• If your recruitment thread involves completely going off site with your partner(s) then it belongs in the Off-Site Ad Area.
  • This area of the site is governed by the official Recruitment rules. Whether you are looking for players or looking for a roleplay, we recommend you read them and familiarize your self with them. Read the Recruitment Rules Here.

Legacies of Atlantis - Underwater Fantasy Nation builder

Beckoncall

World-Weaver and servant to the most-holy PC
Supporter
It is the dawn of a new age. Atlantis, great capital over all oceans, has fallen in ancient history. The seas have risen higher than ever before in the planets history, and the majority of the surface waters not along the equator are perpetually frozen. Life that has not adapted or formed of the sea has died out long ago.

Beneath these deep seas, Factions of Sea Creatures rise from the ruins to sift through the legacy of the ages and to stake their own claim over the oceans and seas of this mysterious world.

Merkind, Pelagians, Deep ones, Fish men, Kuo-Toa, Crustacius, Shamblers, Ichtysatyrs, Ichtycentaurs, Ichtytauren, Nixies, Nerid, and all manner of creatures of the mysterious depths or once great civilizations beneath the waves have begun to stir again. Sunlight and magic have begun to return to the drowned planet.

The first of Atlantis' seven global wonders -- the Golden Grotto, has been uncovered by the ice. Numerous factions will settle in the golden grotto, develop their civilizations/colonies and hope to discover further secrets of ancient Atlantis that will take them to further wonders, new places to command and conquer, and eventually through cooperation or strife, some shall inherit the Legacies of Atlantis.

The tides Beckon -- will YOU sent your expedition to the Golden Grotto?

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

This is an undersea Nation Builder loosely based on my extremely successful previous nationbuilder "Lost Continent -- Flight from Muurdaan" which is presently resting at 1100+ posts and 37k+ views.

Players will create leaders and factions of troops to send to "The Golden Grotto" where the quest to develop a colony and rebuild/rediscover/unlock the ancient civilization of Atlantis that has fallen in the previous era.

You could be one such leader. Each leader shall guide a faction, and the factions will co-operate, compete, and make or break the community in this new world. Can the settlers put aside the grudges and vendettas of the old world behind? Can diverse races and cultures live together side by side in a hostile wilderness and establish a common law? Time will tell.

NOTE: This is a detailed fantasy nation building game that has it's emphasis in resource/people management, struggling against adversity, risk, and loss. DO NOT consider joining this game if you: Don't like reading or making detailed posts regularly or are only interested in seeing your character win (this game has dice AND loss and death can be EXPECTED if characters are reckless.) Also, bigotry, racial tension, as well as issues of diversity are themes as well, be warned!

This is just the basic interest check for the concept, once there are enough players I will create a more regular thread with a formal player application, Information necessary for creating a faction and fleshing out starting wealth, materials, and troops.

Anybody from my Previous Nation Builder as well as newcomers are welcome, if they are a good fit to the game and contribute to the evolution of the story! Feel free to ask me questions in this thread or to DM me, or contact me via Discord at BeckonCall#2508

Hope we can get this concept off the ground! Thanks for reading!

How detailed of posts are you looking for?

Detailed, but that doesn't have to mean LONG -- (though that could sometimes be appropriate.) For an idea of how posts should be, check out my older game here:

Sounds interesting! I feel like I need to ask... just how big is the Grotto? Aka, how close would one be to their neighbors? :closed eyes open smile:

The Grotto is a deep crater in the shallows of the ocean. Picture a broken circle of islands forming a wall around a deep ocean crater. There will be room to settle on either side of the wall all along it's depths, the areas outside of the wall and inside the Grotto itself. The Grotto itself is city-sized so numerous factions could inhabit the grotto without being too close for comfort.

You make me want to make a map -- So I will if that helps!

Map will take a couple days to produce... I hope we get more interest by then!

I want to make it topographical with various biomes. We’ll see how I do.

Last edited:
I think to save time and because it's already awesome, I'll be using a variation of the SUBNAUTICA map. I might make some changes but we'll see how it goes... the subnautica map looks like this:

Attachments

• 10-8-2016_biome_maps-02.png
    10-8-2016_biome_maps-02.png
    875.3 KB · Views: 15
Everybody will start either in the safe shallows and kelp forests of the center of the map, unless they are creatures that prefer much deeper environments.

There will be a subterranean element to the map that for now will be secret/obscured.

Basically everyone will have to search around and find the Golden Grotto but this map is big enough for numerous factions to occupy a singular zone.

