• If your recruitment thread involves completely going off site with your partner(s) then it belongs in the Off-Site Ad Area.
  • This area of the site is governed by the official Recruitment rules. Whether you are looking for players or looking for a roleplay, we recommend you read them and familiarize your self with them. Read the Recruitment Rules Here.

Let's Save the World From Kaiju!

Paranoidude

Skeleton With Standards
I was thinking about creating a classic Mecha V Kaiju Nation Building RP/game. As one might expect, humanity has banded together to create an elite strike force against the invasion of coming giant monsters. The war is young, hopes are high, and legends are about to be forged. Three countries were able to finish crafting gods of metal, idols of human achievement against the first Kaiju scouts. Now the Kaiju know we won't keel over. Expect stronger resistance as we go on. This war won't be won through attrition. We'll have to get stronger as we go on.

The countries with active Mecha programs are the United States & Canada's Ares Program, China's Cangjie (仓颉) program, and the European Union's AH (Adeptus Hasta - Doom's Spear) Program. These three prestigious programs, as well as any up-and-coming programs, were merged into an entity referred to as UNITI - United Nations Integrated Technology Initiative. In essence, it's a badge to wave for deployment jurisdiction, a banner to funnel funding into, and a gathering place for the world's best scientists and engineers to gather. In the recent years, UNITI has been getting countries to adopt housing stations and bases for the current (and future) mecha projects. Rumors have it that Egypt and Japan have also made significant progress on creation of their own mech systems, but nothing solid has been proven.

I don't know how many people all in all I might want in the RP, too many cooks and such, but right now this is what I'm proposing. It's worth mentioning (and reminding anyone who's ever watched a Mecha Anime) that there are no small roles, only small actors.

Pilots:

The burden of gathering pilot candidates has been a tough one. The current method of controlling the active mecha of today relies upon a nerve-synth connection between the pilot, gunner, and mech. When both are in harmony with each other, they create an ultimate union with one another allowing for the simultaneous navigation of the mech as well as utilizing combat systems. The combination of pilot-gunner interface originated from China's Cangjie technology and was then utilized by the US and EU governments in their attempts to create a vanguard against the coming storm. Finding capable pilots who share mental and emotional loads in a positive way has proven to be quite the... set back. There is no science towards finding pilots capable of linking and successfully piloting mecha. To make matters worse, each mech has it's own OS and Neureosynth, so pilots capable of operating one mech would not be capable of piloting others. It should not even need to be said that pilots are worth their weight in gold. Pilots come from every walk of life, from beggars on the street to those living the high-life. The three governments' screening processes were thorough, even to the extent of being brutally efficient- candidates who showed promise were immediately ripped from their families to undergo further testing with other candidates with little to no say in the matter. Those candidates that didn't make the cut were often left on the side of the road with no compensation for their time, efforts, or medical coverage for any trauma brought on by the testing process. Those six special humans that showed the highest amount of promise - able to pilot the mecha as though they were extensions of their own bodies. Now that the pilots have been found, they will begin undergoing harsh military conditioning, extensive medical screenings (and tissue collection for experiments), and test scenarios with their mecha while UNITI lies in wait for the next Kaiju to strike. It has been a little over a year since their initial assault, their expeditionary legions should pour in at any moment.
Now, UNITI didn't get to be the awesome and powerful organization it is without strong leadership. While the pilots get to have fun in the sun, the UNITI staff are always making sure that their power remains absolute in the coming times of crisis, and this will manifest itself in many different ways.

UNITI Staff:

The Commander is the most superior officer of all of UNITI. His decisions are like broadstrokes, generally determining what must be done, but not how to get there. Mostly though, his roles is to provide as the tactical officer of UNITI and to provide whatever tactical instructions that he can to the pilots should they need them.

Ah, what is any outfit without a chief of staff? The CS is superior to all other officers save the Commander himself. His duties are to, essentially, lead the ground forces of UNITI, provide pilots with adequate training and supplies. In this, it is up to the CoS to assign the budget of UNITI between Mecha maintenance, operating costs, research funds, and the costs for whatever the engineers dream up.

