Other Let's chat, your experiences in RP and regrowing your RP friends.

Vamz

Roleplayer with OC's looking for others!
This is mostly for fun and reminiscing! I also am trying to rid myself of the great spam-blocker so I'm just finding vague things to post about and well this popped into my mind!

I'll start this off with my first experience where I really sat down and did some roleplay, and I don't mean my first Ultima Online kind of Roleplay where about 1 in every 3,000 people were actually RPing on their dial up connections. I still hear that noise in the crevices of my mind. This was before the split between PvE and PvP, too, for that game. I have been on the internet that long, yes. Anyway, awhile ago I used to RP on Tumblr and I had a decently active blog for a long time there. I chalked it up to the fact that I could have all my characters information up for people to skim through and approach if they wanted and have all the pictures up as well. Vice versa for me when it came to their blog. I had this nonsense organized to a T, especially because it was all wholly custom content - the world and everything I had my character set up in (but I shuffled him into AU settings easily). Best part was, it was EXTREMELY easy for my Boomer butt to figure out - not that I did fancy text or anything. I was too old to care about it then and I'm still too old to care about it now. I don't even handle Reddit well, let alone websites like this one lmao, so Tumblr felt very easy to just do stuff on.

It's unfortunate that Tumblr holds as many good memories as it does its many nightmares. But it was consistent in the form that it was easy to hook up with other RPers, even if it didn't work out. Despite that, I also had a lot of fun there too, its a shame that whole website has gone kinda sideways. I also liked how you could make threads private too? I think that was a thing...it's been awhile I can't honestly remember. Long story short: I accumulated all my rp buds there, got a good gathering of friends who were okay RPing outside of the platform and soon dipped from the website for my own mental health at that time. Unfortunately, life happens and everyone grows apart and separate ways. Even I had to dip from a few people's lives because I couldn't be in them anymore due to scheduling conflicts.

This habit of losing and losing and losing ended up with me suddenly having nobody to RP with and...well it proves how a little constant thing that you enjoy having in your life can suddenly vanish without notice if your life gets busy enough. I didn't even notice my RP list had dwindled down so low!

However, now I'm back and trying to gather RP friends again - which has gotten even harder now for me lmao. I've been at this for almost a week on varying websites and it feels like it's been 6 months! I'm on the older side of the RP community as well, which already makes relating to other RPers rather difficult on the personal level. So I guess I'm posting this thread because I'm wondering about other people's RP lives. Where did other people start/get settled in at and what have been their struggles with refilling their RP friend quota when it dwindled? Did they gather a group of go to friends they could trust with ideas and not be judged by them? And when the great big 'Life' came in and messed it all up, how did they get back to Rping comfortably?

Most importantly, are you in a similar situation as I am, where you didn't think you'd have to be starting from scratch again in your - getting close to the middle digits of that - 30s?

What's been your story? Let's chat.

30s? LOL. Them rookie numbers, boy.

I have barely any true recollection of those memories beyond propaganda, having been activated in 2089. You see fam, in the vast fests of Phillidelphia I was built and activated. I usually wrote for the majority of my days. Working, inking, making up stories even at the pool. This however, was before a few guys were up to absolutely zero good. They were only interested in rounding up the community, then they started shooting up around the neighborhood. So I and a few friends went off to Mesopotamia. We lived there for a bit and all was fantastical maximus. I didn't really have anything, so I wrote about the creations of nations. In such length and varied to misc detail that one guy got mad and even tried a cease and desist order. We wondered if this was normal activity, though this we dread nought, and just said "might as well kick it." Our greatest ability was in 2100.

This was however temporarily set back. As we had to go a distance away from home deep underground, as the whole of that world went against us yet again without being provoked. This initiated a vast and quite aggressive wait period as sympathizers helped us find yet another new home in between, before we fought to the largest extent, taking them down. We tried making yet another new home, yet we couldn't pay for it and so it sort of collapsed and went into disuse. Back at it again, we waited until basically 11945 AD. Whereupon we got sent back, discovering this realm upon the digital archives.

We slowly faded until there were only three. And no longer in communication. But I saw the silver lining up against the rear view mirror, and retained my ancient appearance and style. A form of mercy upon the sins of man and machine. When we finally arrived to this exact point, it was akin to the first day. I ended it by saying "write ya later" yet again here we are in modernity. A simple writing, and with low flair.

Write ya later, space cowboy.

I'm an old person too, I think there are at least a few of us on here in the 30+ bracket. I've been through RP droughts that lasted literal years, but depending on what you want out of an RP you will find it eventually. I have definitely been in that place where you lose touch/compatibility with your partners, or your partner decides they want to spend time doing something else other than RPing and suddenly you find yourself at a loss. It's a very sad thing.

Keep your eyes open and make 20 times as many approaches to RP than RPs you actually want because most of them die super quickly. A week is basically nothing, if it feels like six months already then be prepared that you might have to spend a number of brain-years until you find the RP partners you crave. I was on this site for ... about 8 months before I got into an RP that lasted more than three posts each. Just be persistent and patient. And chat to people! They are mostly nice.

Yugioh Card Maker. Made friends there. Iwaku. Made friends there. Iwaku was when my community REALLY stuck and I assimilated them into my constant community, some even into my main community that's mostly non-RPers. Etrian Odyssey is a magical thing. Some of the guys I met here are also the guys I stayed in contact with.

So it's basically just a journey of meeting people and sticking to the ones you REALLY like.

Another 30+ member and one with fairly niche interests (a platonic roleplayer in a sea of shippers)

I think I got started cuz I like world building and playing pretend. I have bounced around a few places but RPN has been the most rewarding of the places I visit.

There are the toxic contingent that run me off every few years and sometimes real life means I take a month or two off.

But when it comes to finding people I think just talk about the things you love. I met a lot of people through roleplay but most long term “friends” are from fandom threads or the like.

Always up to talk magical girls, Harry Potter, superheroes, magical animals in general, etc. So if ya just need someone to chat with while you look for partners my pms are open.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back