Players will have the choice to be part of "the new atlantean alliance" (who get bonus points to start because of community but are obligated to cooperate) and solo factions (who may get material but not manpower bonuses and act more independently.

I think most fantasy races will have undersea equivalents and any kind of sea creature could be worked into a viable race.

I'm not sure if it's too early to suggest where we'd hope/like to start, but I went ahead and picked out a spot.

image.jpg

Hey very much interested. Question relating to the map: Which are the deeper areas? I'd like to play as a race of semi-anthropomorphic deep-sea fish, the shallows and the kelp forest seem like they'd be a little too, well, shallow for a starting location. Would the Dunes represent deeper waters?

Here are the kinds of fish I was planning to emulate:

Hey very much interested. Question relating to the map: Which are the deeper areas? I'd like to play as a race of semi-anthropomorphic deep-sea fish, the shallows and the kelp forest seem like they'd be a little too, well, shallow for a starting location. Would the Dunes represent deeper waters?

Here are the kinds of fish I was planning to emulate:

View attachment 602841
View attachment 602845

The dunes are deeper, but still pretty sunny and there is little cover in the dunes except for the dunes themselves, and there are larger predators out in the dunes. That said, These guys look nasty enough to handle it. Maybe they'd be comfy in deeper parts of the dunes though. We'll See! <3

Can we get a brief description of the starting areas? Would help those who haven't had the chance to play Subnautica too!

Can we get a brief description of the starting areas? Would help those who haven't had the chance to play Subnautica too!

There's a subnautica Wiki I just found which describes the various biomes. Don't know to what extent we'll be staying true to those descriptions, though.

I'll give you a bit of information about each of the areas (which DO NOT translate directly between subnautica -- partly to make the game ahem *Deeper* and not a re-hash. I'll give some explanations of the areas - although the subnautica wiki is also a GREAT place to look at especially for the pictures that will help immersion, (I may be using several of them!) --- it is also worth noting that if the RP is successful, this might only be one of SEVERAL maps that lead to the wonders of Atlantis. The Golden Grotto is hidden somewhere on the map and you will likely need clues to find it. I am hoping that if the RP is successful I will be able to make maps of subsequent areas in my own right -- but many of the biomes will be the same (I may also freely add points of interest and new areas as I see fit)

Here is a link to the Interactive map of subnautica -- Which has links to each Biome's wiki page with pictures of the areas:

With that said I'll talk about the starting areas... and let people discover/explore the rest of the map for resources/flora/fauna/etc.

Shallows: (0-80 meters) "Safe Shallows" is a misnomer as there are several types of flora and fauna here that could be dangerous to the unwary. Known for numerous caves, rock formations, and ample coral and plant life as well as relatively small fish -- these areas are occasionally hunted in by larger predators and docile giants alike. Coral tubes criss-cross the shallows, creating tunnels through the sand and rock. Particularly well lit during the day, it can be a scary place to be at night when creatures of the kelp forests range out to hunt.

The Safe Shallows contains coral reefs sprawling over a large part of the area, with small cave systems that can be found beneath the surface. As the name implies, this biome is one of the safest in the game, as it is a relatively shallow area, there are few environmental hazards, and no predators call this biome home. However, caution should still be used for the occasional Gasopods and other cetaceans passing through, and the caves are frequently home to hostile Crashfish. Some predators are also known to wander here from adjacent biomes, namely Stalkers from the Kelp Forests, and Sand Sharks from the Grassy Plateaus.

Harvestable materials and minerals are common in the Shallows, and it is rumored Atlantian artifacts can be uncovered here as well.

_______

Kelp Forest: (0-160 meters)

It is located at medium-shallow depths, and is home to mostly passive life forms, with the only exceptions being Stalkers and poisonous jellies. The seabed is mostly mossy and sandy, with the terrain being comprised of grassy knolls and arches, which sometimes shows entrances to small cavern systems. There are also many canyons to be found in these forests. There is a lot of decorative flora on the sandy, grassy bottom.

The deepest interiors of the kelp forests can be very murky and dark -- an ideal environment for ambush predators -- and there are numerous cave systems -- some very deep -- at the bottoms and along the cliffs the creeper vines grow along. Creeper bulbs are known as sustainable light sources, food for some creatures, and a source of oils, lubricants and waxes for the resource minded.

Stalkers -- lithe serpent-like fish are common here, with some specimens in the deep kelp being abnormally large. Caution is advised.

_________

Grassy Plateaus: (50-150 meters)

Grassy Plateaus cover vast areas where the seafloor is too deep or strongly currented for Creepvine/Kelp to take hold. They feature a great diversity of life forms.