The Chief of Combat Support might be the most under-thanked position in all of UNITI. The CoC has the job of stalling Kaiju with volley after volley of artillery, tank shells, minigun rounds, and whatever else the UN can scrape together. However, what most people don't see about this position is that they are directly involved with the evacuation of civilians, kiting the Kaiju (if they are clever enough, of course) and prioritizing the locations of engagements with Kaiju threats.

The Chief Engineer's job is pretty straight forward. The CE's job is to prioritize avenues of development for weapons, hulls, forcef- well... Let's not spoil anything just yet. But don't think the Engineer's job doesn't extend to combat either! Their input on the read-outs of the Mecha will be crucial! For instance, if a Kaiju tears off part of a rocket-pod, you'll want to know if activating it will blow the Mecha to smithereens or launch nominally!

The Chief Researcher is fairly similar to the CE's job... but with science! Before the Engineers can get their grubby little wrenches on those Mecha to start swapping out parts, it's important for scientists to determine if things like multi-rocket-pod-ejecting shoulder mounted launchers are even possible. Unlike the Engineer though, they don't only monitor the read-outs of the Mecha, but that of the Kaiju as well, looking for responses to weaponry, any chinks in it's armor, energy build-up, etc.
Proposed Roster:

--Team Ares--

Pilot

Gunner

--Team Cangjie--

Pilot

Gunner

--Team AH--

Pilot

Gunner

--UNITI Staff--

Commander

Chief of Staff

Chief of Combat Support

Chief Engineer

Chief Researcher

Please reply below if you are interested in any of the roles, have any questions, both, or have any suggestions!

Sounds interesting. What system are you using for this?

Sherwood said:
Sounds interesting. What system are you using for this?
I was thinking of using something of a modified, simplified Savage Worlds RPG die-rolling system, for combat at least. With everything else, there will be lots of PMs involved. Everything from "You have been allotted 10000 USD. The Mecha suffered 3400 USD worth of damage in the previous battle. 600 USD has been deducted to complete maintenance on the Mecha. How do you wish to spend the remaining 6000 among Development?" to "Do you wish to prioritize the public officials in the city, or the refugees?"

I also intend on developing a fully fleshed out tech-tree for Engineering and Research.

Think of this as an RP but also a marriage of Mecha Anime and XCOM. So, pretty much my three favorite things. I know that doesn't answer your question too much, but suffice it to say "...It's a work in progress."

Last edited by a moderator:
Mmmm. I'm not familiar with that system, so it would be a bit of a struggle for me to make something up. Ah, well.

Sherwood said:
Mmmm. I'm not familiar with that system, so it would be a bit of a struggle for me to make something up. Ah, well.
Alack alas. I hope you keep an eye on this thread at the very least! I really want this thing to happen, and I think if I put enough elbow grease into it, I could have something here.

Ah! Thanks for all of the interest! I didn't expect to get so many replies over night! I'm still working on the system (thankfully, one of the boons of making a co-op game is that I can make the combat as inherently unbalanced as I want and only have to politely shrug and say "It's tactic-hell!"). So far, I'm lifting the very, very, very basics from Savage Worlds (the RPG system).Basically, with all dice rolling, a 4 is a success. I'll elaborate when I finish my classes for the day. In the meantime, I'm prettttty sure that I found art for the delightful mechs we will be featuring, as well as how their dichotomy will work.

Cangjie

Adeptus Hasta

Ares

See what you did right there was make me want to pilot adeptus or ares. Or maybe I should go for a behind the scenes job, ah the choices!

