rolls.

Due to your childhood backstory, you get the following: Social +2 and you gain the trait "Ascetic."
Due to your adult backstory, you also get the following: Social +6, Cooking +2, and Artistic -2. You also HATE having to research or go out hunting.

Excellent! Your traits are as follows: Abrasive, Slothful, and Wimp. If you don't like those, just give me a holler and some new rolls.

Due to your childhood backstory, you get the following: Social +2 and you gain the trait "Ascetic."
Due to your adult backstory, you also get the following: Social +6, Cooking +2, and Artistic -2. You also HATE having to research or go out hunting.
I'll like to reroll abrasive and slothful. I got 99 and 44.

I'll like to reroll abrasive and slothful. I got 99 and 44.
Very good! I apologize for that wait. Your new traits are: Trigger-Happy and Jealous...Which is a problem, because Jealous is not compatible with Ascetic. Congrats, you get a free re-roll! Yeehaw! If you'd also like to re-roll trigger-happy again, that's not a problem either. You have four re-rolls left.

So you just want 3 dice rolls right now? Ok
Result
91 (Avg: 91.0)

5 (Avg: 5.0)

15 (Avg: 15.0)

(Total avg: 37.0)

In case I got that wrong, or w/e:
Name: Droushnakovi
Childhood Backstory: Grew up the daughter of ethnic Romanian Gypsies. Participated in gymnastics and some martial arts.
Adult Backstory: Ended up becoming a stunt-woman. She specializes in stunt-piloting and sky diving, but also has experience with cars and motorbikes. Is an expert hang glider.

Alrighty, your traits are as follows!

Volatile, Kind, and Too Smart.

If you want to reroll any of them, just ask.

Due to your childhood backstory, you get the following: +2 Melee +2 Growing +1 Social -1 Medicine
Due to your adult backstory, you gain the following trait: Iron Will! This cancels out your trait "Volatile" which means you get a free re-roll! YEEHAW!

Alrighty, your traits are as follows!

Volatile, Kind, and Too Smart.

If you want to reroll any of them, just ask.

Due to your childhood backstory, you get the following: +2 Melee +2 Growing +1 Social -1 Medicine
Due to your adult backstory, you gain the following trait: Iron Will! This cancels out your trait "Volatile" which means you get a free re-roll! YEEHAW!

Is there a place that explains these traits? I mean they are pretty self explanatory I guess. Also, I think I used the in-forum dice roller right.. .. yep

Is there a place that explains these traits? I mean they are pretty self explanatory I guess. Also, I think I used the in-forum dice roller right.. .. yep
Your new trait is Greedy. If you want to reroll it, you still have 6 rerolls left.

And yes, there is a place that explains these traits, but they're explained in the mechanics of the actual Rimworld game. You can gleam what they're meant to be, though.
Traits - RimWorld Wiki

Very good! I apologize for that wait. Your new traits are: Trigger-Happy and Jealous...Which is a problem, because Jealous is not compatible with Ascetic. Congrats, you get a free re-roll! Yeehaw! If you'd also like to re-roll trigger-happy again, that's not a problem either. You have four re-rolls left.
40 and 16.

Name: Larroy Gonzal
Childhood Backstory: He was born into a family of space criminals.
Adult Backstory: Soon after he reached maturity, he left home to become a criminal. After robbing a space gas station, he finally became a wanted criminal. He learned the benefits of stealing ships from gas stations; the tanks are usually full. He opened the glove comepartment to find a saucy magazine inside, the cover of which made him realize he had to read it right away, even if he was piloting a spaceship. He crash landed on the uncharted planet after his ship got hit by an asteroid.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back