Grassy Plateaus are characterized by large, pillar-like structures seemingly created from water current erosion, smooth marine plains, and sandy terrain almost completely carpeted with Blood Grass, a common carpet lifeform in the biome, giving the Grassy Plateaus their distinctive name. While exploring the Grassy Plateaus, it is advised to look around their surroundings more carefully for schools of biting fish, pack hunters, and to stay far away from suspicious sand clouds, as Sand Sharks dwell abundantly in this biome. Certain poisonous and aggressive types of plants, and other types of hazard, can also be found in this biome.

Here, the player is offered with a great abundance of resources. Besides creature eggs and other common raw materials, Minerals and metals can be found attached to other rock structures or hidden within the patches of Bloodgrass. This biome also features several small caverns -- though some of these caves are particularly deep and hazardous.

Dunes: (65-400 meters)

The dunes are terribly bright and shiny during the day as light focused through the ice or holes therein is particularly reflective against the sandy surfaces -- by night the most reflective silt still shimmers in the broken light of the moons. Glass and metals can be harvested from the dunes if one is dedicated enough, and there is evidence of meteor impacts that may have buried mineral and gemstone deposits beneath the sands. While the dunes contain few cave systems -- those that exist are quite deep and alien from the biome at the surface, and the area is known for having sinkholes -- some permanent and some a product of the shifting currents and sands.

Very Large Predators -- and that which they would feed upon -- make their homes in the dunes and as such particular caution is advised here. Scouts have been lost assaying this biome.

NO Scouts have been recovered alive from deeper biomes from the vanguard forces than of these biomes -- They will need to be explored on their own and their mysteries unraveled. As such initial settlement will only be allowed at the above areas.

I think we have about 7 or 8 people... so we should start talking about factions and starting areas. I'll post a formal application soon so people will know what to expect that will come in 2 parts -- no sense doing the whole thing if you're not cut out for the game or it isn't your cup of tea.

To people who are SERIOUS about being PLAYERS in part of this game please post here -- you can also DM me with questions but I think it's better if questions are addressed in the thread!

PART ONE:

1) What race or races would you be interested in playing? What are your reasons for these choices? What might they bring to the colony that is an advantage?

If you don't see the race you want here -- WE CAN BUILD IT -- come up with pictures of a sea creature and we can work on a race, faction/culture, and point values for your units. I just want to throw out a broad beginning for people to start with.

A non-definitive list so far is:
Mer(maids/men) -- Unlike Pelagians, The Mer are able to change their tails into feet when they exit the water -- though with the exception of non-flooded cave areas it is questionable there will be much occasion to make this distinction.
Pelagians -- Like the Mer, Pelagians have the upper bodies of humans and the lower bodies of fish, often in more spectacular colors. Pelagians historically have ruled deeper areas of the sea than the Mer and would argue they are more fit to -- though the Mer would contest this.
Tritons -- More fish-like than Pelagians and Mer, these creatures are fishlike or reptillian above the waist and below the waist terminate in Fish bodies, webbed and flippered legs, or the ability to switch between both. Tritons are known to be able to breathe out of water for extended periods of time, not as long as the Mer, but longer than the Pelagian. Like Fish, Tritons have immense species and racial diversity.
Icthi-Sylvan -- Sea Elves, also knows as Nixies.
Icthi-Centaurs -- The bodies of large men and the bodies of speedy, armored sea-horses.
Capricorns -- Massive beast-folk with the heads of rams, furry upper bodies, and the tails of great fish.
Mer-Dwarves -- Especially suited to caves and the dark.
Lizardfolk -- Although amphibious, many type of lizard folk took to the eternal seas when the surface froze over. They are extremely able swimmers and most species have evolved the ability to no longer need to return to the surface.
Locustam -- Lobster Folk -- heavily armored but slow when the tides are not in their favor, and terribly deadly when the current is enough to help wield their builk.
Shrimpie -- Tinier crustacean folk, not known for their intellect but known for copious numbers, eagerness, and lack of fear.
Shamblers -- Large and gorrila like in stature (the stand on all four limbs) they are very strong and versatile creatures that evolved in the shallows and once dwelled as readily on land as in the sea.
Deep Ones -- Amphibians said to have been the product of ancient hybridization between frog-fish and humans when the world was still warm, These creatures are mysterious and some are bioluminescent. As their name suggests they are comfortable in the depths as much as they are in the shallows.
'Leth -- Long before the ages of Atlantis, the mysterious ABOLETH ruled the oceans and throughout all time the deepest reaches of the seas is where they have hidden and thrived. While a fully grown Aboleth (Called a "Mind Lord" is almost unheard of in these times to leave their deepest sunken cities -- juvenile 'leth, knows and Gibboleth and Gibbodai have taken up the quest for Atlantis and the golden grotto. They resemble three-eyed carp with venomous tentacles and are known to enslave "lesser beings." The Gibboleth themselves are relatively physically weak until they reach sufficient age and power -- and they value their lives to the point other races might judge as cowardice. Gibboleth are the young thinkers and planners of 'Leth society, and Gibbodai are the effectuators, warriors and doers of the race when they cannot get other creatures to do their work for them.
Octopoids -- Often called "Flayers" by their enemies, these creatures have the heads of cephalopods, the trunk and arms of a humanoid, and the legs of an octopus or squid. They are known to wear more armor than other species and some can camouflage themselves.
Sharcon -- Simply put, Sharcon are the hybridization of humanoids (barely) with that of sharks and other cartilaginous fish.