Haha, glad to hear it. I'm glad I found three similarly designed mecha with varying levels of armament. As I'm sure you might have noticed, the mechs are organized in their sequence of development starting with China's light Cangjie, designed to glide around the battlefield and deliver surgical blows, then fleeing back. Essentially a skirmisher. The Adeptus was finished right after the Cangjie sporting a heavier frame and heavy armor as well. The Adeptus is designed to fit in as more of a grappler role, closing the distance and tying up combatants while support does it's thing. Speaking of support, the newest, shiniest, and heaviest mech - the Ares- is designed to provide heavy support from afar. It's two powerful shoulder mounted cannons are fitted to fire powerful shells capable of tearing battle-cruisers in half. While the cannons may take a while to reload and move into position (as the Ares' weight does hinder it's movement capabilities) the Ares is also capable of defending itself quite well with equally lumbering, yet powerful, fists.

COMBAT!

Who doesn't love a good fist-fight? Here I'll ramble about combat systems and probably edit the hell out of this post as I realize what does and does not work. It's worth noting that the purpose of this combat system is to be harsh, fast, and simple. I don't want us to have to spend weeks fighting the same exact same Kaiju. Fights should last a week or so at most, maybe two if it happens to be a holiday weekend or something. Okay, enough preamble. Let's get ambling.

Turn Order.

At the beginning of a combat encounter, all parties will roll a D14. I am aware that's not a thing, but it's supposed to simulate the cards of a deck of playing cards with the suites removed. Obviously, the higher the result, the higher on the turn order you go. However, if you happen to draw a D14, you will be asked to roll another die. Those that roll a D14 during an encounter will be asked to roll a d6. This is to simulate drawing a Joker. As there are only two jokers within a deck of playing cards, only 5 or 6 will succeed in drawing the jokers. The Joker confers an additional benefit other than always going first. The Joker also bestows a +2 bonus to any defense or attack rolls! You want the Joker. The Joker is love.

The support team will always go last, assuming they are available, during an encounter.

Mothertrucking. Brotherloving. Mecha.

Now, wait. I thought you said that Mecha are piloted by two characters, a pilot and a gunner. Are you trying to say that one character is responsible for movement only, while the other is responsible for attacking? What if my partner is a dick and moves the ranged mech in melee range?!

No! Well, yes, but no! See, Mecha are piloted by two characters who share a mental link allowing for two people to communicate with the mech subconsciously. While in the fluff one character is responsible for one movement and the other is responsible for attacking, they are also doing so in harmony. Suffice this to say that while you both have your own roles, you must agree on what you're doing. You will both decide upon the course of action you wish to take, and then you will tell me when it is your turn. Because of this, Mecha only have ONE initiative roll. Don't worry about making your attack descriptions too flavorful unless you want to. Describing a clever maneuver or accidentally (or purposefully) hitting a Kaiju's weakspot will yield bonuses to your attack die that I will add AFTER the action is described and rolled for.

Kaiju. (And assorted baddies)

I will be playing the Kaiju (and assorted baddies) myself, do not worry. As such, I can award them no such bonuses to their attacks, as cosidering their attacks to be clever or aiming them deliberately at your weakspots would be dickish (expect this to happen in later fights though). However, maneuvers and attacks from baddies CAN earn you a negative modifier to defend against the attacks. Be cautious, friends.

This is Ground Control to Major Tom (Support Team)

Seriously, what great Kaiju fighting romp doesn't have a strong support team in it? All the best have a cast of characters just as strong as the pilots serving as support. Don't think that just because you're in the support team that you can't help out in a fight either! The turn order for the Support Team will follow the chain of command as seen in the Roster. Due to their very situational and case sensitive rolls, the Commander, CoS, and CoC will not have set rules for how they can engage in combat. Usually they will be PM'd with a question as to how they will handle a certain situation, and this will directly or indirectly affect the fight (and many other things after the fight). Typically, though, the CE and CR can attempt to analyze the battlefield, Kaiju, and Mecha for any relevant information. The CE and CR must directly state what they are looking at/for. I.E "Misato notices that the Mecha's hits should be connecting, and yet the Kaiju is taking no apparent damage. She'll analyze the Mecha to see if they are operating correctly." "After inspecting the Mecha readouts, you realize that their hits not only should be connecting, but their sensors aren't registering any resistance! It's reasonable to assume that they are attacking an illusion!" It is, of course, very possible that any of the support team may simply pass their turn if they wish to do nothing, but I will be finding incentives for them to do things.

