Legend of the Gray Truth

DemetrioMachete

Messiah of the New Night
Within the annals of the Pantheon of Saint Cuthbert, God of Knowledge, Common Sense and Zeal, there lies the record of forge, wherein all weapons and tools crafted by the God and his Subjects are written. After the creation of the Cudgel, the Mace, and the Shield of Cuthbert, a Sword was forged. The God himself despised blades and would not use it; but instead, this sword, which he christened "The Gray Truth", would be bestowed upon a champion of his Faith, and his ancestors.

The first Champion that was selected by Cuthbert was a Cleric named Klydebern. Of all men and women that served Cuthbert dutifully, Klydebern was revered for his plainness, his ability to face all threats with a straight face, and his combat prowess. Even with just an ordinary mace and crossbow, Klydebern and his companions were responsible for the downfall and defeats of Organized Crime syndicates, Necromancing Liches, several demons, and even the Mighty Wizard Acius Moonsalt. For his deeds, Klydebern was bestowed the Gray Truth, and he swore to cherish it for as long as he lived.

The Gray Truth itself is a sword that feeds off of good and evil, growing stronger when in the presence of beings whom exhume those alignments. By itself, the blade is a longsword of masterful quality, able to sever limbs like butter, slash through leather, break apart chainmail, and even pierce plate armor. When in the presence of something evil, the blade of the Gray Truth begins to turn black, and hum with a grim tune. In the presence of Good, the Gray Truth turns white, and emits a sound like ringing bells. Whether feeding on Good or Evil, the Gray Truth's abilities expand. It becomes able to block, reflect, and cut right through magical projectiles, damage intangible beings, as well as grow powerful enough to break other magical weapons.

Klydebern's history with the Gray Truth was short, but bloody. After being separated from his comrades, Klydebern mistakenly entered a portal to the Demon realms. Unfazed, and determined to find a way home, he wandered aimlessly through the Hellscape, systematically killing any and all demons that dared cross his path. The stench of corpses lingered for years, and even the mightiest demons, with all of their power, failed to defeat Klydebern before succumbing to his magic blade. The Cleric was only stopped from his killing spree when the nearest Demon Lord, fearing for their life, banished Klydebern from ever entering Hell again, and soon, he was returned to the Material Plane.

A few years after the demonic slaughter, Klydebern's allies perished one by one, and the Cleric fell into a depression. He gathered their bodies, and spent his accumulated wealth to construct for them, a tomb. They were glorious warriors, all of them. This was the least he could have done. When the tomb was finished, and his allies buried, Klydebern petrified himself, holding to the Gray Truth. Upon his altar, is carved this phrase.

Until the day my successor arrive,

Alive in stone I shall thrive.

My days of battle are well and done

I've established my legacy, my foes know to run.

This was a really interesting read! Nicw work!

So will we be robbing the tomb described in the rp? I think that would be great! You better make it fun for us with booby traps!

Last edited by a moderator:
When the time comes, yes we shall. I am uncertain if Oromis will reach the group first but I am looking forward to the graverobbing. I will have to think of some ways to foil progress...

Users who are viewing this thread