Really any race concept is up for discussion as long as it's not too OP. this is just a SAMPLE of where we can go with this... eel people, starfish, anemone... you have a vision, we can try to make it work.

Other races are possible, but must be hashed out with the GM to assure familiarity and balance suitable for the game world.

2) What kind of character is your leader? What class or classes do you see them being? This world has both clerical and arcane magics -- most character archetypes should be acceptable. Besides race and class share a little bit about them, maybe a potential hook or two about their past, special perks or weaknesses they might have... anything else that might give your character color. Suggestions include why the character wants to take a likely one-way trip from the known world to seek the ruins of the ancient atlantis, and how your character views the (somewhat well-meaning but also potentially restrictive) authority of the "New Atlantean Alliance" (more on them later, just imagine a fledgling empire that is attempting to reunite all the peoples of the sea under one banner) -- factions that recognize the authority of the new Atlantean Alliance start with more manpower than players that don't, but may not enjoy the same autonomy as those that aren't -- as they may have taxes, tithes, assignments and expectations of them to the larger alliance.

3) Are you interested in play by post, RPing in real-time chat, or both? Presently I am thinking mostly PbP, but if more than one player can be in chat at a time, certain debates, political events, or even adventure/exploration can happen in real time... depending on interest and capacity to line up at the same time. Alternatively, Single players might have 1 on 1 walkthroughs of "town" where they examine/address things happening in the community.

4) What about this campaign peaked your interest? So I can be sure to "give them what they want", what aspects of RPing do you most enjoy? Diplomacy? Exploration? Getting Loot? Hack and Slash? Intrigue? Stealth? Mystery? Whatever attracts you the most -- If there are common favored themes I will be sure to put more thought into those aspects. Any of the above may be a part, though needn't necessarily be.

5) PM (or Post) me your age and a little about yourself, I'll share right back to "meet you." Makes sense when making friends, yes? Don't worry about judgement on the basis of age -- maturity, interest, and consistency are are the mainstays of any game I find.

After the first part is completed and suitability to participate as well as the core concept of the faction is hashed out (in PM or in the forums) you will be called upon to complete part 2.

PART TWO: (where you will post the agreed upon characteristics and details negotiated between the DM from your original ideas)

1) Your character: Name, class/archetype, preferred weapons and talents, perks and drawbacks as you perceive them. A lot of this has been related in either between us or in the part one, but having it central and properly elucidated will be great here. What you look like, what you do, basically whatever is pertinent about the leader.

2) Include whatever pertinent info about your faction... what is your culture like, anything the GM and other players may or may not know about your beliefs, religion, habits, biases (especially how you feel towards the New Atlantean Alliance) In as much detail as you care to. If you leave things ambiguous I will just have your settlers bring their own habits and beliefs with them which will present themselves through wants and NPC interaction. Your culture may be well formed or develop over your involvement in the game, but ways and beliefs are an important aspect of the game so you must have some in mind.

3) Goals and Ambitions -- what does your leader hope to accomplish in the new world? What plans or ideas do they have so far relating to the colony?

