• If your recruitment thread involves completely going off site with your partner(s) then it belongs in the Off-Site Ad Area.
  • This area of the site is governed by the official Recruitment rules. Whether you are looking for players or looking for a roleplay, we recommend you read them and familiarize your self with them. Read the Recruitment Rules Here.

Life in the Year 20XX

The year is 2041, and Super Smash Bros. Melee and sequels build in an identical physics engine have taken the world by storm. Now the national sport of several countries, including the United States, Japan, and Sweden, along with being the most watched Olympic sport during the 2040 games in Valencia. Most major universities now have a 'College of Melee,' where students study the game at all levels: Theory, balance, programming, and, or course, gameplay. Many young people enter these colleges and universities in hopes of making it onto the Melee Pro League, a tournament circuit owned and operated by an American-Japanese joint venture with the same name.

Many household names, MaNg0, PPMD, and Mew2King, to name a few, have since moved on from competing. MaNg0 hosts the nationally acclaimed talk show "Saturday Night Melee," where he brings on guests to play, talk, and get up to general shenanigans with, with rare moments of serious discussion. PPMD and Mew2King are professors at Harvard and Yale, respectively, teaching classes to graduate students. Axe became involved in politics, winning the most landslide victory for the Governor of Arizona race in history in 2036, with a slightly tongue in cheek campaign of "Bread and Melee."

In the wake of the '20XX' meme, I thought about what life might look like if we actually lived in it. Of course, as time has gone on, 20XX has proven to not be 'No Items, Fox only, Final Destination,' but more of "Play whatever character suits you best." People have made supposed mid-tier characters work for them at the highest level of tournament play in 2018/2019 Melee, characters like Pikachu and Yoshi both have representatives in the top 10 worldwide, with only a single solo-Fox main.

What i'm envisioning is: A "Melee Two" coming out sometime in 2024, and a "Melee Three" a while later. Five, maybe up to eight years later? A character roster expanded from Ultimate, with maybe 10-20 more characters from games that are popular now to potential original characters for games that will theoretically be released in the future from our current time. A tier list would need to be drawn up based on how common each character would be, which would affect the frequency of our character's maining them in the actual roleplay.

The idea is currently very bare-bones, but it's something that I think could be fleshed out to an insane degree if enough people are interested in doing so.

Once everything is fully fleshed out, the actual RP would take place either here or on discord. In-game, I would imagine our characters to be attending an Ivy-League school majoring in Melee.

If you have any questions, either post here or PM me, i'd love to hear people's ideas on this!

You might have messed up the category. Its not nation building.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back