Anyway, that's all I have for now on how that works. I'll be going more in depth into how hitting and defending works when I get home from my second class in a few hours. Thanks for reading my rambling! I hope you all are still interested!

In the meantime, enjoy probably one of the best AMVs I've ever seen. It will certainly pertain to the theme and feel of the RP that I am trying to create. [media]

[/media]

Lemme at 'Em! (Hitting Stuff)

As a Pilot/Gunner, this section is your bread and butter. And milk. And Orange juice. Now, initiating an attack is pretty simple. Move your Mech within range and say "I attack them" in as simple or as convoluted a way as you desire, and then roll a D6, If you get a 4, you score an average hit! If you get an 8 (with the help of bonuses and such) you score a critical hit which will grant context sensitive bonuses against the enemy it's scored against (anything from overloading a forcefield generator to tearing off a limb). All critical hits will grant a -2 modifier to the defense roll of the target. It's worth noting that a D6 can not naturally achieve a critical hit. Just something that Pilots might want to remind the CR about when they're getting their butts handed to them in combat. Y'know, assuming that the CR could even help with that. Maybe.

It's Just a Flesh Wound! (Defending)

So, the big, nasty Kaiju connected with you, huh? Don't worry, Pilots! If hitting stuff is your bread and butter, this is your meat and potatoes! See, just because something hits you, that doesn't mean that you actually have to take a wound! That's where defense comes in! Whenever anyone hits you, you can roll a D6, apply appropriate modifiers against it, and if you get a four or higher, you just received a glancing blow! Now, don't get too cocky, tough guy. Just because you were able to block a single blow. Each time you SUCCESSFULLY block a blow, your next block roll will recieve a -1 defense modifier. This stacks until you get hit. I.E. I block one blow, get a -1 on my next block roll. I block again, and miraculously get another block. My next block, I have a -2 penalty. This time, I rolled a 6 and was left with a miracle block. The next time I try to block, I will be hit by default, as I now have a -3 modifier. Next turn, I get hit, and my block roll is reset back to -0. The turn after that, I successfully block again and end up with a -1 to my next block roll.

I Feel Fantastic! (Getting Hit)

Oh, geez,,, you weren't able to defend, eh? Well, chin up, fella. It's not the end of the world. I mean, it is, but it's not... look, forget it. I said forget it! We're talking about wounds now. When you take a hit and unsuccessfully defend against it, you receive a wound. Wounds represent a Mech's systems failing, blood loss, etc. Because of this, incurring a wound gives a -1 penalty to all rolls until the wound is healed/repaired. Additionally, three wounds are the maximum amount of damage one can sustain before being incapacitated, unable to defend themselves or pose a threat. Not that receiving three wounds does not mean death. However, trashing a Mech will cost UNITI a fortune to repair, not to mention the horrible hit to morale around the world, so please do avoid it.

Miscellaneous Stuff!

-Using a Ranged Weapon requires one to be within the range listed on the Mecha page

-Each round (everyone's turn has passed) lasts about a minute

-Individual wounds will cost money to repair, but an incapictated mech will cost a far larger amount of money

-Engineering and Research team input are likely to give bonuses to attack and defense, but may also lead to penalties?

-Certain research and engineering options will allow you to increase various stats. That's all I'll say on the matter

-Movement is a free action, but if you're in melee range of a baddie and try to move out of melee range, you will receive an "attack of opportunity" before your movement begins. The baddie will attack you at a -1 penalty to hit

In the down time between each mission, characters will Roleplay with each other around the central base and outside of it as well. As this is very much an RP, it is very much encouraged that characters forge friendships, rivalries, maybe even romances with one another. Have fun, enjoy yourself, and for god's sake, please fade to black if you do consummate a romantic relationship.

Any input, comments, concerns you'd like to express, please direct them to the reply box below. Thanks again for reading the ramblings of a pseudo sane person!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back