4) Faction Demographics -- This is where you spent your points establishing how many and of what type of people you are bringing. At the end of part one when your character and race choices are approved, you will be given an amount of MANPOWER, reflecting how well financed your initial expedition to the new world is. Alliance factions may get material advantages at the start, but obligations, loyalty and mistrust stemming from those ties are a definite counter-balance to any such boosts. The typical player has 200 manpower to start with (300 if you are alliance), and will have a range of options with how to spend it based on the type of race and culture they have chosen. Typically the more powerful or exotic a being or worker is, the more manpower they cost. Exotic players can expect to be small minorities (at least at first) and may have all sorts of challenges ranging from language barriers to old world prejudice. Having more followers gives you more political clout and hands to do work for your faction and the larger co-operative or singular enterprise, but some players may decide that having relatively fewer members, but filling vital niches in the community, will be a better way to go. CHOOSE WISELY!

5) Each leader at the start of the game receives a special item: A Jewel of Divinity -- it is said the powers of these items brought the Old world to it's knees and brought about the new frozen and oceanic age. You must choose a gem of Earth, Air, Fire, Water, Nature, Bone, Blood, or Stars -- What the stones do is uncertain, but experimenting with them can unlock their secrets. So far it has been determined that the power of the stones can be spent to further a specific intent by a leader or mage, used to enchant a weapon/armor/item, or to empower a building or structure with magical properties.

FINAL NOTE: The inclusion of additional players is subject to how fast (or slow) the game is moving and whether adding them is best for the game. If other GMs join me in helping to move the game forward it may enable the game to carry more players, or for existing ones to move faster.

IF INTERESTED IN BECOMING A GM (add'l GMs may or may not be a thing) PM me and we'll talk about it, probably long and serious-like. We'd have to be really compatible, you'd have to be able to mesh your vision of the game you'd like to run in the context of the existing world (which is pretty broad and nebulous, actually) -- and you'd have to gel well with the other players. It's something I'd consider if there were interested parties.

GraveTrout GraveTrout , Heyitsjiwon Heyitsjiwon , Bone2pick Bone2pick , Pat Pat , Northless Northless , NekoQueen49 NekoQueen49 , LadyOfStars LadyOfStars

Consider this your official summons to submit a part one for your faction! Don't jump ahead to part two... I'll be taking what you give me in part one and developing the concept with (or without) you which we may take into DMs or Discord to hash out. Only when you have a TROOP LIST (that you spend your manpower on) can you continue to part 2 of the character creation. :D <3

I hope to hear from everybody soon, and maybe catch a latecomer or two. :)

--Beck

PART ONE:

1) What race or races would you be interested in playing? What are your reasons for these choices? What might they bring to the colony that is an advantage?

1. One of these three... maybe a combination of the three?

1. Selkies - Seal-humanlike shapeshifters, very charismatic/attractive
2. Water Genasi - Descendants of the children of Water Spirits/Genies and Mortal relations. Naturally talented water mages
3. 'Leth - A true rag to riches story type of creature!

The reason I am interested in these three is the fact that they allow for some versatility while having one "specialization" that can be focused on. The Selkies are generally amiable, but focused on freedom (generally Chaotic-good). Thus, they are generally helpful people who would help those that they can... as long as it doesn't entangle them with obligations (like the Alliance). The Water Genasi are somewhat similar, but more neutral. Still, their abilities as water mages and general genetic diversity seem like they would be helpful to the colony. Finally, the Leth would be largely... self-interested. That said, they wouldn't be needlessly cruel and offer aid when needed to the colony especially if it benefits the Leth as well. They would be the definition of quid pro quo and assuming that most of the Leths in the beginning are Gibboleths, then they WILL HAVE TO find some compromise to be able to grow and learn with the Colony.

The main reason that any of these races came to the region is to find about more of their past and perhaps find a way to secure prosperity for their peoples.

2) Character would largely focus on helping their people grow as each of these races are rather... independent. They (archetypally) races that typically do not stick together since they are all usually more on the chaotic side of things. But when things are difficult and hard... sometimes you HAVE to work together if you're going to survive. It's a dog eat dog world out there... gotta become the bigger dog somehow.

As for class, I was thinking something along the lines of a Warlord/Mastermind/Merchant. Typically more in the support/logistics/back lines/planning, but when needed can fight when needed. It's just that depending on the race they would be differing amounts of charitable/generous. But in the end, they're trying to help their people and the colony as a whole.

3) I would say.... 70-80% PbP and the rest irl. Having some DnD esque adventures here and there in discord would be cool! But the majority should be posts.

4) Exploration of and interaction with the Lore!

5) I'm a young, working adult in the East Coast of the US. I think a lot of people would say I'm a pretty detailed focused person who tends to sift through things with a fine-toothed comb as I like to try and find little gems in the mud. Anyways, I'm fortunate to know several people who have posted here, but feel free to reach out to me if you've got questions or anything. I'm pretty friend and don't bite... hard.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back